Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it


Schengen visa for South African travelling from the UK


New Member
Camino(s) past & future
Feb 2013 for two weeks - no idea of route!!
Hi all,

I did a search on the Schengen topic and could only find some quite old threads. I am hoping to walk some of the Camino in November. I have a SA passport with a UK residence visa (expiring 22 Feb 2015).
I looked up on the net and the visa appliation requirements are almost impossible to fulfill. Has anyone had any experience of this lately or suggestions of agents in the UK perhaps that could assist?
I am self employed so can't get a letter from an employer or payslips, and I don't have an accountant! (They want a signed letter from an accountant if you are self employed). Am feeling completely stuck. :(
They also want proof of accommodation for every night of your trip! I was planning to go acrosswith a friend on the ferry via France, but they want proof of ownership of vehichle, and other assorted info. It just seems like madness.
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Heather. Many pilgrims from outside the Schengen area undertake the Camino without a months worth of pre-booked accomodation. And I don't think you need a letter from employer / accountant etc if you can show that you have sufficient means to support yourself during your visit to the Schengen region. Presumably a bank statement or two would suffice.

This website seems to set out the criteria quite clearly, though being an insurance company they would obviously like you to buy their travel insurance package. As an expat in the UK I assume you are already adequately insured and will just need to provide the necessary evidence

A Credencial (pilgrim passport) is sufficient "documentary evidence of the purpose of your visit", bank statements will cover "means of support" and a return 'plane, train or ferry ticket covers the "round trip travel" requirement ie you intend to leave as well as arrive. I have not been able to find any requirement to establish ownership of a vehicle to obtain a Schengen visa. Eurotunnel and the ferry companies will want proof that the driver of a vehicle is entitled to drive it but that is nothing to do with Schengen requirements.

Take a couple of deep breaths, fill in the form and send / take it to the French / Spanish / wherever that you intend to enter Fortress Schengen.

And Buen Camino


Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

  • January

    Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

    Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

    Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

    Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

    Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

    Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

    Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

    Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

    Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

    Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

    Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

    Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock