• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Schengen visa for South African travelling from the UK

HeatherPenrith

Time of past OR future Camino
Feb 2013 for two weeks - no idea of route!!
Hi all,

I did a search on the Schengen topic and could only find some quite old threads. I am hoping to walk some of the Camino in November. I have a SA passport with a UK residence visa (expiring 22 Feb 2015).
I looked up on the net and the visa appliation requirements are almost impossible to fulfill. Has anyone had any experience of this lately or suggestions of agents in the UK perhaps that could assist?
I am self employed so can't get a letter from an employer or payslips, and I don't have an accountant! (They want a signed letter from an accountant if you are self employed). Am feeling completely stuck. :(
They also want proof of accommodation for every night of your trip! I was planning to go acrosswith a friend on the ferry via France, but they want proof of ownership of vehichle, and other assorted info. It just seems like madness.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Heather. Many pilgrims from outside the Schengen area undertake the Camino without a months worth of pre-booked accomodation. And I don't think you need a letter from employer / accountant etc if you can show that you have sufficient means to support yourself during your visit to the Schengen region. Presumably a bank statement or two would suffice.

This website https://www.axa-schengen.com/en/visa-info seems to set out the criteria quite clearly, though being an insurance company they would obviously like you to buy their travel insurance package. As an expat in the UK I assume you are already adequately insured and will just need to provide the necessary evidence

A Credencial (pilgrim passport) is sufficient "documentary evidence of the purpose of your visit", bank statements will cover "means of support" and a return 'plane, train or ferry ticket covers the "round trip travel" requirement ie you intend to leave as well as arrive. I have not been able to find any requirement to establish ownership of a vehicle to obtain a Schengen visa. Eurotunnel and the ferry companies will want proof that the driver of a vehicle is entitled to drive it but that is nothing to do with Schengen requirements.

Take a couple of deep breaths, fill in the form and send / take it to the French / Spanish / wherever that you intend to enter Fortress Schengen.

And Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back