• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Schengen

riatolken

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk end of may 2013
Hi there, We are going to do the Camino de Santiago from Jean Pied de Port and would like to know, traveling from South Africa, how do we give proof of where we will be staying, as we are not booking anything in advance. What will be the requirements for obtaining a Schengen visa? : :D thanks a lot, Ria

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ria, if you type in Schengen in the search engine you will find much wisdom.

Welcome.

riatolken said:
Hi there, We are going to do the Camino de Santiago from Jean Pied de Port and would like to know, traveling from South Africa, how do we give proof of where we will be staying, as we are not booking anything in advance. What will be the requirements for obtaining a Schengen visa? : :D thanks a lot, Ria

Hi There

Please visit http://www.csjofsa.za.org

The Confraternity of South Africa has all the required information.
Once registered you will collect a letter and your Camino Passport from the secretary.
The letter is used when applying for the Schengen, you will not need pre booked accommodation.

Send me a PM for more information as I can assist with the Schengen visa process and website.

Regards,
Darren

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
5 years ago people applying for a Schengen Visa through the Spanish Embassies had a very hard time because they had no invitation to visit Spain, no accommodation and, in some instances, were going to be in Spain for many weeks.

I had a meeting with the Pretoria Consulate and asked if there was a way they could make it easier for pilgrims. They decided that the best way was for people planning on walking the Camino with no accommodation booked ahead to join the CSJ, include a copy of the 'credencial' and a Visa letter with their applications.

Clause 8 of the Schengen Application requirements deals with Camino pilgrims.

It states that applicants planning on walking the Camino de Santiago should apply to the CSJ of SA for a 'credencial' and send a copy of the front page as well as a Visa Letter from them confirming that they are a member and that they are walking the Camino.

Its a pity that you have to join an organisation but this was the only way they would accept applications from people walking the Camino.

Sillydoll, do you know if there is something similar for people wanting to do other long distance walks in Europe? My big goal is to walk the Iron Curtain Trail, but Schengen issues seem to make it an impossibility to do in one hit.

The Schengen states adhere to the same rules and regulations and all are strict about enforcing the maximum 90 days visit in any 6 month period. It was possible for a friend to walk the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome in 2007 because at the stage Switzerland hadn't yet joined and he had 10 days or so walking in Switzerland. Now it is almost impossible to walk the entire distance unless you skip sections so as not to exceed the 90 day restriction.

You'll have to find out if any of the 20 countries are not part of the Schengen agreement.

20 nations are part of the Iron Curtain Trail project, among them 14 members of the EU.

The path starts at the Barents Sea along the Norwegian-Russian and Finnish-Russian border, passes a short stretch of the coasts of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, Kaliningrad, Poland and the former GDR. From Lübeck to the three-nation border (Saxony-Bavaria-Czech Republic) the path follows the former German-German border. Then it follows the highlands of the Bohemian Forest, passes Moravia and the Slovak capital of Bratislava and crosses the Danube near Vienna.

It then follows the southern border of Hungary via Slovenia and Croatia. Between Rumania and Serbia it follows in the main the Danube, and, via Bulgaria, Macedonia and Greece to end at the northernmost point of Turkey on the Black Sea coast.

The Schengen alliance includes:
Austria
- Belgium
- Czech Republic
- Denmark
- Estonia
- Finland
- France
- Germany
- Greece
- Hungary
- Iceland (not a European Union Member State)
- Italy
- Latvia
- Liechtenstein (not a European Union Member State)
- Lithuania
- Luxembourg
- Malta
- Netherlands
- Norway (not a European Union Member State)
- Poland
- Portugal
- Slovenia
- Slovakia
- Spain
- Sweden
- Swiss (not a European Union Member State)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
riatolken said:
Hi Ria
I am looking forward to you contacting the Confraternity of St James of South Africa. http://www.csjofsa.za.org/ All our details are on the web page.
Pam

I am currently in the process of joining the Confraternity of St James, and this is something I am more than happy to do for the assistance they can give in applying for the Visa. I am dealing with a lady named Pam, and she has been very friendly and helpful. My concern is just around the Occupation part of the visa application. I resigned at the end of September, and have no intention of going back into that line of work. In fact, that is what I want to obtain more clarity on while on the Camino: what is my life purpose, and what do I need to do to achieve it. Is the Spanish Consulate understanding on that point? I am traveling alone to a country I have no friends or family in, and leaving my kids and husband at home. I have the funds/medical aid, etc, I truly hope that the job that I hated to much by the end hasn't got another opportunity to take a jab at me.

Oh! Look at that! The post above is the self same Pam I mentioned in my post. Hello Pam!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Monya, you can list your occupation as housewife.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back