• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scientific Proof That Bag Rustling is Painful

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am walking my first Camino and taken care to purchase no friction bags. Less noise!

The private room option at albergues completely eliminates this issue for early risers. My wife and I have done the bunk room thing, for those that think it adds to the Camino experience, great. We participate in the communal dinners at albergues, have lots of great discussions with our fellow pilgrims, but when it is time to get a good nights sleep, we appreciate the private room option. Also we are among those 'annoying' early risers. With our private room we can get packed up and get on the trail early and enjoy the best part of the day and not impact any other pilgrims sleep.
It is great to have this choice most nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For all you 4:00 am bag rustlers, here is scientific proof that your mindless bag rustling actually causes physical pain to some people:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38842561
The article says: One idea is that low levels of targeted electricity passed through the skull, which is known to adjust brain function, could help.

Great! More electrical outlet usage.

I have often lain in the bunk, in the dark, shaking my head and thought "can you please just take the damn thing into the common area of the albergue (or outside)?".....ha ha
I have no idea why that wouldn't be one's first instinct? That or just having everything 99% ready to go the night before.

Plastic bags, zippers, click sounds, heavy foot treads trying to be quiet.
Unless there is a common room you can somehow get your sleeping things, backpack and other odds and ends to .... you will make noise. Just is what it is.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have often lain in the bunk, in the dark, shaking my head and thought "can you please just take the damn thing into the common area of the albergue (or outside)?".....ha ha
I have no idea why that wouldn't be one's first instinct? That or just having everything 99% ready to go the night before.
Going "postal" on the offensive clod at 4 am is always an option:rolleyes:!

I truly enjoy seeing the sun rise and I strive to make that a daily activity when on Camino. I find it adds a great deal to my day and helps me to commune more easily spiritually. It does not happen always, but most often it does. Though I recognize that I will make some noise it is kept to a minimum by being prepared to awake and get out the door as quickly as possible.

I also try to get to bed earlier than many and have learned that ear plugs are a wondrous invention for allowing me to peacefully sleep while others finally decide to go to bed.

Regardless of our individual preferences we will impact others. My objective is to prepare so that my choices impact others as little as possible. True, we all know the mindless pilgrim that has only eyes and ears for their own personal desires and have yet to realize that others are sleeping, reflecting, praying, meditating, or just enjoying silence. They provide a great opportunity to learn patience.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
and who are those people that empty the contents of their packs all over the floor next to the bunks where people walk and such? Was ya raised in a barn? ha ha
You have to wade and negotiate through a layer of gear on the floor.
From my southern heritage, I wish to correct your question> It should be: "Wuz y'all reared in a barn?"

Going "postal" on the offensive clod at 4 am is always an option:rolleyes:!
Although I get the 'Going Postal' was said in jest, I hate starting the day feeling grumpy or sleep deprived or feeling slightly hostile to a fellow pilgrim that is clueless in the consideration of others. Using private rooms when available allows me to wake each day in a positive mood and start my day of walking with this positive state of mind as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
As there aren't enough private rooms available, even if we all wanted one - there will be noise at times. I will try my best to think "Their morning sounds difficult. I hope the rest of their day goes better." If I see them again in an evening, I may offer help so their mornings can get off to a better organized (quieter) start to the day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As there aren't enough private rooms available, even if we all wanted one - there will be noise at times. I will try my best to think "Their morning sounds difficult. I hope the rest of their day goes better." If I see them again in an evening, I may offer help so their mornings can get off to a better organized (quieter) start to the day.

That is a nice way to think of it. I have to admit I am hypersensitive to noise. At home I sleep in silence no tv in the room. AC and fans drive me nuts so I'd rather be warm. Since moving back with my elderly hearing challenged mother, I have learned to deal with the noise, especially the tv at 33 instead of 6?! I know when the silence comes it will be most deafening! Hopefully, I am learning a little patience for the journey ahead (despite my first thought to beat the noisy one with a pillow!).

so targeted electricity? electrical shock therapy?

so targeted electricity? electrical shock therapy?
I'm all in favor of shocking bag rustlers until they stop. And then maybe the singers, foot stompers, bed bangers, door slammers, phone talkers, and light flippers will get in line.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ditto !!! and if one has to see or move around ... people please use the red light on your head lamp :) Buen Camino !!!

Since I'm probably as hearing challenged as Micah26's mother, rustling plastic never worried me, but I think a special place in Hades is reserved for those noddies who use their smartphones as torches. They're like searchlights as they sweep around the room.

Ah the unzipping of the sleeping bag zippers and the slamming of the bathroom doors...the sounds of waking up on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The bags are bad enough, but what I do not understand is the group who walk together all day and spend all evening in the bars / restaurants and still have to discuss what they did where they are going next , in the Dorm or outside the window first thing in the morning.
stop talking, learn sign language finger to mouth Sheeeeeee.

On a positive note, on my last camino I frequently shared a dorm with a couple who rose very early. They were wonderful, always prepared their stuff the evening before and slipped silently out of the room each morning. The first couple of times we shared a dorm I would wake expecting to find them in their bunks but no, they were gone. I mentioned it to them about the third night and they explained how they prepared their packs each night before going to bed, and that leaving the dorm each morning was simply a matter of picking up their sleeping bags and packs and taking them both into the communal areas, or even outside. Wonderful thoughtful people.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Kanga your spot on.
It is truly wonderful when you come across that type of Pilgrim , I had one the last time . I followed him for about 6 days,
( followed because he was ahead if all the time ) I never met him during the day but every morning when I sneaked out with everything in my arms, he was there , with a nod ,a smile and down the road before I had my boots on. The last time I met him and the only time we spoke was across the road from Samos monastery when I was booting up he came across with his gear in arms sat on the path beside me and with a big grin on his face said he loved the morning quietness, no cars or people just the stars.

They were wonderful, always prepared their stuff the evening before and slipped silently out of the room each morning . . . Wonderful thoughtful people.

And that's exactly the point. Thoughtful people don't rustle bags at 4:00 am, they don't make phone calls in the dorm, they don't bang into bed after bed on their way out the door, they don't stomp their feet, they don't slam doors, they don't flip on light switches. They simply treat others with respect and leave silently. Like a human being should.

that's where the problem lies as we have read on this and other Forum about many subjects , the facts are people who don't think, also do not take part in Forums .
So if you really want to spoil your day and sometimes its becomes necessary, the only option is to tackle the problem on site.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I plan to take our first Camino late May. We want a waterproof bag type liner for our backpack into which we would put our clothes, what would you recommend to minimize noise? And I already got the point of carrying our stuff out and then packing. Oh, and thanks to everyone for the great advise!!! Can't wait to go!

... We want a waterproof bag type liner for our backpack into which we would put our clothes, what would you recommend to minimize noise? And I already got the point of carrying our stuff out and then packing. Oh, and thanks to everyone for the great advise!!! Can't wait to go!

I just use a sturdy big rubbish bag ;-) but there are also, but more expensive, solutions like a dry sack from Sea to Summit or similar. Buen Camino, SY

That's my way also a strong black sack in the bottom of the ruck , so on the relay wet days put all your dry stuff in it also a small one in case you have to put away wet of muckie gear.
A lightweight nylon one that is not noisy for your day stuf
Burn Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The rustle my bag makes, when I walk, is a meditative mantra that carries me along. It translates to the words I need.
As far as morning noise, I prep the night before so everything I need sits loose on top and what I don't need gets carried to the communal area to be packed.

My wife and I plan to take our first Camino late May. We want a waterproof bag type liner for our backpack into which we would put our clothes, what would you recommend to minimize noise? And I already got the point of carrying our stuff out and then packing. Oh, and thanks to everyone for the great advise!!! Can't wait to go!
Any good pack should be at least water repellant. The waterproof pack cover should eliminate any need for the extra weight of a waterproof liner.

Be prepared .rain/water will get in . if I was to be concerned about the weight of a refuge sack. I think a good look at what else is in there would be needed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Any good pack should be at least water repellant. The waterproof pack cover should eliminate any need for the extra weight of a waterproof liner.

Hi Paul, big difference between water repellent and waterproof. I discovered this in the Italian alps during a prolonged rain squall when my water-proof jacket failed. One moment dry and then the next, it was like standing fully clothed under a shower! Apparently, all water-proof or repellent material is based on a chemical formula, which has a finite life. That includes wet weather clothes, back pack materials (water repellent) and backpack protectors (water-proof). Don't expect that wet weather jacket to work a lifetime. Depending on usage and quality it may be good for only 5 - 10 years. I always use a waterproof inner backpack sack for three very practical reasons: 1) no amount of outer protection will stop continuous, torrential rain from getting into the backpack whether via the material, zippers or the exit hole for the tube associated with the inbuilt water system, 2) on several occasions while trying to impress the ladies with my prowess when it comes to crossing creeks and rivers, fallen in (yes I have a very sad and limited love life, ha ha) and 3) in damp conditions of high humidity or rain it keeps those important changes of clothing at the end of a day's walk, nice and crispy dry. Happy trails

The private room option at albergues completely eliminates this issue for early risers. My wife and I have done the bunk room thing, for those that think it adds to the Camino experience, great. We participate in the communal dinners at albergues, have lots of great discussions with our fellow pilgrims, but when it is time to get a good nights sleep, we appreciate the private room option. Also we are among those 'annoying' early risers. With our private room we can get packed up and get on the trial early and enjoy the best part of the day and not impact any other pilgrims sleep.
It is great to have this choice most nights.

Hi ZREXER, just the info I need. I've reached a certain age where sleeping in a room with 50 other 20 somethings no longer brings the delights of my youth :) And, although walking alone, happy to enjoy the pleasures of my own room at the end of the day but yes, join in the communal activities of the albergues. Is it difficult to find albergues with private facilities and what should you budget in the way of cash for each night? Happy trails

Wonderful thoughtful people.
No doubt like everyone here. ;)

The nature of humanity is that others may not be so thoughtful--c'est la vie.
And who knows? Maybe even we forum folk may have annoyed someone in an albergue at some point. (Tongue firmly planted in cheek...)

It's a practice, being thoughtful--it asks that we get out of our ego universe.
In both directions. So if someone's doing something over the top thoughtless.......are empathy and forgiveness an option? (Speaking for myself? Sometimes. That's definitely work in progress.)

"How can you learn to love? Begin by leaving the bathroom clean and closing the door quietly, out of respect for other people."
Someone said that once in Taize.
Love it. Perfect.
Now, to post that sign in every albergue along the way.......:D

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi ZREXER, just the info I need. I've reached a certain age where sleeping in a room with 50 other 20 somethings no longer brings the delights of my youth :) And, although walking alone, happy to enjoy the pleasures of my own room at the end of the day but yes, join in the communal activities of the albergues. Is it difficult to find albergues with private facilities and what should you budget in the way of cash for each night? Happy trails
Tony, the private room option can vary quite a bit. Our first choice is albergue's with the option of private rooms. We also stay occasional in Pensions, which are similar to very modest hotels that give you a private room, but some times with shared bathrooms. Occasionally in larger centers we will splurge for a hotel. For private rooms, count on about a minimum of 30 Euro a night, 40 being common and some at 50 which is at our high end, but also typically a Pension or cheap hotel. We do shop around and don't necessarily stay at the first place we stop. Also, ask to see the room before you lay your money down.
One thing we found if you stop in towns and villages not typically listed as end points for a daily walking stage, you will get a better deal on your room. Any town or city listed as a Brierley stopping point are almost always more expensive than non typical stops. As realtors like to say, its location, location, location.
Of course if you stay in private rooms, you will not have much to add when the discussion inevitability arises when people complain about inconsiderate room mates from shared bunk rooms!

Tony, the private room option can vary quite a bit. Our first choice is albergue's with the option of private rooms. We also stay occasional in Pensions, which are similar to very modest hotels that give you a private room, but some times with shared bathrooms. Occasionally in larger centers we will splurge for a hotel. For private rooms, count on about a minimum of 30 Euro a night, 40 being common and some at 50 which is at our high end, but also typically a Pension or cheap hotel. We do shop around and don't necessarily stay at the first place we stop. Also, ask to see the room before you lay your money down.
One thing we found if you stop in towns and villages not typically listed as end points for a daily walking stage, you will get a better deal on your room. Any town or city listed as a Brierley stopping point are almost always more expensive than non typical stops. As realtors like to say, its location, location, location.
Of course if you stay in private rooms, you will not have much to add when the discussion inevitability arises when people complain about inconsiderate room mates from shared bunk rooms!

Hi and thanks for the reply. I don't mind the occasional sharing option but like you, happy to have a few creature comforts from time to time (and delighted to not be able to add any comments on shared accommodation in regard to snoring and other strange noises, I've enjoyed enough of that in remote refugios where there is no other choice). Good point regarding the Brierley book comment. And while not a pilgrim, from a religious perspective, it will be interesting to tick this off my bucket list of life goals before going 'toes up'. Plus, having been a long distance walker for years, and been asked numerous times if I'd done that 'Spanish walking thing', will be able to answer yes. However, my research indicates that just like the Brierley guide, this walk has become quite a commercial opportunity for many suppliers. Not that there is anything wrong with free enterprise but just hope some of these pilgrims don't just hang up their boots after this trek but move onto other walks in beautiful and remote areas that we might summarise as the 'roads less travelled'. Happy trails.

Hi Paul, big difference between water repellent and waterproof. I discovered this in the Italian alps during a prolonged rain squall when my water-proof jacket failed. One moment dry and then the next, it was like standing fully clothed under a shower! Apparently, all water-proof or repellent material is based on a chemical formula, which has a finite life. That includes wet weather clothes, back pack materials (water repellent) and backpack protectors (water-proof). Don't expect that wet weather jacket to work a lifetime. Depending on usage and quality it may be good for only 5 - 10 years. I always use a waterproof inner backpack sack for three very practical reasons: 1) no amount of outer protection will stop continuous, torrential rain from getting into the backpack whether via the material, zippers or the exit hole for the tube associated with the inbuilt water system, 2) on several occasions while trying to impress the ladies with my prowess when it comes to crossing creeks and rivers, fallen in (yes I have a very sad and limited love life, ha ha) and 3) in damp conditions of high humidity or rain it keeps those important changes of clothing at the end of a day's walk, nice and crispy dry. Happy trails
My pack is waterproof.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My pack is waterproof.

I probably wasn't clear but apparently water repellent or waterproof doesn't mean for life. At some point the level of water protection fails. It was early days but I moved from Columbia brand, which used to be top notch to Marmot, which has been terrific. Of course, the cost went up but a great investment.

I probably wasn't clear but apparently water repellent or waterproof doesn't mean for life. At some point the level of water protection fails. It was early days but I moved from Columbia brand, which used to be top notch to Marmot, which has been terrific. Of course, the cost went up but a great investment.
I appreciate your comments. However, whatever the 'waterproof' state of a pack, when covered with the 'waterproof' pack cover and worn under a poncho it seems to stay dry.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back