• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scrubba Bag

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I am taking a Scrubba bag with me on my Camino. I don't want to be waiting in a long line to use a sink to do laundry, I would rather be exploring the town. As you have to be able to use things in more than one way, I have all my clothes, socks, sleeping system (in a compression sack) packed inside and you can compress everything with a one way valve. It makes a very tight bundle and slips down into my pack very easily. I will protect all the most important stuff, should my pack rain cover fail. I of course will be the one on the trail with the most wrinkled clothes that will never straighten out again!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Judy, I have a Scrubba also and figure it is just a slightly heavier dry bag when not being used to do laundry

Judy, I have a Scrubba also and figure it is just a slightly heavier dry bag when not being used to do laundry
Me too. I didn't use it as much as I expected, but it's a useful dry bag when not in use.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Joodie, thanks for mentioning the Scrubba. Hadn't heard of it but just ordered the pack - a bit heavier than the bag but can be used as a backpack around town or for slackpacking. Buen Camino, Noel

Unless you have issues with hand washing, it seems like one of those unnecessary, "just in case", items that are just adding extra weight and bulk. I never had to stand in line for a sink. Didn't use the sink stopper I brought either.

I never had to stand in line for a sink. Didn't use the sink stopper I brought either.
Me neither. And left the sink stopper at home last minute.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've read here where people just used an ordinary dry bag in the same manner as the Scrubba.

Seems like it would be much simpler to just use the sink. Or even a quick rinse while showering. Sometimes I think we make things more complicated than necessary.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Someone somewhere on here mentioned throwing your clothes in the shower with you so washing them at the same time - sounds like a plan?? Of course not to hog the shower, just to stomp on while you are in there!

It happens. And it does work. Probably best for smaller items like socks and undies.
And the occasional shirt.

I did manage to find and use washing machines reasonably often. They also usually provided soap for that.

Albergues have plenty of plastic washtubs to wash your laundry, no need for a sink stopper, bring a small nail brush to scrub your clothes clean.
For the cost of a Scrubba, it better wash your laundry for you! Or you could use some of that money to have your laundry machine washed at the albergue for €3.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Someone somewhere on here mentioned throwing your clothes in the shower with you so washing them at the same time - sounds like a plan?? Of course not to hog the shower, just to stomp on while you are in there!

Yeah, along with all the athlete's fungus from every country in the whole wide world?
As well as who knows what types of bodily fluids?
Ummm... no thanks?

Yeah, along with all the athlete's fungus from every country in the whole wide world?
As well as who knows what types of bodily fluids?
Ummm... no thanks?
You bet Annie! When I volunteered at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal in 2014 we saw the lot! Our best friend was a cleaning product called "Don Limpio" (Mr Clean)! He was in the bathroom, the kitchen ... he was worth his weight in gold!

I have done this many times as I often found the clothes washing facilities only had cold water!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You do not have to put your clothes on the floor of the shower to wash them. Wash them by hand and hang them over the shower door while you rinse.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great, then you take twice as long to have a shower, and use up more hot water so the poor pilgrims after you have to wait twice as long to have a cold shower! No! Wash your clothes at the laundry sink like you are asked to. You do not need hot water to wash your clothes if you use the proper soap and are efficient.

You bet Annie! When I volunteered at Refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal in 2014 we saw the lot! Our best friend was a cleaning product called "Don Limpio" (Mr Clean)! He was in the bathroom, the kitchen ... he was worth his weight in gold!

Yup. Except Don Limpio isn't used every time a new pilgrim takes a shower, right?
Having fought a fungus once, I just wouldn't take the chance, personally.
I've seen some scary feet on the Camino! :eek::p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You do not have to put your clothes on the floor of the shower to wash them. Wash them by hand and hang them over the shower door while you rinse.

It's really not fair to the other pilgrims who are waiting to take a hot shower for you to use the hot water to wash your clothes, imo.

I'm not suggesting anyone bring their whole laundry bag into the shower. Rinsing out a pair of undies or socks takes no more time and probably less water than filling up a sink. But as always, to each their own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah Rabanal! Does the far end WC in the main bathroom still clog up every now and again?

The best "washing machine" I saw was a Frenchman took two folding camp bowls - soapy water in one and clean in the other. Clothes went in, he did a little jig, transfered the clothes and did another little jig. He'd smile and say "just how grandpa made wine!"

"Scrubba" who thinks up these names? Probably wouldn't sell very well in the UK!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ah Rabanal! Does the far end WC in the main bathroom still clog up every now and again?

The best "washing machine" I saw was a Frenchman took two folding camp bowls - soapy water in one and clean in the other. Clothes went in, he did a little jig, transfered the clothes and did another little jig. He'd smile and say "just how grandpa made wine!"

Hi Jeff - I'm very happy to say that when I volunteered at Gaucelmo in July 2014 all was well with that loo! ;) I'm back there in August this year so fingers crossed!

I hope that you had a really rewarding experience volunteering at Rabanal - I have very special memories and I just can't wait to go back!

Was the clothes spinner at Gaucelmo when you volunteered there? What a fantastic appliance that was and so popular with pilgrims and hospitaleros alike. Here's a photo of it:

Clothes Spinner at Gaucelmo.jpg

The Frenchman's "washing machine" sounds fantastic and very clever!

Cheers Jeff -

Jenny

Hi Jeff - I'm very happy to say that when I volunteered at Gaucelmo in July 2014 all was well with that loo! ;) I'm back there in August this year so fingers crossed!

I hope that you had a really rewarding experience volunteering at Rabanal - I have very special memories and I just can't wait to go back!

Was the clothes spinner at Gaucelmo when you volunteered there? What a fantastic appliance that was and so popular with pilgrims and hospitaleros alike. Here's a photo of it:

View attachment 24948

The Frenchman's "washing machine" sounds fantastic and very clever!

Cheers Jeff -

Jenny

Hi Jenny, that or something similar. The big problem was convincing pilgrims not to put dripping wet clothes in - causes problems with balance/mechanical wear. The same with the hot air driers you see further west. Filling them up with sopping wet clothes and then having to shuck in euro after euro in the vain hope it will all come out dry in the end.

A few people were a bit put out when they heard WE (hospitaleros) had a washing machine until it was pointed out that it was used exclusively for THEIR dirty sheets!

I worked there during a very hot July so my sheets flash dried on the lines in the huerta.

J

Hi Jenny, that or something similar. The big problem was convincing pilgrims not to put dripping wet clothes in - causes problems with balance/mechanical wear. The same with the hot air driers you see further west. Filling them up with sopping wet clothes and then having to shuck in euro after euro in the vain hope it will all come out dry in the end.

A few people were a bit put out when they heard WE (hospitaleros) had a washing machine until it was pointed out that it was used exclusively for THEIR dirty sheets!

I worked there during a very hot July so my sheets flash dried on the lines in the huerta.

J
Hi Jeff -

We found the same thing with the clothes spinner. We ran the spinner for the pilgrims, after first asking them to wring the wet gear out as best they could.

One of my greatest joys at Rabanal was bringing in the toasty, bone-dry pillowcases and sheets - the crispness and freshness was so lovely. I'm hoping for hot and dry weather in August - seeing all the laundry flapping away happily in the hot sunshine!

Cheers -

Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jeff -

We found the same thing with the clothes spinner. We ran the spinner for the pilgrims, after first asking them to wring the wet gear out as best they could.

One of my greatest joys at Rabanal was bringing in the toasty, bone-dry pillowcases and sheets - the crispness and freshness was so lovely. I'm hoping for hot and dry weather in August - seeing all the laundry flapping away happily in the hot sunshine!

Cheers -

Jenny

Have a great time - we arrive in Rabanal on 1st September but are booked in to Tonio's across the "square"

regards

Jeff C

Have a great time - we arrive in Rabanal on 1st September but are booked in to Tonio's across the "square"

regards

Jeff C
Thanks for your good wishes Geoff. Enjoy Antonios ... I love the dinners there - particularly the roast chicken. I hope you'll go across to Gaucelmo for afternoon tea.
Cheers - Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back