• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SdC bus to the airport

SMBHNL

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: 2016, 2017. CP: April 2018. CdN: Sept 2021
There is a lack of current information about the bus from Plaza de Galicia to the SdC airport. Does anyone know if it's still every 30 minutes? What time it starts? Name of the bus company? Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a lack of current information about the bus from Plaza de Galicia to the SdC airport.
You can say that again. One really has to search around to find the info. Usually, airports have a "How to get to us" section. So does SdC airport but oh boy do they make it complicated.

Name of the bus company?
The bus company that regularly serves the line SdC to airport is called Tussa. Bus line number 6.

Does anyone know if it's still every 30 minutes?
Every 20 to 30 minutes. It depends on the the time of the day and whether it is Mon-Fri or Sat or a public holiday.
Bus timetable: http://www.tussa.org/mediateca/documentos/AEROPORTO_Tte.Urbano_L6_e.pdf
Network map: http://www.tussa.org/mediateca/Horarios_TteUrbano/MapaLinas072021.pdf

What time it starts?
The line is served from 6 am onwards every day of the week (see timetable), with earliest arrival times at the airport around 6:45-6:55 but it is hard to tell the precise time when bus 6 is due to leave Plaza de Galicia for the airport. Have a look at the network map, bottom left where they indicate the departure times of a bus stop near the RENFE train station which is before the Plaza de Galicia stop. All valid as of 1 July 2021.

Last edited:
The Concello terminated the contract to provide a separate dedicated bus to the airport from Plaza Galicia. In the past, this bus stopped at the train station, old bus station and a couple of places in San Lazaro on its way out to the airport.

Now, to bus to the airport, you must ride the L6 urban bus - with the general public. This poses significant problems as - coming in from the airport, pilgrims and tourists compete for available space with local folks who need this bus to get where they are going. Going back to the airport, the buses quickly fill up downtown and there is no more space for the locals.

Added to this problem is the COVID-induced bus capacity limitation. So, standing room is all but eliminated. Reducing the number of people a reduced schedule can carry complicates things.

I only read about this in the Santiago newspapers. However, I am traveling to Santiago next week to work at the Pilgrim Office. One of the things I am looking forward to seeing first-hand is the L6 bus situation.

To check the schedule, go to: http://www.tussa.org/web/transporte.php?lg=cas

Hope this helps.

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That is a real drag. I learned a while ago that if you had 3 people sharing a cab it was the same price as the bus. But now there is no bus and no way to get people at the bus stop. Maybe you can ask other pilgrims you meet in Santiago about when they are leaving and can get a small group to share a taxi.

You can say that again. One really has to search around to find the info. Usually, airports have a "How to get to us" section. So does SdC airport but oh boy do they make it complicated.

The bus company that regularly serves the line SdC to airport is called Tussa. Bus line number 6.

Every 20 to 30 minutes. It depends on the the time of the day and whether it is Mon-Fri or Sat or a public holiday.
Bus timetable: http://www.tussa.org/mediateca/documentos/AEROPORTO_Tte.Urbano_L6_e.pdf
Network map: http://www.tussa.org/mediateca/Horarios_TteUrbano/MapaLinas072021.pdf

The line is served from 6 am onwards every day of the week (see timetable), with earliest arrival times at the airport around 6:45-6:55 but it is hard to tell the precise time when bus 6 is due to leave Plaza de Galicia for the airport. Have a look at the network map, bottom left where they indicate the departure times of a bus stop near the RENFE train station which is before the Plaza de Galicia stop. All valid as of 1 July 2021.
Thanks Katharina! I did give it due diligence before posting my question and you're correct, it is hard. I saw the information about line 6 but thought that can't be right; I've always taken a dedicated airport bus from the plaza to the airport rather than the public bus.

There is a lack of current information about the bus from Plaza de Galicia to the SdC airport. Does anyone know if it's still every 30 minutes? What time it starts? Name of the bus company? Thanks!

Quite by coincidence I was also looking for the Airport Bus route today . . . and couldn’t find it.

Yet I KNEW there was an Airport Bus, having used it many times.

Thank you for your post!

I had located Tussa’s route map, but I could find neither the Bus Station nor the Train Station on it, so I gave up in frustration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Concello terminated the contract to provide a separate dedicated bus to the airport from Plaza Galicia. In the past, this bus stopped at the train station, old bus station and a couple of places in San Lazaro on its way out to the airport.

Now, to bus to the airport, you must ride the L6 urban bus - with the general public. This poses significant problems as - coming in from the airport, pilgrims and tourists compete for available space with local folks who need this bus to get where they are going. Going back to the airport, the buses quickly fill up downtown and there is no more space for the locals.

Added to this problem is the COVID-induced bus capacity limitation. So, standing room is all but eliminated. Reducing the number of people a reduced schedule can carry complicates things.

I only read about this in the Santiago newspapers. However, I am traveling to Santiago next week to work at the Pilgrim Office. One of the things I am looking forward to seeing first-hand is the L6 bus situation.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Tom, I am so happy for you to be going back to Santiago to volunteer in the Pilgrim Office once again after a two year absence! I know how much you enjoy the tasks you are assigned, and meeting old and new pilgrims is always a plus....don't forget your clown nose!😊
All the best to you and I will watch for your postings.

Well, a week ago I successfully took the Tussa bus #6 from Santiago to the airport, but it was not without a lot of confusion. I got on at the stop that is near the train station- I first went to where the bus USED to leave the train station and there are signs that say you need to go up to where the buses stop on Rúa de Horreo (which is the street directly across from the train station). I waited for awhile where there were a bunch of buses lined up, finally asked one of the drivers about getting to the airport, and he told me I was in the wrong spot.

The bus stop you need is on the same side of the street as the train station; if you are climbing the staircase and leaving the station, you want to turn left and maybe 100 meters down the street is a stop with screens showing bus times. The bus did indeed get crowded and made lots of stops, it took maybe 40 minutes from Santiago to the airport. Sorry to say that there seemed to be no limit to how many people were allowed on the bus, and definitely no social distancing.

Hi, for what it’s worth - I’ve always taken a taxi to the airport because my departure times have been early AM so have had to leave SdeC around 6am. Around 20 euro in late 2019. Each time the taxi was waiting outside at the requested time. Perhaps a luxury but the ease and convenience seemed like money well spent. 🙏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, for what it’s worth - I’ve always taken a taxi to the airport because my departure times have been early AM so have had to leave SdeC around 6am. Around 20 euro in late 2019. Each time the taxi was waiting outside at the requested time. Perhaps a luxury but the ease and convenience seemed like money well spent. 🙏
I have taken both the bus and a taxi, but I don’t think I will consider the bus until a new company gets the license and they start the AeroBus again. No place for luggage and lots of people going to the airport makes for a lot of unhappy city travelers.

The taxi to the airport has a set price of 21€ and as Jenny@zen said, they are reliable and plentiful in Santiago.

My last journey by bus to the airport was a nightmare. We were all waiting at the wrong stop, to start with! It turns out we all had been to the Tourist information beforehand to check and they gave us all the same - wrong! - information.
A nice bus conductor told us where to go and a wonderful local lady actually took us there. The new bus stop is outside a cafe, on the right handside if you come from the station.
No-one can tell you at what time it will arrive!
When it did, it was packed! Someone (a local going to work) actually took photos and told the bus driver he would be sharing them. It was awful.
Next time I will be taking a taxi.

I have taken the bus twice, and the taxi once...I will only take the taxi in the future for several reasons...one being It is worth it in the early morning hours to the airport...just sayin'.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have taken both the bus and a taxi, but I don’t think I will consider the bus until a new company gets the license and they start the AeroBus again. No place for luggage and lots of people going to the airport makes for a lot of unhappy city travelers.

The taxi to the airport has a set price of 21€ and as Jenny@zen said, they are reliable and plentiful in Santiago.
Deacuerdo! Thank you.

My last journey by bus to the airport was a nightmare. We were all waiting at the wrong stop, to start with! It turns out we all had been to the Tourist information beforehand to check and they gave us all the same - wrong! - information.
A nice bus conductor told us where to go and a wonderful local lady actually took us there. The new bus stop is outside a cafe, on the right handside if you come from the station.
No-one can tell you at what time it will arrive!
When it did, it was packed! Someone (a local going to work) actually took photos and told the bus driver he would be sharing them. It was awful.
Next time I will be taking a taxi.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Thank you, Tom. I'll send you a reminder :) - Steve

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That is a real drag. I learned a while ago that if you had 3 people sharing a cab it was the same price as the bus. But now there is no bus and no way to get people at the bus stop. Maybe you can ask other pilgrims you meet in Santiago about when they are leaving and can get a small group to share a taxi.
we will be in santiago the 15 and 16 th of september and will be taking a taxi to the airport. we will be leaving very early. if anyone wants to share let me know

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.