• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SDCompostella to Porto.....can anyone please advise...I am considering walking from SDCompostella to Porto

Garry Collins

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Frances to Santiago de Compostella
Considering walking Sde Compostelle to Porto however my fellow Walker is concerned about the signage in walking in reverse and therefore getting lost . Can anyone advise if we do this walk should we encounter any problems .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The markings are placed to lead you to Santiago, not the other way. Prime example is that intersection with 6 streets coming together and only one, the way to Santiago, is marked. Walking the other way means you will need a map.

If I were you, I'd complain to the city council about the lack of markings leading the way to Porto.

I haven't done it myself but that is on the pilgrimage to Fatima. When I did Lisbon to Santiago on the coastal route I passed about half a dozen people going in the opposite direction, to Fatima. It is marked but not well. Several of the people I passed wanted confirmation that they were heading in the right direction. It's definitely doable but I would carry electronic tracks. But I do that even if the path is well marked.

edit: The markings to Fatima are in blue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
[QUOTE = "Garry Collins, príspevok: 798975, člen: 63100"]
Pokiaľ ide o chôdzu Sde Compostelle do Porto, môj kolega Walker sa však obáva značenia v chôdzi vzad a preto sa stráca. Môže mi niekto poradiť, či sa touto cestou vydáme, ak narazíme na nejaké problémy.
[/ Quote]
Presiel som v júni 2019 zo Santiaga de Compostela do Porta. Zo začiatku trasy som isiel Camino Central do Pontevedra. Potom som prešiel na Camino de la Costa.
Camino de la Costa je zaujímavejšia a krajšia trasa po pobreží. Je pravda, že trasa je v protismere a je bezne, že zabludite, nakoľko trasa nie je najlepsie značenia.
Ale putovanie na trase je zaujimave a stojí za to ju absolvovať.
Vladimir

Hi Garry, my wife and I walked from Valenca to Fatima last month, the year before when we did the Costa we met loads of Portuguese going to Fatima so thought we would give it a go because we loved Portugal so much.
While overall the walk was great we had lots of difficulty at junctions, there are loads of yellow signs but there are nowhere near as many blue ones and we spent a lot of time trying to figure out which way the pilgrims going to Santiago were coming from.
In our 2 weeks we didnt meet anyone else going our way and after day 2 got really fed up saying 'bom caminho' - its fun when you occasionally say it as you go past a fellow pilgrim going to SDC, not so much when you say it to every pilgrim !!

I wouldnt let this little inconvenience put you off as we loved Portugal as much this time as last time.

good luck,

Mark

The markings are placed to lead you to Santiago, not the other way. Prime example is that intersection with 6 streets coming together and only one, the way to Santiago, is marked. Walking the other way means you will need a map.

If I were you, I'd complain to the city council about the lack of markings leading the way to Porto.
"But the way into Porto is well marked . . . . if you're coming in from the south!"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Considering walking Sde Compostelle to Porto however my fellow Walker is concerned about the signage in walking in reverse and therefore getting lost . Can anyone advise if we do this walk should we encounter any problems .
Four years since I walked from Porto to SdC and, even going the right way, there were gaps in the markers - and seriously, you people who paint the arrows, using green paint is not great when you're daltônico.
I'd be tempted to download one of the many .gpx or .kml routes available and an app like maps.me "just-in-case"
If for no other reason than plotting your night's lodging makes it much easier to find.

Earlier this year I downloaded the app 'maps.me' for my Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo Combo.
Not only does it show where you are in relation to the Camino, it also shows local tracks which enabled me to take shortcuts or excursions to see other features not on the camino track.
Believe me, I am an absolute 'Luddite' when dealing with techy-stuff and if I can use it anyone can.
All you need to do is invest an hour trawling through the 'search' function of this site.

Buen Trawling

The way from Santiago to Porto is marked. It is even marked with arrows pointing in the correct direction (unlike, for example, the route from Santiago to SJPP). You will find that the arrows from Santiago to Porto are painted blue rather than yellow. That's because, to be technical about it, they aren't pointing you to Porto but rather to Fatima. It just so happens that the route to Fatima from Santiago happens to pass through Porto. I haven't followed the route in a southward direction, only going northward. It was my impression that the northward route with the yellow arrows was better marked than the southward route with blue arrows. The markings were there, though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back