• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sea to Summit poncho - reviews?

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello
Last time I used my 4 year old IKEA poncho, I got totally soaked. Sea to Summit ponchos are on sale right now - has anyone used and what did you think? Any particular model? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I bought a Sea to Summit and sent it back. What I hated about it was that there was no front zipper/enclosure. While walking, even in cold weather, you will need to VENT a poncho or you will get soaked inside. The Sea to Summit I looked at had no option for this. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative, several of my clients have used the Triwonder poncho (amazon) and it worked fine for them. Just test it out in the shower first, because sometimes they leak in the shoulders and if that happens, the company happily will replace it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018CIDXKA/?tag=casaivar02-20

By the way, both clients cut off the plastic shield on theirs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree with the condensation issue mentioned above but it’s not limited to the brand.

I really like my S2S Ultra-Sil poncho. Not sure if they are the same as those noted above but mine has snaps down each side to fasten it leaving large spaces in between for air to circulate. In retrospect, mine may be referred to as a tarp poncho because it can be used also as a tarp to cover yourself at night if you are wild camping. My experience was that it kept me and my pack nice and dry. Only beef was that in a wind it would make me look like I was having a seizure while I was trying to put it on until I learned how to properly use the wind to my advantage! Another nice thing was that it is long enough that wearing a pair of water-proof boots and gaitors is all it takes to keep you dry from top to bottom.

EEFF604E-B87C-4DC9-8B54-08AEE14EB198.jpeg

I bought a Sea to Summit and sent it back. What I hated about it was that there was no front zipper/enclosure. While walking, even in cold weather, you will need to VENT a poncho or you will get soaked inside. The Sea to Summit I looked at had no option for this. If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative, several of my clients have used the Triwonder poncho (amazon) and it worked fine for them. Just test it out in the shower first, because sometimes they leak in the shoulders and if that happens, the company happily will replace it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018CIDXKA/?tag=casaivar02-20

By the way, both clients cut off the plastic shield on theirs.

Can you send pics of yourself fully clothed in shower please with triwonder poncho.
p. s. "Not a pervert" 😂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a Sea To Summit poncho and I love it. I bought it in 2005 for my first Camino and I'm still using it. I have washed it in some sealing thing and it is as good as new. I live in a country where it rains a lot and I ride my bike everywhere every day and my Sea to Summit poncho is always in my bag ready to come out when I encounter the next rainshower.
My poncho has a zipper in the front - it works fine for ventilation.

I really like my S2S Ultra-Sil poncho too! As jozero says mine has snaps down each side and the air seems to circulate ok (I don't have the tarp one but it is a good few years old now). It kept me dry whilst walking during various thunderstorms and condensation wasn't really an issue, I put my arms inside to keep my sleeves dry. They are very lightweight and hard to on put solo in the wind :) It is quite long and if you're short I think it would be dragging along the ground.

Main problem is that it works really well in heavy rain but if it's light drizzle you can't open the front and wear it like a kind of jacket and it's also a bit too voluminous to wear as an extra layer to keep you warm, esp if it's windy. Awesome bit of kit if you're expecting a wet camino. Not such a good bit of kit of it's on/off light drizzle, walking through a cloud kind of wet, where a jacket or a poncho with a full zip would be a lot more flexible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There appears to be a considerable difference in weight between the S2S (6-ish oz.) and the TriWonder (16oz.) if that's of concern to anyone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... difference in weight between ...

I suspect explanations for the difference in weight would include:

1a) above knee or 1b) below the knee
2a) simple coat/jacket or 2b) over a pack

If your preference is for the b) styles then

I used a poncho that finished above my knees and was seriously worried about hypothermia on the few wet days encountered.

@SYates suggests having stuff that can do two things.

I expect my wet weather gear to:
1) keep me dry (including my knees)
2) keep the wind out (and not become a sail)
3) act as another layer when cold (eg early morning starts)

If my expectations are fufilled I will have avoided carrying some other item of clothing ...

kia ora

No altus, but I've used my Sea to Summit ultrasil tarp/poncho for 2 Camino's and always carry it on my CA Sierra hikes. It's very light, opens for venting on side w snaps, has hood cinch to tighten in wind, covers me and my pack. I never get wet! In a drizzle I just pull it up and stuff it in at my waist since my pants are DWR and do well in drizzle
. I wore it on the Camino Ingles in rain w strong winds, rain and drizzle.....5 days of rain keeps Galicia green...and I didn't wear gaiters; my socks stayed dry. No wet feet. I'm 5'4" so the length helped. Only con was the price. But I need excellent gear to hike mostly solo in the Sierra's so it made sense. I never stuff it back in it's sack, I just hang to dry, flatten and roll into a 12" roll secure w hair elastics and stuff down the side of my pack. Easy to pull out, especially in Galicia!!!😏

Hello
Last time I used my 4 year old IKEA poncho, I got totally soaked. Sea to Summit ponchos are on sale right now - has anyone used and what did you think? Any particular model? Thanks
Ultrasil! I love it. Ultra light, size of 2 eggs, when packed up. It is perfect for a summer camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Altus poncho / rain coat - below knee - covers a pack

Does anyone reading this have experience of the Altus?

And how it might compare to the products noted above?

Kia ora
I have used 2 of the standard Altus and the Altus light.
The first standard Altus was a different material and really good. It kept the rain off. I would take my arms out of the sleeves open the front and use it like a cape in warm weather and light rain. To dry, I flicked it over the pack, left it secured round my neck. It weighed 450 grams.
I bought a second Altus for my husband. They changed the material and it would get soaking wet inside, cling to legs and leaked also. Dreadful.
I bought a lite version, which weighs 280 grams. I was pleased with it, but now I use Sea to Summit Ultrasil, which only weighs 170 grams and I prefer it. It is really only suitable for a summer camino though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We each bought an Altus in SJPP before starting our Camino in 2016. They worked well on that Camino..
Took it out of storage in 2017 for use on the Portugeuse and found that they were cracked and the formerly soft material was much harder. It was cleaned and dried before packing.
Very disappointed with the longevity of the material used in Altus considering the price paid.

We each bought an Altus in SJPP before starting our Camino in 2016. They worked well on that Camino..
Took it out of storage in 2017 for use on the Portugeuse and found that they were cracked and the formerly soft material was much harder. It was cleaned and dried before packing.
Very disappointed with the longevity of the material used in Altus considering the price paid.
This is the problem with the newer models. They changed the fabric and it is rubbish.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The design of the Sea to Summit poncho has changed too. My (non tarp) one is much longer, covers a pack and is much roomer than the photos of the newer models - mine also weights 100g more!

The design of the Sea to Summit poncho has changed too. My (non tarp) one is much longer, covers a pack and is much roomer than the photos of the newer models - mine also weights 100g more!
Sea to Summit has two lightweight ponchos, one of which is smaller and lighter.

DIMENSIONS 55 x 46 in / 140 x 118 cm
PACKED SIZE 2.5 x 5.25 in / 6.5 x 13.5 cm
WEIGHT 5.2 oz / 145g

And this one, which is larger

DIMENSIONS 57 x 104 in / 145 x 265 cm
PACKED SIZE 3 x 5.25 in / 7.5 x 13.5 cm
WEIGHT 8.1 oz / 230g

bought an Altus in SJPP in 2016 ... (it) worked well on that Camino.
.... in 2017 ... found they were cracked and the formerly soft material was much harder

In an emergency I also brought an Altus in 2016 (May at Burgos). It is seldom used. Kept rolled up in an outside pocket of my pack and is pretty much as good as new. It weighs 350 grams.

I may have been lucky and got some old stock.

I wonder if they have reverted to the previous material.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_191420_568.jpg
    IMG_20191104_191420_568.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
I did the camino del norte/primitivo in April/May 2918. The S2S ultrasil poncho, the 9 oz version was my raingear for 5 very wet weeks. Also did a fair bit of walking and hiking in the UK and Wales afterwards.
I am from the Seattle area and have dealt with rain all my life. I never expect to stay dry walking for hours in rainy conditions with a 10 kg pack under my poncho. I know i am going to be wet from sweat if nothing else. So my goal is to stay tolerably warm and block wind. The S2S filled the bill nicely. Its incredibly light and surprisingly durable. Still using it in my hikes and walks in the Andes. Works beautifully with sporthill XC pants and merino hoodie underneath. We all end up with what suits our individual needs and preferences, but this setup really works well for me.

Packa.com
The Packa is a great product. A little pricey but seriously built and is a great solution.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ive just purchased a decathlon poncho. has pit zips and looks ok for £30. I had a silnylon thing but it had no side seams just poppers nor sleeves and your arms got wet. as well as being too long for me.

Hello

It depends a little bit on the season. If it is a season with heavy rain, like now, the rainponchos from Decathlon or the brrand Altus has rainponchos with sleeves. They will keep your arms dry and it will not rain down your side through the slits as well. If it's a full day in rain make sure you have real sleeves on your rainponcho.

Buen Camino!

Hello

Ponchos for backpacking create airflow to help avoid sweat condensation. The airspace created by the poncho draped over the backpack, arm holes, neck holes, and the open bottom of the poncho help to achieve that.

So the first thing to look at is how much ventilation is one allowing for the poncho? Closed up neck openings and arm openings can exacerbate the problem.

Frogg Toggs makes a poncho which I have used extensively in the rain (my wife used one as well). Compared to my Zpacks poncho, it performs remarkably well, albeit a few ounces heavier. It is made of a 'breathable' material which does provide some help with water vapor escape. It is inexpensive and can be found online at sites like Amazon.

The other factor is how warm one is dressing/ over dressing, and how much energy expenditure and exertion one is undergoing when wearing rain gear. You know. . . the more energy, the more sweat, the more condensation in the rain gear. So dressing light and slowing down while walking can help reduce the condensation problem.

When push comes to shove, being wet and warm from a soaking sweat is far better than being wet and cold from the rain. I hate either choice, but. . . :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ponchos for backpacking create airflow to help avoid sweat condensation. The airspace created by the poncho draped over the backpack, arm holes, neck holes, and the open bottom of the poncho help to achieve that.

So the first thing to look at is how much ventilation is one allowing for the poncho? Closed up neck openings and arm openings can exacerbate the problem.

Frogg Toggs makes a poncho which I have used extensively in the rain (my wife used one as well). Compared to my Zpacks poncho, it performs remarkably well, albeit a few ounces heavier. It is made of a 'breathable' material which does provide some help with water vapor escape. It is inexpensive and can be found online at sites like Amazon.

The other factor is how warm one is dressing/ over dressing, and how much energy expenditure and exertion one is undergoing when wearing rain gear. You know. . . the more energy, the more sweat, the more condensation in the rain gear. So dressing light and slowing down while walking can help reduce the condensation problem.

When push comes to shove, being wet and warm from a soaking sweat is far better than being wet and cold from the rain. I hate either choice, but. . . :)

All true ...would add that wearling something breathable underneath the rainponcho is a really good idea ...like a woolsweater. A windbreaker or rainjacket is a no go :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.