• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sealskinz Waterproof Socks

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Time of past OR future Camino
I bought one pair of Sealskinz waterproof walking socks for 30 GBP in October last year, I intend to walk the Frances again after Easter this year wearing breathable not waterproof trail running shoes so thought the waterproof socks a good idea. At first I wore them without a liner and they were very comfortable and prooved very waterproof too but after only a few weeks I found small holes appearing in the inner layer around where my toenails rubbed so after that I always wear thin liners with them and make sure my nails are always well trimmed. Today however I find a small hole in one of the socks in the outer sock and I can see right through so no longer waterproof. I've never had a problem with holes wearing in the toes of any of my socks before, even after years of wear.

It just seems to me that paying 30 GBP for a pair of socks I should expect them to last a lot longer than these have and wondered what other members of the forum who wear these Sealskinz socks have experienced.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've bought these and they wore out very quickly (in my case, the outer layer by the heel, rather than the toes). I think mine "only" cost about £15, but you would still expect them to last more than a few wears. The other disadvantage I found, was that they took forever to dry if there was no drying machine in the albergue, and there almost never is on the caminos I walk. On the positive side, there was one day I walked in torrential rain for about 6 hours, and the only part of my body that was still dry when I arrived was my feet, so they did work then.

I bought one pair of Sealskinz waterproof walking socks for 30 GBP in October last year, I intend to walk the Frances again after Easter this year wearing breathable not waterproof trail running shoes so thought the waterproof socks a good idea. At first I wore them without a liner and they were very comfortable and prooved very waterproof too but after only a few weeks I found small holes appearing in the inner layer around where my toenails rubbed so after that I always wear thin liners with them and make sure my nails are always well trimmed. Today however I find a small hole in one of the socks in the outer sock and I can see right through so no longer waterproof. I've never had a problem with holes wearing in the toes of any of my socks before, even after years of wear.

It just seems to me that paying 30 GBP for a pair of socks I should expect them to last a lot longer than these have and wondered what other members of the forum who wear these Sealskinz socks have experienced.

I've experimented with SealSkinz over the years and wore them extensively while trekking in the Tasmanian Wilderness (South Coast Track). Mud up to your hips and lots of river crossings. Feet dry and toasty warm. Mine have lasted for years and 100s kms. I am pedantic about filing my toenails and wear a pair of silk toe socks underneath the SealSkinz. I always have footbeds in my boots or shoes and use Engo patches on any areas that might rub.

Perhaps I've just been lucky. I did buy them many years ago but wouldn't think that anything has changed in that time. Agree with you that they should be fit for purpose.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also trialling Sealskinz for same reason as OP. Very comfortable and keep your feet dry as a bone as long as water doesn't get in from above the shoe. In my experience, rain. Once wet, they are taking a couple of days to dry out and it's a hot summer here. I wouldn't put them in a dryer for fear it would perish the waterproof coating. Maybe gaiters would seal the gap if you can get waterproof ones.

I also wear mine with a liner sock - in my case a thin tightly woven merino. I wear sandals and have only used the SealSkinz when it is cold, as well as wet, so they have not had much wear. But they are fabulous when needed.

I also would never dry them in a drier for fear of ruining them; I roll them up in a dry towel and wring, then stomp on the towel, turn them inside out and do the same thing again. It gets them pretty dry.

I'd be writing to the company with details and asking for a refund. But it is not a problem I've had.

Thanks everyone, interesting. I guess all I can do is to take one new pair and only wear them when I really need to , that is when its cold and wet. Thankfully I don't remember any places where the Camino takes you through long wet grass. I will email the company, maybe I'll get a replacement pair!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear mine when expecting rain most of the day. One of them has developed a leak, but even though that sock might be sloshy when I step in a deep puddle, the excess water squishes out and that foot feels about the same as the other one. In any case, both feet stay warm, which is a big improvement over no Sealskins!

Aren't they awfully hot?

Aren't they awfully hot?
I always wear trailrunners (not gortex). When they get wet, they dry quickly. However, if it is an all day rain, it is usually cold, and my feet get cold, even though my body is comfortable. With the Sealskinz (with liner socks), my feet stay comfortably warm, not hot. I would never wear Sealskinz during warm weather.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have used them on 2 short caminos and still like new. But I do use a liner sock, nothing fancy, just a "trainer sock" which doesn't go over the ankle

The advantage of the liner sock - apart from reducing wear - is that I only wash the liner sock, and don't wash the sealskinz sock. They can last 5 days without pong-ing

Tip when do you wash the sealskinz : hand wash not machine wash - excessive spin from the machine forces water through the material which is not good for it

Well I took them back to Blacks and they sent them away to be "examined" by the manufacturers. Today I received the socks back by post with a letter saying the damage was caused by "Friction/Abrasive damage" so I'm stuck with 'em. I only wore them a couple of times a week for two hours or so, I never had any other socks wear at the toes and these are only 4 months old.

Does anybody else make waterproof socks?

Maybe I'll try polythene bags between my socks and liners, I wonder how sweaty my feet would get, anybody tried it?

Well I took them back to Blacks and they sent them away to be "examined" by the manufacturers. Today I received the socks back by post with a letter saying the damage was caused by "Friction/Abrasive damage" so I'm stuck with 'em. I only wore them a couple of times a week for two hours or so, I never had any other socks wear at the toes and these are only 4 months old.

Does anybody else make waterproof socks?

Maybe I'll try polythene bags between my socks and liners, I wonder how sweaty my feet would get, anybody tried it?

Very disappointing response from the manufacturer. I would assume that there is some warning about keeping toenails shorts so as not to experience this problem on their packaging?

Yes, there are several other waterproof socks available - here's a review on 5 makes.

My hubby swears by using plastic bags to prevent blisters when he gets a hotspot. A trick taught to him by a park ranger and it works - for him - but, oh yes, his feet get sweaty and stink! If you want to try this method, suggest that you use some nappy disposal bags. They are a staple on any of our trips and have many uses.

Good luck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
wondered what other members of the forum who wear these Sealskinz socks have experienced
I gave up on them. They made my feet too hot, and my boots were soaked in the rain anyway, so using regular socks at the end of the day was still a moist event. Socks that are a blend of wool and synthetic fabric dry fairly quickly, and do not seem to promote blisters even when wet when I use a liner sock.

Very disappointing response from the manufacturer. I would assume that there is some warning about keeping toenails shorts so as not to experience this problem on their packaging?

Yes, there are several other waterproof socks available - here's a review on 5 makes.

My hubby swears by using plastic bags to prevent blisters when he gets a hotspot. A trick taught to him by a park ranger and it works - for him - but, oh yes, his feet get sweaty and stink! If you want to try this method, suggest that you use some nappy disposal bags. They are a staple on any of our trips and have many uses.

Good luck.

No nothing about toenails or sock liners on the packaging.

Thanks for the link to the waterproof sock reviews, I've ordered a pair of DexShell waterproof trekking socks now so hoping for better luck this time.

I love your hubby's idea of using plastic bags to prevent blisters, it makes sense if you read what Rebecca Ruston says in her book "The Athletes Guide to Preventin Blisters" about Engo patches absorbing "Shear", the bags must have the same effect all over the foot.
I shall definitely be taking some some nappy disposal bags with me this time.

Also have some DexShell socks on order - they are getting good reviews particularly about their breathability so will be interesting to try them out in the field.

Yes, hubby reckons that the plastic bags do the same job as my Engo patches but they just don't work for me as my feet macerate while the Engo patches on my orthotics and boots lasted the whole Camino.

We'll compare notes later on the DexShells. Happy trialling.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.