• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Searching regional recipes

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

I'm currently searching regional recipes from the areas that one crosses when walking the Camino Francés, i.e. from the Basque Country, Navarre, La Rioja, Castilla y León and Galicia. (Did I forget a region? 🤔)

Why do I want recipes which respond to the geographical regions of the Francés?

I have been giving cooking classes for many years and I was recently asked if I could also give a course on the cuisine of Northern Spain / Camino Francés plus general informations about the Camino and about my way. I actually love this idea very much, but my major problem is ...

I am usually very interested in regional cuisine, try a lot in restaurants.

But during my Camino in 2019, my priorities were definitely somewhere else, so I'm having some problems right now to put together suitable regional recipes for a nice culinary evening.

I do have some recipes, but I'm not really sure which region they are typical for (except the Basque recipes). **

I am sure that there are already posts in the depths of the forum with tasty recipes and which regions they are from, but when searching I was not really successful.

So I would be very happy if someone would provide me with links or some nice recipes plus region.

** Besides english, my kitchen vocabulary includes castellano, french, italian, german and swabian ;-), so if you've got recipes in those languages, no need to translate 🌞.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

I'm currently searching regional recipes from the areas that one crosses when walking the Camino Francés, i.e. from the Basque Country, Navarre, La Rioja, Castilla y León and Galicia. (Did I forget a region? 🤔)

Why do I want recipes which respond to the geographical regions of the Francés?

I have been giving cooking classes for many years and I was recently asked if I could also give a course on the cuisine of Northern Spain / Camino Francés plus general informations about the Camino and about my way. I actually love this idea very much, but my major problem is ...

I am usually very interested in regional cuisine, try a lot in restaurants.

But during my Camino in 2019, my priorities were definitely somewhere else, so I'm having some problems right now to put together suitable regional recipes for a nice culinary evening.

I do have some recipes, but I'm not really sure which region they are typical for (except the Basque recipes). **

I am sure that there are already posts in the depths of the forum with tasty recipes and which regions they are from, but when searching I was not really successful.

So I would be very happy if someone would provide me with links or some nice recipes plus region.

** Besides english, my kitchen vocabulary includes castellano, french, italian, german and swabian ;-), so if you've got recipes in those languages, no need to translate 🌞.

Hi,

A Food Lover's Pilgrimage along the Camino to Santiago De Compostela.JPG

Last year we were given a book called "A Food Lover's Pilgrimage Along The Camino To Santiago De Compostela" by Dee Nolan, publisher Penguin Group (Australia)2013, 13579108642 National Library of Australia Cataloguing- in-Publication data: Nolan,Dee. 9781921383557(pbk.)

This is a very interesting book, with beautiful photos and a number of traditional local recipes associated with the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Along with the above reccos, I would suggest the cookbook from "Curate" by Katie Button and "The Basque Book" by Alexandra Raij. Links:

I could not find "Raxo" in either of these books so reverse-engineered it from taste and a minimalist description on the web. That link is here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/raxo-spanish-garlic-pork-recipe-not-lomo.66079/

It was my intent to also publish a "Pollo Cerveza" recipe but late experimenting with Katie Button's "Pepa's Beer Braised Chicken" shows it to be equal to or better than my interpretation.

B

I just heard about this one:

Spain: The Cookbook

I guess it's an authentic Spanish cookbook, originally in Spanish, of course, called 1080 Recipes (but in Spanish). I heard about it on a podcast today. The guy said he saw it in all the kitchens in Spain. It includes instructions on how to do different techniques and advice on the kinds of kitchen equipment they use.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year we were given a book called "A Food Lover's Pilgrimage Along The Camino To Santiago De Compostela" by Dee Nolan, publisher Penguin Group (Australia)2013, 13579108642 National Library of Australia Cataloguing- in-Publication data: Nolan,Dee. 9781921383557(pbk.)

This is a very interesting book, with beautiful photos and a number of traditional local recipes associated with the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat

Sadly it looks to be out of print, and second hand copies are asking silly high prices.

You have prompted me to go to my bookshelves to find Claudia Roden: the Food of Spain. Perhaps it will be available in your library. If not, you are welcome to browse in my front room! Sorry that right now I have no time to help further, later, yes.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.