• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Searching secondhand book shops for Camino books.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes I do, I love nothing more than rummaging around a bookshop, I loose myself for hours, and all excited when finding a book that went out of print years ago, the slightly dusty disorganised feel, but above all I love the smell of a second hand book shop

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whenever I find a large secondhand bookshop I cannot resist going in and searching for old books about the Camino and pilgrimage in general ... I think this photo sums my obsession up!!!!!

Do you have this affliction??

View attachment 8873
Judging by that second photo David you have let yourself go just a bit, I think its time for another Camino. :)

If only I could keep my second hand book shopping to Camino related books. As a retired librarian, who loves books I can't resist the pull of used book stores. Have to cut back in order to finance my next camino.

Whenever I find a large secondhand bookshop I cannot resist going in and searching for old books about the Camino and pilgrimage in general ... I think this photo sums my obsession up!!!!!

Do you have this affliction??

View attachment 8873
Absolutely! I am a retired teacher of English (especially American lit) and history. My wife is an English teacher, my son and daughter have degrees in English. We plan trips around bookstores!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Best place for 'bookworms' - Hay-on-Wye, Powys, Wales, UK. It used to be virtually all book shops although there were not quite so many last time we were there. It is just over the border from Herefordshire and on the outskirts of the Brecon Beacons, so good walking too :)

Best place for 'bookworms' - Hay-on-Wye, Powys, Wales, UK. It used to be virtually all book shops although there were not quite so many last time we were there. It is just over the border from Herefordshire and on the outskirts of the Brecon Beacons, so good walking too :)

I worked the summer many years ago in a youth hostel just outside Hay-on-Wye, I would spend all day Tuesday( my day off) spending all my wages on books, I worked all summer in order to save, alas all I had to show for it were a couple of hundred books, an no where near the amount I needed to buying my first a car. Second hand books shops are becoming an endangered species here, all my favourites have closed.

"ah, but its not the same .. no smell, no searching, no dust .. no hidden surprises ....."
Yes, David, I know what you mean.
There used to be a wonderful second-hand bookshop in Guildford called Thorpes (I think), trouble with it was (as would happen to you rummaging through the Hay on Wye bookshops) that if you went for example, looking for a book on the Camino you would probably leave with nothing on the camino but instead a dusty old tome on something like "Cockroach Racing in Medieval Transylvania" !!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aah! Second-hand bookshops! No better place to be on a rainy day ... I love them.

My all-time favourite second-hand bookshop is in London ... it's called ...

5108.jpg

We have two bookshops here in Cronulla - Berkelouws and The Best Little Bookshop in Town - both stock a good range of second-hand books. They're GREAT, but sadly there's no Manny or Bernard to 'help' us, or Fran to sympathise with over the latest disaster in her life! ;)

I have bought some beautiful second-hand books at both these shops, and several of my Camino books (new) were purchased there too. I appreciate that often books are available online more cheaply, but if I, and booklovers in our area, don't do our bit to support local business, these two treasure-troves could close.

Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
I hope I die before my brother. There is NO WAY I could sort out his books. He has about 11,000 [yes - eleven thousand] on bookcases in every room.
So I hope I don't have to sort out THAT lot!
Hence my wish to depart this life before him ..... but preferably not until after May when I'll be on the Camino Inges ;)

ah, but its not the same .. no smell, no searching, no dust .. no hidden surprises .....

That was how I stumbled to another little sign to walk again! Wandered into The Book Trader on 2nd St. in Philly, up the steep stairs to the poetry section and lo and behold! IMG_1389.jpg

A slim book of Anne Morrow Lindbergh. The book quite literally fell open to the following page:
IMG_1388.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back