• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seasons Greeetings, everyone!

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Best wishes for the festive season and for 2017 to all of us who have walked the Via Francigena, and to those who hope to do so in 2017.:)

My thoughts are with you all.

BTW, those of you who have used Paul Chinn and Babette Gallard's guidebooks to the VF might be interested to know that they are currently (Dec 16) working in Tanzania as volunteer project managers for a new charity maternity hospital just outside Arusha. You can read a little bit about it here www.maternityafrica.org. I am sure they would love to receive Christmas messages.

Bob M

Xmas Candle.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Bob, and Season's Greetings to you as well. I will be walking the Canterbury to Arras section of the VF in July 2017. I am looking forward to it. All the best for 2017!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be walking the Canterbury to Arras section of the VF in July 2017. I am looking forward to it. All the best for 2017!

That is a very interesting section, especially if you are interested in the WW1 battlefields. Arras is a good place to stop because the town itself is interesting and it is a good base for battlefield tours after your walk.

I wrote a topic in this forum on that section, but I can't locate it quickly. If you search the forum for "bobm" or "bob m" and have the patience to trawl through my posts you may be able to locate it.

Anyway, I wrote up some general comments that might be useful at:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-canterbury-besancon-section-of-the-vf.15178/

BTW, remember that July can be very hot in France, so think about water. Churches with cemeteries will always have water laid on, and I made use of it a number of times.

The Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome at http://www.pilgrimstorome.org.uk/ is an excellent source of help if you have not already discovered it, especially for their accommodation list.

The two best English language guides are Alison Raju's books and Paul Chinn/Babette Gallard's books. They are quite different in style; so check both out before buying.

Good luck with your walk. If I can help further, let me know.

Bob M

Last edited:
Hi Bob:

Thanks for your message and for your offer of help. Greatly appreciated!

I posted a thread about this section a few months ago and @mspath kindly provided a link to your post with your general comments. That was very useful, as I have found there is not much info on the northern end of the VF. When I have a few minutes over the holidays later this month I will look for the other post that you mention. Any and all information is wonderful.

After arriving in Arras we have already arranged two days of touring WW1 battlefields, cemeteries, etc. I have always wanted to do that, but have only had one short opportunity in the past. It should make for a good summer!

Thanks again for your help!
Colin

. . . . After arriving in Arras we have already arranged two days of touring WW1 battlefields, cemeteries, etc. I have always wanted to do that, but have only had one short opportunity in the past. It should make for a good summer!
Colin

I assume from your location that you are a Canadian, so you might be interested in this website:
http://ww1.canada.com/battlefront/five-major-canadian-battles-of-the-first-world-war

There are many local battlefield tour companies based in or near Arras. Here is just one that I found after a quick Google: http://www.ww1.co.uk/

Also, for atmosphere as you walk, you might want to listen to "The Green Fields of France". There are heaps of versions on YouTube, but I like the version by The Fureys. Also search for "The Flowers of the Forest."

Best wishes

Bob M

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks again Bob. The battlefield tours we have booked are actually with the company you found in your search. That is a great article as well. I appreciate your efforts!

Thanks again Bob. The battlefield tours we have booked are actually with the company you found in your search. That is a great article as well. I appreciate your efforts!

It is always a pleasure to help pilgrims where I can.

BTW, I stayed at Le Trois Luppars in Arras, right on the main square. Very pilgrim-friendly. The square is a great place to hang out. Cafes. Wonderful buildings.

Bobm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back