• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seasons Greetings Everyone!

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I wish everyone joy for the Christmas season and my best wishes for a healthy, happy and successful 2010. :D

My very best wishes go to those indomitable pilgrims doing a winter Camino. :!:

I hope to arrive in SJPDP sometime in August after completing the route from Le Puy.

Bob M

Attachments

• XmasTree.gif
    XmasTree.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,268
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Joining Bob and wishing everyone joy and peace for the Christmas season.
annie

Attachments

• kynttilä.png
    kynttilä.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,148
photo.jpg

Same from me. Happy holidays everyone!
(Took this photo walking home today from work. Plaza de Cervantes, Santiago).

Ivar

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Our family crib, complete with shell and Camino arrows.
A happy Christmas to all,
God bless you,
Terry and Valerie

Attachments

• navidad.jpg
    navidad.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 2,056
I like Ivar's digital snow, but can someone doing a winter camino post a pic of the real stuff? I am keen to see what the conditions are like in winter for pilgrims.

Today at my home in Melbourne the temperature is expected to reach 39 degrees C 8) . We need snow, lovely snow.

Bob M

Bob,

You are most welcome to switch with me for a couple of months.

Up in the Norw. Arctic, the sun left here on Nov. 21. It will return on Jan. 21, 2010. In the meantime, it looks like this at my cottage now:

vinterdag2.jpg

If you want fresh water, just hack your way through the river ice. Wood for the stove can be found in the nearby (small) forrest.

You want snow? Be my guest: -6 now, forecast says -15 (C) in the next days, :lol:

I will wait for you at the airport with my keys. Please bring yours... :wink:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
alexwalker said:
Up in the Norw. Arctic, the sun left here on Nov. 21. It will return on Jan. 21, 2010. In the meantime, it looks like this at my cottage now:

If you want fresh water, just hack your way through the river ice. Wood for the stove can be found in the nearby (small) forrest.

You want snow? Be my guest: -6 now, forecast says -15 (C) in the next days

Sounds like Paradise where you live, Alex :lol: Except for 2 months without Sun, not so good. On the other hand, you have the aurora to look. White Xmas! Reindeer! What could be nicer?

I have just come back from a walk. Stepping outside the door, I was hit by a blast of wind as if from an oven. Later today, a cool front will come through, the wind will swing sharply to the SW and the temperature will drop to maybe 25 degrees in 20 minutes.

Bob M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

I shan´t post a photo as it is hot and sunny here in Brazil, around 30C! :D :D :D

Sandra

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone.

41 degrees here yesterday. Statistically, February is our hottest month :D

Alan.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was 40 degrees in August this year when I walked part of the Vezelay route. Fortunately only one day was that hot, although a few were over 30 degrees.

At the gite at Lasbros they told me it often snowed quite heavily in winter, so I suppose it could be snowing there even now.

At the time, after enduring summer heat, it seemed completely impossible that snow could ever fall there.

I rather like the thought of a winter camino.

Bob M

Well, Rebekah, you certainly have snow. It looks wonderful to snow-deprived folk like me, but living in snow may not be such fun, as Alex's cri de coeur in an earlier post makes clear.

Anyway, the dramatic change of scenery and vegetation as the seasons progress is wonderful to see. In a few months spring will come and new life will erupt in all its beauty.

Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rebekah Scott said:
here´s a view of "our" camino this morning, 17 Dec.:
Hi,
Last night in Dublin we got the lightest dusting of that miserable ersatz 'polystyrene beads pretending to be snow' sort of stuff :(
Looking at all that pristine snow Rebekah how do you curb the irresistible urge to make a snow angel...... or two?
Nell

electric down in the night and woke up to this,quite enjoyed trying out my new winter gear while manfully striding to the village store for the morning paper-
Merry Christmas
Ian :D

Attachments

• Optimized-snow[1].JPG
    Optimized-snow[1].JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,337
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Happy Xmas from Hampi, India. Sorry I cant do pics.

This is a site of ancient worship and pilgrimage. It's 30 degrees and I dont think Santa will be dropping by anytime soon... you just cant get the reindeer these days... And no chimney pots either... :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... knowing just what kind of nasty might be just beneath that snow is what keeps me on my feet and out of the snow-angel business. That, and asthma! Cold air and horizontal-ness do not a happy breather make.

Still, the enjoyment is rife. The sun came out today, and the camino is blindingly bright white!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

The weather service here in New York City has predicted 3 to 6 inches of snow beginning tomorrow afternoon. Heard that Santiago also has some of the white stuff. Thanks everyone for the Camino winter snow pics!

Tony in cold New York City

Happy Holidays to all on the the Forum!

Here's a wintertime photo of my little town (Telluride) in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, USA.

Attachments

• 2138917893_679846d2e2.jpg
    2138917893_679846d2e2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,191
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Happy Holidays everyone!

It's been -36 to -40 degrees here in the Canadian Noth, but not much snow yet! I am spending a lot of time revisiting memories of May on the Extremadura to keep me warm!

Special thoughts to those on the Camino over the holidays - be well and go safely!

lynne

[Just a couple more, a "Feliz Navidad" to all from the Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_4314.jpg
    IMG_4314.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,089
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Such wonderful photos! Snow! A beautiful shot of Telluride! :D

We also have medieval pilgrim verse and Rebekah's coining of "horizontal-ness". :!:

But my happiness won't be complete until I see a pic of reindeer, even plastic ones would do in a pinch. There are excellent pilgrims in Norway, surely one of them can give me a reindeer.

Bob M

Here is a crib from the Cook Islands, complete with coconuts:

Attachments

• Cook-Islands-Crib.jpg
    Cook-Islands-Crib.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,030
BobM said:
!:
But my happiness won't be complete until I see a pic of reindeer, even plastic ones would do in a pinch. There are excellent pilgrims in Norway, surely one of them can give me a reindeer.
Bob M

Hello Bob!
My brother is living in Rovaniemi, Finland and these pictures with reindeers are taken around the Arctic Circle. The Northern Finland, Sweden and Norway are in the middle of the darkest time of the year now, for about 8 weeks the sun cannot be seen at all around Christmas and IT IS DARK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgPTTvH6 ... re=related
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10414249@N ... 453273479/

Merry Christmas
annie

Mary and Joseph travel from home to home during Advent in our parish until they arrive at the church crib on Christmas Eve. The came to our house during last weekend when we were taking part in a 'PowerOff' project, living without electricity for two days, hence the charming candlelit scene on the kitchen table.

No reindeer, but I'd like to point out that I knitted the donkey, a couple of years ago.

Happy Christmas, pilgrims.
Bridget
x

Attachments

• 12122009010.jpg
    12122009010.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 1,068
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annie, Annie, Annie!! :D :D

I am now a happy man. All those reindeer! Plus the one pulling the sleigh!

The last topping on my cake of happiness would be to see an aurora. If your brother can post such a photo, I will be his slave for life. :!:

Bob M

No Santa on the beach, alas :(

Just a few of the locals having a nice Christmas.

BTW, I should explain the cockatoo hanging off the umbrella. It's not some bizarre Xmas sacrifice. You often see cockatoos hanging upside down and screeching among themselves. They get a lot of fun out of it - and so do the human onlookers.

And the "rat" sitting on the emu is not a rat, it's a bilby - one of the few native mammals that have not (yet) been wiped out by feral cats and foxes.

Bob M

Attachments

• AussieXmasCard.jpg
    AussieXmasCard.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 953
BobM said:
No Santa on the beach, alas :(

Just a few of the locals having a nice Christmas.

Bob M
Bob I don´t have any pictures on aurora but found some on the internet. There is a village called Porjus in the Northern Sweden and they are expecting some aurora the next week. Hope the webcams are allright.

No santa on the beach - pitty!
http://www.porjus.eu/

LATER adding another webcam for the Aurora - I hope it works allright!
http://www.auroraskystation.se/understand/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Goodevening everybody on this forum,
And..... Australia and Norway have switched keys. Snow or Sun for everybody.
May the spirit of Christmas be with you.
Recently I saw a documentary on National Geographic about the Camino de Santiago. A lady said that there would be world peace if everybody walked the camino.
Buen Camino!

Merry Christmas from the Washington, DC area after 20" of snow. There were birds at the feeder until I went out with the camera.

Attachments

• P1010936.jpg
    P1010936.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 736

€83,-
SN856679.jpg

I wish you a merry and delighted christmas and a great 2010 as well.

Buen camino and best wishes from germany.

BobM said:
But my happiness won't be complete until I see a pic of reindeer, even plastic ones would do in a pinch. There are excellent pilgrims in Norway, surely one of them can give me a reindeer. Bob M

Bob.... I have been haunted by your heartfelt plea, and in the spirit of Christmas felt obliged to discover a reindeer for you. The one pictured lives just outside a farm paddock where they have a few deer! Sunshine, not snow sorry!

I am also including a picture of the Nativity from the local cathedral. They will add the baby Jesus to the scene at the beginning of Midnight Mass.

Attachments

• DSC08216.jpg
    DSC08216.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 546
  • DSC08211.jpg
    DSC08211.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 547
KiwiNomad06 said:
Bob.... I have been haunted by your heartfelt plea, and in the spirit of Christmas felt obliged to discover a reindeer for you. The one pictured lives just outside a farm paddock where they have a few deer!

Yes!! Reindeer No 528 (see eartag).

It is now Christmas Eve and so many wonderful people have shown me snow, reindeer, links to "aurora cams", sacred Xmas scenes, Santas on the verandah, on NZ farms. Great pics, including that haunting, tightly-framed close-up of Geradine'.

What more could one ask?

Best Wishes

Bob M

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back