• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second Big Decision Made

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Have decided to make my first pilgrimage in the Spring rather than the Fall. Will depart MI mid May and return the end of June. First decision was to even do this. Many reasons for the Spring choice.

Next big decision, Begin in St Jean or a bit down the road (likely Roncesvalles or Pamplona). I frankly (at age 72) am a bit fearful of beginning this length trip with the demanding 1450M climb and then the steep decent. Afraid that some part(s) of this old body might blow apart thus running the risk of trashing the whole journey.

I know enough to go slow and to set my own pace. That's not a problem for we older folks; we know not to attempt to be 19 again. The real question is: can I even make the climb at any pace?

My heart says: "Do it all." My reason says: "Be smart."

Thoughts? And, where would you choose to begin if not in St. Jean?

Gracias!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Roncevalles would be my choice, as it is where many Spanish begin, then it's a nice downhill to Pamplona where a visit of 2 days would be very interesting after that you get into farm country. April can be a very nice time to walk if the heat is what your trying to avoid.
Buen Camino

My heart says: "Do it all."...
As many threads attest, there is no "all" unless you walk all the way from home. SJPP has no official status, although it is a popular place to start. If you want a more gradual start but want to walk all across Spain, Roncesvalles would be a good place to start. Or do it from Pamplona, which is simpler to get to.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Of course it is better to be safe specially at the start. But, if you are fit and does not have any serious underlying conditions for some uphill walking, don't let other people's description of crossing this pyrenees stage stop you. The hike is not that steep at all. Distance can be if you walk the entire stage in one go. Consider stopping at Orisson, about 8km from sjdpp, enjoy the most beautiful alberque there, have some french cuisine for dinner, meet all the other fellow walkers, break the ice and then continue to Roncevalles.

Here is a youtube video that shows the 1st stage. Although it is in Spanish, you can clearly see the trail conditions. After seeing this i am sure you will feel that this is a piece of cake. It is not anywhere close to any mountain climb some people make it to be, mostly a steady uphill country walk along a paved road. The decent into Roncesvalles is a bit steeper but short. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hello Jeff, you've plenty of time to think about that decision and figure out what is best for you. You'll get a range of opinions here, with some people advising against walking from St Jean and a (small!) few like @Rajy62 above suggesting that it's a 'piece of cake'. Only you can decide what is best for you, based on your physical fitness, health and confidence levels. There's no 'right' starting point.

As you're walking in the Spring, the weather may also be a factor. In the meantime, I suggest that you just do lots of walking so that you're physically and mentally prepared for whatever you decide to do.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

As a 67 year old, who is a little younger than you, I have a few suggestions, but my solution is to do it by bicycle from Pamplona.

Know how many days you can push yourself, before you need a recovery day. I need two recovery days a week to keep going at full output. Figure that and some bad weather into your schedule.

Always have some options in mind. Sit out a storm in a restaurant or town. Send your backpack ahead on hard up or downhill stretches, or call a cab to either take you or your backpack to the next place, in the event something doesn't seem safe or right. Make sure you are never pressed for time, as it may force you to make bad decisions.

Learn how to use two treking poles. There is a reason they are adjustable. Longer for down hill and easier on your knees, shorter up hill, long for use as nordic walking poles to propel you on the flat.

Good luck

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of course it is better to be safe specially at the start. But, if you are fit and does not have any serious underlying conditions for some uphill walking, don't let other people's description of crossing this pyrenees stage stop you. The hike is not that steep at all. Distance can be if you walk the entire stage in one go. Consider stopping at Orisson, about 8km from sjdpp, enjoy the most beautiful alberque there, have some french cuisine for dinner, meet all the other fellow walkers, break the ice and then continue to Roncevalles.

Here is a youtube video that shows the 1st stage. Although it is in Spanish, you can clearly see the trail conditions. After seeing this i am sure you will feel that this is a piece of cake. It is not anywhere close to any mountain climb some people make it to be, mostly a steady uphill country walk along a paved road. The decent into Roncesvalles is a bit steeper but short. Buen Camino.

Wonderful video and thank you for sharing,it is indeed a nice walk if your not carrying any kit on your back ;)

Great video..... I am a good walker but, with the problems with beds and overcrowding, I am thinking of going with a Tour operator to ensure I get my beds.... ! Not a full camino experience, but, I do need to ensure I have the security of a bed, Am also thinking of starting in Pamplona .. the most I have walked continuously is a week... so 30+ days of continous walking seems WOW...!

Have decided to make my first pilgrimage in the Spring rather than the Fall. Will depart MI mid May and return the end of June. First decision was to even do this. Many reasons for the Spring choice.

Next big decision, Begin in St Jean or a bit down the road (likely Roncesvalles or Pamplona). I frankly (at age 72) am a bit fearful of beginning this length trip with the demanding 1450M climb and then the steep decent. Afraid that some part(s) of this old body might blow apart thus running the risk of trashing the whole journey.

I know enough to go slow and to set my own pace. That's not a problem for we older folks; we know not to attempt to be 19 again. The real question is: can I even make the climb at any pace?

Gracias!

Hello Jeff,
In many respects it is six of one and half dozen of another. I love France and cannot think of another starting place except Saint Jean; however, that is strictly a personal preference. I really like the idea of stopping at Orisson offered by others. On the other hand, beginning further along the Camino is just as good. It all depends on what you want.

There is a certain joy that comes with walking over the Pyrenees. Yet, that initial walk has begun a mountain of woes for those who were not in good condition or had poor shoes, etc. Beginning where you can gently acclimate to the Way increases the probability that you will finish without a lot of problems.

No choice you make will be wrong.

Buen Camino,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Gracias!
I would listen to your heart....

Gracias!
Hola, Jeff!

If you decide to walk from SJPdP there is still this option through the valley. With possibility to cut it in half if sleeping in Valcarlos:
http://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles
Albergue Valcarlos:
http://www.gronze.com/navarra/valcarlos/albergue-municipal-valcarlos

Less height to cover and still quite beautiful walk.

Each way you decide to start your Camino - Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Our Caminos started at birth, "Thank you Mom". You can add to life's experience by doing what you want, but you can't go back in time to re-do, so please enjoy whichever path. There are mistakes and missteps. There are not "true" maps. Yours will be personal ....Ultreya....... Willy?Utah/USA

I think that you are right with your flexible options. SJPP is not a kind of "official" departing place. Most Spaniards choose Roncesvalles.
On the other side, SJPP is a very nice Basque city. And there is "something" about crossing a mountain pass and a national frontier. You can choose,as above mentioned, the Valcarlos easier way, sleeping in the good municipal albergue; I did it and the second part, to Roncesvalles, was not difficult, with the only inconvenient of a section along a highway (but with scarce traffic)
I found the other way, to Orisson one or the toughest I have walked (as you can see, opinions vary). But you can take the van from Roncesvalles to Orisson; from there, it is just a gradual and long ascent, not particularly tough.
A final note: currently the Pilgrim's bureau in SJPP does not recommend the final and steep forest descent from Lepoeder to Roncesvalles. Instead, it proposes the paved road by way of Ibañeta chapel, which is just a pleasant walk, easy with not-so-young (I am in my early sixties....) battered knees. It is clearly signposted, as you can see here
Buen camino!

Last edited:
I'm starting in SJPDP, and I want to continue on to Finesterre after Santiago. I like the idea of walking across an entire country. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My heart says: "Do it all."
Even if you start in Sarria, you will have done it all. SJPdP is a modern invention. Traditionally, pilgrims started at their front door, and had to walk back to it. Roncesvalles is the starting point of the Camino Frances. The part before it is actually the Camino Navarra.

I like starting in Pamplona because it is easy to get to, has lots of beds, starts out with a couple of easy-t0-moderate days for conditioning, has great food, has places to buy everything I may have forgotten, and has a great ambiance. Overdoing it is the number one cause of having to quit. Stay within your limits ("non-destructive testing" in the engineering world). ;)

Gracias!

Jeff:

The majority of people start in Sarria. The Spaniards, who walk the Frances, start in Roncesvalles. Pamplona is one of the easiest places to reach and start. Those with shorter time lines start in Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada etc. etc. etc.
SJPdP is a rustic village in France and for some reason has become a starting point for many non Spaniards. Contrary to the video above, I would recommend if you choose SJPdP as a starting point you make a reservation in Orisson.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the best one for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you stop in Orisson the distance isn't so bad out of SJPdP. The toughest part on the elders will be the downhill accent into Roncesvalles but I met quite a lot of 60+ year olds trucking down slowly.

If you have really poor knees or ankles then you might want to skip but if you are a hiker I would recommend it.

My first Camino, I started in Burgos, walked to Sahagun, and then had to skip to O'Cebreiro because of tendinitis. This next time, I'm starting in SJPDP, but will be shooting for ~15km/ day because my tendons are still an issue, even 3 years later. I'm not even trying to take the Rte Napoleon, and plan to stop in Valcarlos on my first night.

This is YOUR Camino, and no matter what you plan, you will likely have a different Camino than the one you planned anyway. If you have unlimited time, just make a decision. There is no right or wrong way to do this. Send your backpack forward, or not, and walk at your pace. This time around, I plan to send my pack forward on any days where I have to walk more than 15 km. I have to, or I won't be able to finish. I may have to skip some in the middle again to get to Santiago before I have to fly home, and that's ok, too.

Honestly, I'm one of those people who obsess and try to plan as much as possible (my three favorite apps on my phone are Todoist and out of milk, both apps for making lists, and my budgeting app! :p ), and I've come to the conclusion that God is wanting me to do this again so that I can learn to let go of THE PLAN. Because you are going in the spring, you will have less issues with finding a bed, so I wouldn't worry about that--the Camino provides (I personally think it is God because of the intercession of St. James, but I realize that not everyone is Catholic ;)). If you think you might have issues, put a popular hotel booking site's app on your phone (I've downloaded booking.com, but it really doesn't matter), and then use it on the days when the Albergue is full. If my first Camino is any indication, I can personally attest that I have gotten exactly what I needed when I needed it while on the Camino. Trust in that.

Blessings,

Ruth

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back