• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second Camino advice

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
Hi
I walked the frances in September 17 from sjdp. I absolutely loved it and now having caught the bug I plan to do a second one in April this year.
I want to walk a different way this time and I like the thought of a quieter route. After a fair bit of reading I am uncertain of which way to go and would appreciate any input.
I have a bit of flexibility but I am looking at 3-4 weeks say 400-500km sometime between late march and mid may. 22-25 km a day is perfect but some 30km+ days are fine.
My ideal walk is a well marked trail, easy underfoot, flat or undulating or steep climbing all OK. I am not very keen on steep downhills on narrow rocky trails. It is nice to have a bit of variety but I enjoyed the meseta too. It would be great to get some of those special Camino places again like the pilgrim masses, volunteer run alburges, open churches and communal meals. I am happy to walk alone or with a few others but it would be good to have other people to talk to in the evenings. My Spanish is terrible unfortunately.
At the moment I am leaning towards the vdlp from salamanca via ourense. Initially I was looking at the Salvador / Primitivo but I now think it might be a little tough alone this time. Any advice or input about these or other options, or timing would be great.
Cheers Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Paul,

I am going back in May but this time I will complete the Camino Frances. My first was a disaster, but it was long enough for me to catch the bug as well.

The Via de la Plata from Madrid is about 1,000 km, not shorter, but perhaps it could be done in two trips. Beyond this, there is the Portuguese Route and then to walk to Muxia and Finisterre would work out time wise. Del Norte is certainly comparable to CF in length and ups and downs but is much quieter. The down side is to make it fit your timing, it may be wise to start around Santander, which is easily accessible from Bilbao.

Another option is the Camino Ingles adding Finisterre / Muxia. On this one, I must stress that though many skip Muxia, it is one of the most spiritually uplifting places on all Caminos. Visiting here, will help provide a satisfaction, a reward for the effort given to get there, across the entire country. Do not pass it by. You could, but you will never know what was missed. I guess it could be put in that category of, "going the extra mile."

Paul,
We were hospiteleros at Zamora this winter. If you enjoy company you may find the vdlp to be more solitary. Also the trek is more hilly/mountainous in the north the closer you get to your end point to my understanding. I think Seville to Salamanca (about 500 km) may be flatter.
Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi
I walked the frances in September 17 from sjdp. I absolutely loved it and now having caught the bug I plan to do a second one in April this year.
I want to walk a different way this time and I like the thought of a quieter route. After a fair bit of reading I am uncertain of which way to go and would appreciate any input.
I have a bit of flexibility but I am looking at 3-4 weeks say 400-500km sometime between late march and mid may. 22-25 km a day is perfect but some 30km+ days are fine.
My ideal walk is a well marked trail, easy underfoot, flat or undulating or steep climbing all OK. I am not very keen on steep downhills on narrow rocky trails. It is nice to have a bit of variety but I enjoyed the meseta too. It would be great to get some of those special Camino places again like the pilgrim masses, volunteer run alburges, open churches and communal meals. I am happy to walk alone or with a few others but it would be good to have other people to talk to in the evenings. My Spanish is terrible unfortunately.
At the moment I am leaning towards the vdlp from salamanca via ourense. Initially I was looking at the Salvador / Primitivo but I now think it might be a little tough alone this time. Any advice or input about these or other options, or timing would be great.
Cheers Paul

Paul:

My first inclination was to recommend a combination of the San Salvador/ Primitivo. This is a wonderful combination. The San Salvador (4 to 6 days) is, I believe , still sparsely traveled. It is a beautiful walk. The Primitivo (11 to 14 days) is a great hilly walk and more likely to provide some companionship. I really enjoyed both these Camino's. That said, if you intend to walk in the March time frame you could encounter snow and muddy conditions.

So, if walking in solitude and Spring, my recommendation would be the Madrid (11 to 14 days). The weather in general might be wet and there could be snow in the mountains between Cercedilla and Segovia. Once you reach the Frances in Sahagun you will probably be wanting for some conversation. You will also have lots of options for extending you walk. In Leon you could head north and walk the San Salvador or stay on the Frances. Once you hit Ponferrada, if the Frances becomes to busy, you can pick up the Invierno.

There are also other good options, Norte, VdlP, or Portuguese etc. etc.

Whatever route you take, I am sure it will be a great walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

I think the VdlP sounds perfect that time of year. March 2017 I walked from Seville to Merida. Have other plans for 2018 and won’t get to Europe, but March 2019, hopefully I’ll be back on the VdlP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the advice folks. Based on this and responses to a similar question I posted in the Primitivo thread. I think I will opt to walk the Vdlp/Sanabres starting from Salamanca in early/mid April. I will save the other suggestions for another time.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back