• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second Camino Route Opinions

Lillie

Time of past OR future Camino
Lèon-Muxia in May (2017)
I walked from Leon to Santiago when I was 19 with a group of friends. I am considering a solo/partly solo trek next year but need advice on which section to walk. I am thinking 2 weeks to try out solo.

Option 1: Re-walk the same section, now solo and older

Option 2: Start at St. Jean Pied de Port and see all new sections ending in Burgos

Any thought on ending in the middle or rewalking instead of seeing new sections?
Will it be strange to end in the middle?

Thanks for still being here!

Attachments

• 2E6DA0F4-6FBE-4852-A896-37F8D0F63FCB.jpeg
    2E6DA0F4-6FBE-4852-A896-37F8D0F63FCB.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 23
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From my position in lockdown at the opposite end of the world, ANY Camino would be a good one! What do you feel drawn to? Do you like the adventure of trying something new? What appeals about repeating? If it’s ending in Santiago, perhaps you could do that AND try something new by walking the Portuguese from Porto. If you are a little fearful of the new on your own, then perhaps you will feel better if you consider the Camino is actually safe and you already know you are capable!
It’s not strange to finish “in the middle”. Next time you might do Burgos to Leon and then turn right and nip up the San Salvador. You might even love it so much you get more time off and do the Primitivo too, ending again at Santiago. But if you do, it’s unlikely to be your last!!
If you walk the same section again, can I suggest you release expectations and welcome what the new journey offers?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Whichever appeals to you most! My first inclination was toward doing the SJPP to Burgos part this time.

Will it be strange to end in the middle? Yes, a bit, but if you are prepared for that, its not the same as being caught by surprise. Even if you walk into Santiago, you'll need to leave new friends!

Both are good solutions! But you could also consider another route that will get you to Santiago in the time available. There is something special about completing a journey with (or loosely "with") new friends you have made along the way. What month are you thinking about - that will affect how many other people will be walking various routes.

@Lillie You have many good options but if you’re inclined to walk SJPP to Burgos, I’d go for it.

A lovely basque village to start from and a wonderful cathedral city to finish. Crossing the Pyrenees (whether by Route Napoleon or Valcaros) is a memorable experience - at least it was for me. You’ll walk through varied terrain and lots of towns and villages in between e.g. Pamplona, Puenta la Reina, Ciraqui, Estella Lorca, Los Arcos, Logrono … and that’s just a few and not necessarily in order. Plus you will get to walk up to Alto del Pardon which is a bit special.

The only disclaimer - I last walked the Frances in 2013 so of course there have been changes, in the number of pilgrims and level of commercial infrastructure - which is a négative or positive depending on your perspective. I don’t know how long since your Leon to SdeC Camino so these changes may or may not be a considération.

Best wishes for your decision making. 🙏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first question that you need to ask yourself is if you think that you might have issues with separating from those that you have met along the way while they continue on to Santiago to "finish" the Camino.
If not, start in SJPDP and walk as far as you can.
If you think that you might have issues with not ending in Santiago then do the Frances from LeĂłn (it will be different for you as a solo pilgrim than it was when you were in a group) or do something like the Portuguese Camino from Porto.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first question that you need to ask yourself is if you think that you might have issues with separating from those that you have met along the way while they continue on to Santiago to "finish" the Camino.
If not, start in SJPDP and walk as far as you can.
If you think that you might have issues with not ending in Santiago then do the Frances from LeĂłn (it will be different for you as a solo pilgrim than it was when you were in a group) or do something like the Portuguese Camino from Porto.
Or the Primitivo, and you can join the Frances at Melide. Oviedo and Lugo both wonderful towns.

First time I walked I did Leon to Santiago. I had been thinking about walking the whole CF for years but couldn't find a month so decided to use the two weeks I had. But I ended up loving walking on the camino. So the next year I walked a week from StJPdeP to Estella, then another week, another week and eventually I finished back up in Leon. I have a picture of me very excited on the blue pedestrian bridge on very edge of Leon. So I would say go and walk another section of the CF, and maybe one day join them all up.
Alternatively the Camino Portugues is good alternative with plenty of pilgrims, great baked goods (oh for a pastel de nata) and allows a finish in Santiago.

I walked from Leon to Santiago when I was 19 with a group of friends. I am considering a solo/partly solo trek next year but need advice on which section to walk. I am thinking 2 weeks to try out solo.

Option 2: Start at St. Jean Pied de Port and see all new sections ending in Burgos

Any thought on ending in the middle or rewalking instead of seeing new sections?

Ending in Burgos?
Not having walked the Meseta?
Surely you didn't think you could let that option slide by without us noticing?
Screw your courage to the sticking post!
Regards and our best wishes Pilgrim.
Gerard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Option 2.....absolutely!!!!!!

How interesting to read this, as I walked from SJPP to Leon 5 years ago and am now wondering whether to walk Leon to Santiago or carry on to Finisterre. Each Camino experience is unique.

I've never walked the same Camino - though I've walked the Frances many times.

Starting in StJpdP? You get to climb a big hill and then you get to walk Navarra, Rioja and some wonderful roads. Start again in Leon and you get to discover what a capricious thing memory is. It will be a new road for you even if you walked it before.

As the lovely @gerardcarey has alluded above you'll still miss the Meseta; for some of us the most profound days available on that slog to the old boys bones. Maybe you could walk Pamplona to Leon?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked the Camino Frances twice from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela, once in the springtime, and once in the autumn. After my first pilgrimage walk, I felt, as many do, that I had unfinished business with Saint James and was drawn to make the pilgrimage walk again. In considering the route, I realized that the first time on such a journey there is a good bit of anxiety, mostly subconscious: how difficult is the hill I see in the guidebook; how difficult is the downhill; will I find good places to eat today; will I find a good place to stay tonight; etc., etc. I came to believe that by walking the same route again, while I would not remember every detail, I would have a good idea of what each day would bring, allowing me more time to immerse myself in the beauty, the meditative, and the spiritual/religious aspects of the pilgrimage. And it was all that and a much deeper experience - as if I had more time to see and as if my eyes were more open allowing me to see more. The first is always special, but the second pilgrimage route on the same route was a very deep cerebral and religious experience for me.

Choose what draws you back to the Camino. I think of a quote from Jack Hitt, author of "Off the Road: A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain" which was part of the motivation for Emilio Estevez in making the film "The Way" and I paraphrase:

Almost any reason to go to Spain and walk to Santiago ends up being a great one.

Buen Camino
--james--

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,
i have done the Camino 3 times, once in early spring from Pamplona with my wife and once from St Jean Peid de Port in early fall also with my wife. Since they were different seasons each was different in what we experienced in the journeys. So doing the same route but in a different season I feel would be quite different but still ending in Santiago. The last time I did by myself and did the Portuguese route from Porto in spring. It also was wonderful and would take 2 weeks or less. Personally to me finishing in Santiago is very special. I hope to go again, which route, I don’t know but every time has been unique.
Whatever you choose you will not regret it!
Buen Camino

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
From my position in lockdown at the opposite end of the world, ANY Camino would be a good one! What do you feel drawn to? Do you like the adventure of trying something new? What appeals about repeating? If it’s ending in Santiago, perhaps you could do that AND try something new by walking the Portuguese from Porto. If you are a little fearful of the new on your own, then perhaps you will feel better if you consider the Camino is actually safe and you already know you are capable!
It’s not strange to finish “in the middle”. Next time you might do Burgos to Leon and then turn right and nip up the San Salvador. You might even love it so much you get more time off and do the Primitivo too, ending again at Santiago. But if you do, it’s unlikely to be your last!!
If you walk the same section again, can I suggest you release expectations and welcome what the new journey offers?
I agree, not just because I'm also in the same city and position as @Kiwi-family. In 2019 I returned to walk the Camino Frances, and as I had time I started from SJJP. Essentially I was repeating my walk from SJJP to Lorgono, yet I wasn't, because I stayed in different towns and meet different people. Sometimes I walked alone, other times I didn't. And lastly, a wonderful trip to undertake as a solo traveller.

I have walked the Camino Frances twice from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela, once in the springtime, and once in the autumn. After my first pilgrimage walk, I felt, as many do, that I had unfinished business with Saint James and was drawn to make the pilgrimage walk again. In considering the route, I realized that the first time on such a journey there is a good bit of anxiety, mostly subconscious: how difficult is the hill I see in the guidebook; how difficult is the downhill; will I find good places to eat today; will I find a good place to stay tonight; etc., etc. I came to believe that by walking the same route again, while I would not remember every detail, I would have a good idea of what each day would bring, allowing me more time to immerse myself in the beauty, the meditative, and the spiritual/religious aspects of the pilgrimage. And it was all that and a much deeper experience - as if I had more time to see and as if my eyes were more open allowing me to see more. The first is always special, but the second pilgrimage route on the same route was a very deep cerebral and religious experience for me.

Choose what draws you back to the Camino. I think of a quote from Jack Hitt, author of "Off the Road: A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route into Spain" which was part of the motivation for Emilio Estevez in making the film "The Way" and I paraphrase:

Almost any reason to go to Spain and walk to Santiago ends up being a great one.

Buen Camino
--james--
For my second Camino, I was vacillating between walking Porto to Santiago or re-walking the Camino Frances. @JamesGeier, based on your experience and comment I will re-walk the Camino Frances. Thank you for the "confirmation." I unwittingly followed the days and stages in the guidebook to stay on a schedule and be with the group of new friends. This second trip I want to slow down and see/experience more: will stop and stay in town if it calls to me, make side trips to visit a landmark, sit longer for my lattes and lunches, and speak with the locals...

Thank you again, @JamesGeier.

I think for a second Camino finishing in Santiago is a good idea.

And, it is much better to do a continuous walk - no skipping sections for any reason - a continuous flow is much more rewarding.

For variety, with only 2 weeks or so, Salamanca to Santiago - lots of reasons why this is a good alternative. Not via Astorga but on the quieter via de la Plata route, and whilst quieter than the Frances still fine for solo as are most routes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Wow thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses! I can’t respond to each one but they have helped very much. I believe I am going to do the Portuguese Coastal route this time then explore France afterwards. I am a teacher so I will have many chances in the future to come back in summer and try one full Camino Frances journey. Amazing suggestions thank you everyone!

First time I walked I did Leon to Santiago. I had been thinking about walking the whole CF for years but couldn't find a month so decided to use the two weeks I had. But I ended up loving walking on the camino. So the next year I walked a week from StJPdeP to Estella, then another week, another week and eventually I finished back up in Leon. I have a picture of me very excited on the blue pedestrian bridge on very edge of Leon. So I would say go and walk another section of the CF, and maybe one day join them all up.
Alternatively the Camino Portugues is good alternative with plenty of pilgrims, great baked goods (oh for a pastel de nata) and allows a finish in Santiago.
I think I will do the Portuguese this time! Thank you for the suggestion!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back