• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second Camino: What route to take

Marcel234

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
Time of past OR future Camino
2009/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 and this June 2017
In 2009 and 2010 I walked the Camino Frances and I'm thinking to do another Camino this year.

But I find it difficult to make a choice between the alternative routes. At the moment I'm thinking about the Via de la Plata or the Camino del Norte, but other suggestions are also really appreciated.

Important for my choice:
- This summer (august) I will have the time for abou 20 days of walking.
- In November I can do another 14 days of walking.
- I love the heat! I want a lot of sun (in summer). 30 degrees is no problem for me. My first camino frances was in july and august. Lovely.
- I love nature. I don't mind walking along a highway for a few kilometres but the more nature the better.
- I love meeting other pilgrims (hence the walking in july/august) but I don't mind being alone (hence the walking in November).
- I would like it to be harder than the Frances. I loved the pyrenees for example.

I really appreciate it to hear your advice!!!!

Best regards,

Marcel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How about a route in France?
You could walk some of the Arles Route, turn south to the Somport Pass and walk the spectacular Aragones route to Pamplona.
Then you could hop on a bus to Bilbao and continue on the Norte to as far as you can get or all the way to Oviedo and then south again on the stunning Primitivo route.
You are really spoilt for choice!

sillydoll said:
How about a route in France?
You could walk some of the Arles Route, turn south to the Somport Pass and walk the spectacular Aragones route to Pamplona.
Then you could hop on a bus to Bilbao and continue on the Norte to as far as you can get or all the way to Oviedo and then south again on the stunning Primitivo route.
You are really spoilt for choice!

Thanks Sil! I thought about a route in France. I heard the routes are really beautiful. I looked at the Le puy route, but never at the Arles. The only thing I don't like in France is the language :p. My Spanish is basic but I can talk to locals and love that. My French is zero (altough my father is French :-o). So I'm scared that I cannot make myself understandable. Can you give me an advices on this part.

In november 2010 I went back to do some parts of the Frances again. And one thing I didn't like is taking a bus. I love the walking, but when I took the bus my 'Camino feeling' changed. In the Netherlands I live the 'fast' live, and I want to escape from that.

But maybe you see it differntly, so I would love to hear your viewq on it.

Can you tell me how long it will take from Arles to Pamplona?

Again thanks.

Again thanks sill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With 20 days to walk you could start in Lourdes, 3 days to Oloron St Marie, 3 days to Canfranc and then to Pamplona on the Aragones - then get the train to Irun and walk on the coastal road - which my friend describes as the most stunning camino route she has walked - to Bilbao (158km) in 7 days.

http://www.jacajacobea.com
http://jacobeo.aragon.es/flash/principal_flash2.php

http://www.basquecountrytourism.net

Then come back in November and continue on from Bilbao for 14 days.
Don't worry about the language - just speak Franglish (the Camino lingo which is a bit of French-German-Italian-Spanish and English!!)

I have not walked the via de la plata but have done part of the Norte (from Irun to Aviles). I think you would enjoy the "nature" part. It is very naturally beautiful--the views down to the sea are amazing. I thought it was harder than the frances too. Very hilly. Not sure what it would be like in November though. good luck in making your choice.

sillydoll said:
With 20 days to walk you could start in Lourdes, 3 days to Oloron St Marie, 3 days to Canfranc and then to Pamplona on the Aragones - then get the train to Irun and walk on the coastal road - which my friend describes as the most stunning camino route she has walked - to Bilbao (158km) in 7 days.

I prefer not to take a bus. I want to take it 'slow', so as less transportation as possible (except for my feet ;-))

I looked at the Arles route. What do you think about walking from Toulouse to Puenta la Reina. According to the map about 18 days. Is that a nice part. And did you like it more than the Spanish alternatives?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
viajero said:
I have not walked the via de la plata but have done part of the Norte (from Irun to Aviles). I think you would enjoy the "nature" part. It is very naturally beautiful--the views down to the sea are amazing. I thought it was harder than the frances too. Very hilly. Not sure what it would be like in November though. good luck in making your choice.

Did you walk the Frances? What was in your oppinion the difference between the two routes?

And what about this...

Is it possible to go from Toulouse to Lourdes to Oloron St Marie to Pamplona/ Puenta la Reina?

I walked the Frances and the Norte. I felt the Frances maybe had the edge culturally but the Norte I thought had more natural beauty (I also had really great weather on the norte). The Norte has a lot more ups and downs--especially the first week as I recall. I remember thinking that, although I walked, the Frances would be easier by bike. I also thought that the Norte would be more difficult to bike as there are so many steep uphill walks. The Frances felt more special to me but that could only be because it was my first camino (and most people I met--also their first camino) . I really don't remember much about how much road walking their is vs. trail walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@ Viajero I understand what you mean by saying your first camino felt more special. Last november I came back to the camino frances. Walking from st Jean to Estella, bus to Burgos and then again walking to Sahagun. Altough it was magnificent it could'nt compare to 2009. First times always make the deepest impressions.

But I still find it really really hard to choose. There are so many options. All the choices in Spain, France and even Portugal.

Advices is still very welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcel234 said:
And what about this...Is it possible to go from Toulouse to Lourdes to Oloron St Marie to Pamplona/ Puenta la Reina?
I PM'ed Marcel with these route suggestions, but will also put them here in case they are useful for someone else.
1) To leave from Toulouse – take the Arles route.

2) Then a little after Maubourguet you take the GR101 south to Lourdes for 46km, passing through Tarbes. This is a recently created route. You will be able to download the map for this route from http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/vari ... index.html in pdf form -from April it says on the site but I couldn’t see a link yet.

3) From Lourdes you walk along the Voie du Piemont Pyreneen, to Oloron St Marie.
http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-etapes.php – start from etape 18.

4) Then you head across the Somport Pass and take the Camino Aragones. There is quite a lot of info on the Camino Aragones section of the forum, including some info about the route from Lourdes.

I haven’t walked this route yet, but am thinking of doing some of the Voie du Piemont Pyreneen sometime, starting maybe from St Lizier.
Margaret

Consider the Camino Portugues and finish in Fistera.

You say you like the heat, yet I would suggest you be careful if you walk any of the VDP in summer, because of the heat.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked Toulouse to Maubourget, taken the bus to Lourdes by way of Pau, then taken the bus back to the Arles route. After Pau, you head for Oloron, Somport, Jaca, and Puente la Reina. If you need to meet transportation in Pamplona, you can go directly there from Sanguesa.

When it is hot, the Camino Aragones is as hot as the Via de la Plata!

KiwiNomad06 said:
Marcel234 said:
And what about this...Is it possible to go from Toulouse to Lourdes to Oloron St Marie to Pamplona/ Puenta la Reina?
I PM'ed Marcel with these route suggestions, but will also put them here in case they are useful for someone else.
Margaret

Margaret thank youn so much. Really helpful. Any Idea how long it will take from Toulouse via Lourdes to Puenta la Reina. I'm going to dig in your information!!

Caminando said:
Consider the Camino Portugues and finish in Fistera.

You say you like the heat, yet I would suggest you be careful if you walk any of the VDP in summer, because of the heat.

What is the Camino Portugues like?

I have all the options, so doesn't mather for me if it's France, Spain, Portugal or China ;-).

The difficult part is all the options!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
I have walked Toulouse to Maubourget, taken the bus to Lourdes by way of Pau, then taken the bus back to the Arles route. After Pau, you head for Oloron, Somport, Jaca, and Puente la Reina. If you need to meet transportation in Pamplona, you can go directly there from Sanguesa.

When it is hot, the Camino Aragones is as hot as the Via de la Plata!

I know about the heat and normally that's no problem for me, but I'm always carefull.

As a veteran on the Camino, what do you think Falcon is the 'best' option for my second camino considering the things I said in my first post?

I've only done the VDLP, but I LOVE it and highly recommend it. The scenery is beautiful, and it's much more off-road walking than asphalt. There are definitely challenging spots, especially after Ourense (I recommend the Galician variant that goes west from Zamora). There are also far fewer pilgrims, at least on the route, which makes it a special, contemplative experience. And you can get your fill of people/chatting when you're in town for the night. Some hospitaleras say the pilgrims on the VDLP are more relaxed because they aren't with throngs of people all day, like you can be on the Camino Frances.

Good luck with your decision -- you can't go wrong whichever route you choose.

Melanie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Marcel234 said:
I have all the options, so doesn't mather for me if it's France, Spain, Portugal or China ;-).

If it could even be China (i.e., anywhere) could you say what it is that attracts you about a camino?

well, I was recently thinking that visiting the 88 tempels of the shikoku pilgrimage in Japan would be interesting. But then, I always wanted to go to Japan...

I have researched the Shikoku pilgrimage, and a good friend has walked/bussed a lot of it. If you expect anything like the Camino Frances, your expectations will be unmet. Much of the route is very urban or along busy roads and highways. You might feel claustrophobic or crowded. The paths up to the temples can be difficult, but are very scenic. It is very much a Buddhist/Shinto pilgrimage. The accommodations are expensive and not specific to pilgrims ($60 to $125 per night). No one speaks English. Signs tend to be in Japanese only, so it is easy to get lost. You are "expected" to look like a pilgrim and wear appropriate attire. The sello at each stop is hand calligraphy, and will cost about 1,000 yen each. The people are very hospitable, but non-spiritual pilgrims had that uneasy feeling that they were not welcome. It probably cannot be done for less than $150 per day. As a first sampling of Japanese culture, it probably is not a good starting point. If you are a dedicated fan of Japan, though, it is among the ultimate activities. I graduated from high school in Kobe, Japan, and still have many friends with strong cultural ties to Japan, one of who puts together "tours" of the Shikoku pilgrimage, mostly for Japanese nationals. Few gaijin make it past the "just looking" phase.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Caminando said:
Marcel234 said:

If it could even be China (i.e., anywhere) could you say what it is that attracts you about a camino?

When I was reading 'The road to Santiago' it was the first time I heard of the camino. I was reading more and more and decided it would be a nice physical challenge. When I came home in 2009. It was so much moreno I learned a different way of living.

BUT I'm not glued to the camino. I realize every trip can be a 'camino' even if there is no Santiago in the end. At the moment I'm also looking at annapurna circuit in Nepal and the GR11/ La Senda in the Spanish pyrenees.

I love the basic life. Away from everything fast. That's why I don't like to take a bus on my 'caminos'.

Pieces said:
well, I was recently thinking that visiting the 88 tempels of the shikoku pilgrimage in Japan would be interesting. But then, I always wanted to go to Japan...

Thanks for your input! Japan doesn't attract me that much. I have the idea that everything in Japan OS fast. But maybe I'm terribly wrong. I'm a banker and I have the idea, really stupid I know, that every Japanese person is a banker. ;)

But new suggestions are always welcome, so thanks again!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back