• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second guessing on rain gear

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
So I bought my rain pants and rain jacket at REI, last november.

I'm more aware of what is available now...and also about weight and space. The two of them together are almost 3 lbs, and they take up about a third of the bottom section of my pack (I've been shoving them there with my sleeping back, hat and gloves. Frogg toggs, I see, are half the price and a top and bottom are about 1 lb.

Would you return the rain pants and jacket and get something more space saving/lighter weight?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I'm more aware of what is available now...and also about weight and space. The two of them together are almost 3 lbs, and they take up about a third of the bottom section of my pack (I've been shoving them there with my sleeping back, hat and gloves. Frogg toggs, I see, are half the price and a top and bottom are about 1 lb.

Would you return the rain pants and jacket and get something more space saving/lighter weight?

Personally, yes.
But I'm all about abusing REI's return policy to the fullest extent possible in service of my gear addiction. :D

3 lbs seems pretty heavy (and bulky), but I don't wear rain jacket pants, so I'm not sure how that compares.
I'd say hold onto the REI stuff for now, but buy the Frogg Toggs and try them out to see if they're as effective as your current get-up. But the risk there is that if you don't like them, you probably won't be able to return them.

My rain jacket and pants weigh about 600 g (1.3 lb) combined. I don't view my jacket as being specifically for rain - it is my wind breaker, cold weather and rainy weather jacket. In March you will need a decent jacket, but it doesn't have to be warm enough for the winter! That is where you use layers underneath instead of a heavier jacket. I recommend taking them back, as there should be better options at REI.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My rain jacket and pants weigh about 600 g (1.3 lb) combined. I don't view my jacket as being specifically for rain - it is my wind breaker, cold weather and rainy weather jacket. In March you will need a decent jacket, but it doesn't have to be warm enough for the winter! That is where you use layers underneath instead of a heavier jacket. I recommend taking them back, as there should be better options at REI.

Well, this is what happens when you are buying gear and you are a complete novice when it comes to gear. :p It never even occurred to me when I bought them to consider their weight. Ugh.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally, yes.
But I'm all about abusing REI's return policy to the fullest extent possible in service of my gear addiction. :D

3 lbs seems pretty heavy (and bulky), but I don't wear rain jacket pants, so I'm not sure how that compares.
I'd say hold onto the REI stuff for now, but buy the Frogg Toggs and try them out to see if they're as effective as your current get-up. But the risk there is that if you don't like them, you probably won't be able to return them.

I completely love REI for their policy. This is why I give them any business at all, ya know? And I've got no problems telling them they are just too heavy when they ask why.

The stuff you have is definitely heavy. My North Face rain jacket and my rain skirt together come to 1.3 lbs. That Costco jacket is a steal. Assuming it's good quality and is in fact waterproof. Jump in the shower and make sure :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also bought the 32 Cool Performance Rain jacket, along with a 2 pack of t-shirts for 9.99 by 32 Cool. Taking that $160 jacket back.

I might be tempted to take my pack, loaded, to Costco and see if I can get the jacket on while wearing the largest of the men's sizes. :p

I'm sure your rainsuit is robust and top quality at that weight and maybe that is a good enough reason to keep and bring it. On the other hand, 3 lbs is ALOT and having it take up a third of the room in your pack are both pretty big negatives. If it happens to rain a great deal you'd probably appreciate it, but if you get very little rain, you will have regrets. Yes, Frogg Toggs are a great choice on the Camino from my experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm sure your rainsuit is robust and top quality at that weight and maybe that is a good enough reason to keep and bring it. On the other hand, 3 lbs is ALOT and having it take up a third of the room in your pack are both pretty big negatives. If it happens to rain a great deal you'd probably appreciate it, but if you get very little rain, you will have regrets. Yes, Frogg Toggs are a great choice on the Camino from my experience.

Not a third of the entire pack. A third of that bottom section with the separate zipper?? :) But still. A good 3 lbs now seems like a lot to me.

I'm thinking the Costco jacket and frogg togg bottoms. I may encounter snow. So this is my snow layer over wool base layer and hiking pants, as well as my high winds/rain layer.

https://www.rei.com/product/892194/...L-_-133411-_-161243-_-NA&avad=161243_ddc16aa3

If it turns out to be heavy, this one is 9.4 oz and is on clearance at REI online. I'm just debating over the whole shoulder straps thing. I have a pack cover. Is it really a big deal if my pack straps get wet as long as my jacket is waterproof and my pack cover is as well?
The pack straps getting wet isn't a big deal. Not even an issue.
Keeping your torso and head dry and warm is a big deal.
Keeping the stuff in your pack dry is a big deal. I'm a big proponent of everything in the pack in a waterproof bag as well as a waterproof cover on the pack.
If you were walking the Camino in late June through September it wouldn't be such a big deal because of the warmer weather and a lot less rain that time of year.

Well that is good to know, about the shoulder straps. Thank you. The Altus poncho seems to have condensation issues from what I have read, and I cannot stand feeling like I am wearing a trash bag.

And yeah, I'm working up a system now to make sure everything stays dry, after getting advice here earlier today. Trash compactor bag (REI article recommended this too!), freezer ziplocks plus my dry bags.

Well that is good to know, about the shoulder straps. Thank you. The Altus poncho seems to have condensation issues from what I have read, and I cannot stand feeling like I am wearing a trash bag.

And yeah, I'm working up a system now to make sure everything stays dry, after getting advice here earlier today. Trash compactor bag (REI article recommended this too!), freezer ziplocks plus my dry bags.
and of course there's a fair chance you won't even be rained on at all...:D
twice I walked from SJPdP all the way to SDC without a single day of rain :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think it is unlikely in March. :) But I need all of this to double as a snow suit too, so the chances are high I'll hit one or the other. lol

Rain skirt?

An alternative to rain pants! Google "DIY rain kilt" and you'll find lots of directions for making a cheap ultralight one. Here's a link for a Tyvek kilt.

https://www.rei.com/product/892194/...L-_-133411-_-161243-_-NA&avad=161243_ddc16aa3

If it turns out to be heavy, this one is 9.4 oz and is on clearance at REI online. I'm just debating over the whole shoulder straps thing. I have a pack cover. Is it really a big deal if my pack straps get wet as long as my jacket is waterproof and my pack cover is as well?

I don't like it. It bugs me. And water adds weight. Not a huge deal, I'm sure, or there wouldn't be as many jacket/packcover hikers as there are. But that's one reason I'm not one of them.

I'm not sure that any jacket is condensation-free. You did a long hike in the rain in your REI jacket, do I remember correctly? It didn't make you sweat?
I've never met a rain jacket that didn't make me sweat and feel clammy and claustrophobic. But that's my issue. (I have a few. :)) YMMV, as the kids say.

Anyway, it's kinda apples & oranges, but just for reference regarding weight..... my whole sun/wind/rain "system" (I lump it together 'cause there is some multipurpose overlap) is about 30 oz. total. This includes a Packa, umbrella, wide brim sunhat, and hooded water-resistant wind jacket.

Rain skirt?

It's a nylon skirt made for wearing over pants or whatever. Totally waterproof and nowhere near as hot as pants. But no..stop it. You're getting distracted. This is how last night's thread started if I recall :)

But if you must know more about my skirt you can check it out here.http://www.wandergoods.com/ Other ladies where I live have worn it on their Camino and liked it. But don't run off and buy one! I'll be accused of making you buy things that other people don't think you should have ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not a third of the entire pack. A third of that bottom section with the separate zipper?? :) But still. A good 3 lbs now seems like a lot to me.

I'm thinking the Costco jacket and frogg togg bottoms. I may encounter snow. So this is my snow layer over wool base layer and hiking pants, as well as my high winds/rain layer.
That bottom section is a sleeping bag compartment. But it can be used for anything, obviously. I keep my rain jacket in the zippered pocket of my pack brain. Easier for me to access than the bottom zipper. I know other people who use that compartment for their bivy sack or light tent. Some even for wet sandals.

Whoa, lets back up a bit. The last thing to take in the spring is cheap rain gear that is not proven to keep you dry. Granted you can always hole up for a day or two, but I walked for a number of days consecutive that it rained hard & the mud got very deep. I also have a friend in 2013 had weeks of spring rain on the Camino. My best thought is whatever you take test it if possible. You can always buy a poncho in SJPDP or Pamplona but it will be more expensive. You may get lucky & as Mark Lee explained have 1 or 2 days where a garbage liner would get you by, but in March the cold wet wind will be an issue. Google Event fabric then try finding some on sale at Sierra trading post. The Rei newer version is not as good (2 layers 3 is what you want) Event really breaths so you don't get soaked with sweat.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I need all of this to double as a snow suit too
I think you are complicating things. :rolleyes: You need some decent rain gear - covering top and bottom. If it happens to fall as snow (not too likely) you will wear the same thing. It will not be 20 below zero, so wearing your hiking pants plus rain pants will likely be enough. You probably won't need to put on your base layer (aka pajamas). If there is a major blizzard, you might just need to take a day off. Make your best guess at a halfway decent fairly lightweight rain jacket and pants. Then you will go to Spain and get wet. Or not get wet! :p

Rain gear is the last thing you want to store next to your sleeping bag , getting it out in wet weather exposes your precious sleeping bag to the elements . Storing it later , perhaps while wet will only risk the same. Try to keep the two separate .
Your preference for larger fitting Mens' jackets is sound , longer sleeves keep hands dry and warm , the longer length protects your thighs from exposure . Wet thigh muscles can quickly fatigue and exhaust you . Your lower legs are not so critical , in moderate wet weather I wear shorts , legs dry faster than pants sodden from sweat while enclosed in a ' plastic membrane' . The open bottom of a long rain jacket pumps air upwards while walking , it ventilates your body and removes condensation . Gortex , Permatex or not just about every rain jacket can get wetter inside than out when you really exert yourself .

The pack straps getting wet isn't a big deal. Keeping the stuff in your pack dry is a big deal. I'm a big proponent of everything in the pack in a waterproof bag as well as a waterproof cover on the pack.
My thoughts exactly!

Rain gear is the last thing you want to store next to your sleeping bag , getting it out in wet weather exposes your precious sleeping bag to the elements . Storing it later , perhaps while wet will only risk the same. Try to keep the two separate .
Your preference for larger fitting Mens' jackets is sound , longer sleeves keep hands dry and warm , the longer length protects your thighs from exposure . Wet thigh muscles can quickly fatigue and exhaust you . Your lower legs are not so critical , in moderate wet weather I wear shorts , legs dry faster than pants sodden from sweat while enclosed in a ' plastic membrane' . The open bottom of a long rain jacket pumps air upwards while walking , it ventilates your body and removes condensation . Gortex , Permatex or not just about every rain jacket can get wetter inside than out when you really exert yourself .

This! Makes total sense. I have only packed my pack for weighing it and practicing...it never even occurred to me. I'm going to have to rethink where I put stuff. Thansk!

Whoa, lets back up a bit. The last thing to take in the spring is cheap rain gear that is not proven to keep you dry. Granted you can always hole up for a day or two, but I walked for a number of days consecutive that it rained hard & the mud got very deep. I also have a friend in 2013 had weeks of spring rain on the Camino. My best thought is whatever you take test it if possible.
I test my rain gear in the shower at home if there is no rain in the forecast.

You did a long hike in the rain in your REI jacket, do I remember correctly? It didn't make you sweat?
I've never met a rain jacket that didn't make me sweat and feel clammy and claustrophobic. But that's my issue. (I have a few. :)) YMMV, as the kids say.

Anyway, it's kinda apples & oranges, but just for reference regarding weight..... my whole sun/wind/rain "system" (I lump it together 'cause there is some multipurpose overlap) is about 30 oz. total. This includes a Packa, umbrella, wide brim sunhat, and hooded water-resistant wind jacket.

Kilt is interesting. Thanks.

I did do a really long hike but it was really cold too. That point where the rain could almost be snow? I had several layers underneath the jacket and pants. And it was before I started hiking with my pack so no, I didn't notice a lot of condensation on the inside.

30 oz...thanks! That helps. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's a nylon skirt made for wearing over pants or whatever. Totally waterproof and nowhere near as hot as pants. But no..stop it. You're getting distracted. This is how last night's thread started if I recall :)

But if you must know more about my skirt you can check it out here.http://www.wandergoods.com/ Other ladies where I live have worn it on their Camino and liked it. But don't run off and buy one! I'll be accused of making you buy things that other people don't think you should have ;)

hahahahahahah! Nope. No danger of that. Not my thing. In the rain I am much happier in pants. :)

This! Makes total sense. I have only packed my pack for weighing it and practicing...it never even occurred to me. I'm going to have to rethink where I put stuff. Thansk!
I agree with Charles, but remember, your sleeping bag needs to be kept in its own waterproof bag anyway, be it a dry sack or ziplock bag.

Yeah I am headed out today to return my REI rain gear and I'm stopping at the store for freezer ziplocks and trash compactor bags. I think I'm just going to make sure everything is in an organized in plastic or dry bags. Then I can just do a quick sort through of all the packets when I need something.

I completely love REI for their policy. This is why I give them any business at all, ya know? And I've got no problems telling them they are just too heavy when they ask why.
=

We find it on REI, Gander Mtn., etc ... then shop Amazon for the same thing. We have Amazon Prime and we use that. Shopped properly you get FREE returns and no questions asked. We sent a backpack to REI at the cost of over $30.00 and that was the cheap rate for an odd sized package. Usually at a much, much cheaper price on Amazon.

I carried my Deuter pack on my last camino. I liked to use the sleeping bag compartment for clothes, since that part of the pack is like a mini-panel loading section. It was convenient to open it up and find the clothes I wanted just like I would at home in that pile of laundry that I never bothered to hang up. :D (I don't like clothes in a stuff stack, 'cause I always feel like I'm rooting around for that one small thing at the bottom of a big purse that I can't see and can't quite feel out.)

But that bottom section is easy to line with a simple kitchen garbage bag, opening straight out. Then just press the air out, twist a couple times, and tuck the top under. Your drybag/ziplock with your sleeping bag would probably fit in there too.

Do you have a shovel pocket on that size Deuter? (the large open outside front mesh pocket) That a good place to keep your rain gear.

I carried my Deuter pack on my last camino. I liked to use the sleeping bag compartment for clothes, since that part of the pack is like a mini-panel loading section. It was convenient to open it up and find the clothes I wanted just like I would at home in that pile of laundry that I never bothered to hang up. :D (I don't like clothes in a stuff stack, 'cause I always feel like I'm rooting around for that one small thing at the bottom of a big purse that I can't see and can't quite feel out.)

But that bottom section is easy to line with a simple kitchen garbage bag, opening straight out. Then just press the air out, twist a couple times, and tuck the top under. Your drybag/ziplock with your sleeping bag would probably fit in there too.

Do you have a shovel pocket on that size Deuter? (the large open outside front mesh pocket) That a good place to keep your rain gear.

Is it that large triangular open pocket that has a strap to keep it closed?

You can see it in this picture (this is my pack)

https://www.rei.com/product/880683/...NynSmZipihaqT9jwphZLJZfh1ojhy5G-_waAs638P8HAQ

=

We find it on REI, Gander Mtn., etc ... then shop Amazon for the same thing. We have Amazon Prime and we use that. Shopped properly you get FREE returns and no questions asked. We sent a backpack to REI at the cost of over $30.00 and that was the cheap rate for an odd sized package. Usually at a much, much cheaper price on Amazon.

Yeah I have done this as well. If I am going to test it with hard use I get it from REI. If I'm not worried about that, I look at REI first and then buy on Amazon. lol

https://www.rei.com/product/880683/...NynSmZipihaqT9jwphZLJZfh1ojhy5G-_waAs638P8HAQ

Yes, that's it. Its's stretchy and mesh. It's a typical place to stuff things you want easy access to that don't matter if they get a little wet...... or things that are a little wet that you don't want to stuff into your pack next to dry stuff. In other words, your rain gear.

Brilliant. That's where I'll keep rain gear then! Yes, another "duh" moment for the girl who has never back packed before. lolol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Yeah I have done this as well. If I am going to test it with hard use I get it from REI. If I'm not worried about that, I look at REI first and then buy on Amazon. lol

I order stuff mostly online from REI, since it is so dangerous (for me) to go the store and start browsing. :D

If you have a store in your town though, you can order online, but return stuff you ordered to the store. No shipping costs. I try and buy most stuff from REI (unless there is something they don't have or it is significantly cheaper or on sale elsewhere) since you get a dividend back each year.

I'd get something lighter. I got my rain coat and pants at REI as well. Mine weighed a total of 1 pound 14 ounces. The pants were 13 ounces. I'd like to see if I can find something lighter. In retrosoect, the pants were heavier than I needed. The coat was s good weight, although I wasn't pleased with its waterproofing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I order stuff mostly online from REI, since it is so dangerous (for me) to go the store and start browsing. :D

If you have a store in your town though, you can order online, but return stuff you ordered to the store. No shipping costs. I try and buy most stuff from REI (unless there is something they don't have or it is significantly cheaper or on sale elsewhere) since you get a dividend back each year.

The closest REI is about 400 miles from us ...lol I wish we had one even at a 100 miles, I would go there.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan to me. And you mentioned about keeping your sleeping bag in your recycled diaper dry bag. Your sleeping bag is the one piece of gear that you want to keep dry under any circumstance. Well, and your electronics and paper documents.

Yes. It's the stretchy pocket with the clip. Called a "shovel" pocket, or "stuff pocket" or any number of other names. I agree, it's where I keep my raingear. both pants and jacket. If you needed even more room, you can get some stretchy elastic cord and weave a "shoelace" pattern through various attachment points on the front of your pack, over that pocket, so you could even stuff things under that elastic web. But you might want to tie or clip things you carry in that web onto your pack itself, instead of only secured by the tension of the elastic, just to make sure you don't lose them along the way.
Here is a photo of a pack with an elastic "web":
http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remain the Altus fan. I keep it in boots pack where the pack cover normally lives. If it starts to rain I can unzip and take it out without taking off my Deuter Groeden 30 ltr pack. I then flick the Altus over myself and pack. If rain is light I tie up the neck and leave it draped, arms out. Same thing after rain stops and it needs to dry.
If rain heavy I put arms in, but take them out occasionally to reduce condensation. The lite Altus rain coat weighs so little. I can't bring myself to invest in heavier less convenient gear. Don't care about bottom of legs getting wet. I wear thin socks with thicker ankle edges which stop rain running into boots.
Only drawback the Altus is not stylish for walking around town in the evenings.

You are going to Galicia. It rains. That's why it's green. Trust me. It will rain. The only place i know where the tourist brochures have pictures of people walking around with open umbrellas.
Just take something that will keep you sort of dry. Leave something else out if the rain gear is heavy.

Rain gear is the last thing you want to store next to your sleeping bag , getting it out in wet weather exposes your precious sleeping bag to the elements . Storing it later , perhaps while wet will only risk the same. Try to keep the two separate.

Yep. Take it from one who grew up in an area that is SO rainy that I've got webs between my toes.... ;)

€46,-
Thank you for all your comments. Two questions to anyone who wants to weigh in...hahaha. 1) I'm arriving in SJPP May22, and walking for 2 weeks. Is it likely to be rainy (traditionally, that is)? 2) Frogg Toggs look good and ultralight and have had nice reviews. Comes as a set of jacket and pants. $20.00 Do I even need rain pants? Why not just the top rain jacket from Frogg Toggs, or a lightweight poncho only?

I like the shower test idea. Funny, but practical.

Jackpot! Marmot precip on sale. Columbia rain pants. One is 11 oz and the other is 12 oz. and my pack cover is 3 ounces. Oh. And my refund was $181 for the original set and these two were $125 together.

Woot! :)

I did look at the Costco jacket. In a warmer season I'm sure it would be great. But it made me a little nervous, just how lightweight it was, given I need something to double as snow gear.

Jackpot! Marmot precip on sale. Columbia rain pants. One is 11 oz and the other is 12 oz. and my pack cover is 3 ounces. Oh. And my refund was $181 for the original set and these two were $125 together.

Woot! :)

I did look at the Costco jacket. In a warmer season I'm sure it would be great. But it made me a little nervous, just how lightweight it was, given I need something to double as snow gear.
Way to go! Every shaved ounce will pay off in increased comfort. I took a Precip jacket on the CP last year. Worked like a champion and remains my go to rain jacket around town too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you are complicating things. :rolleyes: You need some decent rain gear - covering top and bottom. If it happens to fall as snow (not too likely) you will wear the same thing. It will not be 20 below zero, so wearing your hiking pants plus rain pants will likely be enough. You probably won't need to put on your base layer (aka pajamas). If there is a major blizzard, you might just need to take a day off. Make your best guess at a halfway decent fairly lightweight rain jacket and pants. Then you will go to Spain and get wet. Or not get wet! :p
Currently packing for 2 April start. You've wiped out a whole swathe of my fears in a couple of sentences. Thank you.

I think one of the fundamental advantages of my Altus, something those who have not used them do not realise, is that I can leave the front partly or fully zipped up, or even completely open, to allow air flow. So it is not really like being inside a plastic bag. Even better, I can pull it on and off without disturbing my pack and leave it hanging off the back of the pack, ready to be pulled on instantly, as needed.
It is far from perfect, but after years of trying various systems, it seems the best so far. Certainly, for me, much more comfortable than a jacket and rain pants that require major effort to take on and off.
I looked at the Vaude raincoat/poncho which has the advantage of a "breathable" fabric, but it does not have the front opening of the Altus and cannot be easily pulled on and off.

I'm already planning to come back to the Camino with the hubs and do the whole thing. I'll go when the weather is nicer. And then I would want an Altus I think. It's the pics of O Cebriero snowing and windy with 4-6 inches on the ground that lead me to pants and a jacket. I saw some guy's video the other day, a couple of years ago. Exactly same day I'm starting out. And it was wicked snowy weather. I'm *really hoping that it won't be that bad when I go.

Yes but if you are starting in SJPP I'd wait and get an Altus at the trekking shop opposite the pilgrim office. That's what I did and I never regretted it. I have been home 2 years now and I STILL love and use my Altus regularly

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

KISS .....for me that is a poncho....and last one bought at Decathlon is a keeper with thumbstraps for natural circulation while walking....also with nordic poles. It collaps into it's one pocket and hooked up to my breaststrap for easy on/off , also when walking. Reflective band for better security.

Lightweight microfiber pants lined with mesh is stil warm when wet and dries as fast as the rain stops....just wet in front though when using poncho ....

This choice of mine is flexible, cheap, weighs nothing and also serve as extra protection for top half of my rucksack.

Not everyone's choice maybe , but I've allways felt protected even in veeeery heavy rain last december.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Had over trousers for the rain in 2015. Nuisance is the polite word. Hard to get on harder to get off, never a rock bench or log to sit on while putting them on. Only my daughter had bought them for me as a birthday present, I would have dumped them. 2016 camino, I replaced them with light weight gaiters. Only needed them once but easier to put on and remove. By the way, I replaced my poncho and rain jacket with a much cheaper light weight rain jacket. It was perfect and I am using it regularly to stay dry in miserable Irish winter weather :)

We brought frog togs last year and the pants did not hold up well..tore after a few days of usage. I would not buy them again! We purchased a light weight waterproof jacket..which is heavier but we are going in March this year. The jacket by LLBean and has zipper air vents and it will will double as as the Main outer jacket when needed.

Jacket and pants are good for motorcycling. I use frogg toggs for that. On the Camino, where the trail is always very open, a light poncho makes sense for me. A durable one can weigh a pound or so but some light cheepies weigh next to nothing. They will also keep most of the wind out and provide a lot more ventilation than a jacket and pants. Ponchos are popular due to most peregrinos walking in warm to hot weather. Adjust your choice based on anticipated temperatures during use.

I mentioned my rain gear recently on another thread, but thought that I'd post about it here too.
It only works for those who have the time and inclination to do some sewing though. :)
I made a "parcho" from a kit from Quest Outfitters. I learned about it from a post on the forum by @Pong . It's similar to an Altus or a Packa, but the sleeves are much looser. The one that I made came in at 7.2 ounces. Since you make it yourself you can customize it to your pack size, length, etc. You can even choose from over a dozen colors! I'm going to make my friend who will walk the first part of my next Camino with me a purple one. :)

parcho.png

It only works for those who have the time and inclination to do some sewing though. :)

Yeah, or talent! C'mon, trecile, when are you gonna open up shop? :D

Very cool! So have you tested it in rain or under the shower yet? I assume it needs seam-sealing? Did you tape, or use something like Sil-net?

Yeah, or talent! C'mon, trecile, when are you gonna open up shop? :D

Very cool! So have you tested it in rain or under the shower yet? I assume it needs seam-sealing? Did you tape, or use something like Sil-net?
I used it last year on the Camino. I only experienced a couple of days of rain, and some drizzle. It worked well, I also fashioned it into a sort of pack cover a couple of times when it was warm, and wasn't raining much.
I did use a seam sealer on it. I don't remember what it was called though.
I also carried my Euroschrim hands free umbrella.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We were along Norte in May 2016. Had lightweight goretex Patagonia jacket with fancy hood and my wife a similar jacket from Marmot. Lots of venting zippers so you could keep on and not get sweaty.

We had only a little rain mostly and the gear worked well - also worked well in short intense downpour. Whatever gear you have it must be able to be worn for a whole day comfortably and be ready to go the next. Practice in training on a wet day.

My wife never wore her Marmot rain pants but I will bring them along for myself as an additional item next year as they worked so well in training in keeping me warm, dry and upbeat in a deluge.

If you are lucky your rain gear will never leave pack. If you need it - it's not the place to have saved space or a little weight.

Strongly endorse ziplocks for all gear, we also had lightweight dry sack we lined our packs with as well as rain cover. Being dry is very important

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, Eva, for starting this thread! I have been stressing over this subject. I will be walking in July and know I need to be prepared for rain , but that I probably won't run into too much. I really appreciate everyone's input, it has given me much food for thought. I've now ordered the Costco jacket ( should get it in a couple of days) and I bought the Columbia Switchback to compare the two. I think I've decided to make my own rain skirt and will be stopping by the fabric store today to investigate further. I feel like like the clouds have parted (yes, pun :) ) and I finally have some clarity on this issue!

Thank you, Eva, for starting this thread! I have been stressing over this subject. I will be walking in July and know I need to be prepared for rain , but that I probably won't run into too much. I really appreciate everyone's input, it has given me much food for thought. I've now ordered the Costco jacket ( should get it in a couple of days) and I bought the Columbia Switchback to compare the two. I think I've decided to make my own rain skirt and will be stopping by the fabric store today to investigate further. I feel like like the clouds have parted (yes, pun :) ) and I finally have some clarity on this issue!

What sort of skirt are you wearing? Is it quick dry? In July, keeping your bottoms dry is not important - unless it just personally squicks you out to wear a wet skirt.

What sort of skirt are you wearing? Is it quick dry? In July, keeping your bottoms dry is not important - unless it just personally squicks you out to wear a wet skirt.
I'll be wearing either my Athleta Trekkie shorts (last year's model) or a Purple Rain hiking skirt - both are quick dry. Hmm, is it going to bug me to walk and be wet... I need to think about that. But it sounds like it's not as big of a deal in July? I'm assuming that our clothes/legs/shoes will dry very quickly that time of year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll be wearing either my Athleta Trekkie shorts (last year's model) or a Purple Rain hiking skirt - both are quick dry. Hmm, is it going to bug me to walk and be wet... I need to think about that. But it sounds like it's not as big of a deal in July? I'm assuming that our clothes/legs/shoes will dry very quickly that time of year.

You never know how much it will rain, but you can be pretty confident in July in Spain that getting wet does not generally pose a danger as it might in a cold-weather camino. Everything I wear below my hips (south of the hem of my Packa raingear or umbrella) gets wet in the rain, then dries pretty quickly - skirt w/ boyshorts, low shoes, thin socks. All I really care about protecting when warm-weather hiking is my gear/pack.

So it doesn't bother me. It really just comes down to personal preference, rather than necessity.

You never know how much it will rain, but you can be pretty confident in July in Spain that getting wet does not generally pose a danger as it might in a cold-weather camino. Everything I wear below my hips (south of the hem of my Packa raingear or umbrella) gets wet in the rain, then dries pretty quickly - skirt w/ boyshorts, low shoes, thin socks. All I really care about protecting when warm-weather hiking is my gear/pack.

So it doesn't bother me. It really just comes down to personal preference, rather than necessity.
Thanks, fenix, it helps to know what others have done!

I was in Costco today, and they had this super light rain jacket for only $19.99 I don't know how much it weighs, but I'd guess well under a pound.

I bought one of these and have been using it on damp/rainy training days here in Seattle. So far it seems like a great jacket. It's what I'm bringing for my May/June camino, so I hope it does the trick :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.