• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Second time in SJPdP

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2022)
Del Norte (2022)
Today I arrived for the second time this year in SJPdP. Having walked from Rotterdam, Holland, to Vessem, Rocroi, Reims, Troyes, Nevers, I first came to this town on May 4th. On the 6th I walked away to Roncevalles to do the Camino Frances. After I reached Santiago, you cannot leave Galicia when you haven’t seen Finisterre and Muxia. So I walked to these nice places and returned to Santiago.
Having done that, I walked the Camino del Norte, backwards, and I was glad that I had the route on my telephone! Unfortunately I never met another pilgrim who walked in the same direction as I did. Last Tursday I left Irun for SJPdP and here I am.
Saturday I’ll start with the Via Turonensis to Bordeaux, Poitiers, Tours, Orleans and Paris. From there on, it will be a (relatively) rather short walk to reach home in Rotterdam. I expect to be there around half September, after being on the road since March 1st. I hope I then will look back at a very good time!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Jensink,
What a journey you are having! Glad to read that you have made it back to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Take care next week as you move north for here in France we are in the midst of a heat wave.
Stay safe and in the truest sense, Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Amazing journey. Stay safe and enjoy the rest of your "short" walk back home!

Blow me down! And here am I wondering if I should walk from Le Puy to SJPDP!! Take my hat off to you Jensink. Well done.

I sometimes think that being nomadic is the most natural thing and that on some level we know this, that genetically we haven’t evolved beyond this state, and this is why the Camino feels at times like being home, whereas home feels like… something that doesn’t quite fit. Anyway, enough philosophising… what an amazing experience you’re having! I love your way! Buen camino!

Today I arrived for the second time this year in SJPdP. Having walked from Rotterdam, Holland, to Vessem, Rocroi, Reims, Troyes, Nevers, I first came to this town on May 4th. On the 6th I walked away to Roncevalles to do the Camino Frances. After I reached Santiago, you cannot leave Galicia when you haven’t seen Finisterre and Muxia. So I walked to these nice places and returned to Santiago.
Having done that, I walked the Camino del Norte, backwards, and I was glad that I had the route on my telephone! Unfortunately I never met another pilgrim who walked in the same direction as I did. Last Tursday I left Irun for SJPdP and here I am.
Saturday I’ll start with the Via Turonensis to Bordeaux, Poitiers, Tours, Orleans and Paris. From there on, it will be a (relatively) rather short walk to reach home in Rotterdam. I expect to be there around half September, after being on the road since March 1st. I hope I then will look back at a very good time!
You are my hero! Keep on walking—great journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow!! Incredible!

When I walked the Norte I did not see anyone doing it in reverse. Surprisingly to me at least as there were so few pilgrim, when I walked the VIa de la Plata I passed 4 different pilgrims walking in reverse. Your pilgrimage is something to be admired and to me at least envied. Buen Camino mi amigo.

You are my hero! Keep on walking—great journey.
When I walked the Norte I did not see anyone doing it in reverse. Surprisingly to me at least as there were so few pilgrim, when I walked the VIa de la Plata I passed 4 different pilgrims walking in reverse. Your pilgrimage is something to be admired and to me at least envied. Buen Camino mi amigo.
Gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What an incredible journey you've had, did you manage to sleep in the Albergues on the backwards north route or private accommodation? I would like to walk the Aragonés backwards but fear it may be difficult to navigate. When I walked the francés in 2019 i met a pilgrim walking the other way just outside Palas de Rei i spoke to him and asked where he was going he said Rome, when I arrived in Fisterra some days later i was in a bar and saw this guy on the front page of the local newspaper, he's kinda like a celebrity peregrino walking caminos back to back, Peregrino por la paz as he is called. Have a great time on your journey home!!

Thanks for your reaction, Alison!
I’ll be frank with you: I’ve had it with albuerges. It is not my cup of tea anymore: 40 people in one room of which 36 are snoring, three showers and three toilets, no, that is bad for your health (lack of sleep and bedbugs, I caught them somewhere). I only sleep in albuerges when I can have a room for myself. If not: booking.com is my way to find a place to sleep and I am glad that I can afford the higher prices than those in the albuerges. Uptill now (I am in Dax, France) I haven’t had a problem finding a place, be it a hotel, pension, gite or chambre d’hotes. My only worry now are the fires around Bordeaux where I hope to be in a week or so.

How difficult is it walking in reverse? I am due in Santiago on August 2nd and want to keep going towards Bilbao? You said you had the route on your phone. Which app are you using please? Thank you!

Hi I am arriving in Santiago on August 2nd and want to keep walking to Bilbao. So in reverse. You said you used an app. Which one ease and any advice for me? Thank you so much.

I use the app from maps.me. For the route you can download that from many sides I guess, but I downloaded the file from the Dutch side www.santiago.nl. You have to be a member to download the file. If you can find the route on some other site, download the .gps file and converse it to a .kml file for that is what needed to put it on maps.me. To converse a .gps file to a .kml file, you can use the site www.gpx2kml.com.
Furthermore: keep your eyes on the road and watch out for people with a backpack. Do they come from the right? Then most probably you should go in that direction. But if you have the route on your phone, it doesn’t matter if you are walking backeards. The arrow on your screen will show you the way. Good luck and be prepared to walk a few kilometers more if you forget to take a turn. Just watch your phone reguarly.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, @Jensink, what a wonderful way to be retired!
May you have a fire-free walk through to Bordeaux and an easy amble home: Bon Chemin!

This spring I walked from Den Bosch to Givet and am toying with the decision of which way to continue, should I decide to do that - south to intersect the way via Cahors, or SE to go through Paris and onward. So I hope you can give a summary once you have digested the journey of your experience of the ways you took through France.

I use the app from maps.me. For the route you can download that from many sides I guess, but I downloaded the file from the Dutch side www.santiago.nl. You have to be a member to download the file. If you can find the route on some other site, download the .gps file and converse it to a .kml file for that is what needed to put it on maps.me. To converse a .gps file to a .kml file, you can use the site www.gpx2kml.com.
Furthermore: keep your eyes on the road and watch out for people with a backpack. Do they come from the right? Then most probably you should go in that direction. But if you have the route on your phone, it doesn’t matter if you are walking backeards. The arrow on your screen will show you the way. Good luck and be prepared to walk a few kilometers more if you forget to take a turn. Just watch your phone reguarly.
Buen Camino!
There is another site where you can download any route you like in .kml format. It is the Belgium site www.compostelagenootschap.be. This is a very good site, but, of course, in Dutch …

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back