• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Second week on the Camino May 2016

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
Well things are getting better and the anxiety is settling down I am in Najera now (past Logrona - got lost there but a camino angel came to the rescue and gave me directions on how to get through the city and to the other side and back on the Camino track! Very nice Spanish man who spoke English! I was so grateful) I walk alone in the day but have been hanging out in the evenings with the woman I met from Texas and it has been very nice) we went into the most amazing church in Navarette last night. So very beautiful. I have also ate some very good tapas!! The Spanish towns are amazing with all the culture and the history and the countryside is just beautiful. But I will say this has been a challenge of a journey thus far and I appreciate everybody on the forum and their support! Thank you so much for the encouragement and belief that I can do this !! I will try to get some pictures up this evening

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wonderful, Angie! Thank you for posting and letting us know where and how you are.
And of course it's not easy. That's one of the gifts of the Camino, actually. But this is possible!

Aren't Camino Angels the best? Without each other we'd be toast. We lift each other up...
So may you have camino angels and know the joy of being a Camino Angel to someone else today!

I got turned around in Logrono too, Angie! That was a long day, I remember. Are your challenges more physical, or more how you are feeling?

Glad you have days alone and company at night, that's a nice combination!

I'm now on the Camino Invierno and alone day and night! It's very beautiful, and I've adjusted to my new solo state. Plenty of kindly Spanish folk around too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Actually the physical has been hard but that doesn't bother me. It has been more the mental/emotional part of it that has been hard for me. Being in a strange place and trying to figure out my way around and ask for help when I need it. I don't mind walking alone at all in fact I prefer that and I don't mind being in the countryside. It's when I get into the towns that I get anxious and feel kind of lost. it's when I get into the towns that I get anxious and feel kind of lost. But it is getting better and it is getting easier. It has been good for me to push through these fears and come to understand that I am capable.
The lady I met a few days ago speaks good Spanish and we have been having a nice time in the evenings going into the churches and just walking around visiting and taking in the local culture. God has blessed me with meeting her as it is been very helpful and actually my anxiety level has dropped considerably and I am enjoying my Camino. God has blessed me with meeting her as it is been very helpful and actually my anxiety level has dropped considerably and I am enjoying my Camino. I am doing a lot of reflecting and meditative walking during the day. I brought my iPod full of music and have not listen to it once and don't miss it a bit. Staying in the Albergues took a bit of getting used to but it's really not too bad. I book a single room about every fourth day. I have met different people along the path and have been able to be of service to them in various ways which really makes me feel good and I feel like I've been able to give back a little bit. Well time for lights out and so I will update in about another week or so.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better about your Camino! It's just going to get better, I'm sure. I have encountered very special Camino Angels two different times in Logroño, and each one went well out of his way to make sure I safely got to where I needed to go. Have a wonderful time. I hope you plan to stay at the San Juan Bautista parochial albergue in Grañon for a special albergue experience!

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It sounds like you are doing very well. Remember: Week 1 is about understanding the Way, week 2 is about adjusting and getting comfortable: On week 3, you are into Zen mode and you just walk with your purpose, whatevever it may be. Use your time, enjoy the company of new friends: Some of them may become the best friends of your life from here on, because you are walking in a landscape of friendship and common interests. Put your past behind and only look forward.

I am happy for you.

Thanks for the update, that is wonderful news! I hope it continues to go well for you.

Buen Camino!

It sounds like you are doing very well. Remember: Week 1 is about understanding the Way, week 2 is about adjusting and getting comfortable: On week 3, you are into Zen mode and you just walk with your purpose, whatevever it may be. Use your time, enjoy the company of new friends: Some of them may become the best friends of your life from here on, because you are walking in a landscape of friendship and common interests. Put your past behind and only look forward.

I am happy for you.
Oh no! I'm only going for 2 weeks, which means I won't reach "Zen mode." :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like you are making good decisions and doing all the right things. I agree with Alexwalker, by the third week you are in walking mode, and will find your feet more in the cities. I'm in O Barco now, a city in Galicia, and I look like an alien with my poles, pack and poncho, but can be in my "walking bubble" much more comfortably than when I started six weeks ago. Keep us posted!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Angie:I just got back from my first Camino. I remember some of your early posts when you were first training. I didn't even think to post on the forum when I was there, if I had it might have been easier. I had very little anxiety about being alone,walking alone or just getting around. (I also was alone most of the time) But my first 2 weeks were very hard - yes, some of it was mental- somewhere I thought I was lead to believe once you make it over the Pyrennes, you've done the hardest and it is easy after that. I was not prepared for how physically hard it was day after day. I was also encouraged that after the 2nd or 3rd week you are in such good condition it is easier and you practically waltz into Santiago. I want to tell you that was not my experience. I trained for the Camino for seven months on city streets and mountain trails,ups and downs and all around, but it was as if I did not train at all. Every day was a physical challenge. Because I am a slow walker I found it very hard to get to the albergues in time to get laundry done and dried, shower, dinner let alone time to explore in the evenings. My mental challenge was accepting the reality of my limitations. Once I DID accept them, and quit comparing myself to the throngs of people that passed me by every day, I had a wonderful time. That was the lesson I had to learn. But . . . . It never got physically easy - I just did it, my way, my pace, my Camino. It was one of the best times of my life spiritually and emotionally. You are very wise to get a private room every 4th night. I took a couple days off in Leon and it changed my attitude and it was a piece of cake (mentally) after that. You have so many wonderful beautiful things to see ahead of you. Someone asked me what would I do different if I were to do it again. I didn't hesitate - I said take more time. I rushed through the first 14 or stages too quickly. My last week was so different. 2 friends from home came and finished the Camino with me from Sarria on. We stayed in pensions and walked only 6 -11 mi/day - how fun! I stopped and played more. I took hundreds of photos and I treasure every one of them. But mostly I treasure what I learned about myself, how to be a better person, and the people sent to me to help learn those lessons. Well enough about me - just wanted to share that it was hard for me but rewarding. Even the last day walking into Santiago - it was hard, step, step, step on hard concrete or stone. Anyhow that was my experience. Thanks for sharing yours.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Angie:I just got back from my first Camino. I remember some of your early posts when you were first training. I didn't even think to post on the forum when I was there, if I had it might have been easier. I had very little anxiety about being alone,walking alone or just getting around. (I also was alone most of the time) But my first 2 weeks were very hard - yes, some of it was mental- somewhere I thought I was lead to believe once you make it over the Pyrennes, you've done the hardest and it is easy after that. I was not prepared for how physically hard it was day after day. I was also encouraged that after the 2nd or 3rd week you are in such good condition it is easier and you practically waltz into Santiago. I want to tell you that was not my experience. I trained for the Camino for seven months on city streets and mountain trails,ups and downs and all around, but it was as if I did not train at all. Every day was a physical challenge. Because I am a slow walker I found it very hard to get to the albergues in time to get laundry done and dried, shower, dinner let alone time to explore in the evenings. My mental challenge was accepting the reality of my limitations. Once I DID accept them, and quit comparing myself to the throngs of people that passed me by every day, I had a wonderful time. That was the lesson I had to learn. But . . . . It never got physically easy - I just did it, my way, my pace, my Camino. It was one of the best times of my life spiritually and emotionally. You are very wise to get a private room every 4th night. I took a couple days off in Leon and it changed my attitude and it was a piece of cake (mentally) after that. You have so many wonderful beautiful things to see ahead of you. Someone asked me what would I do different if I were to do it again. I didn't hesitate - I said take more time. I rushed through the first 14 or stages too quickly. My last week was so different. 2 friends from home came and finished the Camino with me from Sarria on. We stayed in pensions and walked only 6 -11 mi/day - how fun! I stopped and played more. I took hundreds of photos and I treasure every one of them. But mostly I treasure what I learned about myself, how to be a better person, and the people sent to me to help learn those lessons. Well enough about me - just wanted to share that it was hard for me but rewarding. Even the last day walking into Santiago - it was hard, step, step, step on hard concrete or stone. Anyhow that was my experience. Thanks for sharing yours.
thanks Geri...for sharing your thoughts on how physically difficult it is - and it is...even the last 116km from Sarria - the bit I did..it is step by step..especially at 7am and when the path is a bit steep..before sitting down at a cafe for breakfast and a glass of that delicious fresh orange juice. Great that you had fun that last week and took your time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Geri, Angie, and all,
It is a physical challenge. I think that is what makes it part of a pilgrimage. I don't think a pilgrimage is supposed to be easy. Phil and I are hanging in there. I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot so 10-12 miles per day is about it for me. So far so good. Have met many wonderful people.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back