• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Securely Storing Valuables While Showering

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carry a very thin wallet (just the essentials) in my back pocket and an RFID blocker money belt (the kind you can wear under a shirt) where I keep my passport and extra cash. I bring those into the shower area and put them some place dry and safe but where I can see them. I carry extra Zip-loc bags (a 1-qt. freezer bag does the trick), so if I need to carry them some place wet, then I'm all set.

On more recent short treks where I've been more confident about the security of my backpack, I've dispensed with the money belt and stored the passport in my pack, but will likely use the trusty money belt on my next camino.

There may be a locker at the albergue to keep your things, but not usually. We use a regular drybag to put stuff in and take it into the shower with us. I usually keep my credential and passport in a plastic ziplock bag inside that. The drybag does allow you to clip or hang the bag on something or if you have to set it on the floor, there is less change of getting everything wet. Other people bring an S hook, but mine was always the wrong size...Sometimes there are places to hang things or set things, but usually not...it is also an issue with what to do with your dry clothes, towel, toiletries, etc. Albergue showers can be quite Spartan and small...not always, though. When you encounter one with hooks or a shelf, I always think it is really an upscale place...

Zip loc is a great idea. I just saw a suggestion to take a small mesh bag with a draw string that can hold a small towel and zip lock bags. Drawstring can be used to hang it from a door handle, lock, or whatever else might be available. Light weight as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I keep my passport/credential in a water-resistant/waterproof baggie (depending on circumstances) and inside my slim water resistant fannie pack that I wear at all times except in the shower. But - I do take it into the shower with me. Often there is a hook or pole to hang it on. If no hook, I just figure something out and usually there is a way to hang it or put it on a seat in the shower stall or something where I can see it at all times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There may be a locker at the albergue to keep your things, but not usually.
I can't even bring myself to leave valuables in the locked lockers. But I do use them for other belongings (unless it is a metal locker - I don't use it overnight because it is too loud to remove my gear from in the AM when leaving before others awake).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took a little rucksack with me on my latest Camino which folds into a tiny little bag and goes back inside my main bag during the day. It allowed me to take stuff to the shower, valuables etc, and also then go out and about in whatever town I'm in without needing to take the full bag. It's a very poor quality thing but did the job perfectly and weighed nothing!

I took a little rucksack with me on my latest Camino which folds into a tiny little bag and goes back inside my main bag during the day. It allowed me to take stuff to the shower, valuables etc, and also then go out and about in whatever town I'm in without needing to take the full bag. It's a very poor quality thing but did the job perfectly and weighed nothing!
We have a couple of those and they work great.

Before leaving home, you might consider making a shower stall document-bag-hanging "S" hook out of coat-hanger wire or similar and taking it with you. This will avoid the bother of making one on-the-spot. I have one I take on my travels.

The bends of the "S" need to be big enough to fit over the partition between shower stalls.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I use a dry bag with a Hero clip. Passport, wallet, phone goes into a baggie then put in bottom of the dry bag. I put my clean clothing and towel on top. Hang the bag with the Hero clip somewhere in the shower stall with you.

Nix on clear plastic bags as that allows everyone to see what is in the bag. Looking at Amazon, just as an example, consider an opaque dry bag around 1 to 1.5 liter that can hold all your valuables and maybe act as your purse. Dry bags clip on top and a caribiner clip can be used to clip the bag onto the shower head. And if your pack has an internal D ring, you can clip the bag to it inside so it takes an extra security step to remove it from the pack.

Always look to take items with multiple uses.

I use a dry bag with a Hero clip. Passport, wallet, phone goes into a baggie then put in bottom of the dry bag. I put my clean clothing and towel on top. Hang the bag with the Hero clip somewhere in the shower stall with you.
The Hero clip is the best. I literally just threw mine in my bag for a 3 day trip.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What exactly are you considering as ‘valuables’? Passport, cash, electronics…. But do people steal clothes, shoes, ponchos, etc….?

thinking about how to handle shower stuff... so where do you put you passport and ID and cash while in the shower?
Trecile posted a DIY for soap & shampoo etc. that is very creative - but as I have been advised to take all valuables with me everywhere- how do you handle cash , passport, ID, etc while showering?
I took a large shower suction hook and hung my valuables inside the shower with me in a waterproof bag along with my shower needs and change of clothes. It worked out perfectly.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
thinking about how to handle shower stuff... so where do you put you passport and ID and cash while in the shower?
Trecile posted a DIY for soap & shampoo etc. that is very creative - but as I have been advised to take all valuables with me everywhere- how do you handle cash , passport, ID, etc while showering?
I had a Pacsafe bum bag that I could padlock to the bed though I rarely bothered.

In my experience, there was no one method of hooks, suction, shelves, etc. that worked for every shower stall. At the end of the day, a plastic bag is your best friend. And even that can present problems that you will need to solve with ingenuity, desperation and resignation, on the spot.

What exactly are you considering as ‘valuables’? Passport, cash, electronics…. But do people steal clothes, shoes, ponchos, etc….?
I don't think people steal clothing, shoes etc - it is the valuables - the phones, cash, passport etc that you need to keep close to you. When I replied about putting dry clothes on top of my valuables in the dry bag - it is just to keep my clean clothing I am going to change into dry while I shower. Most of the shower stalls are small, very humid in the shower area and all the spare surface area is usually very wet - no dry areas to set your things.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a dry bag to store my toiletries, my change of clothes and my small bag with valuables. As it has a clip to close, I can use that to hang it somewhere.

Hero Clips are Great! Very versatile to your every need of a S hook or carabiner style. Www.myheroclip.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
had my phone and my wallet in my trouser which i took into the shower stall with me. Usually there is a hook or something. No big deal.
I guess passport and credential is nothing somebody would be interested in taking.
But asides from the credential, passports, ID, most modern phones and Euro bills... all things where water doesnt do much or any damage.
Don't worry to much about it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another option is this Nite Ize bendable S hook.

Screenshot 2023-04-26 123310.png

Attachments

• 1682537637529.png
    1682537637529.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 3
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can’t improve on “brillant”. Thank you again, Trecile! My tribe is appreciating grandma’s contributions to their equipment thanks to grandma’s wanderings on this forum….

Wear a money belt where you can keep your cash etc on yo at all times. when you go to shower hang it on a hook with your towel. No problem.

While searching for Hero clip, found this from REI seems to be a very good solution, suppose to hold up to 75lb.
095a582d-aeba-41ed-9bcb-d8056e658321-jpeg.145696

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While searching for Hero clip, found this from REI seems to be a very good solution, suppose to hold up to 75lb.
I've seen that one, and the only problem with it is that it doesn't swivel, so it might be hard to use if hooking over a shower door.

Another option is this Nite Ize bendable S hook.

View attachment 145693

Yes, those are the ones at my outdoor store, no hero clips. Quite light. Thinking about buying one before I leave in a couple weeks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took two ziplock sandwich bags and zipped my money and passport into one, then put it, upside down into the other. Then zipped the out bag, and cut a small slit into the outer flap of the outer bag, and inverted a large thick elastic through it, turning it into something I could wear as a bracelet in the shower. Just have to be careful not to smack your self in the face while washing your hair.

I took two ziplock sandwich bags and zipped my money and passport into one, then put it, upside down into the other. Then zipped the out bag, and cut a small slit into the outer flap of the outer bag, and inverted a large thick elastic through it, turning it into something I could wear as a bracelet in the shower. Just have to be careful not to smack your self in the face while washing your hair.
What? Why would you have it attached to you in the shower? There is normally enough space away from the spray of the shower to put it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What? Why would you have it attached to you in the shower? There is normally enough space away from the spray of the shower to put it.
I only had to use it in the few showers where there was no hook, or the only place to hang my towel was outside the shower where I couldn’t keep my eyes on it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This will be my first camino in May and was planning to lock valuables (to include camera and extra lens) in my pack with a small combination lock. Will that work? Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A valuable is anything that would devastate you if it got stolen - passport, money, credential, camera with un-uploaded photos, tablet, etc.

I reduced the number of valuables I took with me in the first place. Don't take your signed first edition of Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls no matter how great it would be to read along the way.

I carried 2 small waterproof bags to bring into the shower.

I took two of those rubber covered flexible metal wires that you can find in some camping stores/hardware departments. I was able to twist them into hooks to go over a shower curtain rod, a hook in the shower, or a shower door as needed. Sometimes your shower won't even have a hook for a towel!

I also brought a strong suction cup hook to use in the shower to hang stuff up on my first Camino. I forgot it on my second and third. I hope I remember for the next time.

You are wise to think about security now and not when it is too late. That said, I never had anything taken from me in all my Caminos.

I think I just jinxed myself.

What if they steal the whole pack? Keep any thing of value on your person unless you are walking with a known partner who can watch your stuff.

Edit: in my opinion a lock on something signals value to a would be thief.
Also just because you have been walking and talking with someone for a day or two that does not mean they are trustworthy. There are cases where people do pose as pilgrims to gain your trust and then clean you out...sad and uncommon, but people on the forum here have reported these instances. When I say a known partner, I mean someone you came to the Camino with from home and not someone you met. After a while, you may feel you can trust someone you have met while walking, but just be aware that this kind of scam of befriending you and taking your stuff does happen, too.

Also just because you have been walking and talking with someone for a day or two that does not mean they are trustworthy. There are cases where people do pose as pilgrims to gain your trust and then clean you out...sad and uncommon, but people on the forum here have reported these instances. When I say a known partner, I mean someone you came to the Camino with from home and not someone you met. After a while, you may feel you can trust someone you have met while walking, but just be aware that this kind of scam of befriending you and taking your stuff does happen, too.
Maybe best to take a picture of said person you are going to leave your valuables with and send that picture to a person of trust at home.

So at least the police later has a face to be looking for 😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
JWill- that makes me very sad - some who befriends you and then takes advantage - I would be praying for the soul of such a person every minute of everyday

JWill- that makes me very sad - some who befriends you and then takes advantage - I would be praying for the soul of such a person every minute of everyday
Yes, it is sad, but there are scam artists who prey on pilgrims just as there are also pickpockets in larger cities. As I said it is not common, but it does happen from time to time. Just take precautions. I don't worry if someone will take my dirty socks and I try not to take new fabulous looking gear that will signal that I have anything worth stealing (cameras, tech equipment, tablets, expensive clothes, etc.). The Camino has taught me that mostly it is just stuff and you can get more to replace it if needed, but the few valuable things I have I keep with me. If you are staying in a hotel or private rooms this will be less of a concern, but it pays still to use common sense...

I have read books written years ago referring historical records about people pretending to be pilgrims, staying at the albergues and left early with valuables or rob people en route. Nothing is new under the sun.

My first camino in 2013 on French route, a young Korean man lost 700 euros, the entire budget for the rest of his trip at a convent ran albergue, mid way to Santiago, to be specific, on the upper bunk in an early afternoon, when I just arrived. While some pilgrims decided to go moon walking and quit the room.

Who would know he had money there? It was shocking and sad to all of us that day. We suspected that person was among the Moon walkers. We would never know. Afterwards I only take enough cash to cover 2-3 days.

When I did the Camino, I was with my partner, so we took turns watching each other’s valuables, but I’ve heard some people bring an ‘S’ hook, that they could attach a dry sack or bum bag to the shower door or the rod with and that seemed to work out really well for them. Some stalls have no hooks and are small so you definitely need something.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I left everything in my rucksack on my bed. Risky I know but when you see 20 top of the range mobile phones and all sorts plugged into the one charging point you'd relax and think there's better things to steal than my rucksack.

I'd say most rucksacks have a hidden zip pouch somewhere. All mine had one anyway. So they'd have to rob the whole think. Then I'd be goosed altogether.

I put my towel, clean clothes and all my valuables in my ultralight backpack and bring it all into the shower with me. If there are hooks, I hang the straps of the pack over them. If not, I use my S-hook. Alternately, as someone else said, a dry-bag (Sea to Summit for ultra light) works. I also use a dry-bag as a wash basin when I wash my clothes.

€149,-
Re: lockers

Do they come with a lock, or do you carry one?
I’m glad you asked this question. During my 42 days on the Frances back in 2013, I don’t recall seeing anything like a locker; mind you, I wasn’t looking for any. I even have to wonder how commonplace they are now.

I’m glad you asked this question. During my 42 days on the Frances back in 2013, I don’t recall seeing anything like a locker; mind you, I wasn’t looking for any. I even have to wonder how commonplace they are now.
The first locker that I encountered was in the Roncesvalles albergue. You put a euro coin in a slot to lick it and release the key, and the euro is returned when you replace the key and unlock it.

Yes, you must keep your documents and your valuables with you at all times. I have all of that important stuff in a small fanny pack, and it goes everywhere with me, including into the bathroom or the shower stall. Your passport and your Pilgrims passport should absolutely be in a Ziploc, and then in some thing, and with you at all times. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Perhaps stupid.....but I just hid stuff somewhere....lol.....under pillow, in the bedding etc. I know it only takes a second to get ripped off, but I never did. I will try to be more careful this year after reading store about a pilgrim getting his pack stolen outside a rest stop....and thinking of the horror of that happening (probably wasn't a pilgrim who took it). This year I bought 4 "tags". I will attach one to my pack, one securely hidden inside the pack, one in my wallet, and one secured inside the bag that holds my passport, cards and money. And I'll try not to be lazy and start taking some stuff to the shower!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you must keep your documents and your valuables with you at all times. I have all of that important stuff in a small fanny pack, and it goes everywhere with me, including into the bathroom or the shower stall. Your passport and your Pilgrims passport should absolutely be in a Ziploc, and then in some thing, and with you at all times. Buen Camino!
I had a very good body belt which contained my valuables (passport, credit cards etc) . When showering I put it in a plastic ziplock bag and kept it in sight! Bom/ Buen Camino.
Perhaps stupid.....but I just hid stuff somewhere....lol.....under pillow, in the bedding etc. I know it only takes a second to get ripped off, but I never did. I will try to be more careful this year after reading store about a pilgrim getting his pack stolen outside a rest stop....and thinking of the horror of that happening (probably wasn't a pilgrim who took it). This year I bought 4 "tags". I will attach one to my pack, one securely hidden inside the pack, one in my wallet, and one secured inside the bag that holds my passport, cards and money. And I'll try not to be lazy and start taking some stuff to the shower!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I take a dry sac and put my valuables in this with my shower stuff so it is with me in the shower.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like several people mentioned about the idea of dry sac, because you put your clothes in while walking, can also protect them from the rain, when shower put valuables in and you can hang it with a strong gear tie, or Heloclip, etc. I am going to take those cheap ones. I got one set has 3 in different size, very light weight. One for ultra light sleeping bag, one for valuables/shower/socks, one for clothing/shopping. I have not figured out how to use my dry sac for washing, as an earlier post shared. The opening is too narrow to put two hands in. They are narrow and long, can roll up easily with a clipped closure.

I like several people mentioned about the idea of dry sac, because you put your clothes in while walking, can also protect them from the rain, when shower put valuables in and you can hang it with a strong gear tie, or Heloclip, etc. I am going to take those cheap ones. I got one set has 3 in different size, very light weight. One for ultra light sleeping bag, one for valuables/shower/socks, one for clothing/shopping. I have not figured out how to use my dry sac for washing, as an earlier post shared. The opening is too narrow to put two hands in. They are narrow and long, can roll up easily with a clipped closure.
I think instead of putting your hand it, you just put some clothes, soap, and water in; let it soak a little and then agitate it. Drain, then rinse. I have tried it, but it always turned into a big mess for me, so I just wash in a plastic tub or sink provided or use a machine if available.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.