• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Security at Santiago airport

Travellingman

Well, don't even think about trying to sneak walking poles through as carry on baggage.
My rucsac was pulled after going through the scanner, and I had to unpack it all. Reason: would you believe, my 18cm long pieces of wood making up the frame for the cross stitch embroidery I do in the evenings after walking (Yep, sad, isn't it?:() Much to the amusement of both fellow travellers and security staff)
But, good to see, at least they are taking security seriously.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I mock not. I embroidered the scallop shell motive that elevates my rucksack to mochilla de Peregrino. The padded seat on which I sit to type this is cross-stitched in a Spanish theme reminiscent (blush) of a Miro tapestry seen in Barcelona. The "Welsh" cushion incorporates wool plucked from a barbed-wire fence in the Black Hills of Powys.

Respect amigo, I offer nothing but respect. To carry frame, screen and wools - go man, go.

Well, don't even think about trying to sneak walking poles through as carry on baggage.[...]
But, good to see, at least they are taking security seriously.
Walking poles are not allowed with carry-on luggage. But umbrellas are, and so are walking aids for elderly people. Yet a courtesy exception sometimes may depend upon the security supervisor and the destination of the flight.:(

I had to walk with a cane for a few years and never had a problem getting them on a flight. I wouldn't even try to get my walking poles on a flight now. They will just have to go on as checked luggage for me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had to walk with a cane for a few years and never had a problem getting them on a flight. I wouldn't even try to get my walking poles on a flight now. They will just have to go on as checked luggage for me.

I have seen security at Santiago in action enough to know that I have to check my poles for my return trip. But I continue to carry them on through security in the US over and over (Las Vegas being one of those airports, Mike) with no problems, and in many cities.

Though I have less experience in Spain, I have arrived in Madrid on at least five or six occasions (most recently June 2014) with my hiking sticks as carry-on and have gone through security to make a transfer to my domestic Spanish flight. Again, no problem. I always have a light fabric duffel bag in case I meet a security official with a different idea and I needed to check them, but so far so good.

Buen camino, Laurie

I have seen security at Santiago in action enough to know that I have to check my poles for my return trip. But I continue to carry them on through security in the US over and over (Las Vegas being one of those airports, Mike) with no problems, and in many cities.

Though I have less experience in Spain, I have arrived in Madrid on at least five or six occasions (most recently June 2014) with my hiking sticks as carry-on and have gone through security to make a transfer to my domestic Spanish flight. Again, no problem. I always have a light fabric duffel bag in case I meet a security official with a different idea and I needed to check them, but so far so good.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very helpful. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I flew with my (nonmetal) pacer poles dismantled in a lightweight sac inside my backpack which I carried on as cabin baggage. NZ domestic flights were fine, Singapore. Vallododilid and Barcelona were fine. While I was on camino I also bought a small swiss army knife which I suspected I would need to jettison at the amnesty bins. I approached SdeC airport with trepidation - and running a little later than planned. So, the very helpful security gate lady asked me if I had any poles in my mochila and told me that I could have them checked in free of charge. I asked the lady at the check in counter why SdeC doesn't permit poles in the cabin (even folded up inside the backpack). She reckoned that the sheer volume of numbers of pilgrims made for very cluttered plane cabin lockers and so we checked the poles through free (and tucked the pocket knife in with the poles) and then raced back to queue through security again. This time the xray machine found a set of sword cake stencils which looked like they were plastic - but were actually metal. Given the prospect of racing back to check in, and paying this time, I let them destroy the little swords.
So, another time I'd pack the poles and pocketknife beforehand and check them in from the start at SdeC.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I flew with my (nonmetal) pacer poles dismantled in a lightweight sac inside my backpack which I carried on as cabin baggage. NZ domestic flights were fine, Singapore. Vallododilid and Barcelona were fine. While I was on camino I also bought a small swiss army knife which I suspected I would need to jettison at the amnesty bins. I approached SdeC airport with trepidation - and running a little later than planned. So, the very helpful security gate lady asked me if I had any poles in my mochila and told me that I could have them checked in free of charge. I asked the lady at the check in counter why SdeC doesn't permit poles in the cabin (even folded up inside the backpack). She reckoned that the sheer volume of numbers of pilgrims made for very cluttered plane cabin lockers and so we checked the poles through free (and tucked the pocket knife in with the poles) and then raced back to queue through security again. This time the xray machine found a set of sword cake stencils which looked like they were plastic - but were actually metal. Given the prospect of racing back to check in, and paying this time, I let them destroy the little swords.
So, another time I'd pack the poles and pocketknife beforehand and check them in from the start at SdeC.

Valladolid.... ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back