• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Security crackdown on taking walking poles with cabin backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

happymarkos

HappyMark
Time of past OR future Camino
2023. Finish the VDLP. Zamora to Santiago.
Recently when passing through security at Stansted airport in the UK the way to Porto to walk the Portuguese coastal route we were told we could not take our walking poles onto the aircraft with our backpacks. This was a great surprise as we have travelled in many parts of the world including the EU with our walking poles either on the outside or inside the backpacks.

So back through security and had to pay nearly $50 to have them checked in.

On the way back from Santiago we put them inside the backpacks but were again stopped once the backpacks went through the scanner, In this instance we had to go back and check them in but there was no charge (on Ryanair; amazing)

Obviously the Santiago airport although just as security conscious, in this instance, we were not charged an exorbitant amount.

So next time will check in a backpack to go into the hold and pay that fee.

Hope this helps others who want to take their walking poles with them. Personally having now walked 4 Caminos I wouldn't be without them. I see them as an insurance against ankle and knee damage and are great for stability on rough terrain and great shock absorbers doing down steep tracks.

happymarkos

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Recently when passing through security at Stansted airport in the UK the way to Porto to walk the Portuguese coastal route we were told we could not take our walking poles onto the aircraft with our backpacks. This was a great surprise as we have travelled in many parts of the world including the EU with our walking poles either on the outside or inside the backpacks.

On the way back from Santiago we put them inside the backpacks but were again stopped once the backpacks went through the scanner, In this instance we had to go back and check them in but there was no charge (on Ryanair; amazing)

Obviously the Santiago airport although just as security conscious, in this instance, we were not charged an exorbitant amount.

Hope this helps others who want to take their walking poles with them. Personally having now walked 4 Caminos I wouldn't be without them. I see them as an insurance against ankle and knee damage and are great for stability on rough terrain and great shock absorbers doing down steep tracks.

happymarkos
I'm so surprised by this. I've always carried my poles in my carry-on (pack) with nary an eye batted. The last time was 2015. I hate the idea of checking them. Like you, I consider my trekking poles insurance on my trip. I quite honestly wouldn't even consider beginning without them should my luggage turn up lost. I'd need to pay for new ones immediately....and that's not cheap. I'm not sure what I'll do next year. But I truly appreciate your post letting me know this could happen.

Sandi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Isn't it mind boggling? Well at least my mind gets boggled. There are various, but contiguous, national rules on airport security - most of which can be summarised as: you cannot take nasty sharp pointy things, or anything that might be used as a bludgeon, into an aircraft cabin. There are also rules about things that might go 'bang' or flare into fire or be noxious in one way or another but they are not relevant to this discussion. Nevertheless pilgrims fly into and out of multiple countries on a variety of aircraft having passed through apparently similar standards of airport security and enjoy totally different experiences.

'Under-pants' bombers and 'shoe' bombers and 'parcel-knife' hi-jackers have all got through airport security at one time or another. And lots of people have got through airport security with trekking poles - and some don't. If there were any sense to it there might be some comfort in it but there ain't.

For this old pagan and anarchist the arbitrary nature of everything is just par for the course. I do feel some sympathy for those who would have it otherwise.

happymarkos
We just flew back from Santiago yesterday and Iberia airlines was making everyone check their hiking poles. Also going through security check they were sending people back to check their poles.

I flew into Lisboa and out of Santiago in May this year ( in with Easyjet and out with Vueling) and my poles were ok in my backpack...

In July (this year) I flew into Santiago with Easyjet, again my poles were fine but when I checked out of security (with Vueling) I was told to check the poles in (for free)...

Vueling gave me free check in for my staff last August too..... great airline - cheap, punctual and convenient for Gatwick.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My plan is to return to the Camino Frances this coming year. Last year, I flew on 3 airlines, four planes, (WOW AIR, Aer Lingus, Ryan Air, (twice in a row), one way each time, with Stanstead and Santiago as Numbers 2 and 3. I was asked if the walking poles were necessary to get around and I answered, "Yes," each time and each time I was allowed to continue on board each plane. Collapsible? Yes. Rubber foot? Yes. This is essential. No sharp metal pointed poles will be allowed on board, ever. And, I used those poles into the Airport, through TSA, to the gate and onto the plane. They were never carried in one hand.

This was a year ago. Policies may have changed.

I did have to leave a half dozen brand new tent pegs in Stanstead, (aluminum and not fully sharpened, or blunted) behind as the person I was working with felt they did not fit the, "allowable," limits. Yet I returned with 4 identical pegs in my carry on pack with no issue. (I have replaced them with nice plastic ones now).

This issue has come up before and after providing my details, some branded me a liar (to TSA). But I will head off any further abuse now by saying, "If you use walking poles by necessity, as some have stated here, then tell Security that they are a necessity." That is not a lie. But when doing so, use them throughout the airport and boarding the plane as well as leaving.

If the decision is that poles are still prohibited on the plane, in my case, then I will check them one time, and determine policies at the next airport.

Finally, these are the experiences of one person, me, and no one else. Personal experiences may vary depending on need, walking poles and airport.

It should be clear by now that you cannot count on taking poles with you in the cabin. I've always checked in my backpack, with my poles attached to it. To show how much you are dependent on personal considerations of staff: the first time I flew with Transavia and was told to take my poles with me in the cabin.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Santiago airport has a special arrangement: every passenger can check in walking poles free of charge, on all airlines and for all ticket categories. This includes bargain tickets where only hand luggage is allowed and airlines with high additional fees for checking in luggage that has not been prepaid.

Last edited:

happymarkos
I bought folding polls, which are very handy. I don’t know what airport security thinks of them, because my partner and I usually check in one bacpack that contains any potentially troublesome items, such as our swiss army knife and possibly excess liquid. A bit more hassle that can also save some worse hassles.

In the past 5 years I have gone through security at Dublin, Lyon, Toulouse, Biarritz, Santander and Santiago airports with walking poles in my cabin bag and there was never an issue. Yesterday security at Bilbao confiscated them! They did give me an option of going back out to check them in but I was thinking of replacing them anyway so let them go. Next time we will check in one bag which will give us the option of bringing along other restricted items such as penknife.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@happymarkos, thank you for mentioning this.

Santiago airport has a special arrangement: every passenger can check in walking poles free of charge, on all airlines and for all ticket categories. This includes bargain tickets where only hand luggage is allowed and airlines with high additional fees for checking in luggage that has not been prepaid.

This seems to be one of the best kept secrets of the pilgrimage world, I'm surprised that it is not better researched and not more widely known.

I didn't know that. Most useful information, thanks. I usually check my pack on the way out and post my poles home when I reach Santiago. To get the free checking of poles from Santiago, do we just go to the normal check in desk for our carrier?

Last edited:
I was able to take my Poles as a carry on from the USI wrap them in bubble wrap and hook into the outside of my pack. But I found out leaving Spain I had to check them. Fortunately, at the Post Office in Spain they have boxes that are designed to carry walking Poles either for mailing are checking aboard.

PLEASE, can we just STOP with all the dated anecdotal stories about how one or another pilgrim was able to carry their hiking poles onto a commercial aircraft in their rucksack a year or two ago? This back and forth has gone on too long, at least IMHO, and is not helpful.

I believe it is misleading and less than helpful to everyone. Worse, it costs too many pilgrims their hiking poles at the last minute and introduces stress. Starting a Camino off on the wrong foot is never a good way to start any journey...

The aviation security threat changes daily around the world. Security officials and intelligence analysts (I used to be one) in all the western countries constantly evaluate threats, internet chatter, and developing issues or trends. Security is adjusted based on assessments on a regular and ongoing basis.

It is a simple rule of thumb that aviation security only gets tighter and more restrictive as the bad actors around the globe get more clever. We are, none of us, likely to see reduced aviation security during our lifetimes. Please, GET USED TO IT, or do not fly. It is as simple as that.

In the US, for example, I have learned from reliable sources within the government (my pre-retirement employer) that, from November 2017, EVERYTHING in your carry-on larger than a standard paperback book (4" x 6") will have to come out of your carry-on bag for a visual search and x-ray. This is regardless of what the item is made of. You will still need to remove your 3-1-1 pouch of liquids, gels, or pastes.

As the airlines tightened up their checked baggage allowances, charging for everything they possibly can, passengers have been cramming more and varied items into their carry-on bags. This makes it more difficult for aviation screening officials to rapidly assess the threat for all items carried. The increased difficulty slows down processing, and causes longer lines and wait times.

It does not matter how sophisticated the x-ray machine is. Too many items crammed into a bag at all angles can look misleading, deliver incorrect scanning results, or can camouflage restricted items. For example, bars of chocolate you bought as gifts have to the scanner, a density similar to Semtex or Composition 4 (C4) plastic explosives. I am regularly shunted to a secondary swabbing for this issue.

So, as is customary, security officials will reduce the least common denominator to that which they can handle most effectively. I am told this will NOT affect passengers who oped to pay to be pre-vetted in the US TSA-Pre or Global Entry programs.

So, my closing plea to all is this: You planned, saved, and budgeted for your coming Camino. WHY would you jeopardize it over the cost of checking a single bag containing all sharp items, other questionable items, and your hiking poles?

The relative cost of checking a bag works out to about one or two days (at most) expense while on Camino. Personally, I believe the fractional added cost to be insignificant considering the issues involved. Yes, there is always a risk of your checked bag going walkabout on you. Life happens...

But, did you know that international aviation security rules specify that your checked bag MUST travel on the same aircraft as you? Planes are regularly held at departure gates until the passenger list can be reconciled with checked baggage placed on board. The idea is to prevent a bad actor from checking a bag, then not boarding the plane...think about what this means...

In part, it logically means that if your bag does not turn up on the arrival carousel, it went missing on the arrival or connecting flight end, not the departure end. This is why I always attach a "destination" baggage tag, stating where I will be the first night I arrive. The airline can deliver the bag to the hotel I stay in the day or two before I start my Camino. Everything irreplaceable is always with me, in my carry-on.

This is also why I place my rucksack, and hiking poles, inside a brightly colored nylon laundry bag. I want my checked bag to stand out clearly so it attracts baggage handler attention and is not missed (all dark bags look alike). The bright color makes my check bag easier to spot on the baggage carousel, and lessens the likelihood that anyone will inadvertently grab my bag because it looks like theirs.

I sincerely hope this helps resolve this ping-pong issue...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Several months back, when some of the posts were getting very belligerent on the topic of whether you can carry your hiking poles onto the plane, several members put their heads together to come up with a non-judgmental (yes, believe it or not, some people do get judgmental on this topic) summary of what can be said factually about the topic. People continue to want to do it, either because of short connections, the hassles created if they go missing (that was the trigger for me), etc.

Thanks to those clear thinkers:
  1. Written or posted guidance provided by airlines and security agencies often specifies "No hiking poles," without clarification of type or size. However, in many countries, the actual legally binding documents do not say hiking poles are prohibited. If asked, the airlines generally say "No hiking poles."
  2. In practice you will likely not be permitted to carry full-size uncollapsed hiking poles into the cabin.
  3. Many people who carry folded-up poles are allowed to carry them on (see the last point for the one clear exception).
  4. Walking aids are permitted if the passenger needs them for mobility.
  5. The security agents at all airports have authority to prohibit anything they decide is a potential hazard. It is not a good idea to argue with them. The security staff are not connected with the airlines.
  6. If you want to carry your poles into the cabin, no matter what type, go prepared with time and an alternative packing plan in case you are not permitted to take them.
  7. Finally, poles are never allowed through security at Santiago airport, when you are leaving, so you must have them as checked baggage. However, many travelers have reported that at Santiago airport, many airlines allow them to be checked at no additional cost.
Since these are generalizations, there will be lots of different individual experiences, but this list should help you decide what the risks are and how to go to the airport prepared with a plan B.

Because of the barrage of criticism that usually accompanies my statement that I have carried on my poles for years and years, I have resorted to PMs, and can tell you that as recently as Sept. 22, 2017 one pilgrim reported to me that he carried on poles from Boston to Madrid, through security, and onto a domestic flight within Spain.

Of course things can change, of course the security officer can do what he or she wants, which is why a Plan B is essential.

Thanks to t2ndreo for telling us that it looks like the US may be in for a whopping change. I can't even imagine what the lines will look like if everything bigger than a paperback book comes out of carry-ons. I have a flight on Nov. 14 and just can't wait!

Ever since 9/11 we have checked our hiking poles, Swiss Army knives, and a few spare clothing items for padding. We carry those items in a very lightweight, inexpensive, zippered duffel bag that we can stick in our backpack after it's emptied. We carry our backpacks on board with no problem. One time the checked bag was lost (the flight from Heathrow to Asturias), but amazingly the poles and one knife were easily replaced at the sporting goods store (part of a chain), Decathlon Capital, just a couple of blocks from our accommodations in Bilbao. I replaced my tiny Swiss Army knife in Santiago! Insurance coverage later took care of all losses--with a little work on my part!

I’m flying next Thursday from Stansted to Biarritz. I flew twice last year with Ryan Air and took my poles with me, but my friend had hers confiscated. I think it was simply a matter of who you get at security!

After reading this thread I’ve made the decision to check in my pack and poles. It’s just not worth the risk. It has cost me an extra £40 each way, but I think it is worth it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
… we were told we could not take our walking poles onto the aircraft with our backpacks. This was a great surprise …
Having flown into, out of, and within USA many times, I thought it obvious that walking poles would not be allowed, even if the rubber caps covered up the sharp points. But if I had learned the hard way, I would have backed out and gone to put them in as checked. If confiscated after asking that, I
would make a BIG stink.

The relative cost of checking a bag works out to about one or two days (at most) expense while on Camino.

For most trans Atlantic flights the cost of one checked bag is included in the fare, so those coming from North America, really don't have to worry about extra cost to check their poles. I know that there are some bare bones airlines like Norwegian that do charge for checked bags, but I believe that the major airlines still give one free checked bag.

And the security staff don't "confiscate" the poles, they just tell you that you can't take them on the plane. At that point you can leave the security line and check them in. Of course, you should have a plan in place as to how you are going to do that if it happens.

I bring a checked bag with clothing for before and after the Camino, so my poles go in there. Last year I left the suitcase with a friend in Madrid. This year had it sent to Santiago from St Jean via Express Bouricott. I was quite happy to have something different to wear after 5 weeks of the same two outfits!

happymarkos
Which type of poles are we talking about.....there are poles and poles. I have never had a single issue with black diamond z poles, which fold up very small and do not have pointy ends.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My FINAL statement on this issue is CAVEAT EMPTOR! You have several excellent posts above, and more than enough information to make an informed decision.

Consider the pros and cons for YOU, then make a decision for YOU. The outcome will either be favorable or unfavorable to YOU.

We have done all we can to present this fully in this thread. However, I plead with you to not induce others to do as you have done based on a one-off anecdotal experience. It is simply not helpful.

The entire aviation security environment is too subjective and spotty to be able to say with any certainty whether or not a carry-on hiking pole will be allowed. I have Black Diamond Z-poles and like them. But they still ride INSIDE my checked rucksack.

You make your choices and live with the consequences. Choose carefully.

I hope this helps.

I have a really good set of trekking poles I use for hikes at home. When I walked the Camino Frances a few years ago instead of bring them and dealing with the possibility of having to abandon them instead of paying baggage fees worth more than their worth I bought an inexpensive set of trekking poles at a shop in Saint Jean Pied de Port. They worked great and I think I only paid about twenty euro for the pair. Sure, not as nice a set as mine at home, but for the non technical walk that the Camino Frances is they were more than adequate and were well made. When I got to Muxia I gave them away to a fellow pilgrim from Spain.

I’m flying next Thursday from Stansted to Biarritz. I flew twice last year with Ryan Air and took my poles with me, but my friend had hers confiscated. I think it was simply a matter of who you get at security!

After reading this thread I’ve made the decision to check in my pack and poles. It’s just not worth the risk. It has cost me an extra £40 each way, but I think it is worth it.

Hi Julia

I am flying into Santiago on Wednesday 18 May for a 5 day walk.... and am not bringing my folded hiking pole.... I reckon I will not need it (maybe) and if I do, I could get a cheap one and get free check in when I leave Santiago on 23/10..

Buen Camin!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Isn't it mind boggling? Well at least my mind gets boggled. There are various, but contiguous, national rules on airport security - most of which can be summarised as: you cannot take nasty sharp pointy things, or anything that might be used as a bludgeon, into an aircraft cabin. There are also rules about things that might go 'bang' or flare into fire or be noxious in one way or another but they are not relevant to this discussion. Nevertheless pilgrims fly into and out of multiple countries on a variety of aircraft having passed through apparently similar standards of airport security and enjoy totally different experiences.

'Under-pants' bombers and 'shoe' bombers and 'parcel-knife' hi-jackers have all got through airport security at one time or another. And lots of people have got through airport security with trekking poles - and some don't. If there were any sense to it there might be some comfort in it but there ain't.

For this old pagan and anarchist the arbitrary nature of everything is just par for the course. I do feel some sympathy for those who would have it otherwise.

I suspect that the fact that I carry the trifold black diamonds may have helped Me in the past. Security can see into the hollow poles while they are folded and the folded length is quite a bit smaller that many other brands. Plus they don’t have the long alpine hiking spikes on them. I have the flat plastic tech tips and cover those with rubber tips. (Keeps the blasted click-click-click at bay while walking on hard surfaces.)

Face it- the whole bag could be a weapon for some pilgrims, ha ha.

First rule of the Camino- roll with the unexpected! Check them if you’re worried, carry them if you can get by without them!

Just curious. I've never been stopped at security with the poles folded up inside my pack. Mine are carbon fibre poles - does carbon fibre show up on the scanners?

Just curious. I've never been stopped at security with the poles folded up inside my pack. Mine are carbon fibre poles - does carbon fibre show up on the scanners?
Have also chosen Z-fold carbon fiber poles. No problem carrying on Seattle-Frankfurt or Frankfurt-Bilbao in Oct 2017. REI suggested carbon for that reason—although no one guarantees anything of course.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry, can't resist the assist...

Carbon fiber does not show on x-rays, like in aviation security. Plus, they are not long, tubular, "spear" like items that screeners are taught to recognize. They are expecting to see hiking poles, weaponized canes, or (perhaps) ski poles. These all have pointy tips and are prohibited as jabbing, stabbing weapons.

The tungsten tips and any metal hardware DO reflect on the x-ray. However, arrayed as they are, folded and collapsed, the metal bits appear disjointed and not connected to a prohibited pole. It would take a really experienced screener to recognize what they were looking for.

Caveat emptor...

I hope this helps.

I have flown through Stansted, Gatwick, Biarritz and Toulouse in the last 12 months with a trekking pole (a Leki) in my cabin baggage, but dismantled into 3 stages and bundled together. Never had any problems.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This spring I checked my poles and a small Leatherman tool in California . I carried my pack in the cabin. The poles got lost but were easily replaced in Saint Jean.

happymarkos
Hi Mark. Exactly the same happened to me at Stansted when we flew to Asturias with Easy jet. I told a sob story partially true that I was carrying them for a friend who was ill. To cut a long story short I was escorted back through security and had to check them in along with people checking in bicycles , musical instruments and other outside objects. It was explained if I had needed them as a walking aid to get on the plane this would have been fine. They are classified as dangerous objects. Anyway at the least they did not charge me a penny. On the way home the problem did not arise as all poles by then lost, abandoned or broken but you are right if I want poles next time Ill check them in the hold. Maggie

I have never been able to carry my walking poles returning from Spain.
Joe's were actually confiscated with no option to check them one time.
We don't even try anymore.

happymarkos
I am not totaly agree with you. I believe that security petsonal realy trying to take nessesary steps for the passengers safety.
And in any way some of the pole can in fact be used as a wepon. And that is the focus.
And in fact it is the lower part of the pole where the carbide is which is the "wepon".
I have improved my pole (only use one) so that the point withthe carbide could be removed and with the pole in my backpack I have no problems with security.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I approached another pilgrim at stanstead and offered him 10 pound to put my poles in his luggage which he was very happy to do. The Danish man then only wanted 10 euros. We met up at Biarritz airport and he gave them back to me. He was walking El Norte and me the Camino Frances. Coming home at Santiago a Kiwi girl took them for me.

I approached another pilgrim at stanstead and offered him 10 pound to put my poles in his luggage which he was very happy to do. The Danish man then only wanted 10 euros. We met up at Biarritz airport and he gave them back to me. He was walking El Norte and me the Camino Frances. Coming home at Santiago a Kiwi girl took them for me.
WOW - I very much believe that probably is a security violation - WOW

Just passed through Santiago de Compostela with 2 pairs of Black Diamond z-fold carbon fiber poles in my hand luggage. No problem today.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
WOW - I very much believe that probably is a security violation - WOW

"Has anyone given you anything to carry?"

(it is indeed a security violation, and if anyone but a friend or family member asked me to carry something, the answer would be a firm negative).

I suspect that the fact that I carry the trifold black diamonds may have helped Me in the past. Security can see into the hollow poles while they are folded and the folded length is quite a bit smaller that many other brands. Plus they don’t have the long alpine hiking spikes on them. I have the flat plastic tech tips and cover those with rubber tips. (Keeps the blasted click-click-click at bay while walking on hard surfaces.)

Face it- the whole bag could be a weapon for some pilgrims, ha ha.

First rule of the Camino- roll with the unexpected! Check them if you’re worried, carry them if you can get by without them!

I had to laugh! Our poles are defense against dogs, assaulting strangers, but on planes---why would anyone consider them weapons?? :p

We take responsibility ourselves for how we come about with nordic walking poles and airplanes.....

I'm obliged to share the good and the bad in equal measure....

Never ending saga.....came back some weeks ago....flew out of Madrid..

Was asked to show inside of rucksack by security and it was my sooo good swiss alu poles he wanted to see....was told to check them in....

Kept completely undeterred and just asked to speak to team manager.....maybe he silently was provoked....? ....do not know.....cause two guardia civil officers was asked to talk to me...

Again....calm as a ...."Peregrino in a Happy place"....just stated the obvious...pilgrim on my way home with the walking aid at hand dismantled in my handluggage.... was instructed not to take them out.....easy peasy as that was why I put them theire in the first place...

I do suspect different official aporoach and that it will continue that way in the forseeable future ....it is what it is....

My take on now, is to go no metal/three piece carbon on the next purchase....until then....no worries and low shoulders....what happen...happens....

Ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
II have heard carbon Isint picked up on xray so that may help.
We take responsibility ourselves for how we come about with nordic walking poles and airplanes.....

I'm obliged to share the good and the bad in equal measure....

Never ending saga.....came back some weeks ago....flew out of Madrid..

Was asked to show inside of rucksack by security and it was my sooo good swiss alu poles he wanted to see....was told to check them in....

Kept completely undeterred and just asked to speak to team manager.....maybe he silently was provoked....? ....do not know.....cause two guardia civil officers was asked to talk to me...

Again....calm as a ...."Peregrino in a Happy place"....just stated the obvious...pilgrim on my way home with the walking aid at hand dismantled in my handluggage.... was instructed not to take them out.....easy peasy as that was why I put them theire in the first place...

I do suspect different official aporoach and that it will continue that way in the forseeable future ....it is what it is....

My take on now, is to go no metal/three piece carbon on the next purchase....until then....no worries and low shoulders....what happen...happens....

Ultreia
https://www.facebook.com/plutseligpilgrim/posts/1952972861646364

"Has anyone given you anything to carry?"

(it is indeed a security violation, and if anyone but a friend or family member asked me to carry something, the answer would be a firm negative).
I'm a 65 year old female perigrino. While I agree one should never accept anything from a stranger I have walked enough pilgrimages to know the difference. If either people had said no I would have been fine with that. As it was I had met the kiwi woman on the way so we did know each other however vaguely. Also my impression was that all checkin luggage also goes thru xray!

@makingtrax and @CaminoDebrita that is the same reason my elderly client agreed to carry presents home for a friend. Because he knew the friend was a good person. He was very sure about that. And he watched as the presents were wrapped. Harmless things. Sadly they were packed with cocaine. Which got picked up on arrival in Sydney.

Many people feel very uncomfortable saying "no" when someone requests a favour.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@makingtrax and @CaminoDebrita that is the same reason my elderly client agreed to carry presents home for a friend. Because he knew the friend was a good person. He was very sure about that. And he watched as the presents were wrapped. Harmless things. Sadly they were packed with cocaine. Which got picked up on arrival in Sydney.

Wow!

Thank you very much. That is excatly my point. It could be something worse luke the B-thing.
So for safety of all us - don't.

The airport/security authorities have certainly stepped up their information efforts. I'm not a frequent flyer so maybe this has been around for longer but when I checked in online for an upcoming inter-Schengen flight this came up (see below) - a first for me. Note the last line and the obligation to confirm. No new information, obviously, for those who have been familiar with these instructions for years.

upload_2017-10-25_10-58-8.png

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I know you posted an identical message before but now my curiosity is getting the better of me. Does this mean that the policemen let you pass with your poles in your backpack? If so, it would definitely be one of the more interesting anecdotes on the topic "Me and my poles in airport X" :cool:.

Word by word EXACTLY what happened ......seems like Guardia Civil cut the red tape for security personell and had the authority to give "free passage".....important to remember.....I stood my ground politely.....just asked to speak with "team leader"/"officer in charge"......everyone working in security is just doing what they are told to....no more, no less....so dealing directly with true authority seemed like the trick....hey presto

The airport/security authorities have certainly stepped up their information efforts. I'm not a frequent flyer so maybe this has been around for longer but when I checked in online for an upcoming inter-Schengen flight this came up (see below) - a first for me. Note the last line and the obligation to confirm. No new information, obviously, for those who have been familiar with these instructions for years.

View attachment 36998
Excatly my point - freinds or no freinds - it is prohibited. Period.
Hopefully alle recognizing that it is all about security yours and mine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

happymarkos
Have always checked my back pack in so no problem with the poles. For information for next year, I asked Dublin airport about carrying them on board in my pack and they said there would be no problem. After reading this thread, I think I will stick to checking in my pack. Not worth the bother if some security man says I cant take them

Nothing sharp, and nothing blunt. Hmmm. :)
As long as it's not sharp there's no problem.
I belueve that we - pilgrims - fore our own sake schould accept the fact that Airport security only like to take care of our security.
As long as we ALL respect - anc I mea rsspect the rules for flight security it will help us selfes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Your poor poor elderly client... with friends like this, who needs enemies? I refused to carry anything for anybody too.... Recently, I was asked to carry a red packet of money (for New Year celebration) and I declined as that person refused to open the sealed packet for me to inspect.... he said it was bad luck.! I dont know what it contained but I did not want to take the risk esp as I could not inspect the contents.!

With security at airports being the way it is, and with different local laws, it is not worth taking any risks. On my last trip I wanted to take my pack onboard, but was not sure if it would be allowed. It was under the weight restriction (7 kilos) but over the size usually allowed. Because I did not know, I packed anything that I could not carry onboard into a small easy to reach plastic bag at the top of my pack. When the airline said it was fine to carry the pack, I threw away the contents of the plastic bag. Only a few things - sharp scissors, needles, small blister scalpel.

Pretty much everything is easy to replace in Spain.

I have always checked in the walking poles. Or you can post ahead and collect. Airport security won’t let you take them airside in the airport.
It's not the whole story.
1. When ever there is a hard metal point on the poles they are - as you said - not accepted.
2. On the other hand if there isn't the hard metal point and if the poles are packed inside your backpack there don't seems to bee any problem.

I always use the nr. 2 and always carry my backpack in cabin.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had to laugh! Our poles are defense against dogs, assaulting strangers, but on planes---why would anyone consider them weapons?? :p
My pack is also a weapon if I choose to swing it. As are any keys I choose to carry. Hell, there isn’t even enough room to swing poles in an airplane anymore! Unless you’re in first class I suppose.

My pack is also a weapon if I choose to swing it. As are any keys I choose to carry. Hell, there isn’t even enough room to swing poles in an airplane anymore! Unless you’re in first class I suppose.
Yes I know it could sound a little... and as well somebody in this thread seems it is kind of redicoules not to carry something for others.
But we all have to respect airport and airlines security for the rules they make.
Even we laughs about the security thing - okay some of us do and some of us takes it seriously - the only reason for the rules are only to protect you and me.
If we all consider that and respect it, it all makes sense.

It should be clear by now that you cannot count on taking poles with you in the cabin. I've always checked in my backpack, with my poles attached to it. To show how much you are dependent on personal considerations of staff: the first time I flew with Transavia and was told to take my poles with me in the cabin.
Have you tryied to put them into your backpack and take of the hardmetalarrows????

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
PLEASE, can we just STOP with all the dated anecdotal stories about how one or another pilgrim was able to carry their hiking poles onto a commercial aircraft in their rucksack a year or two ago? This back and forth has gone on too long, at least IMHO, and is not helpful.

I believe it is misleading and less than helpful to everyone. Worse, it costs too many pilgrims their hiking poles at the last minute and introduces stress. Starting a Camino off on the wrong foot is never a good way to start any journey...

The aviation security threat changes daily around the world. Security officials and intelligence analysts (I used to be one) in all the western countries constantly evaluate threats, internet chatter, and developing issues or trends. Security is adjusted based on assessments on a regular and ongoing basis.

It is a simple rule of thumb that aviation security only gets tighter and more restrictive as the bad actors around the globe get more clever. We are, none of us, likely to see reduced aviation security during our lifetimes. Please, GET USED TO IT, or do not fly. It is as simple as that.

In the US, for example, I have learned from reliable sources within the government (my pre-retirement employer) that, from November 2017, EVERYTHING in your carry-on larger than a standard paperback book (4" x 6") will have to come out of your carry-on bag for a visual search and x-ray. This is regardless of what the item is made of. You will still need to remove your 3-1-1 pouch of liquids, gels, or pastes.

As the airlines tightened up their checked baggage allowances, charging for everything they possibly can, passengers have been cramming more and varied items into their carry-on bags. This makes it more difficult for aviation screening officials to rapidly assess the threat for all items carried. The increased difficulty slows down processing, and causes longer lines and wait times.

It does not matter how sophisticated the x-ray machine is. Too many items crammed into a bag at all angles can look misleading, deliver incorrect scanning results, or can camouflage restricted items. For example, bars of chocolate you bought as gifts have to the scanner, a density similar to Semtex or Composition 4 (C4) plastic explosives. I am regularly shunted to a secondary swabbing for this issue.

So, as is customary, security officials will reduce the least common denominator to that which they can handle most effectively. I am told this will NOT affect passengers who oped to pay to be pre-vetted in the US TSA-Pre or Global Entry programs.

So, my closing plea to all is this: You planned, saved, and budgeted for your coming Camino. WHY would you jeopardize it over the cost of checking a single bag containing all sharp items, other questionable items, and your hiking poles?

The relative cost of checking a bag works out to about one or two days (at most) expense while on Camino. Personally, I believe the fractional added cost to be insignificant considering the issues involved. Yes, there is always a risk of your checked bag going walkabout on you. Life happens...

But, did you know that international aviation security rules specify that your checked bag MUST travel on the same aircraft as you? Planes are regularly held at departure gates until the passenger list can be reconciled with checked baggage placed on board. The idea is to prevent a bad actor from checking a bag, then not boarding the plane...think about what this means...

In part, it logically means that if your bag does not turn up on the arrival carousel, it went missing on the arrival or connecting flight end, not the departure end. This is why I always attach a "destination" baggage tag, stating where I will be the first night I arrive. The airline can deliver the bag to the hotel I stay in the day or two before I start my Camino. Everything irreplaceable is always with me, in my carry-on.

This is also why I place my rucksack, and hiking poles, inside a brightly colored nylon laundry bag. I want my checked bag to stand out clearly so it attracts baggage handler attention and is not missed (all dark bags look alike). The bright color makes my check bag easier to spot on the baggage carousel, and lessens the likelihood that anyone will inadvertently grab my bag because it looks like theirs.

I sincerely hope this helps resolve this ping-pong issue...
It’s always entertaining for us when we take our SCUBA regulators with very long hoses, and canister lights as carry on. We have TSA pre-check so we breeze through regardless, but those regs and canisters always get swabbed for explosives :) but they are allowed as carry on since they aren’t weapons.
We check everything else into 3 extra large bags, including the expensive underwater camera equipment. Never had a bag lost. Delayed-yes.
On our Camino we carried on the packs and checked the poles with a knife and some after Camino clothes.
No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back