• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Security in Albergues

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
I noticed the large albergue in Roncevalles has (apparently lockable) lockers for "your stuff." Is that typical or, if not, what do folks do with your belongings when you wander in town, etc.? I am sure most peregrinos will leave your stuff alone, but how much should you be concerned about your pack, etc.?

Fred

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most people keep their valuables on them at all times, I used a Bum Bag for this very purpose. Regarding the pack I just left mine by my bed, never had any problem with that. I'd like to think that pilgrims are honest people, but it's always best not to leave temptation in anyones way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More and more albergues have lockers, with a magnetic key they offer or you own. So do bring your own lock. Most of the time your backpack is left behing with your gear and you carry tech and Id with you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More and more albergues have lockers, with a magnetic key they offer or you own. So do bring your own lock. Most of the time your backpack is left behing with your gear and you carry tech and Id with you.

I rarely disagree with Anemone, but I would never carry my own lock for purposes of using a locker to lock up my backpack. But like Kanga and Annie, I never let my passport, wallet, or phone out of my sight. My opinion on the lock is that it's overkill, but maybe people carry a lot more valuable stuff than I do.

I rarely disagree with Anemone, but I would never carry my own lock for purposes of using a locker to lock up my backpack. But like Kanga and Annie, I never let my passport, wallet, or phone out of my sight. My opinion on the lock is that it's overkill, but maybe people carry a lot more valuable stuff than I do.
I think it really depends on where you plan to stay. Larger cities, or albergues open to the riff raff (non Caminoers that is, such as Barcelona, Bilbao, Porto, where "Party albergues" are common) I felt much better having my pack being a lock, as tiny as it was. They weigh little and will redirect the evil intened beings towards the other packs. It's just 2$ and 50 grams for added peace of mind. Also, there are also unattented albergues, those where you pick uo the key at the local bar, or simply find the door open. Anyone, ie non oilgrims, can get in and out of them, and waltz out with you stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a backpack where I can attach a smaller pack (Tactical Tailor removable operator pack). Very convenient - when I arrive at a albergue, I detach the operator pack and carry it around town or whatever. All valuables of any kind are in the operator pack - and it never leaves my sight. It´s even in my sleeping bag when I sleep.
I took a very similar approach on my first camino. I found the combination of main pack and the piggy back was just far too heavy, and took up too much of my weight budget. My current approach is to take a stowable day pack. I initially tried the Sea-to-Summit ultra-sil pack, but have since move to a slightly more robust bag from Kathmandu. It weighs about 150 gm. I use it as my carry on bag and for valuables (passport, phone, camera, etc) at the end of each day as well as for any shopping.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sensitive items (passport, credential, wallet, smartphone) stay on your person, I even take them to the shower with me in a small dry bag and place them in the bottom of my sleep sack when I sleep. The backpack stays next to the bed at the albergue.

Always carry valuables on your person, money, phone, passport.

Nobody cares about your old socks hahaha, but even on the camino there are always some not so nice people who do care about your phone or money. Sad but true.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All VERY good information here, above. :)

The lockers at Roncesvalles are more or less exceptional, as is just about everything else about this Dutch-run albergue. If all albergues were run as well, the Camino would be a different place, and likely a lot busier. However, these lockers are not found everywhere. They are the exception more than the rule. Cherish them when you encounter them.

The "rule" is rucksacks strewn about the floor, mind your step so you do not trip in the dark. You do not want to place a rucksack on your bunk, as that dirties the bunk and can help spread insects in or out. I submit it is also rude behavior.

Absent lockers, cube bins, dedicated hooks or shelves, I always carry a Nite-Ize #6 nylon carabiner. It is nylon plastic and available in a variety of colors. Mine is "Frog Green" as befits my overall livery.;)

Nite-Ize make a complete line of these nylon carabiners for light-duty (non climbing) use. They start from a tiny size, suitable for holding one key or as a zipper pull, all the way up to a #8 or #10 which is HUGE! There are many useful sizes in between. The web site is: http://www.niteize.com/

This carabiner is a classic "S" shape and is just large enough to attach to the frame or rails of a bunkbed, based on my test fitting in my local Ikea store before hand, and actual field experience. I attach the hanging / grab loop of my rucksack to this hook and "voila!" my rucksack is high, dry and off the floor. My importantly, the height is convenient for getting stuff in and out of the rucksack without disturbing others.

The hook weighs 33 grams or about one ounce. When not in use, it hangs from the outside of my rucksack, or I place it in the top zipper pouch.

I hope this helps.

No disrespect intended, but I wonder if all of this locking equipment, lightweight as it may be, is a signal to would-be thieves that that's where the goods are. Kind of like how we grab for our wallets when the accomplice cries "thief" and then the thief knows exactly where to go. I think that for most people, so long as the holy trio of wallet, passport, and phone are always on the body, there is nothing in the pack that any thief would want. I know it's a classic, but how much resale value is there in my 15 year old Altus poncho anyway? Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Always carry valuables on your person, money, phone, passport.

Nobody cares about your old socks hahaha, but even on the camino there are always some not so nice people who do care about your phone or money. Sad but true.
It can be disappointing.
My last Camino some kind soul filched my sunglasses off my pack when I set it down and went to grab a cup of coffee. They were a good set of Oakley's. Not new, but had them for about five years, but still was a pain trying to find a replacement set at a reasonable price down the road.
I also had my toenail clippers filched off the albergue bed while I went to take a shower. Came back and they were gone. Used toenail clippers? Really?

No disrespect intended, but I wonder if all of this locking equipment, lightweight as it may be, is a signal to would-be thieves that that's where the goods are. Kind of like how we grab for our wallets when the accomplice cries "thief" and then the thief knows exactly where to go. I think that for most people, so long as the holy trio of wallet, passport, and phone are always on the body, there is nothing in the pack that any thief would want. I know it's a classic, but how much resale value is there in my 15 year old Altus poncho anyway? Buen camino, Laurie
I thought the same thing about my old sunglasses and toenail clippers....:rolleyes:

I thought the same thing about my old sunglasses and toenail clippers....:rolleyes:

Well, unless you are going to attach these items to your pack somehow, none of these pack security devices would have saved your sunglasses and your toenail clippers. Seriously, though, I don't deny that petty theft happens all the time, I hear about it over and over. But I am not convinced that the solutions proposed are really going to stop the problem.

Another good reason to walk the less travelled caminos....

Years ago a thief broke into my home through a sash window. I thought I would stop it happening again by hammering a block of wood into the window frame. Found the wood. Found a big nail. Then discovered the thief had taken my tool bag, including the hammer :-( Couldn't help laughing out loud. No end to the list of unlikely things someone somewhere will steal.

As all stated keep just the critical stuff 2 entire packs were taken but they were left outside in Leon with no one around. It happens but it won't take you long just use common sense. Don't bother with locks or concern on this.

Fred, I do what the others do: credential, passport, the little money I carry and phone. They are always on my person. I have a smaller pack I carry my stuff in. They've become part of my existence. The rest of the stuff.... sleeping bag, a few items of underwear, pants and t-shirt..... who'd take them?? If someone did, then they need it more than I, so that;s ok with me :) Buen Camino!! Caesar

I took a very similar approach on my first camino. I found the combination of main pack and the piggy back was just far too heavy, and took up too much of my weight budget. My current approach is to take a stowable day pack. I initially tried the Sea-to-Summit ultra-sil pack, but have since move to a slightly more robust bag from Kathmandu. It weighs about 150 gm. I use it as my carry on bag and for valuables (passport, phone, camera, etc) at the end of each day as well as for any shopping.

It's good to hear this works for you. I've been debating whether to just take a shopping bag, but I like the idea of having a small pack. I can use it as a carry-on on the plane, and for shopping in town. I'm also planning to carry a lightweight bum bag/money belt which I'll wear at all times. I'm getting both more nervous and more excited as my leaving date approaches!

I have a bum bag that is always with me - even going to the loo at night. My husband prefers having no responsibility at all on our Caminos, so all his valuables, except his phone, which he keeps in an inner pocket, are in my bumbag.

I also have a very light nylon bag for food shopping in towns on the way and for carryon on planes.

I am sure most peregrinos will leave your stuff alone, but how much should you be concerned about your pack, etc.?
Just a few thoughts on the subject of security for your stuff:

In 2 months on the camino I didn't hear of one theft.

We didn't have a smart-phone but did have a tablet and we brought that. I didn't worry about theft when it was left charging as what were the chances it would be taken when surrounded by charging smart-phones?

In Navarrete at La Casa del Peregrino they had lockable lockers with a feature I didn't see anywhere else; an electrical outlet inside so you could charge your electronics while secured.

I carried a very small padlock and a light-weight cable to connect our packs to make snatch-and-runs difficult. I never used them.

In a recent post somewhere at this site someone mentioned carrying a rechargeable battery-pack so that would be charged in the afternoon and evening and then used at night to charge his smart-phone inside the sleeping bag. Maybe a second pack could be charged at night.

There should be a couple of ***closable*** pockets in your passport pouch for things like SD cards and credit cards and such. Attach something inside if there isn't one there.

If you have a camera take out the memory card each night and put it in the passport pouch. It would be bad losing the camera but worse losing your pictures too.

@Mark Lee I know, people can sink to all sorts of new lows.

In the municipal in Logroño somebody stole my bandaids and blisterkit with threads , needles ect... I had unpacked, put it on my bed, went to the kitchen for 10 minutes, came back to get it to attend to my blister in the courtyard (my million blisters....on my very first camino) and it was gone.

Used toenailclippers? Absolutely ieuwww

Someones used blisterkit......IEUWWWW

Steal a phone, money ect...i get it. Sad, but true, but steal a blisterkit??? From a pilgrim?? Seriously? What is wrong with you! Ask and you could have borrowed it all.....but i needed that....alot.

@Mark Lee I know, people can sink to all sorts of new lows.

In the municipal in Logroño somebody stole my bandaids and blisterkit with threads , needles ect... I had unpacked, put it on my bed, went to the kitchen for 10 minutes, came back to get it to attend to my blister in the courtyard (my million blisters....on my very first camino) and it was gone.

Used toenailclippers? Absolutely ieuwww

Someones used blisterkit......IEUWWWW

Steal a phone, money ect...i get it. Sad, but true, but steal a blisterkit??? From a pilgrim?? Seriously? What is wrong with you! Ask and you could have borrowed it all.....but i needed that....alot.
Ha ha....that's exactly what I thought. Someone else's used toenail clippers? Ugh. I mean, I'm a pretty clean guy and practice good hygiene and don't have foot funk, but still.
I cannot imagine wanting someone else's blister needles, ha ha.

Some years ago on the way to Ruesta on the Aragon camino a car stopped and the driver offered me to bring my backpack to the albergue some km ahead. After a very long, hot day I did not hesitate to say yes please. The same had happened to my 3 fellow peregrinos on the route that day and one of them asked me if I had been a bit worried sending my things away with a stranger. In fact I thought I might have done a silly thing, but at that moment the happiness of getting rid of my 12 kg bp was greater than my worries. When I arrived at the albergue an hour later my bp was placed beside my bed!
Like most people here I usually do not worry so much about leaving my bp in albergues. I sometimes think the rest of my camino will be easier without my heavy pack. For me the worst would be to loose my bp not the content. It is more difficult and more expensive to get a new bp that suits you than new clothes. On the Norte i 2013 I met a young pilgrim who had lost everything during the night in a closed gite in France. Somebody had come in during the night, opened lockers, taking all the belongings, even the valuables inside sleepingbags from all the people in the gite. The police believed they had doped the pilgrims in some way. This young man I met, continued his camino. The police had given him a small backpack and he said he managed well.
I think it is relatively safe to leave your backpack. After a long day on the camino, you have to let your backpack go when you do things outside the albergue. If not I think the camino is over and out for me.

Some years ago on the way to Ruesta on the Aragon camino a car stopped and the driver offered me to bring my backpack to the albergue some km ahead. After a very long, hot day I did not hesitate to say yes please. .

Holy Moly, no WAY would I give some stranger in a car my pack!
You are one brave (and lucky) peregrina!
I'm glad it turned out ok.

Some years ago on the way to Ruesta on the Aragon camino a car stopped and the driver offered me to bring my backpack to the albergue some km ahead. After a very long, hot day I did not hesitate to say yes please. The same had happened to my 3 fellow peregrinos on the route that day and one of them asked me if I had been a bit worried sending my things away with a stranger. In fact I thought I might have done a silly thing, but at that moment the happiness of getting rid of my 12 kg bp was greater than my worries. When I arrived at the albergue an hour later my bp was placed beside my bed!
Like most people here I usually do not worry so much about leaving my bp in albergues. I sometimes think the rest of my camino will be easier without my heavy pack. For me the worst would be to loose my bp not the content. It is more difficult and more expensive to get a new bp that suits you than new clothes. On the Norte i 2013 I met a young pilgrim who had lost everything during the night in a closed gite in France. Somebody had come in during the night, opened lockers, taking all the belongings, even the valuables inside sleepingbags from all the people in the gite. The police believed they had doped the pilgrims in some way. This young man I met, continued his camino. The police had given him a small backpack and he said he managed well.
I think it is relatively safe to leave your backpack. After a long day on the camino, you have to let your backpack go when you do things outside the albergue. If not I think the camino is over and out for me.
Wow. A group roofie of pilgrims. That is bad.
In 2014 while I was at the municipal in O'Cebreiro several pilgrims had money stolen from their backpacks during the night. I didn't hear about it until the next day in Triacastela. I do remember the albergue was full and of course backpacks were everywhere when an albergue is like that. Heck, they may have pilfered through mine that night, but decided my used socks and skivvies weren't worth the trouble as I always keep my wallet and passport on me, even when I sleep (in waterproof bag hanging in sight when in shower).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The stuff you take on the Camino ends up three ways, dirty, broken, or stolen.

Holy Moly, no WAY would I give some stranger in a car my pack!
You are one brave (and lucky) peregrina!
I'm glad it turned out ok.

My reaction exactly!!!
Except......

One day in France, we had walked between 30 and 40 k, it was hot and a lady came to open the Youth Hostel for us. We'd agreed to meet at a crossroads and she arrived in her little van, no room for 2 pilgrims so she told us where it was exactly (about 5 min away walking). She apologised as she could see we were quite exhausted but said 'Let me at least take your bags'. As the car slowly disappeared round the corner, we looked at each other with absolute sheer horror! Two mature pilgrims, supposedly intelligent(mmm...., to be debated), quite world-travelled and we had just both done the unthinkable! I think we ran those few hundred metres rather than walked them!
Of course she happened to be trustworthy but it was a lesson at the beginning of our journey. It didn't happen again:oops:

The second I arrived at the train station in SJPP on my first Camino a young Frenchman approched us offering to take our packs in his var to the pilgrim office. Euh... No! was the first thought that came to mind. He explained that he and a group of friends were planning a trip where one would drive, with backpacks, while others walked, and he wanted to see how many backpacks could fit in the back of his car. Seeing the hesitation he then offered to deive us as well. Yup, I cheated from the second I ser foot in SJPP. o_O But surely the Camino does not start at the train station but on the doorstep of the albergue where you spend the night, right? :rolleyes:

I think more backpacks disappear from the luggage room in buses than from albergues. Since I don't want mine stolen I mark it with name, address and phonenumber in big letters with waterproof ink. I guess it is not so easy to walk around with a bp with somebodyelses name on it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As Kanga said, money, passport and any important stuff with you all the time, I sleep with my, never leave any valuable inside your backpack, don't leave your backpack on the bed, hospitaleiros don't like that in addition I use a 80 lb test fishing line with one loop at each end and close its end with a small carabiner, look its not going to stop a someone that wants that pack real bad, but it maybe just make then move to another, two caminos, many backpack trips and I have left money bag in bathrooms, pack in restaurants, passport in counters never lost anything knock on wood :)

zzotte

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you have a camera take out the memory card each night and put it in the passport pouch. It would be bad losing the camera but worse losing your pictures too.
I take 2 SD cards and each evening download them and then swap card #1 for card #2 in the camera. That way if I lost a card, I'd only loose a day's worth of photos. Plan worked until my home travel day when I didn't remove it from the camera until I got home and was sitting in my car. My thought was, no use taking the camera in the house, just the card to download. You know how you push on the SD card and it releases it just a little so you can grab it? This time the SD card flew into the air and has never ever been found. I think it went down the little slot where the hand brake cover is.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I take 2 SD cards and each evening download them and then swap card #1 for card #2 in the camera. That way if I lost a card, I'd only loose a day's worth of photos. Plan worked until my home travel day when I didn't remove it from the camera until I got home and was sitting in my car. My thought was, no use taking the camera in the house, just the card to download. You know how you push on the SD card and it releases it just a little so you can grab it? This time the SD card flew into the air and has never ever been found. I think it went down the little slot where the hand brake cover is.

Start taking the interior apart....

I do the same as Doug.....never leave your valuables in the Albergues....you are responsible for your valuables....don't leave them behind.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lots of good advice above, and from the sounds of it, so long as I use commonsense and carry the vital things with me at all times I should be fine.

I take an 'Onya' bag which folds up into a 4" block, but folds out into a strong light backpack, great for bits and bobs you need to keep on you, but also strong enough that you can fill it up with food or whatever if you go shopping..

sorry Dutch - old, smelly socks are NOT immune to thieves! When on a campsite near Chartres I had manky socks and my microtowel nicked off the drying line!

I lost my knitted waterbottle holder from my bed one afternoon. But the next morning, it was back on my bed. Very odd. Maybe it had ended up in someone's backpack, but when they saw me start knitting a new one, they knew who it belonged to?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of the items missing I lost or forgot them. towels, knife, fleece jacket, foot kit. All on me. In reality a person can do this with the clothes on their back, as long as you have your passport & money.

I take an 'Onya' bag which folds up into a 4" block, but folds out into a strong light backpack, great for bits and bobs you need to keep on you, but also strong enough that you can fill it up with food or whatever if you go shopping..

sorry Dutch - old, smelly socks are NOT immune to thieves! When on a campsite near Chartres I had manky socks and my microtowel nicked off the drying line!
On my first Camino at the municipal in Burgos I went to retrieve my stuff off the drying line just in time to see some guy un-clipping my micro-towel off the line. He was quite startled when I walked up and told him it was mine.
Those towels are quite handy and useful. It would have sucked to lose it.

One thing that makes it a bit more difficult for people to nick things off the line is using safety pins instead of clothes pins.

Joe says the only thing he's ever had stolen was by Freda the hospitalera at Hospital Orbigo.
He says she stole his heart! lol!
I'd have to say the same about Marina at San Anton.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On my first Camino at the municipal in Burgos I went to retrieve my stuff off the drying line just in time to see some guy un-clipping my micro-towel off the line. He was quite startled when I walked up and told him it was mine.
Those towels are quite handy and useful. It would have sucked to lose it.

Same thing happened with me, but as the person said he thought it was his, I did not feel too funny about it. Just took note then began using my micro towel as a bed curtain!

In Leon, a friend had her entire mochila stolen, so I have a stamp from the Leon estacion de policia. I was glad to be the one delivering the narrative in Castilian, as my friend did not know Spanish language.

I'm sure some of you remember my post about the albergue in Leon, where things apparently are frequently stolen. It was a really trying 24-hour period. It was also a dirty place with lots of icy standing water in the bathroom and shower, but be grateful! ;)

Honestly though--passport, money, credit cards, electronics, sunnies on your person at all times, EVEN and probably ESPECIALLY while you are in the shower. Get a waterproof bag to take into the shower for your things. Works great.

Same thing happened with me, but as the person said he thought it was his, I did not feel too funny about it. Just took note then began using my micro towel as a bed curtain!

In Leon, a friend had her entire mochila stolen, so I have a stamp from the Leon estacion de policia. I was glad to be the one delivering the narrative in Castilian, as my friend did not know Spanish language.

I'm sure some of you remember my post about the albergue in Leon, where things apparently are frequently stolen. It was a really trying 24-hour period. It was also a dirty place with lots of icy standing water in the bathroom and shower, but be grateful! ;)

Honestly though--passport, money, credit cards, electronics, sunnies on your person at all times, EVEN and probably ESPECIALLY while you are in the shower. Get a waterproof bag to take into the shower for your things. Works great.
Not sure what the guy's intent was with my micro-towel. He just handed it to me while looking down at the ground and shuffled away. As far as I remember it was the only mocha brown, extra-large sized micro-towel on the line, so I doubt it was a case of mistaken identity, ha ha.
I'm always concerned that future pilgrims reading these threads may get too overly concerned and may be put off from walking the Camino. I hope nobody does that. I'm speaking only for myself, but I just don't like the prospect of anyone being taken advantage of, so if an experience told prevents it just happening once, it was worth telling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the guy's intent was with my micro-towel. He just handed it to me while looking down at the ground and shuffled away. As far as I remember it was the only mocha brown, extra-large sized micro-towel on the line, so I doubt it was a case of mistaken identity, ha ha.
I'm always concerned that future pilgrims reading these threads may get too overly concerned and may be put off from walking the Camino. I hope nobody does that. I'm speaking only for myself, but I just don't like the prospect of anyone being taken advantage of, so if an experience told prevents it just happening once, it was worth telling.
Darn it, there is always that guy or girl who tries to pull fast one. Fortunately, you were able to recover it before it actually disappeared! Nice.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Folks don't magically become honest simply because they are walking the CDS. They are, and remain, a representation of society in general. So, sadly, yet realistically, theft happens. As a previous poster said he even lost some used toenail clippers! Boots, walking poles, backpacks, phone chargers, etc all are taken. Nothing is safe. Thats the fact. So, the security we seek is not so much in the fortification of the things we have, but, may be found in the realization that the burden we carry worrying and protecting our things is too heavy to carry. As I walk the CDS, this is one of many stones I plan to leave on the trail. Until that time; When you leave your boots, use the laces to tie your hiking poles to the boots(both laces), take a silnylon shower bag(or a ziplock) and take you phone, passport IN the shower with you, use a piece of spectra cord and tie one end to the shoulder strap(or frame) of your pack and loop it around the bedframe, or while outside to a rail/pole, etc, and attach a carabiner to the other end. Lock the backpack by attaching the carabiner to one of the loops (or make a loop inside using spectracord) inside your pack. Zip it shut. This "lock" works very well-spectra is a real bear to cut, and it weighs next to nothing. Use a real brite pink or dayglo green paint and color your phone charger.

This thread really points out the differences of our personalities, & how we view what is important to us. It is also the strength of the forum.
Being that as a species we can adjust & overcome adversity all I ask is that you keep a soft heart for those who digress from social norms.

This thread really points out the differences of our personalities, & how we view what is important to us. It is also the strength of the forum.
Being that as a species we can adjust & overcome adversity all I ask is that you keep a soft heart for those who digress from social norms.
Oh, here comes that soft heart! Hey, MTto, you have to get back to Spain! When are you heading back?

Folks don't magically become honest simply because they are walking the CDS. They are, and remain, a representation of society in general. So, sadly, yet realistically, theft happens. As a previous poster said he even lost some used toenail clippers! Boots, walking poles, backpacks, phone chargers, etc all are taken. Nothing is safe. Thats the fact. So, the security we seek is not so much in the fortification of the things we have, but, may be found in the realization that the burden we carry worrying and protecting our things is too heavy to carry. As I walk the CDS, this is one of many stones I plan to leave on the trail. Until that time; When you leave your boots, use the laces to tie your hiking poles to the boots(both laces), take a silnylon shower bag(or a ziplock) and take you phone, passport IN the shower with you, use a piece of spectra cord and tie one end to the shoulder strap(or frame) of your pack and loop it around the bedframe, or while outside to a rail/pole, etc, and attach a carabiner to the other end. Lock the backpack by attaching the carabiner to one of the loops (or make a loop inside using spectracord) inside your pack. Zip it shut. This "lock" works very well-spectra is a real bear to cut, and it weighs next to nothing. Use a real brite pink or dayglo green paint and color your phone charger.
Great advice - especially about painting the charger! Thanks. Sue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It would be naive to think theft didn't happen on the Camino, but I think overall, it's a rather rare occasion, compared to other places with so many people around. I remember in the Tosantos albergue, someone had left a considerable amount of money on their bed/sleeping bag while being away. Nothing happened. Several times, people thought something might have been stolen, only to find it somewhere down in their backpack or under their bed later...

I think one lesson to learn is, as others said already, don't carry anything you can't afford to lose - apart from passport ect, of course. I managed to lose a hiking boot, of all things (not stolen, really lost it, haha!), but well, I had another pair of shoes in my backpack to replace it... if not, would have bought a new pair. That's life, things come and go, as do people. The Camino can teach you a lot about not getting too attached to anything.

Doesn't mean you should be reckless, though. When I stayed in the Sarria municipal albergue, apparently someone tried to steal my handbag (with money, passport, phone ect) while I was standing right beside! I do not carry much money and the phone was old, but still would have been a problem. I had put the bag onto my bed, while I was putting the sheets on. So, the bag was right next to me on the rear end of the bed, and I only turned towards the pillow... when I turned to the other side again, a guy I didn't know had my bag in his hand. He put it back on the bed immediately, claiming he only wanted to help me put the sheets on.... sure, you need my handbag for that, thanks :rolleyes: That person also later mocked me when I politely asked them not to party in the dormitory while others tried to sleep. Lovely!

But I prefer to think of the good people - the girl who gave me a spare towel after I lost mine, the angel who carried something I forgot in Leon all the way to Finisterre to give it back to me, the people offering medicine and sweets and oranges when I got sick; the young man who carried an elderly man's backpack when that man had fallen and had trouble walking, the person who found someone's lost phone and carried it until they found the owner, ect ect. Not to speak about all the great hospitaleros and hospitaleras...

Focus on the good things. The Camino is well known for those, and much less for crime :)

Last edited:
I've been a hospitalera a couple of times, and it's had an effect on how I behave as a pilgrim.
When I am staying in an albergue and I see someone's left something valuable out in plain sight, I tuck it inside his belongings. He might freak out for a minute, but he'll find it. If I just leave it alone, it might "vanish" for real.
I often drive home from Carrion de los Condes along the 17 km "Road to Nowhere." I sometimes offer drinks or rides to flagging pilgrims, or offer to take their packs forward to Calzadilla. It's always interesting to watch their faces as they consider the offer.
Through the years, there are a lot fewer "yes" answers, a whole lot more fear and suspicion. It is sad. I think it may be because people are carrying a lot more "valuable" stuff nowadays, and they cannot let themselves be separated from it.
Or they're just scared.

I most feared losing my passport. But when it was stolen it wasn't that bad. I didn't even get a replacement till I got back to UK - the crime sheet from the police acts as a passport in all campsites, post offices etc and the ferry let us on after a few questions to test our 'englishness' (my welsh husband passed!) Far worse was losing our pilgrim passports (irreplaceable) our Compostelas (eternally grateful to Pilgrim office for sending replacements) and our photos (gone forever).
Now I know the most important thing to fear losing - is my sense of humour....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried my US Passport, my CDS 'passport', my money and my Credit Cards in a zippered waterproof pouch that I carried in my pocket. About day 7ish I was carrying my clothes down stairs at a Hostel(private) and musta dropped the whole thing on the ground. I noticed it was missing about an hour later. I started that cold sweat panic thing that we all do and literally ran to the Host. She just smiled and handed me my pouch saying that 'someone' had found it and brought it to her. These are the acts of kindness that draw me to this pilgrimage. Its as if God taps you on the shoulder every now and then and says Gotcha.

Or maybe, Reb, they are just trying to be "good" pilgrims (unlike me) and carry their own burdens. Looking forward to walking to your place next time!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.