• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Security of baggage on luggage transfer?

skotzko

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022: Frances + Primitivo
Starting CF tomorrow from SJPP. Coming from Bayonne, but have been traveling awhile, so I have a bunch of non-Camino stuff with me. I'm going to need to use the luggage transfer companies to send it ahead and then hold it.

Are there any concerns with security of baggage with these companies? One of my non-Camino bags has my laptop etc in it.

Luggage transfer plan:
  1. Express Bourricot from SJPP to Roncesvalles
  2. Jacotrans from Roncesvalles to Pamplona
  3. Correos from Pamplona to León (will be stopping there for a few days)
  4. Correos from León to Santiago, where I'll get it at the end.
Anyone see issues with that? Thank you! Excited to start my walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting CF tomorrow from SJPP. Coming from Bayonne, but have been traveling awhile, so I have a bunch of non-Camino stuff with me. I'm going to need to use the luggage transfer companies to send it ahead and then hold it.

Are there any concerns with security of baggage with these companies? One of my non-Camino bags has my laptop etc in it.

Luggage transfer plan:
Ive used pack transport, but I never leave anything in it that would seriously inconvenience me.
I carry important stuff in a day pack. (for me important stuff is documents, medication, phone/charger etc)

Have never heard of anyone losing anything while using the pack transport companies. The company would go out of business if items in their care started disappearing. However, didn’t really know of people who had a valuable laptop in pack transport.

You know they are going to throw the packs around right? How well protected is that laptop?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have never heard of anyone losing anything while using the pack transport companies. The company would go out of business if items in their care started disappearing. However, didn’t really know of people who had a valuable laptop in pack transport.

You know they are going to throw the packs around right? How well protected is that laptop?
Actually they lost my whole backpack. For several hours that is.
Whilst the driver was inside collecting packs from an albergue they left the van doors open, someone reached in grabbed 3 of the address envelopes containing the money.
So by the end of the day they had 3 backpacks with no delivery address.
Took a lot of phoning but eventually got it back.

Express Bouricott for 2 stages (SJ Orisson Roncesvalles) then started using (and still am currently) NCS and plan to continue to use them all the way to SdC
No issues at all

Got it. This is not for my day to day Camino gear. This is for the long term stuff that I don't actually want with me at all.

What I actually want to do is have Correos transfer and store way at 2 destination (León, where I'll need it for a few days break, then on to Santiago while I walk rest) for a few weeks. Bourricot & Jacotrans are just to get the items to the first Correos office on CF in Pamplona.

Is there a better way to do this? Fundamentally what I'm trying to do is unload my non-Camino gear into storage for a few weeks while I walk.

Express Bouricott for 2 stages (SJ Orisson Roncesvalles) then started using (and still am currently) NCS and plan to continue to use them all the way to SdC
No issues at all
NCS = ?

I have used Correos to send a bag from Itun to Santiago and found their service to be excellent.
I received an initial email after I dropped it off in Irun and another one the very next day telling me that it had already been delivered.

It strikes me that if you must send on stuff including your laptop, then use Correos, registered post. That way you can track your package. I understand that Correos will store packages for one month, so it looks as if you will be safe enough sending to your Leon destination/post office, and again to Santiago Correos. All the best.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Got it. This is not for my day to day Camino gear. This is for the long term stuff that I don't actually want with me at all.

What I actually want to do is have Correos transfer and store way at 2 destination (León, where I'll need it for a few days break, then on to Santiago while I walk rest) for a few weeks. Bourricot & Jacotrans are just to get the items to the first Correos office on CF in Pamplona.

Is there a better way to do this? Fundamentally what I'm trying to do is unload my non-Camino gear into storage for a few weeks while I walk.
Perhaps you can send it to Ivar?
There are enough posts here to tell you how
Buen camino

Express Bourricot from SJPP....all the way to Santiago ( they go every 2-3weeks direct and will tell you at the SJPP office when the next shipment will occur ). I suggest, as others have, to pick up some "Saran Wrap" or similar to encase the luggage. I plan on this service in September for a 'surf board bag' and teck items ( returning from competition in England ).

I always use Jacotrans on the Camino Frances: never a problem in 7 years! Now , from Sarria onwards, Mochilla Express seems to have taken over the last part (and they charge 4 Euros per stage).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but we shipped 5 big suitcases direct to Santiago from SJPP
No problem ask around in St Jean and you can find the place That is what we did everyone pointed us in the right direction and to the same place. The Girl who ran the office said "I'm going to do you the biggest favor of the camino and ship your back packs to Ronsavalles for no charge so you can enjoy the scenery on the first day" Made the first day much more pleasurable on my 69 year old bones. Maybe this is a little pay back for her. they can ship them to any destination.

Luggage transfer plan:
RE: your laptop. I’m sure everything will be ok but I’d back everything to the cloud if you have that option

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife has been using Correos on this entire trip and they have been FANTASTIC!!!!!

I am using Correos on the Aragones. The prices!!!!
  • From Santa Cilia to Sangüesa with four stages, €50
  • From Tiebas to Puente la Reina with one stage, €25

Luggage transfer plan:
Luggage transfer is secure since it is assumed there is nothing of real value. A laptop does not fit that criteria.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back