• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeing by not Looking

A

Anonymous

As humans we function on many levels but the two main ones are the explanatory and the experiental .. the discussions and even arguments about the existence of God are really arguments between these two perceptions of reality .. the ones who access the experiental also access the explanatory but those who function by the explanatory alone do not even believe that the experiental exists, despite literally millions of testimonies saying that it does and that it is real. ..

so I thought .. well, it is the Camino, the Pilgrimage .. plenty of sitting time, and time to be alone, to be still ... so, why not try this...

When you are in the countryside and you take a break and sit still you look at the world and see it all laid out before you in three dimensions, somewhat like one of those pop-up books that we had as children, with a series of objects, discrete from each other, further and further away.
As we look our eyes, our hunter eyes, automatically focus on anything that moves or is still but does not quite blend into the landscape .. it happens without thinking and, without our realising it, separates us from the unity of existence ... it is our hunter gatherer legacy, you cannot hunt after all unless there is a separate hunter and a separate hunted.
When we are walking, in what we think is an 'empty' landscape, it is only we who are moving - or rather, it appears that it is only we who are moving and there is the I and the other and we are alone within the other - which is why, deep in our being we are all lonely, all crave connection, all crave love - a religious would say it is being separated from God.

so .. for another way to be in the landscape, try this ... it takes a bit of doing but practise sitting still with eyes open but don't allow them to pinpoint focus on anything .. at first this is very difficult .. then we start to get it and something moves and we focus on it and have to start again ..
but, be comfortable, be silent, be still, and still the eyes from focussing - just look without looking.... when you blink your eyes will refocus but you will master it ... eventually you will perceive the landscape in a 'wholeness' that allows creatures such as birds to move through it without your eyes focussing again - at this point what you will notice is that the whole landscape will be seen to be moving - you will be aware of blades of grass moving, of crawling insects, of stirring trees .. and as this happens so too will you become aware of many noises in the landscape that you weren't aware of before and at this point you will feel that nothing is discrete from anything else, the rise and fall of your chest, the blood pumping, your own tiny movements, all one thing - all one constantly moving thing and then you will recognise that all of it - this phenomenom of existence - is one multi-formed thing of which you are an indivisible part - and you are then aware that you are what the Hindu name "not One, not Two"

This is not eyes closed concentrate on breathing meditation, this is eyes open utterly relaxed total concentration ... this is not the Buddhist separation from the world because it is not permanent, this is deep connection with a created universe ...

At this experiental level of existence all the questions disappear ... and the God argument disappears too ... but then something moves fast and your eyes focus and there you are again, separate and alone - but still smiling.

Just a Camino sitting tip .. you will sit many times and it takes practise - don't stress to do it, relax to do it - or, do it by not doing it . ... you cannot do it if you are with someone who chatters .... :wink:

Once you learn the technique you could then try it sitting in a refugio garden with your back against a warm wall .. with pilgrims interacting with each other ......

and if you are not celibate and have a partner when you get home your lovemaking will be like nothing you could have expected it could ever be - :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"The echo of the completely empty valley bears tidings heard from the soundless sound." This is something that can by no means be heard with the ear. If conceptions and discriminations are not mixed within it and it is quite apart from seeing, hearing, perceiving, and knowing, and if, while walking, standing, sitting, and reclining, you proceed straightforwardly without interruption in the study of this koan, you will suddenly pluck out the karmic root of birth and death and break down the cave of ignorance. Thus you will attain to a peace in which the phoenix has left the golden net and the crane has been set free of the basket. At this time the basis of mind, consciousness, and emotion is suddenly shattered; the realm of illusion with its endless sinking in the cycle of birth and death is overturned. The treasure accumulation of the Three Bodies and the Four Wisdoms is taken away, and the miraculous realms of the Six Supernatural Powers and Three Insights is transcended. Yabukoji

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, and if you click your heels three times repeating the sacred phrase you will return home...sarcasm is a real weakness of mine, but it is also a weak attempt at humor. Falcon, I read it, but the terminology does not relate to any point of reference I possess. Though it sounds interesting.

The amount of material that has been written about enlightenment is astounding. Each culture possesses some teaching (often many) about man moving beyond this existence to a higher state of being. Within Christianity we find St. Athanasius of Alexandria describing theosis in a bold way, "God became man so that man might become God." There are a multitude of different ways to describe it, but they all lead to man becoming better, finding greater peace, joy, and happiness.

Brother David's words are focusing on a similar concept but changes the focus from immortality to mortality. Though I think it certainly is more esoteric (moving to a more hyperactive sense of awareness), fundamentally it counsels to move beyond our current state to a higher nature.

Thank both of you for sharing different concepts for a similar process. Now, I just have to find those red shoes. :D

Cheers,

Michael

Another way of seeing the mortality/immortality focus might be to see Br. David's undertaking as leading us to be at one with manifest creation - and Christ's being within it - whilst perceiving that our true being is beyond what we can reach with our sense-perception.
Within those limits, I thought it might be an exercise worth pursuing.
chinacat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
China, and what do we call a higher state of being or higher state of perception.......yes, that is right, to become more like God. If not, then logic demands that God does not possess this degree os perception.

This is sort of a meaningless conversation because we are splitting hairs.

"God became man so that man might become God."

Michael
I'm sorry my post caused you to think I was arguing with you - for me, this quote holds wide and far-reaching significance.
I don't really understand why you think we are 'splitting hairs'.
chinacat

No problems China. We are not arguing. We are interpreting Dave's initial edit. Perception is as varied as there are individuals.

I am still trying to find that sparkley red shoes. I have been turning around all day, but haven't found the shoes. I am sure if I stopped, squint slightly, not focus on anything, they will pop out of the ether and I can try them on...dang that penchant for sarcasm.

Splitting hairs is another way to say that the discussion is unproductive; that we aren't really saying anything; or better yet, that the topic is without merit, which was my meaning. Cheers,

Michael

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
that we aren't really saying anything; or better yet, that the topic is without merit, which was my meaning.

With the greatest respect (not meant sarcastically) I do not agree with you.

chinacat

PS Do you know what you'd do with the sparkly red shoes if you found them ? :wink:

Well, first of all if I found those red shoes I suspect I would have a difficult time cramming my fat feet into them. I have always envisioned them as being only for dainty feet; mine are more of those short, squarish ones thought best belonging to Cromagnon man. However, once I found them, I would be twirling up a storm thinking that surely they would take me home if I only click them three times.

This type of format is very difficult to discuss serious matters. Your comments, IMHO, would demonstrate that you took David's comments at face value. I took them and extrapolated it to a logical conclusion. Is one better than the other? Of course not. I don't believe that this is an area where judgment applies; our perceptions simple are in different areas. Attempting to split this hair is without merit.

On the other hand, Theosis is a fascinating topic, but one which David did not consciously intend to discuss. The Eastern Church fathers never stopped talking about it whereas within the Western church is seem to lose its value beginning in the 8th century. Regardless, it never ceased existence, doctrinal value, or teaching. My personal belief is that it is of infinite importance because it focuses (sorry David, but this is an occasion where you really need to focus) the relationship of the individual with God. I am reminded of Christ's prayer that his disciples become one as he and the Father are one. That we might one taste feel that union in any degree is a joy I humbly strive to embrace. I fall comically short, repeatedly, but it is a process that begins and ends with one step. Much like the Camino, we must begin to become like Christ one step at a time. His command was to "be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect," was not given idly, but with the understanding that we begin one small step. I am not adequate to do justice in explaining the concept, but I hope that you get the gist of it.

I dislike contention and where possible I choose to deflect it. Things lose merit for me in many ways; contention being one of them, but also topics that I personally deem a little...out there or of dubious nature. For me, David was getting a little out there. Anytime we begin to discuss a hypersensitivity on the Camino and one's sex life (for goodness sake why would they be discussed in the same topic?), I pretty much think the individual is getting into some pretty odd ground. But, hey, if it works for him great. I seem to recall that the Apache achieved a higher state of perception by using peyote, but I would not recommend it. I have begun to babble so I will close.

Chinacat, may you be blessed with His Spirit on your Camino and may you see all that He is on the Way.

Michael

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anytime we begin to discuss a hypersensitivity on the Camino and one's sex life (for goodness sake why would they be discussed in the same topic?), I pretty much think the individual is getting into some pretty odd ground. But, hey, if it works for him great. I seem to recall that the Apache achieved a higher state of perception by using peyote, but I would not recommend it.

Actually, (pace Br. David) I ignored that part of his post.
And I do agree that being blissed out, away with the fairies etc. is as bad as being too bound to the material (in all its manifestations - often almost impossible to perceive).

It is, I would agree, very difficult to discuss these matters in any way which could do justice to them, on a forum. But I will try Br. David's exercise - otherwise how can I evaluate it ?

There is much in your post that rings true for me.

Thank you for your good wishes for the Camino - I wish the same for you.
Chinacat

Something I have found on the Camino is that if you visualise something that you need it will appear. The Law of Attraction, I suppose. The trick is being ready...and "listening" very carefully. The rest seems to get done without you having to do very much.
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Priscillian said:
The trick is being ready...and "listening" very carefully. The rest seems to get done without you having to do very much.

Like opening a book and finding something you really need - often without consciously knowing beforehand that you did need it.
perhaps it all comes down to trust ?
chinacat

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back