• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeing the Altamira Cave & Museum from Santillana del Mar

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We are staying one extra night in Santillana del Mar so that we can attempt to visit the Altamira Cave and Museum. We undertsand that it would be a visit of the replica cave.
From Google maps, it looks like it is only 30 minutes walk away. We will be there on a Wednesday in September 2018.
We have had a look at the official museum website.
Is it an easy walk to the museum? Should be buy our tickets in advance? We would be grateful for any advice/tips/opinions.
Thank you!
Cheers
Andrew

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We visited the Caves of Altamira on the first Wednesday in May of this year. We got there at a quarter til noon to buy our tickets there (3€), and got into the very next group to enter, no problems.

We drove, but as for the walk, it looks like the first little bit right after you leave Santillana del Mar may not have a sidewalk, but quite shortly thereafter there is a sidewalk, and later a nice wide dirt path next to the road on the final approach to the museum that has some incredible views of the valley. It's slightly uphill going there, but nothing too steep, as I recall.

Santillana del Mar is a charming place, and the Cave - even though it's a replica - is still pretty awe inspiring. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

We bought our entry tickets in Santander on our way through. This gives you a timed ticket for your chosen day and avoids the first queue. You can by them in the Bank of Santander on the main street facing the park and the bay. I think they may also be available at other branches of this bank. (It might be worth checking if this is still possible)
It is about half an hour or so uphill to the museum. We took a taxi up as it was raining hard, but walked back. Once in the museum second queue you get a time for the visit to the 'new cave' (ie the reproduction) so have time maybe to look around the museum first, depending on the timing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's not a particularly hard walk for someone who has been on the Camino already. Most people (tourists) drive or come by bus, but walking is pleasant--unless raining, I suppose :) We went at opening time and had no problem getting in quickly.

If you are interested in the prehistoric caves such as the Altamira, you might also want to consider seeing the Tito Bustillo caves in Ribadesella (it sounds like you're planning to walk the Norte?)Unlike Altamira, they are the original item. It was an easy walk from where I stayed in Ribadesella to get to the caves for the tour. The tour was in rapid-fire Spanish but it was still worth it IMHO for the visual experience. Tickets are available online on advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are interested in the prehistoric caves such as the Altamira, you might also want to consider seeing the Tito Bustillo caves in Ribadesella (it sounds like you're planning to walk the Norte?)Unlike Altamira, they are the original item. It was an easy walk from where I stayed in Ribadesella to get to the caves for the tour. The tour was in rapid-fire Spanish but it was still worth it IMHO for the visual experience. Tickets are available online on advance.

Thank you Intrepidtraveler! We're walking from Nueva into Ribadesella, so hopefully we will have time to visit the caves.
The website seems to indicate that entrance is free on a Wednesday, and we're walking to Ribadesella on a Wednesday :)
And thank you to everybody who answered my question on Altamira!
Cheers
Andrew

If you really like paleolithic art (like I do!) there are a couple of other caves in the district that you can visit and see the real thing: handprints, painted horses, bison, etc. at Puente Vieja: the two I refer to are Cueva de los Monedas and Cueva del Castillo. You'd have to figure a bus ride or other transport, but it's not very far at all from Santillana, we did them all on the same day. Info here: http://cuevas.culturadecantabria.com/

If you really like paleolithic art (like I do!) there are a couple of other caves in the district that you can visit and see the real thing: handprints, painted horses, bison, etc. at Puente Vieja: the two I refer to are Cueva de los Monedas and Cueva del Castillo. You'd have to figure a bus ride or other transport, but it's not very far at all from Santillana, we did them all on the same day. Info here: http://cuevas.culturadecantabria.com/

Thank you Rebekah, that's awesome info.
We have a full day at Santillana del Mar, so we'll try to do this.
Did you take a bus, or a taxi?
Cheers
Andrew

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back