• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Seeing the blood moon on Camino

metfan

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie. Going end of September to early Oct
We are currently walking the Camino and are in Arzua. We want to try to see the blood moon tonight. Anyone know when and where we can do this? Is it safe to get up and walk the Camino in the dark? We are loving our experience. Thank you .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For most of Europe the eclipse times will be Monday 28, September from 02:11 to 07:22. Maximum eclipse will be at 04:47 am. It might be spectacular to view just east of Arzua on the river at Ribadixo da Baxio...I'll also be watching on our French hillside here in Champagne.

Happy viewing!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If the weather is clear and not too cold surely people will watch. If you are in an albergue ask others to join you but be certain that you can get out and back in when you wish. Even from the central plaza in Arzua adjacent to the church you should have a fine view of the sky. Wear your woolies!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will! Have you ever walked the Camino during an eclipse? We hope to get up early and walk while the blood moon is overhead. Do you think this is safe?

I will! Have you ever walked the Camino during an eclipse?

We were lucky enough to have a partial solar eclipse the day after we arrived in SdC last March. The square outside the Cathedral was packed with people watching! It was great!

Ron and Michele

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So you think other people will get up early to walk and see the eclipse? We just don't want to be totally alone on the Camino.

Could you please post something to describe the experience? The regular full moon on the Camino is so spectacular I can only imagine what this will be like.

This hasn't happened in 33 years, and it won't occur again for another 18.
Be sure not to miss tonight’ssupermoon eclipse by watching live footage here at TIME.com, beginning at 7:11 p.m. ET (00:11 GMT) and extending into Monday morning.

The supermoon eclipse results from the rare combination of a lunar eclipse, a point in the moon’s orbit when it is closest to the earth, and the full moon closest to the fall equinox — all at once. In other words, this is a total eclipse of a super-harvest-blood-moon. It hasn’t happened in 33 years, and it won’t occur again for another 18.

The eclipse will be visible to the naked eye, and the different phases will altogether be over four hours long. The eclipse will take place in stages, with first the penumbral eclipse, when the earth blocks the moon with the outer part of its shadow, then the partial eclipse, and then the full eclipse, when the earth completely blocks the moon from the sun’s light. The darkened moon may appear red during the period of total eclipse in the middle of the event

The eclipse will be visible to the naked eye, and the different phases will altogether be over four hours long. The eclipse will take place in stages, with first the penumbral eclipse, when the earth blocks the moon with the outer part of its shadow, then the partial eclipse, and then the full eclipse, when the earth completely blocks the moon from the sun’s light. The darkened moon may appear red during the period of total eclipse in the middle of the event.

If you cannot get to a spot with a moon view, or prefer not to spend almost five hours outside tonight, you can watch the full lunar event here via live stream. The stages of the the supermoon eclipse are at the following times:

Penumbral Eclipse begins — 00:11 GMT

Partial Eclipse begins — 01:07 GMT

Full Eclipse begins — 2:11 GMT

Maximum Eclipse — 2:47 GMT

Full Eclipse ends — 3:23 GMT

Partial Eclipse ends — 4:27 GMT

Penumbral Eclipse ends — 5:22 GMT

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
path-760.png

Entire eclipse visible from start to end.(red and dark blue area)

Entire partial and total phases visible. Misses part of penumbral phase.(dark blue and purple)

Some of the total phase visible. Misses part of total, partial & penumbral phases.(light blue and purple)

Some of the partial phase visible. Misses total phase and part of partial & penumbral phases.(light blue and purple)

Some of the penumbral phase visible. Misses total & partial phases.(light blue and light purple)

Eclipse not visible at all.(white and light blue area)

Note: Areas with lighter shadings left (West) of the center will experience the eclipse after moonrise/sunset. Areas with lighter shadings right (East) of the center will experience the eclipse until moonset/sunrise. Actual eclipse visibility depends on weather conditions and line of sight to the Moon.

For us it begins @ 2000hrs so it wI'll be dark so we are hoping no clouds. So far so good!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We got up at 4 and it was so dark and nobody was out. We went back out and started our journey at 5. It was dark but beautiful. I think we missed the very beginning but we walked under the moon for quite a while. So beautiful. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was out walking or looking. I was surprised. It was a bit scary in the dark in the woods with nobody around but such an experience. I took photos but the ones in the dark did not come out well. We reached our destination early and are now relaxing. It was wonderful walking as the sun came up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 40
Many believe this eclipse was significant as it marks the completion of an unusual line-up of four total eclipses at six-monthly intervals known as a "tetrad".

Texan pastor and author John Hagee says this has only happened three times in the past 500 years and claimed it is likely to herald a "hugely significant" world event.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I couldn't view the Eclipse from my home ... trees in the way ... so I drove out & up to a clearing & there she was ... it was a dark moon ... Grandmother is beautiful any way she comes ... she fills me up with the most magnificent feeling ... I am honored to be in Her Presence ... what a blessing & gift ... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I got up this morning and walked across the Meseta watching the full progress of the eclipse and then much later, the sunrise. Days walk completed by 8:00am and plenty of time to explore :).

I got up this morning and walked across the Meseta watching the full progress of the eclipse and then much later, the sunrise. Days walk completed by 8:00am and plenty of time to explore :).

I can well imagine being on the Meseta watching the changes myself...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Had a great time last night watching the supermoon eclipse from the front of my home with clear skies. Had to make some time to watch the big event last night. The last big event happened in 1982, but I can' remember that one, the next won't occur until 2033. Good luck watching the next big event.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Had a great time last night watching the supermoon eclipse from the front of my home with clear skies. Had to make some time to watch the big event last night. The last big event happened in 1982, but I can' remember that one, the next won't occur until 2033. Good luck watching the next big event.
A wonderful goal to make it when I am 73 on the Camino:cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back