• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeing the ocean between Muxia and Finisterre

peregrina2000

Staff member
On my last walk from Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre (see santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia/topic14568.html), I noted that right after the bar in Lires, there was a sign pointing to a cafe on the beach in Lires.

A km or two later, I saw another sign, where the "detour" to the Lires beach joins back up with the main camino between Muxia and Fisterre.

Has anyone taken this slight detour? One of the few disappointments of the Muxia-Fisterre walk is the fact that aside from the first km or two out of Muxia, you are never on or near the beach. I did take a detour off the camino to get to a beach last time, and it was beautiful (huge beach, no people, crashing waves, blue sky) but it wound up putting me on asphalt for way too many kms, so I'd like to avoid that.

If anyone has taken this little side trip at Lires, let us know. Or are there other ways to get to the water?

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The beloved and I took the detour via Lires beach and the rather delightful bar/cafe that perches above it. Although the route is mainly tarmac there is very little traffic and the road peters out not far beyond the headland.

I remember it with affection and the people in the bar were pleased to be making that essential "con leche" despite the early hour.

Hi Laurie!

I think I also visited the cafe you mentioned and, if so, it was/is well-worth it, although I came from Finisterre, on my way to Muxia. Even so, there was still a detour that first didn't look like it was a good idea (and I even turned around and started walking back), but something made me turn back again and go to Lires after all. It was one of my favorite parts of the day and I took a long break watching the ocean and having lunch. The people at the cafe, indeed, were super friendly and kind-- I specifically remember noticing that.

Michal
--
https://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Laurie! Lires has its own little beach (on the Fisterra side of the river) and there is a restaurant perched just above it which is inexpensive and has a great view of Praia Nemiña across the river. You only have to walk a couple of hundred metres along the river to its mouth. If you really want to see the sea and don´t mind walking about a 7 klm round trip you can go towards Touriñan and see the REAL most westerly point in Spain. Nothing there but the lighthouse, you, the gulls and the ocean. One of my favourite trips to take my pilgrims.
Hope we are gonna meet up!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back