• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking a mid-layer clothing recommendation for Primitivo (September 15 - Sept 28)

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
I'm looking for a good mid layer (fleece or synthetic jacket) that is lightweight and packable, and could handle the unpredictable weather elements (cold mornings and in higher elevation, heavy wind, etc.) of the Asturias portion of the Primitivo (for me, around September 15-21). I'm planning to wear a merino base layer, and I have a rain jacket shell.

It would be great if it could double as an outer layer if I'm out at night in the larger cities, visit a museum during a rest day, etc.

I own a Patagonia Micro D fleece but I'm not sure if it will cut it.

I see average weather temperatures for that week in September, but it would be great to hear from someone who has walked around that time.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will take my Arcteryx Atom LT for that purpose on the CF in May/June. I am more and more thinking about taking the lighter SL version instead since it is plenty warm. Not sure what it will come to, but i like both jackets for their versatility. They do come at a steep price however.

I was going to recommend the Patagonia Micro D fleece until I saw you already have it.
It hits all the buttons you mention: lightweight, packable, and versatile.
It also washes easily and dries quickly.

For me it's the perfect solution for unpredictable weather situations like the ones you describe.
It can be worn by itself if it's warmer and layers wonderfully if you need to add layers over or under it.
(It helps that mine is a size larger than I need - a nice benefit of some pre-Camino training weight loss.)

A merino base layer with maybe a Uniqlo Heat-Tech long sleeve undershirt underneath the Patagonia and a light/midweight windbreaker or rain shell over it (I like the barely-there Patagonia Houdini, but your rain jacket would work just as well or better) will keep you comfortable in a wide range of temps and wind conditions.
And you will be keeping your pack weight down versus replacing that Micro D with something heavier.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My usual layers for anticipated cold weather are a heavy (260) long - sleeve 1/4 zip Icebreaker turtleneck, a light fleece jacket which also serves as a dress jacket for the occasional night out, a light rain shell, light fleece gloves, a buff, and a light fleece skull cap. I avoid puffy jackets as once wet they are hard to dry. These layers in various combinations got me through some cold windy days in 2021. They also served to beef up my light sleeping sac.

My rain gear is a poncho. The light Goretex rain jacket is more for breaking the wind on a cold day and as rain wear for the airport travel stages. The heavy Icebreaker 260 turtleneck can be slow to wash and dry but is relatively stinkfree so can be laundered when you have a dry sunny afternoon.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a good mid layer (fleece or synthetic jacket) that is lightweight and packable, and could handle the unpredictable weather elements (cold mornings and in higher elevation, heavy wind, etc.) of the Asturias portion of the Primitivo (for me, around September 15-21). I'm planning to wear a merino base layer, and I have a rain jacket shell.

It would be great if it could double as an outer layer if I'm out at night in the larger cities, visit a museum during a rest day, etc.

I see average weather temperatures for that week in September, but it would be great to hear from someone who has walked around that time. It weights 140 g or so and I use it as a pillow too.

I love my lightweight uniqlo down jacket. Have had it for 11 years and wear it all the time. It weighs 140 g or so and I use it as a pillow too.

I see average weather temperatures for that week in September, but it would be great to hear from someone who has walked around that time.

I bought a down jacket with a hood. Then wear a waterproof breatheable rain jacket over it, on the Primativo it worked great. Especially since some of the albergues did not have heat so I just wore my down jacket to bed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Another vote for a down jacket. I own and love a Montbell. Good value! While it’s true you don’t want to get them wet, thats not a hard thing to avoid. Can’t beat the warmth to weight ratio.

Do not think of warmth as the responsibility of only your insulative layer. Every bit of clothing, from rain gear to baselayers will add to the effective temperature range of your mid-layer.

You do not mention all of the clothing you are carrying, or experience level. If needed, maybe this will give you an idea of what might work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack for early spring thru late fall.. In addition to it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same inventory that I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- Running shorts with liner
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- zPacks or Frogg Toggs Ultralite Poncho
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds/1.54 Kg

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts and a lightweight, long sleeved synthetic shirt. All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 30 f / -1 C to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going..

Is there really a breathable rain jacket? I have a northface venture 2 and whenever I wear an insulating layer (Fleece or Nano puff) I’m soaked with sweat after awhile. Jacket has pitzips but I was hoping for better results

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tend to use a raincape, Nanosil Sea to Summit and wear a merino and if necessary a light fleece under that.
There is nothing worse than a gortex jacket in the late spring/summer season.

Is there really a breathable rain jacket? I have a northface venture 2 and whenever I wear an insulating layer (Fleece or Nano puff) I’m soaked with sweat after awhile. Jacket has pitzips but I was hoping for better results

No. In all of my gear testing, there has never been a rain jacket to date that I have been able to say is a guarantee that this issue will not happen.

There are Water Proof/Breathable (WP/B) rain jackets that are more breathable than others, but nothing will overcome the production of water vapor if it reaches a high enough level. Lack of air circulation, temperature, physical exertion all play a part in how functional the breathability of the laminate or the material will be. The very fact that a backpack sits directly on the rain jacket, pressing it against the body interferes with the ability of water vapor to escape, which develops sweat condensation.

That said, there are folks who will be able to use a rain jacket for longer period of time than others without experiencing soaking condensation.

I choose to switch to poncho use because a poncho allows the best method of maintaining air circulation as the material is kept off the body by the backpack. I can also use it on cold mornings as an additional insulation layer that is quickly removed after activity warms me up.

Also, the outer shell materials may not be a good match for the laminate layer, affecting its breathability. Or the manufacturer may have added a water repellant chemical the the outer shell that may trap water vapor inside the jacket. Those are a manufacturers issue. They may be taking lower priced shortcuts, trying to keep the prices down to the consumer. I suggest never buying a rain jacket based solely on the price of the garment.

Other considerations: If the rain jacket isn't performing as well as it used to, it could be an issue of the outer shell no longer repelling rain and wetting out, which prevents the laminate (breathable) layer from doing its job. The same holds true if the rain jacket is dirty from sweat and grime.

These issues are easily corrected by using specific products to wash and retreat the jacket (Nikwax). This will make it perform like new, and sometimes even better than new.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.