• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice for early risers-- don't hate us, we can't help it!

Suzanne Edminster

Time of past OR future Camino
Paloma-Santiago June-July 2014
I'm a natural early riser and look forward to rolling out of bed around 5 and starting out. It is torture to me to lie in a bed in the morning... I am fully awake. I would love it if you could share advice. I am a slow walker and not competititive about beds. The reservation/bed competition sounds nightmarish... I hate that feeling. I hope experienced Camino walkers can share some tips with me. I also wanted to apologize if I'm one of the ones in bed at 8. It's not because I want to beat you somewhere, even if I could. We early risers pack our 16 hours of wakefulness in early. I miss a lot socially because I just can't make it late into the night. I also love seeing dawns and towns before they wake up fully... have seen many beautiful and astonishing travel sights in the early mornings. Any comments are appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nobody hates early risers. Some of us can sometimes get a bit annoyed with early risers who talk loudly to each other and rustle with plastic bags at 5 am, or wear their head lamps so the light bounces into everyone else's eyes while they pack in the morning. The top tip is to do as much of your packing as you can the night before, and then when you get up, simply collect your stuff, take it out of the dorm and finish packing in your own time, with the light on, in one of the other communal rooms. And the rest of us late risers and late to bed-ers will try to come in as quietly as we can and leave our rustling and packing until the next morning (and try not to snore) :D Just a matter of common courtesy, really, which I am sure you have or you wouldn't have started this thread. Also, the bed race isn't as bad as it can sometimes be portrayed here. Just relax and enjoy your journey your way. I have started early myself a few times and loved the stillness of the morning before the sun came up, so you are in for a treat!

Suzanna, all you need to do is to mentally add 10 instead of 9 hrs to the time difference; it's all in the mind.
As you intend to walk in high season, the sun rises at early, getting up at 6 am will be perfect.
Now don't worry about getting a bed, you're putting yourself under unnecessary stress. I have never seen any haggling, it's first come – first serve, besides that a lady will always inspire the guys to behave like gent's. Mostly, there are alternatives in the same place; sometimes it might cost a few coins more (hostals, pensions, etc) In the very worst case, you might have to go to the next village, a few kilometres further....take a cab if you are too tired. Take it easy.
Buen Camino.

PS: Don't know where "Paloma" is (your profile), you probably plan to start in Pamplona, a beautiful town and the perfect way to enter the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you, Nidarosa. As a lifetime early riser, I've used a lot of these techniques... have things all ready to go in the morning, do prep in another room... which is why my closet isn't in the bedroom where my husband and I sleep! Do you think I could leave a pack, as long as valuables weren't in it, in another room when I went to sleep?

No, you don't have to do that. Keep it next to you, where it belongs. Nobody is expecting it to sound like there are no other people there, it's just the rustling (aaaagh, the rustling!) that makes other people annoyed. Good idea about the time difference! Take your time when you walk and all us others will catch up with you - the social stuff doesn't only happen in the evening, it happens all day, every day, walking, talking, having a coffee on the way, lining up to do our washing etc. It's all good.

No need to apologize for getting up earlier than most of the peregrinos. You really aren't bothering them all that much, and besides, they'll get over it. C'mon, it's all part of the communal living experience. Ain't nuthin but a thing.
I would have my pack ready to go the night before. As soon as I got up, I would move to an area of the albergue away from the sleepers and once there you're not bothering anybody while you get ready for the day's jaunt.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Suzanne,
Do remember that you will arrive with jetlag and this will put you back a few days to get into the new rhythm.
We usually get up between 5.30 and 6 am, because here in Costa Rica, it's already light then. HOWEVER, once I get to Spain, I tend to sleep until about 7 am, way long after I have got over my jetlag. This has happened to me on all my Caminos. You don't mention when you intend to walk, because if it's soon, yes, it's light very early, but, if it's in the Autumn, the mornings start to get light only around 8 am and the further you head West, the longer it takes for sunrise. Anne

I don't think you have any need to worry as you sound as you have both common sense and are able to show consideration to others:)

I don't think early risers are a problem... They function as my alarm clock - however I do consider people rustling their plastic bags, repacking their bag, bopping their head around with a headtorch on at 5 am to be a nuisance. I also consider people that do this at 9-10pm to be a nuisance.

Whilst we all should walk our own Camino, that should not stop us from showing some care and consideration for our fellow pilgrims, and most do:) But the ones that don't tend to leave a strong impression, may be because they stick out that much more?

And as has been mentioned - starting off early in the morning will give you the chance to see some beautiful sunrises, enjoy them:)

My problem is with the inconsiderate ones who turn on the lights, talk and pack inside the sleeping area while the rest of us are still sleeping. Also the ones who get to the albergue early and spend the rest of the afternoon sleeping with the lights off and expect you to be quiet. They also to bed early before 2000 and turn off the lights, they also complain when you turn on the lights in the sleeping room when lights out is at 2200.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Suzanne,
Do remember that you will arrive with jetlag and this will put you back a few days to get into the new rhythm.
We usually get up between 5.30 and 6 am, because here in Costa Rica, it's already light then. HOWEVER, once I get to Spain, I tend to sleep until about 7 am, way long after I have got over my jetlag. This has happened to me on all my Caminos. You don't mention when you intend to walk, because if it's soon, yes, it's light very early, but, if it's in the Autumn, the mornings start to get light only around 8 am and the further you head West, the longer it takes for sunrise. Anne
Anna what time does the sun come up in Spain in September? I have watched the first few episodes of Radio Buen Camino today and they head off in darkness. We are early risers simply because we live in the sub tropics so it is light early and we have all the windows open and no curtains so it is natural. We will also need to adjust to the late dinner so I think we will be ready to sleep later than we do here. Just wondering. Thanks

Just get up and go, as long as you dont make lots of noise or have your lights shining everywhere I do not see what the problem is. I am usually a late riser and can sleep through all the activity around me and in a strange way almost find it comforting, but I occassionaly get up at a very early time 4.30am or 5am and thats usually because i want to see the sun come up in a what I think is a special place, when I do this everything is ready to be walked out of the dorm without me looking for it, just get out of bed, pick my bag up and I am out of the dorm room. Someone might get upset but I think that says more about them than me.

Anna what time does the sun come up in Spain in September? I have watched the first few episodes of Radio Buen Camino today and they head off in darkness. We are early risers simply because we live in the sub tropics so it is light early and we have all the windows open and no curtains so it is natural. We will also need to adjust to the late dinner so I think we will be ready to sleep later than we do here. Just wondering. Thanks
Here is a link that tells the time of sun rise in Madrid. You put in the month and it gives you the time.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=141&month=9&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am an early riser as well but I don't want to walk in the darkness in the morning. So I lie quietly (hopefully) in bed waiting until enough people get up that I don't feel uncomfortable getting up and moving around. I use the time to pray and think about the coming day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sriyanta, Santiago_67 has replied for me, with the super chart attached.
Sometimes it's difficult to follow the arrows in the dark, as they might not always be placed where you expect them to be! This was the case we found on the Camino Primitivo last year. Arrows on the far side of the street, or high up on a pole, instead of on the ground or eye level.
We also try, whenever possible to have a late lunch, instead of dinner, so as not to go to bed on a full stomach.
The Italians have a super saying: "Paese che vai, usanze che trovi", which loosely translated means, you will find different customs, according to the country you are in! That's the pleasure of traveling and, in our case, being a Pilgrim in a " strange" land! It's full of surprises!:)

Annakappa. What part of Costa Rica do you live in? I live in Costa Rica for 51/2 months of the year in Potrero near Playa Flamingo. Just starting out today from home (Canada) for Spain to walk my second Camino Frances.

Jennifer, we live in Santo Domingo de Heredia. Contact me by PM when you get back. A group has now been formed near us, consisting of past Pilgrims and also future ones! There aren't many in CR!
Buen Camino! Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Suzanna, all you need to do is to mentally add 10 instead of 9 hrs to the time difference; it's all in the mind.
As you intend to walk in high season, the sun rises at early, getting up at 6 am will be perfect.
Now don't worry about getting a bed, you're putting yourself under unnecessary stress. I have never seen any haggling, it's first come – first serve, besides that a lady will always inspire the guys to behave like gent's. Mostly, there are alternatives in the same place; sometimes it might cost a few coins more (hostals, pensions, etc) In the very worst case, you might have to go to the next village, a few kilometres further....take a cab if you are too tired. Take it easy.
Buen Camino.

PS: Don't know where "Paloma" is (your profile), you probably plan to start in Pamplona, a beautiful town and the perfect way to enter the Camino.
Oh, dumb me... Pamplona, of course. Thanks for the kind words.

I remember my last night in Santiago I spent in a private albergue that did not have a curfew, so they did not lock the doors at a certain hour of the night (9:00-10:00 pm) like most of the albergues on other parts of the Camino. Which was cool. After all, it's in Santiago. The Camino's end. Peregrinos go out at night, stay late and drink, etc. There is music in the streets till the wee hours. The bars are open and people are everywhere. Anyway, it was about 10:00 pm and I was still up and was talking to a couple of other peregrinos in the albergue when we were approached by another peregrino who asked that we stop talking as she wanted to go to sleep. I thought it was funny. Like I said, we were in Santiago! Ha ha. Part of me wanted to be rude and tell her to put on some earplugs or go get a hotel room, but I decided otherwise.
I always figured that if the noises of the other peregrinos bothered me that much, I'd get a private room.

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks, Anne. Yes, I come from California and can expect jet lag.... but I know myself and suspect that soon my body alarm clock will be back on its pre-dawn setting. I am walking in high season, June 4- July 15. I never need alarm clocks... I always wake up on time nearly to the minute... don't know why!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't think you have any need to worry as you sound as you have both common sense and are able to show consideration to others:)

I don't think early risers are a problem... They function as my alarm clock - however I do consider people rustling their plastic bags, repacking their bag, bopping their head around with a headtorch on at 5 am to be a nuisance. I also consider people that do this at 9-10pm to be a nuisance.

Whilst we all should walk our own Camino, that should not stop us from showing some care and consideration for our fellow pilgrims, and most do:) But the ones that don't tend to leave a strong impression, may be because they stick out that much more?

And as has been mentioned - starting off early in the morning will give you the chance to see some beautiful sunrises, enjoy them:)
In other countries I have seen amazing dawn sights: in Turkey, the normally-invisible village women driving a herd of sheep down to the beach to wash them off in the surf--- all vanished away by 6 AM. In Italy, all of Naples turns out to meticulously clean their ancient street stoops with brooms--the gentle swish swish rising all over the city like a benediction. And again in Naples on New Year's Day at dawn, scuffing through layers of blown firecrackers piled on the streeets like leaves, with the tang of gunpowder in the air and a few late ones weaving their way home...

My problem is with the inconsiderate ones who turn on the lights, talk and pack inside the sleeping area while the rest of us are still sleeping. Also the ones who get to the albergue early and spend the rest of the afternoon sleeping with the lights off and expect you to be quiet. They also to bed early before 2000 and turn off the lights, they also complain when you turn on the lights in the sleeping room when lights out is at 2200.
Oh, I never mind sleeping with lights on. It's one of my talents to sleep anywhere, anytime... that is rude, to expect others to bend the group rules in any way.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am an early riser as well but I don't want to walk in the darkness in the morning. So I lie quietly (hopefully) in bed waiting until enough people get up that I don't feel uncomfortable getting up and moving around. I use the time to pray and think about the coming day.
Yes, I can see myself getting up a doing a quiet journal entry or meditating a bit. I don't want to lurch around in darkness either..

Everyone has provided very useful advice (especially Nidarosa). So I just want to say, make sure you remember, just before you leave, to carefully (and considerately) scan around and under your bunk with your headlamp on red to ensure that you have not missed anything. It's so easy for a sock, or a hat, or your guidebook to have slipped off. So do a quick check.

As a side note, make sure that after any time you stop for a rest break or whatever, before you move on do a final check around to ensure that nothing has been left behind. Two times I have run after hikers who left their poles behind at a rest stop and once I carried someone’s hat that had been left behind (happily I was able to reunite it with its owner.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am from CA as well and when we go to Europe, I find that after the first night sleep, I am up at the crack of dawn - sometimes earlier. My husband and I will be walking next month and he is not an early riser, so my plan is to just get up when I wake up and just hang around a bit - get dressed, go into one of the common rooms or outside and read while the world wakes up.

Sometimes it's difficult to follow the arrows in the dark, as they might not always be placed where you expect them to be! This was the case we found on the Camino Primitivo last year. Arrows on the far side of the street, or high up on a pole, instead of on the ground or eye level.
We also try, whenever possible to have a late lunch, instead of dinner, so as not to go to bed on a full stomach.
The Italians have a super saying: "Paese che vai, usanze che trovi", which loosely translated means, you will find different customs, according to the country you are in! That's the pleasure of traveling and, in our case, being a Pilgrim in a " strange" land! It's full of surprises!:)
That sums it up perfectly. We were wondering about having a bigger lunch and then trying to have more of a snack/picnic tea....we have done that in other countries and we seem to adapt and laugh about it when we get home to our usual routine! We have made some bookings in places where it might be challenging either that day or the next for my husband. From necessity we need to be sensible and do the Camino "our way". One such place is Casterojeriz and the owner asked if we would like her to make dinner for us, so we accepted her offer of hospitality. We will be ready to tackle the hill out of there and what looks like a long dirt stretch after that, the next day. Actually the lady and I have had a few chatty emails backwards and forwards and so the Camino is already touching us. Thanks again.

It's a steep, treeless hill, which the first time we walked there took me completely by surprise. For me, the worse hill on the whole Camino Francés! Since then, we have done it varios times, but then the last time, we got up before dawn, so as to tackle it in the semi- darkness ( like that It didn't seem so steep and boring!;) Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a steep, treeless hill, which the first time we walked there took me completely by surprise. For me, the worse hill on the whole Camino Francés! Since then, we have done it varios times, but then the last time, we got up before dawn, so as to tackle it in the semi- darkness ( like that It didn't seem so steep and boring!;) Anne

Indeed! Use caution. West from Castrojeriz. after a medieval bridge the trail suddenly ascends 980 meters up to the top of the Mostelares plateau; be prepared. Walk slowly, pause for deep breaths and carry enough water. The first water source is the Fuente del Piojo some 7 km further west. However, the gravel camino path is broad and the view from 'the top of the world' well worth the effort. One can see widely for many kilometers; back towards the east the path taken and ahead towards the west the path to take!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
To plus Anna's response about eating the main meal in early afternoon, if you get the menu del dia (ideally a couple blocks off of the Camino) prior to siesta, you usually get a better meal than what is served up in the evening under the menu peregrino.

One of the reasons I like to get an early jump on the day is to get my distance in with enough time to have the afternoon menu del dia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Coming back to the topic:
the name of the topic could be as well: seeking advice for late sleepers, don't hate us, we can't help it!
For me there is no first right about sleeping times! Anyone has the right to sleep as preferred. It's just about being considerate to each other on sleeping rooms. Whenever someone else is sleeping, you keep your noise and lights as low as possible. Early risers keep quiet when others still sleep, late sleepers keep quiet when others already sleep.
So Suzanne, I don't hate you, and I hope you don't hate me as a late sleeper ;)

Hi Suzanne,

Having flown to Europe many times and having experienced jet lag that spoiled the first couple of days, I discovered that to avoid it I make sure I sleep as much as possible on the flight over. I either take a Tylenol PM (or something comparable) or a couple of brandies right at the beginning. With that I sleep and wake up in Madrid, ready to go.

I'm a natural early riser and look forward to rolling out of bed around 5 and starting out. It is torture to me to lie in a bed in the morning... I am fully awake. I would love it if you could share advice. I am a slow walker and not competititive about beds. The reservation/bed competition sounds nightmarish... I hate that feeling. I hope experienced Camino walkers can share some tips with me. I also wanted to apologize if I'm one of the ones in bed at 8. It's not because I want to beat you somewhere, even if I could. We early risers pack our 16 hours of wakefulness in early. I miss a lot socially because I just can't make it late into the night. I also love seeing dawns and towns before they wake up fully... have seen many beautiful and astonishing travel sights in the early mornings. Any comments are appreciated.

My experience was that just about everybody (at least last September, when I was on the Camino) got up before dawn and was making preparations to leave quickly. I am always an early riser at home (between 5:00 and 5:30 every day) and this therefore is for me quite normal. I think they want to get going so as to cover quite a few kilometers before the great heat of the middle of the day or they want to get to their destination early and ensure themselves a bed in the albergue. As to the noise and/or headlamps...we have to have some toleration for others. We are not all the same nor do we all have the same expectations although I am sure there are some people on the Camino with bad manners. I guess I just didn't encounter any or was willing to just let it go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

where are you starting from and when in June? I am also a slow walker and we may meet - Cheers Viv

I always tried where possible to get a bed by the door so I could slip out as quietly as possible. The downside of this however is if the toilets are outside that door you can be disturbed by a fair bit of traffic during the night :)

I figured that at 6 am, it was okay to be "up" AMD getting ready quietly. Any time before 6 and you should be quieter than a church mouse. But at 7, lights can come on and quiet time was over. I forget which town it was, but it was just after Burgos. I threw the lights on at 7:15 and was met with a chorus of groans. Sorry folks, I got pilgriming to do!

€46,-
There is a funny thing with early risers. They are seasonal...go to Camino in winter or early spring, and you will not find (almost) anyone.
I, actually, don't sleep well in the albergues. I wake up many times, and sometimes at 5 AM. But nobody tries to leave when it is dark outside, it is freezing, and there is a heavy fog or morning rain. At 8 AM, the hospitaleros have to send us off with a loud "Peeeeeregrinos! A caminaaaaaar!

Last edited:
I figured that at 6 am, it was okay to be "up" AMD getting ready quietly. Any time before 6 and you should be quieter than a church mouse. But at 7, lights can come on and quiet time was over. I forget which town it was, but it was just after Burgos. I threw the lights on at 7:15 and was met with a chorus of groans. Sorry folks, I got pilgriming to do!

why throw the lights on and not use your own light ??

There is a funny thing with early risers. They are seasonal...go to Camino in winter or early spring, and you will not find (almost) anyone.
I, actually, don't sleep well in the albergues. I wake up many times, and sometimes at 5 AM. But nobody tries to leave when it is dark outside, it is freezing, and there is a heavy fog or morning rain. At 8 AM, the hospitaleros have to send us off with a loud "Peeeeeregrinos! A caminaaaaaar!

In true winter when there may be only one or two other pilgrims, if that, there rarely is a set departure time other than after 'dawn's early light'. Many a cold morning I have waited for the safety of light to continue.

MM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a night owl so I stayed in places where I could comfortably keep my own hours and not bother anyone. It was a bit more expense, but I've worked nights for many years. Can't help it either.

To plus Anna's response about eating the main meal in early afternoon, if you get the menu del dia (ideally a couple blocks off of the Camino) prior to siesta, you usually get a better meal than what is served up in the evening under the menu peregrino.

One of the reasons I like to get an early jump on the day is to get my distance in with enough time to have the afternoon menu del dia.

I am with you on this one, completely. Having a main meal between 2 and 3 pm is what the Spanish do and by joining them you are much more connected to the local culture. Plus better food.

If I arrive and stop walking about 1pm (and the albergue is open) I'll book in and do my washing first, otherwise meal first then albergue and washing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Suzanne, having been well coached by everyone on this forum prior to my Camino, about those "early plastic bag rustling risers", :rolleyes: I made sure I was not one of them.

I had worked out a system, especially the first months (September 2012 was hot) to have everything packed the night before, slept in my tank top and shorts, ready to roll out of bed, roll up my sleeping gear and quietly leave the room by about 5 am. I tried, whenever possible to be on the bottom bunk and preferably close to the door. Being close to a door can have it's disadvantages too, because you wake up everytime someone has to use the loo. :( Somehow, even when I was on top, I managed to pick a bed where the pilgrim in the bottom bunk, too, was an early riser, so I never stepped on anyones head. :D

Once outside the dorm, I'd finished dressing etc, ate my banana or yoghurt saved from the night before and headed out, usually still in darkness and enjoyed looking at the stars and witness wonderful sunrises on a daily basis. I on average walked 20 km give or take a few kms/day and arrived at the next albergue early, claimed my bed, did my laundry, etc etc, packed my bag for next day and enjoyed the rest of the day in leisure. :)

I think it is all in the planning, how you pack your backpack and plastic shopping bags I never bothered with.

My challenge was the curfew. As a rule, not matter how tired I am, I only need a solid 5 hours for sleep. So, the hours between 10 pm. till about midnight, when everyone settles in and starts sleeping, I would be awake and eventually got lulled into sleep by the nightly "concerts". ;) How much I contributed to said concert past midnight, I found out one night o_O - but that is another story.

Buen Camino

Jennifer, we live in Santo Domingo de Heredia. Contact me by PM when you get back. A group has now been formed near us, consisting of past Pilgrims and also future ones! There aren't many in CR!
Buen Camino! Anne
Ha ha ha. I lived in Costa Rica back in the 80s. I lived in San Pedro before it was absorbed by the city, before the fountain was installed at the big roundabout, before the police were dressed like storm troopers and did not carry guns....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We moved here in 1996 and even in these last 18 years, sooooo much has changed!
Are you now on the Camino? If so, where are you? Anne

Do not worry!!
Me not being an "early riser" became one after a few days :)
The sunrises "you people" made me see were amazing!!
Just don't talk to "my people" too much before they have their first cup of coffee :)
During my camino i only had to walk 500 metres extra for a bed but that was only do to rain and everybody wanted to get dry soon so the first hostel in the town was full :)

Have fun but remember the coffee rule!!!
:)

Just a thought Suzanne bring a good torch ! I wake at 5 a.m. most mornings once awake I have to go.

When leaving Pamplona I got lost in an industrial estate for over 1/2 hour. Was rescued by spotting two Atlanta firemen (who ended up camino friends) leading the pilgrim charge leaving town, signage in the dark can be hazardous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

There is nothing wrong with being an early riser. I am one myself, just not out the door at 530 in the morning. Early mornings are beautiful on the Camino. You have the trail to yourself, it seems, and that can be magical. I would suggest having your shower done at night, then your gear packed before you go to bed. That way, when you do get up, all you have to do is put on the clothes you already layed out the night before and carry your ruck out to put your boots on, thus no one still sleeping is disturbed. Do keep that headlamp shine to a minimum, as well as the plastic bag rattling. Consider stowing your individual items in rain repellant bags that can be found in any outdoor store instead of the plastic food storage kind that many tend to use. They are much quieter, and will last longer anyway. Have a little food on hand for the start, as many places do not open for a tea, coffee, and such until after 6am.

Buen Camino!

Indeed! Use caution. West from Castrojeriz. after a medieval bridge the trail suddenly ascends 980 meters up to the top of the Mostelares plateau; be prepared. Walk slowly, pause for deep breaths and carry enough water. The first water source is the Fuente del Piojo some 7 km further west. However, the gravel camino path is broad and the view from 'the top of the world' well worth the effort. One can see widely for many kilometers; back towards the east the path taken and ahead towards the west the path to take!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

We'll look out for that one! Not shown on the elevation maps......... Looks flat.

Let me tell you the story about a pilgrim who left early in the dark, less than an hour out of Santiago, he got in a standoff with an aggressive dog and stood frozen for over an hour until first light and another pilgrim came by the scare the dog off.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

This is really my default plan. I'm getting excited! This forum has been so useful. I don't want to do too much in my mind beforehand, but having a "template" for a typical day, with suggestions, has totally helped me. Thanks to all.

I love this saying! I think, too, peregrino originally meant "wanderer" or "foreigner". Being in a strange land is integral to the experience.

where are you starting from and when in June? I am also a slow walker and we may meet - Cheers Viv
Hi Viv-- I am starting Sunday June 8 on The Way from Pamplona, doing a slow amble. Hope to meet! I'll be staying at the Hotel Eslava June 6 and 7.

Funny! True...even I get more slothful when there's no light. We biological early risers are a bit like chickens... sun-attuned.

I'm a night owl so I stayed in places where I could comfortably keep my own hours and not bother anyone. It was a bit more expense, but I've worked nights for many years. Can't help it either.
I think it's biological. This is a pretty good article, with a few tips for time adjustment at the end, for both larks and owls: http://www.nasw.org/users/llamberg/larkowl.htm

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Suzanne, having been well coached by everyone on this forum prior to my Camino, about those "early plastic bag rustling risers", :rolleyes: I made sure I was not one of them.

I had worked out a system, especially the first months (September 2012 was hot) to have everything packed the night before, slept in my tank top and shorts, ready to roll out of bed, roll up my sleeping gear and quietly leave the room by about 5 am. I tried, whenever possible to be on the bottom bunk and preferably close to the door. Being close to a door can have it's disadvantages too, because you wake up everytime someone has to use the loo. :( Somehow, even when I was on top, I managed to pick a bed where the pilgrim in the bottom bunk, too, was an early riser, so I never stepped on anyones head. :D

Once outside the dorm, I'd finished dressing etc, ate my banana or yoghurt saved from the night before and headed out, usually still in darkness and enjoyed looking at the stars and witness wonderful sunrises on a daily basis. I on average walked 20 km give or take a few kms/day and arrived at the next albergue early, claimed my bed, did my laundry, etc etc, packed my bag for next day and enjoyed the rest of the day in leisure. :)

I think it is all in the planning, how you pack your backpack and plastic shopping bags I never bothered with.

My challenge was the curfew. As a rule, not matter how tired I am, I only need a solid 5 hours for sleep. So, the hours between 10 pm. till about midnight, when everyone settles in and starts sleeping, I would be awake and eventually got lulled into sleep by the nightly "concerts". ;) How much I contributed to said concert past midnight, I found out one night o_O - but that is another story.

Buen Camino
Thanks, Ingrid, for your long and thoughtful answer. Your generosity in sharing is inspiring.. even as a slow walker, it makes me think I can do 20 kms a day on some days. I also won't bring shopping bags.

There is nothing wrong with being an early riser. I am one myself, just not out the door at 530 in the morning. Early mornings are beautiful on the Camino. You have the trail to yourself, it seems, and that can be magical. I would suggest having your shower done at night, then your gear packed before you go to bed. That way, when you do get up, all you have to do is put on the clothes you already layed out the night before and carry your ruck out to put your boots on, thus no one still sleeping is disturbed. Do keep that headlamp shine to a minimum, as well as the plastic bag rattling. Consider stowing your individual items in rain repellant bags that can be found in any outdoor store instead of the plastic food storage kind that many tend to use. They are much quieter, and will last longer anyway. Have a little food on hand for the start, as many places do not open for a tea, coffee, and such until after 6am.

Buen Camino!
I can't wait to share dawns with other early birds. I remember staying in Yellowstone National Park in high seasson... normally a tour bus nightmare. But Scott and I would get up at dawn and do amazing hikes among misty geysers... buffalo silhouetted in the dawn... and have the place to ourselves.

Do not worry!!
Me not being an "early riser" became one after a few days :)
The sunrises "you people" made me see were amazing!!
Just don't talk to "my people" too much before they have their first cup of coffee :)
During my camino i only had to walk 500 metres extra for a bed but that was only do to rain and everybody wanted to get dry soon so the first hostel in the town was full :)

Have fun but remember the coffee rule!!!
:)
My owl husband has trained me on the coffee rule! No philosophy, emotional processing, financial discussion before coffee!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That was an interesting story on the lark/owl phenomenon. Thanks for posting it. Married two night owls; all of us introverts. There's definitely no talking about anything more important than the weather before morning tea. ;) But by late afternoon, look out!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back