• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice for sleeping bag

weiho

Wei Ho
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances , September/October 2018
Dear friends. I will start my very first Camino on 19th Sept from Sant Jean and arrive at Santiago de Compostela in the late of Oct. I have got almost all stuff ready except the sleeping bag. I hope to get some advice from people who have walked the Camino to help me to chose a proper sleeping bag. For the period between late September to late October, Do I need a three-season one or two-season one, or even a one-season sleeping bag. I want to keep it to minimum weight at same time keep myself warm in the night. Thank you all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As you might guess, there is no clear answer to your question. It really depends on whether you prefer to risk carrying a heavier sleeping bag and not needing it, or not carrying it and needing it.

If you enter "sleeping bag october" in the Search field at the top right, you will find lots of opinions to help make your decision.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've walked the CF Sept. 15-Oct 15 (2016) with no sleeping bag and just a liner (and a down jacket to wear in the evening and could sleep in if I hit a cold night). Did not regret that decision. That said, I've also walked the CP with a silk liner (4oz, Cocoon Expedition Silk) for when it was warmer (and it was) plus a very light backpacking quilt for when it was cooler (and it was) the last two weeks of October 2017. Did not regret that decision either. Your time frame, I'd probably not carry the quilt. But HYOH.

If you decide to take something, my sincere recommendation is a backpacking quilt (the lightest possible--this is not camping after all--walls and sleeping pilgrims stacking in bunk beds keep even unheated alburgues much warmer than the outside air). I use Enlightened Equipment 50 degree (12oz for me, 8oz for my wife--they are made to size and she is much smaller than me), but also look at Hammock Gear (slightly cheaper, slightly heavier). Almost all backpackers these days carry quilts not sleeping bags Spring-to-Fall. The weight savings (no bottom to the bag (you lay on the bottom down and compress it to uselessness anyway, no hood) is well worth it. Order now because they have long lead times (these are small cottage manufacturers).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I walked the Camino Frances in September and October with a sleeping bag for summer, and it was quite enough. Even when it was a bit chilly outside, I was perfectly warm and comfortable in my very light weight thin sleeping bag. Mostly a silk liner would have been enough.
The less you carry, the happier walk ;-D

I walked the CF in September and October and was fine with a silk liner. There are plenty of blanket in the albergues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank everybody who gave me very valuable advice.

My wife and I went from SJPP to Santiago between 7 Sept and 23 October 2017. We took the lightest 3-season bags we could find at REI with a peneferin treated liner for bed bugs. Never zipped the bag uptight at all. Enjoy your Camino.

Good advice here already but also consider if you sleep "hot" (like I do) or "cold" as this will influence what weight of sleeping bag you will want. Also remember that you will be the one carrying it. Ultreïa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope to get some advice from people who have walked the Camino to help me to chose a proper sleeping bag. For the period betwe

Walked CF SJPP to Santiago Sept/Oct 2018. Took a light sleeping bag and used it in Roncesvalles alburgue where no blankets were provided. Sent it home from Burgos - extra weight was a burden. Could have used it once or twice in other albergues where no blankets were provided but I did have long thermals to wear as PJs. Overall, didn't really need it and not taking it on CF 2018.

Last edited:
I've walked the CF Sept. 15-Oct 15 (2016) with no sleeping bag and just a liner (and a down jacket to wear in the evening and could sleep in if I hit a cold night). Did not regret that decision. That said, I've also walked the CP with a silk liner (4oz, Cocoon Expedition Silk) for when it was warmer (and it was) plus a very light backpacking quilt for when it was cooler (and it was) the last two weeks of October 2017. Did not regret that decision either. Your time frame, I'd probably not carry the quilt. But HYOH.

If you decide to take something, my sincere recommendation is a backpacking quilt (the lightest possible--this is not camping after all--walls and sleeping pilgrims stacking in bunk beds keep even unheated alburgues much warmer than the outside air). I use Enlightened Equipment 50 degree (12oz for me, 8oz for my wife--they are made to size and she is much smaller than me), but also look at Hammock Gear (slightly cheaper, slightly heavier). Almost all backpackers these days carry quilts not sleeping bags Spring-to-Fall. The weight savings (no bottom to the bag (you lay on the bottom down and compress it to uselessness anyway, no hood) is well worth it. Order now because they have long lead times (these are small cottage manufacturers).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo
hi jo jo! glad to see you also use an EE quilt. i won’t be going until this fall or next early spring but wonder if you took the silk liner plus the quilt or just the quilt. did you bother with some sort of pad to lie on with the quilt or were the beds in the alburgues fine to lie on with the quilt used like a blanket? i am relatively new here and am in the process of getting gear, doing research etc. any help along this line is appreciated :) thank you! bev

hi jo jo! glad to see you also use an EE quilt. i won’t be going until this fall or next early spring but wonder if you took the silk liner plus the quilt or just the quilt. did you bother with some sort of pad to lie on with the quilt or were the beds in the alburgues fine to lie on with the quilt used like a blanket? i am relatively new here and am in the process of getting gear, doing research etc. any help along this line is appreciated :) thank you! bev
Skydog,
Yes, I also take a sleeping bag liner (Cocoon Expedition Ripstop Silk). 4oz. You need a liner bag. I used it every night. First, because some places and some nights any quilt is going to stay in your pack because it is too warm. Second, because the mattresses these days are usually covered in bed-bug proof plastic or rubber. Not a nice feel on your skin (you'd stick to them, and peeling out in the morning might be quite a way to wake up). Treat both the liner and the quilt with permethrin to be prepared for the inevitable alburgue that does not have the new mattresses (and therefore might have tiny friends who will then try to hitch a ride in your pack to the next alburgue).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can one source a quilt in SJPDP or Pamplona? I have an excellent Golite quilt I am very happy with however I am reluctant to take it on the camino. Instead I bought a very cheap and light sleeping bag from Aldi which I won't miss so much if it goes missing. However if I could buy a cheap and light quilt there I would do so.

Can one source a quilt in SJPDP or Pamplona? I have an excellent Golite quilt I am very happy with however I am reluctant to take it on the camino. Instead I bought a very cheap and light sleeping bag from Aldi which I won't miss so much if it goes missing. However if I could buy a cheap and light quilt there I would do so.
Lindsay,

Not that I know of personally. I've stolen the following from a post on Reddit of possible manufacturerers in Europe. Whether any of them would be in stock anywhere I do not know. I know in the U.S. there is often a 6-week order-to-shipment lead time (and shipping from the U.S., with customs, etc., is usually prohibitive).

Quilts:
Jo Jo

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Costco has a lightweight quilt and they were in stock last week. That may not be helpful info, if you are no where near a Costco.

They've change it a bit. They used to have down fill, now it's primaloft. Many of us have added snaps or bits of ribbon to fasten it to the liner, so it does not slither off in the night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Jo Jo and Northern Light. Too late for me to order anything as I leave in 3 days, but I was hoping to find a suitable quilt in SJ before I start. No real problems though.

I take a lightweight Lifeventure anti bed bug sleeping bag weighing 750grams and a silk liner for walking in April and May. There are no blankets in Roncesvalles and some of the Xunta albergues. I have been happy with this decision but would also consider the quilt idea along with a silk liner if a quilt is lighter weight. I would not have been warm enough in April with only a silk liner but people are different in this respect.

I also have a very lightweight 208 grams thermatec reflective blanket which gives excellent warmth. I took it on my first camino in 2015. It is rather slippery but apart from that very good. I took it in addition to the sleeping bag though. I think if I was going during a warmer time of year I would consider taking it along with a silk liner instead of a sleeping bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back