• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice from multi-camino peregrinos for a mid Oct start

JBSoakitup

Life is short_Soak it UP!
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Lourdes to SdC to Finesterre Sept (2018) 1st timer now bitten by the Camino Bug!
Hello all you veteran peregrinos! I walked my first Camino from Lourdes to 'The end of the earth' last Sept / October... like many, I've caught the bug! Thank you to all who post such sage advice and keep the humor going on this awesome forum.
Now my question: I may have the opportunity to steal away for 35-40 days (inclusive of RT transport) in mid October. My first camino was fantastic. I went with no expectations other than an adventure and an opportunity to quietly contemplate, discover and give thanks... it was all that and more. Boarding the plane to depart for home was oh so difficult. I realize I was lucky with the weather and not a single blister helped as well. I met marvelous people along the way but was able to spend gobs of time alone and soaking in the silence that I now crave at the crank of every leaf blower!!! but I digress..... If I take advantage of this upcoming chunk of time for another camino what other route would you all recommend for the time of year and the amount of time I have? I enjoy hiking solo and am OK staying solo but I don't think I want 30 - 35 days of it... Thanks for any advice you can share.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen camino, @JBSoakitup !
Now the fun begins.

There are a bunch of ways you can dip in and out of the Frances, getting both solitary time and more social time.

One option:
Start in Irun, go to Burgos on the Via de Bayona
Burgos to Ponferrada on the Francés
Ponferrada to Santiago on the Invierno
(I just did this and enjoyed it immensely...highly recommended.)

Or:
Start in Madrid, go to Sahagun on the Madrid
Sahagun to Ponferrada on the Francés
Ponferrada to Santiago on the Invierno

Or:
Aragones from Somport to Puente la Reina
Frances to Leon
San Salvador/Primativo to Santiago

Or, or, or...you get the drift. When you mix things up like this, you're limited only by your imagination.
@wisepilgrim made a map that you can get in @ivar's store - put it on your wall for inspiration:

Thanks VNwalking - all good options. The first which you recently did, how many days approx? My sweetspot for distance is closer to 20 - 28K a day - closer to 30K and I turn into mush.. can do it but don't enjoy it.
I have a similar map as my screen saver and it does inspire!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could do it in 35 days but 38 would be more comfortable: 10-11 for the VdB, 12-13 for the link on the CF, then 12-14 on the CI.

We walked to Bilbao from Irun on the Norte then from Leon to Oviedo on the Salvador then the Primitivo to Santiago. Fantastic!

With 40 days I would agreee with Camino 07. But with that much tome start in Irun. The first week to Bilbao is tough but wowwww is it beautiful. From what I read about the Camino from Lourdes (Lots of up and downs, correct) you should be able to handle the Norte also. It will be November when you would have to decide to continue on the Norte or split off to the Primitivo. I stayed on the Norte all the way and have never walked the Primitivo. You can ask other pilgrims who have walked at that time of the year, and check long range forecasts what the wether MAY be on both routes. One can never be sure about the weather of course. Finally , I do know from friends I made on the Norte, some split to the Primitivo. They all loved it. I have never heard a bad word about the beauty of that walk. The only thing I would say is that if you found the Norte difficult up to the point of the split you may want to stay on the Norte. They all said the Primitivo was tougher to walk than the Norte. I would definitely say to have an app like Wise Pilgrim (or the guide) or Buen Camino and look at Gronze.com for places to sleep. I arrived in Santiago last year on about November 1st and there were a lot of albergues that had already closed or were getting ready to close soon. Get a SIM card and a monthly calling plan from Orange or Vodafone so you can call to make sure albergues are open. You will definitely not have to worry about any bed races. You will have lots of solitude even at night. But closings can create problems and maybe really long days. There will be enough albergues or hostels open so you don't have to worry about that with proper planning. Twice I felt good after about 23k. Normally I would will between 22-27K. Both times I was going to walk 5 to 7k more but I called and found out the place I wanted to stay had already closed. I would have had to do about 35K both times if I hadn't called and that would have been a nightmare for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all I appreciate your input! Lots of options to consider.... Maybe even Lisbon to SdC & the Finisterre loop again given the time. Lovely quandary to be in but a quandary nonetheless. Will see if I can make something a reality...

Hi, we usually walk in Sept Oct to take advantage of the cooling weather and before the major rains in the North. The Portuguese route we did in Nov Dec was cold and wet, but good rain gear, merino thermals and a high tolerance of mud helped us get through. Hope that helps. But it sounds like you know what you are doing and will have a great time which ever route you take.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[
But it sounds like you know what you are doing and will have a great time which ever route you take.
Hi hel&scott - this makes me laugh as the truth is - no, i don’t really know what I’m doing - I’m just trying to do and not just dream! I may have gotten lucky on the first go round so I have a bit of trepidation around this next one especially knowing the season is getting on and the weather is changing... and i don’t want to be the only pilgrim i see! I’d rather do an early Spring Camino but know that I cannot next year so trying to fit one in to feed the desire but want to be wise about my choice so thank you for your info re: the Portugues route. Cheers!

With ~35 days you could easily do the Le Puy route to SJPP. However, be careful of the timing, as many gites close after All Saints/Toussaint (Nov 1). Also there is a two-week mid-term school holiday throughout France in October. In 2019 that falls the last two weeks of Oct, but it varies from year to year. So planning ahead with reservations would be important.

Thanks all I appreciate your input! Lots of options to consider.... Maybe even Lisbon to SdC & the Finisterre loop again given the time. Lovely quandary to be in but a quandary nonetheless. Will see if I can make something a reality...
Montserrat to Logroño to Burgos

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all you veteran peregrinos! I walked my first Camino from Lourdes to 'The end of the earth' last Sept / October... like many, I've caught the bug! Thank you to all who post such sage advice and keep the humor going on this awesome forum.
Now my question: I may have the opportunity to steal away for 35-40 days (inclusive of RT transport) in mid October. My first camino was fantastic. I went with no expectations other than an adventure and an opportunity to quietly contemplate, discover and give thanks... it was all that and more. Boarding the plane to depart for home was oh so difficult. I realize I was lucky with the weather and not a single blister helped as well. I met marvelous people along the way but was able to spend gobs of time alone and soaking in the silence that I now crave at the crank of every leaf blower!!! but I digress..... If I take advantage of this upcoming chunk of time for another camino what other route would you all recommend for the time of year and the amount of time I have? I enjoy hiking solo and am OK staying solo but I don't think I want 30 - 35 days of it... Thanks for any advice you can share.
Hi there
Just another couple to throw into the mix -

The beautiful and popular Camino Le Puy - from LePuy en Velay to SJPP (around 760 kms) and if you have days up your sleeve at the end keep going from SJPP for a few days on the Frances for old times sake (though could be pretty cold by then).

The Camino Arles - fewer people than Le Puy route, mostly French speaking (when we were there in 2016). After about 800 kms it crosses the Pyrénées at Col du Somport and becomes the Camino Aragones, which after 6-7 days meets up with the Frances at Obanos (just before Puenta La Reina). Love the Aragones (will be back there in September). So a total of about 900 kms.

Spoilt for choice. Xx

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino Norte from Irun is beautiful, if you want more people I would do the Portuguese. From Lisbon not many people but from Porto plenty.

Take a little time to research the Via de la Plata, it may help you decide.

Maybe starting on the VdlP from Salamanca, or before then, to Astorga will give you a mix of 'solitary' walking and the already familar Camino Frances when you reach Astorga to walk to SDC again.

Buen (good choice-for-you) Camino

Thank you all! Much figuring out to do..... Lovely to have options.
Buen Camino to all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi there
Just another couple to throw into the mix -

The beautiful and popular Camino Le Puy - from LePuy en Velay to SJPP (around 760 kms) and if you have days up your sleeve at the end keep going from SJPP for a few days on the Frances for old times sake (though could be pretty cold by then).

The Camino Arles - fewer people than Le Puy route, mostly French speaking (when we were there in 2016). After about 800 kms it crosses the Pyrénées at Col du Somport and becomes the Camino Aragones, which after 6-7 days meets up with the Frances at Obanos (just before Puenta La Reina). Love the Aragones (will be back there in September). So a total of about 900 kms.

Spoilt for choice. Xx
I have been thinking about the Le Puy route for mid September this year. Unfortunately, a medical issue came up. The earliest that I can start is mid October instead. I thought that this would be too late for the Le Puy, starting mid October and ending in SJPdP toward the last week of November. With your recommendation, I am reevaluating my thinking. Any information or advice from Le Puy walkers about a mid October start would be appreciated. Bon chemin. /Hieu

Bonjour Hieu

It really depends on how you like to walk. Almost certainly there will be fewer pilgrims than a month earlier. Though when we were living in Le Gers last year we were still seeing pilgrims in Condom and Eauze in the third week of October - those pilgrims would likely have started at Le Puy late September or first days of October.

If the cooler weather and fewer people doesn’t worry you, then it will just be your accommodation options. Some places will be open all year around. Many will close by mid to late October. If you google ‘list of gites Camino Le puy’ You will find an America’s site Sacramento Pilgrims which has a comprehensive and relaxing Ely recent list of bites on Le Puy way including when they are open. Sorry I wasn’t able to download the PDF to send you but you may have better luck.

It’s one of our favourite Caminos - I hope you do get to walk the Le Puy this year or another time.

Bon chemin

Gosh. So many typing errors. Sorry - meant to write ‘comprehensive and relatively recent list of gites’.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back