• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice from pilgrims

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
I am leaving from Le Puy to SJPDPin late September and have some questions for pilgrims who have walked this route at that time can hopefully answer. These questions have probably been asked before.
Is it crowded at this time of the year?
Do I need to phone ahead to reserve to reserve a room at a gite?
Is it cold and does it rain much in September/October?
Do some of the gites have kitchens for pilgrims to cook meals like the Albergues on the Camino Frances?
Thanks for any information from experiences Le Puy Route pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it crowded at this time of the year?
No, but there should be a few others walking with you every day.
Do I need to phone ahead to reserve to reserve a room at a gite?
At that time of year, you are calling ahead for one of two reasons: (1) to make sure Madame & Monsieur are in fact going to be there, especially in October during the two week school holiday when things start to close; and (2) to ensure your name is in the pot for the demi-pension meal. The French, ever polite, always call at least a day ahead. You want to be thought of as polite, don't you?
Is it cold and does it rain much in September/October?
It's fall, and the first two weeks are at 1000 m elevation. Plan for there to be a couple rainy days each week. You might possibly be surprised with sunshine, however.
Do some of the gites have kitchens for pilgrims to cook meals like the Albergues on the Camino Frances?
Some do; these are listed in Miam Miam Dodo. But think about this carefully. Do you really want to give up French home cooking? It's one of the major joys of the Le Puy route.

No, but there should be a few others walking with you every day.
At that time of year, you are calling ahead for one of two reasons: (1) to make sure Madame & Monsieur are in fact going to be there, especially in October during the two week school holiday when things start to close; and (2) to ensure your name is in the pot for the demi-pension meal. The French, ever polite, always call at least a day ahead. You want to be thought of as polite, don't you?
It's fall, and the first two weeks are at 1000 m elevation. Plan for there to be a couple rainy days each week. You might possibly be surprised with sunshine, however.
Some do; these are listed in Miam Miam Dodo. But think about this carefully. Do you really want to give up French home cooking? It's one of the major joys of the Le Puy route.
Thanks Kitsambler. What was I thinking? Why cook myself when I can enjoy that French home cooking?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Kitsambler. What was I thinking? Why cook myself when I can enjoy that French home cooking?

However, when staying at a gite without a demi-pension option - it is also very special to pick up fresh ingredients, and cook a communal pilgrim meal together. :)

Some gites had excellent kitchens along the way.

I went alone, and then at Le Puy met up with a group from Quebec and walked with them on and off for the 12 days I walked. There were other pilgrims walking, but on the alternate route to the Abbey Bonneval, I walked alone for two days. I saw no other pilgrims.

Much as I love the french cooking, I had to watch my budget, and was glad to have a chance to cook for myself and with others. :)

I did not always call ahead to reserve, as I was only one person, and ready to cook for myself (or just eat bread and cheese and fruit for dinner). I did call ahead when I knew where I was staying.

I was impressed with the campground at Saugues (its on the far side of the village). There are a few little wagons with beds for rent. There are also tent sites, washing machines and dryers, clothes line and warm showers. I met up with some friends there who were car camping in early October, and there was only one other family there.

I walked the alternate Bonneval Route, and stayed in Condom d'Aubrac at the village community center. I had to call ahead to the village office. I stayed there overnight-- there was a kitchen, but I hadn't known about it and had no food to cook. The woman in the village office (mayor?) opened the community center for me, and also contacted the cafe owners who opened the cafe up and made me dinner, breakfast the next morning, and a picnic lunch. I slept on a gym mat in a small room. There were no showers, but there was hot water to wash in. I left a 10 Euro note with the key in a drop-off box the next morning. I wish I could have donated more. (Of course, the cafe charge was separate.)

I had also called ahead to the Abbey Bonnevale. -- Beware of chestnuts on the path while you are walking in the wet Fall! They are treacherously slippery. They lie there in wait by the thousands. I had to walk VERY slowly the last two km to the Abbey, and still fell three times pretty hard.

I also recommend staying at http://www.hospitalite-saint-jacques.fr in Estaing.

There were days of sunshine, and also days of rain and mist and rainbows.

Kate

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back