• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

seeking advice of where to begin

suzannecallon

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
Hi, I'm traveling to France Sept 1 and I'm taking 6 weeks off work to walk the Camino Frances. I would like some input as I thought I would start from St Jean Pied de Port, but after doing some reading I'm also thinking of starting in Le Puy. I only have 6 weeks so I need some advice. I dont think in 6 weeks I would end in Santiago de Compostela.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It takes most pilgrims 35 to 45 days to walk to SdC from SJPdP without skipping some of the stages. I have not walked from Le Puy but I am under the impression it will take you every bit of a month to get to SJPdP.

Hi, I'm traveling to France Sept 1 and I'm taking 6 weeks off work to walk the Camino Frances. I would like some input as I thought I would start from St Jean Pied de Port, but after doing some reading I'm also thinking of starting in Le Puy. I only have 6 weeks so I need some advice. I dont think in 6 weeks I would end in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Suzanne
Welcome to the forum.
There are many many routes of the Camino de Santiago. The Camino Frances is the most walked and is ‘ thought ‘ to be the one to do first up.
You can start from any point along the route. The Camino Frances begins at St Jean Pied de Port in south west France (or Roncesvalles in northern Spain ) You have enough time to cover this whole route if that is your wish. Below attachment is a bare bones map showing the camino Frances route in bold red.

Le Puy is another route which begins in France and continues to saint Jean Pied de Port. It is almost as long as the camino Frances.

If you want to finish in Santiago de Compostela, I’d recommend you start in Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Happy planning and Buen Camino
Annie

Attachments

• ED8E2215-2DC6-4B0D-81A2-15B6A18610B8.jpeg
    ED8E2215-2DC6-4B0D-81A2-15B6A18610B8.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have completed both routes and have done some portions of both twice.

If you speak some French, I would recommend the Le Puy route because most of the people whom you will encounter on it will be French. Your travel time, because you will be in France, will be minimized and it is a wonderful hike with, IMO, better food than you will find in Spain. It is also a little more expensive.

If you don't speak French and your trip begins in France, take a train and bus to either Navarrenx or Saint-Palais. Both are in France and from there you can walk to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the last few stages of the Le Puy route. Then I think you will have time to walk the Camino Frances in its entirety. How long you will need depends on how much distance you will cover each day and how many rest days you might need or want to take. This option allows you a few days to get in shape before hiking over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles.

Good luck. You cannot go wrong with either choice.

Tom

P.S. I forgot to mention that no sleeping bag is needed on the Le Puy Route, just a sleeping bag liner. In Spain you will need to carry a sleeping bag. If you were to start in France (without a sleeping bag), you could buy a cheap lightweight bag in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Last edited:
I'd stick with SJPdP. Having excess time is a good thing. It helps guard against injury and means you're not under any pressure.

Take rest days in Burgos and León and anywhere else you really like. Do some little detours off the main trail to see churches/monasteries when they're recommended. Take some short days if you like (e.g. stay at the San Anton monastery one night and then stay at Castrojeriz, just a few kms away, the next night). Stay three nights in Santiago because it's a beautiful little town. And walk to Finisterre if you still have energy and time remaining.

If you speak some French, I would recommend the Le Puy route because most of the people whom you will encounter on it will be French. Your travel time, because you will be in France, will be minimized and it is a wonderful hike with, IMO, better food than you will find in Spain. It is also a little more expensive.

If you don't speak French and your trip begins in France, take a train and bus to either Navarrenx or Saint-Palais. Both are in France and from there you can walk to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on the last few stages of the Le Puy route. Then I think you will have time to walk the Camino Frances in its entirety. How long you will need depends on how much distance you will cover each day and how many rest days you might need or want to take. This option allows you a few days to get in shape before hiking over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles.

Tom

Hi TMcA,
I have done the full Camino Frances 2016 and Pamplona to Leon 2017. This fall we will be on the Caminho from Porto. We are thinking of the Le Puy route in 2019. Can you give me some kind of insight and compare the difficulty between the Camino Frances vs. the Le Puy route to SJPdP?
Thanks,
TV

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@ Thomas V

Some people think the Le Puy Route is more difficult because there are some steep ascents and descents early and going into Conques. I think if you are in reasonable shape, you will not find these a problem. In addition, no sleeping bag is required on the Le Puy, so you don't have 1-2 lbs of weight to carry.

In general, the feel of the Le Puy route frequently has a more closed-in feeling and not the panoramic, long views of the CF. Both are wonderful, just a little different.

If you noodle around on the site below, you can check out the elevations between Le Puy and Conques.

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense

My wife and I will do the Portuguese next spring.

Tom

Tom

P.S. I forgot to mention that no sleeping bag is needed on the Le Puy Route, just a sleeping bag liner. In Spain you will need to carry a sleeping bag. If you were to start in France (without a sleeping bag), you could buy a cheap lightweight bag in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
I think your advice is excellent! I have walked the CF from St Jean and once from just south of Le Puy to Santiago. I love the Le Puy route. It is so quiet and beautiful. I doubt if I met 5 people the whole way that could speak English well enough to have a full conversation with. My French consists of about 7 words. It was really challenging, especially when I got lost and especially when I realized early on to always have food with me because you never know when you will find a place to eat again. But I did it. I loved it and met some amazing people, slept in very comfortable Gites, and yes it is more expensive (Not that much more) but WOW is the FOOD AMAZING!

While the LePuy route is attractive, I suggest that, with 42 days total, you should consider walking the classic 35 day +/- Camino Frances from Saint John Pied de Port.

This gives you perhaps 7 extra days for travel to and from, an extra night or two at SJPdP before you start (worth it). Also importantly, it gives you the ‘slack’ to spend an extra rest day already by the way.

Many people take an extra day at Burgos, Leon, or at Santiago and the end of the Camino. If you allow for this you will not find yourself stressed by having to juggle your plans in the event of an injury or other ‘forced layover.’

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With six weeks to do it, you could easily start from St Jean, take it easy getting to Santiago and still have time to get to Muxia/Finisterre. I am a very slow walker, almost going backwards on hills :) and I completed it in just under the six weeks. You dont give any indication of age or fitness but if it helps, I am 69, overweight, useless on hills and a slow walker. If none of that applies to you, six weeks is plenty of time to really enjoy it

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I start my first Camino in early Sept. as well. To save some travel time to/from the arrival/departure airport(s) and any other cities you wish to visit while in Spain, check out www.goeuro.com for low-fare, short flights between cities. My walking buddy & I will arrive Barcelona (BCN) on 2 Sept. at 12:30, then we'll catch a plane at 16:40 from that same airport to San Sebastian, Spain (EAS) via Vueling Airline for only $112 (1:10 flight!). From there it's a short taxi ride to SJPdP to start the CF fresh on 3 Sept.

Attachments

• BCN > St. Jean same day.png
    BCN > St. Jean same day.png
    427.3 KB · Views: 10

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back