• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice

Yossi Fuchs

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
I did the Camino this year with two friends; we started from Pamplona on April 28th, took a bus from Burgos to Leon and continued on foot from Leon to Santiago - Muxia - Fistere and from there a bus back to Santiago and flew home on May 31st. It was fantastic! The weather was just perfect; very cold in the mornings and cool during daytime. Not too crowded and easy to find a place to spend the night; mostly in municipal albergues.
Now I am thinking of doing the SJPDP - Pamplona section with my wife in mid October, I will appreciate hearing from people what they think about it from point of view of weather, crowds, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Yossi

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yossi,

October into late autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues start to close mid October. For lots of personal commentary regarding walking at this time including a kit list see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

For what others have posted re Autumn walking see this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen Camino to both of you!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yossi,

October into late autumn is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights. Do be aware however that many albergues start to close mid October. For lots of personal commentary regarding walking at this time including a kit list see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

For what others have posted re Autumn walking see this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen Camino to both of you!

Thanks; I am asking specifically about the first part of SJPP - Pamplona

Orisson closes in mid-October, so you should find out that date if you want to stay there. In Oct 2014, the wind on the Napoleon route was tremendous. In Oct 2015, the higher parts were quite chilly early in the morning (i.e. freezing) and my gloves were invaluable! Both times were quite clear and beautiful for walking, with comfortable temperatures during the day. Otherwise, I can't think of anything that was unique to that section or that month. The weather can be problematic at any time.

There was no shortage of accommodation. Do you have other specific questions we can answer?:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, about crowds... I thought it was perfect, at least toward the end of the month. Plenty of people but it was possible to avoid crowds, for example by starting to walk a little later in the day, and perhaps avoiding a weekend start.

I left SJPdP 25 Oct 2012. Dark till about 0830. It rained sideways for a couple of hours.

Orisson was closed for the winter.

There was frequent light rain and cool weather for the section from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. There were rumors of snow having fallen on the SJPdP - Roncesvalles section the day after I went.

There were perhaps a hundred at the Roncesvalles albergue. Same at Jesus y Maria in Pamplona ... not full but more than expected. Statistics indicate the numbers have increased significantly in the 4 years since I went.

Be prepared for mountain weather ... unpredictable ... possibility of hard driving rain, snow, low cloud (very disorienting) and high wind. Carry good rain gear and high energy snacks.

Orisson closes in mid-October, so you should find out that date if you want to stay there. In Oct 2014, the wind on the Napoleon route was tremendous. In Oct 2015, the higher parts were quite chilly early in the morning (i.e. freezing) and my gloves were invaluable! Both times were quite clear and beautiful for walking, with comfortable temperatures during the day. Otherwise, I can't think of anything that was unique to that section or that month. The weather can be problematic at any time.

There was no shortage of accommodation. Do you have other specific questions we can answer?:)

Thank you so much for this invaluable information!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll have company without crowds, mostly French and shy about their English if they have any. Variable weather is guaranteed. Sufficient accommodations, good food and great terrain. Get the Miam Miam Dodo guide and you'll have a ball.

You'll be paying more in France than you did in Spain, but it's a very good value all around. Bon chemin!

Wow! I just stumbled onto this thread. I have so many questions regarding the Camino Frances in mid October. Most importantly, is it safe. I'm a middle aged woman who will be traveling alone. What will the walk be like as far as feeling safe and perhaps seeing other pilgrims along the way? thanks.

I left SJPdP 25 Oct 2012. Dark till about 0830. It rained sideways for a couple of hours.

Orisson was closed for the winter.

There was frequent light rain and cool weather for the section from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. There were rumors of snow having fallen on the SJPdP - Roncesvalles section the day after I went.

There were perhaps a hundred at the Roncesvalles albergue. Same at Jesus y Maria in Pamplona ... not full but more than expected. Statistics indicate the numbers have increased significantly in the 4 years since I went.

Be prepared for mountain weather ... unpredictable ... possibility of hard driving rain, snow, low cloud (very disorienting) and high wind. Carry good rain gear and high energy snacks.

Thanks, I hope my wife won't be reading this...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I believe you are over dramatizing it... this year I did Panplona - Santiago (skipped burgos-leon part) - muxia - finisterre, started april 29, finished may 30. no big deal... granted that SJPP - roncevalles is different due to crossing the Pyrenees but we plan on doing it in two days, first day just to orisson

I think crossing any mountains in the spring is just a matter of how lucky you are any given day. Some years it can be horrible & some beautiful every day. So plan for the worse snow/sleet & thank r god it was beautiful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think crossing any mountains in the spring is just a matter of how lucky you are any given day. Some years it can be horrible & some beautiful every day. So plan for the worse snow/sleet & thank r god it was beautiful.

Thanks! if you had to choose between crossing the Pyrenees on October 10th or May 22nd, which do you think is preferable? two aspects I would like you to consider; one is weather and the other is the landscape/views...

Thanks! if you had to choose between crossing the Pyrenees on October 10th or May 22nd, which do you think is preferable? two aspects I would like you to consider; one is weather and the other is the landscape/views...

Weather is simply a question of good/bad luck. Landscapes and views depend also on the weather - fog=no views. May is better for green spring meadows, October for lovely colored autumn/fall leaves/forests. Take your pick and Buen Camino, SY

Weather is simply a question of good/bad luck. Landscapes and views depend also on the weather - fog=no views. May is better for green spring meadows, October for lovely colored autumn/fall leaves/forests. Take your pick and Buen Camino, SY
thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I will answer concerning the spring, others who have walked the fall should chime in. I will only say concerning the fall you may want to start the end of September.
I walked the first week of April to the first week of May. Then hung out in Madrid for a week. I like cool weather it was 0C to 30c (90f) I would not wait till May too many people for me. If you do you may search for a bed a little more. Only 1x did I have to book ahead & that was on my way to Finnesterre, but it ended up being needless. So I never had any problem just moving along with no worries. (I am not picky any mattress will do) Also no bugs to worry about. May seemed to be the start of the high season. The positive of waiting for May no real snow concerns it will be warmer, but oddly May historically can have more rain.
For either season there were 2 mountain ranges that will be a weather magnet between SJPDP & into Pamplona the other Ocebrio. The hype going to Roncevalles is very real in May there could be a storm but it most likely will be rain & very likely lightning. It had lightning w/snow when I was there.
I hope this helps not sure how much you have hiked but within a couple days you will be a very confident pilgrim. The less planning the more fun it is. The more historical research the better. The more pious the bigger reward.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the info!
I walked this year from Pamplona to Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre (skipped the Burgos-Leon stretch). Started April 29th, finished May 30. I did no training at all before and ended up without a single blister! I am 67 years old and my two companions were 70 & 76 years old! Now I have this urge to do the SJPP - Pamplona part that we decided to skip for lack of time. I am going to do it with my wife who is 10 years younger than I, but I am not sure how tough she will be on the trail...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the info!
I walked this year from Pamplona to Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre (skipped the Burgos-Leon stretch). Started April 29th, finished May 30. I did no training at all before and ended up without a single blister! I am 67 years old and my two companions were 70 & 76 years old! Now I have this urge to do the SJPP - Pamplona part that we decided to skip for lack of time. I am going to do it with my wife who is 10 years younger than I, but I am not sure how tough she will be on the trail...
So you already have the experience then to answer the question directly May 22 if I were to have my wife along simply due to weather & finding places still open.

I believe you are over dramatizing it... this year I did Panplona - Santiago (skipped burgos-leon part) - muxia - finisterre, started april 29, finished may 30. no big deal... granted that SJPP - roncevalles is different due to crossing the Pyrenees but we plan on doing it in two days, first day just to orisson

Yeah ... except that the route Napoleon is now officially closed from end October to end March because every year some optimist disregards advice.

You'll likely make it wearing shorts and a t-shirt wondering why you are carrying the stupid rain gear and basic survival gear that I am suggesting you should have with you. I hope so.

I believe you are over dramatizing it.
I re-read that post and didn't see any exaggeration. The weather in mid-October can certainly be unpredictable. @whariwharangi encountered sideways rain and chilly conditions. I encountered extreme winds (gusts almost blew us over at times) on one occasion, and freezing temperatures on the other occasion. We have no idea what you will encounter, but you should be aware of the possibilities. That is how you ensure "no big deal."

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back