• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking advice

roamingpaddy

Time of past OR future Camino
I have done the Camino français in stages and enjoyed, now I'm thinking of doing another Camino in late September. I would like to do the Français again but I am also thinking of the porteguese Camino too from either Lisbon or Porto.
I am soon 67 and fairly fit. I would welcome suggestions

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have done the Camino français in stages and enjoyed, now I'm thinking of doing another Camino in late September. I would like to do the Français again but I am also thinking of the porteguese Camino too from either Lisbon or Porto.

The Camino Portugues is a gorgeous Camino , especially the part in Portugal. Perfect for fairly fit people ;) !
I liked it very much ( walked from Porto late August ) . Long enough ( I walked for 13 days ) to get into a " pilgrimage feel ". Also enough choices in sleepingarrangements.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is. By comparison the Portuguese way is fairly flat, the only notable climb that I can recall is on the central way for a few km out of Ponte de Lima. I have walked it a few times, most recently from Tomar last Sept when we had the slight lull in covid numbers. It has very good infrastructure the whole way and has gotten very popular.

Thank you, but I have heard its very hilly?
There are a few short hills but the scenery, food, wine and people more than make up for the inclines. Plus, you have lots of walking along the coast and some stretches walking on the beach. I've walked it twice and I don't remember any issues with hills.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am also 67 I walked the Norte in 2018 from Irun. Definitely much more difficult than the CF and CP. There is the payoff of amazing views.
I walked the CP from Lisbon in 2017 I really liked it. There is alot of road walking unfortunately. I walked in late September and it was hot especially out of Lisbon. The weather was perfect and not a cloud in the sky. (Of course who knows what it will be when you walk). Less accommodations from Lisbon but it gets alot better the closer you get to Porto. After Porto I walked the interior route (whatever that one is called, the main one haha) and services were far better. Wonderful towns and cities to walk through, Fantastic people to say the least. You will not have a problem on the CP. It is easier than the CF in my opinion. Especially if you do the coastal route out of Porto.

I walked the Norte from San Sebastian to Bilbao in March 3 years ago. I found it to be punishingly hard. I would only recommend it to someone who was very fit. The countryside was gorgeous but the underfoot conditions awful. I also found the Basques seriously underwhelmed by peregrinos. I loved the Portugues - Tuy to Santiago.

I am also 67 I walked the Norte in 2018 from Irun. Definitely much more difficult than the CF and CP. There is the payoff of amazing views.
I walked the CP from Lisbon in 2017 I really liked it. There is alot of road walking unfortunately. I walked in late September and it was hot especially out of Lisbon. The weather was perfect and not a cloud in the sky. (Of course who knows what it will be when you walk). Less accommodations from Lisbon but it gets alot better the closer you get to Porto. After Porto I walked the interior route (whatever that one is called, the main one haha) and services were far better. Wonderful towns and cities to walk through, Fantastic people to say the least. You will not have a problem on the CP. It is easier than the CF in my opinion. Especially if you do the coastal route out of Porto.
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,I've walked from Lisbon and Porto and would recommend starting in Porto as the Lisbon Camino is not good for accommodation early on also the stages at skme points are longer,have a great Camino what ever you choice.

Ah Paddy, have I an idea for you.

There are several trails in Ireland that you can walk, then add a Spanish Camino to what has been done, to add to making 100 km or more and it qualifies for a Compostela. You likely know of the Irish Camino Society? They have the special Passports to do this.

My personal plan is to walk from Bray to St James Church in Dublin then walk the Camino Inglés into Santiago d Compostela. I am 68 and will not be back to do this till at least next year. If I may suggest, calendars have nothing to do with ability. Listen to your body. It is the ultimate expert in this matter.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.