• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking albergues with communal meals

Amy Noelle

Time of past OR future Camino
I have never traveled the Camino
Hello there! I am new to this forum and am grateful to see that it exists. I am working on a documentary tv series that will feature the stretch of the Camino from Lugo to Santiago de Compostela, and we want to feature the unique communal experience of eating on the Camino. Any recommendations for great albergues that offer food (or have communal kitchens) or special restaurants/taverns to visit? Any places where the owners are particularly welcoming or feel passionate about the Camino?
I should note that I also plan to hike the Camino Frances - separate from anything involving the series.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Amy Noelle : On the Camino Frances, there is a small village called Granon, where the communal albergue is in the medieval belltower of the church. The communal dinner there, made by the staff + volunteer pilgrims, is most likely the most impressive in terms of cooperation and communality (is there such a word?) you can experience on the Camino. It is, however, located only a few days west of Pamplona on the CF, but if you want to record a communal dinner at its best, this is the place.

"Any places where the owners are particularly welcoming or feel passionate about the Camino?"

Same place. Not owners; hospitaleros/as :)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/cam...ada-to-belorado/albergue-parochial-in-granon/

Good luck!

Last edited:
The Camino Frances does not go through Lugo, but it does go through Sarria. There are so many pilgrims and albergues in the last 114 km, that communal dinners have pretty much disappeared. I think there is a good one in Ligonde before Melide and San Xulian after Palas de Rei. Good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Camino Frances does not go through Lugo, but it does go through Sarria. There are so many pilgrims and albergues in the last 114 km, that communal dinners have pretty much disappeared.

Exactly. I think they have to backtrack a little to get "the real stuff". But then again, I suppose that @Amy Noelle & crew are mobile, and if so, it should be easy.

@Amy Noelle : On the Camino Frances, there is a small village called Granon, where the communal albergue is in the medieval belltower of the church. The communal dinner there, made by the staff + volunteer pilgrims, is most likely the most impressive in terms of cooperation and communality (is there such a word?) you can experience on the Camino. It is, however, located only a few days west of Pamplona on the CF, but if you want to record a communal dinner at its best, this is the place.

"Any places where the owners are particularly welcoming or feel passionate about the Camino?"

Same place. Not owners; hospitaleros/as :)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/cam...ada-to-belorado/albergue-parochial-in-granon/

Good luck!

This looks amazing! Thank you, Alex!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Camino Frances does not go through Lugo, but it does go through Sarria. There are so many pilgrims and albergues in the last 114 km, that communal dinners have pretty much disappeared. I think there is a good one in Ligonde before Melide and San Xulian after Palas de Rei. Good luck.
Thank you for the recommendation, falcon269! I will look into Ligonde. I know what you mean about the Camino Frances not going through Lugo. Since the Primitivo goes through Lugo, though, and Lugo is such a beautiful town, we are going to feature it, too.

The albergues in Ferreira, a day's walk out of Lugo, are not donativo like Grañón, but rather a private (for profit) albergue. That said, they do offer a communal dinner that pilgrims love, a big paella. The owners run two albergues about a half km from each other. One is an old stone house, lots of charm, and the other is a modern shed turned minimalist albergue, very modern and functional. Both offer the dinner and I have stayed in and enjoyed both very much. Their website:
https://www.alberguesdeferreira.com/

You can find lots of pictures by clicking around the site.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since Granon albergue has instruments, they sometimes get lucky, when a good pianist walks in:

But most times, ordinary people, who can play a little guitar/piano, can also make it a very good evening. And the staff is very good at jazzing up the mood, with their attitude and welcomeness.

And it is always a good community. I have had some very good moments there. And this albergue prides itself of never refusing a pilgrim: Somehow, they will find a solution to the housing.

I'm with you Grayland. Happy, happy people noshing down on happy happy food on a happy happy camino...
And if the locations make a narrative thread it won't matter that the geography is a bit screwed. Or that the best communal meals on the camino are the spontaneous ones that happen when people talk to each other rather than their guidebooks and their apps and scurry around some benighted Pueblo in search of something that passed when everyone started demanding ketchup and more wine.

So I'll add Como Sapiens to the possible locations. A restaurateur who really understands pilgrims. Unfortunately located in Atapuerca rather than anywhere near Lugo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am of mixed emotions about yet another documentary that will attract even more crowds.
The camino is suffering from over exposure right now and is rapidly evolving...which way it is evolving is open to the opinion of the observer.

Just my opinion, of course.
Yes, we can agree on that. On the other hand, oldtimers as we are, who are we to deny the next generation of pilgrims/wannabies access to the same experiences we cherish? I must say, I am very ambivalent on this issue. Hopefully, the Camino will grow with the demand and cater for it. I for one really want more people to experience the magic of The Camino, in a good way, of course.

And yes, @Tincatinker , those are the best meals; spontaneous, and with good will from all participants, sharing and cooperating. Magic moments..

In defence of Amy this is at least a slightly different take on the Camino than I've seen before and I don't think we can be too selfish about keeping these experiences to ourselves.

Agree with you Alex, I was accosted by two TV crews last year and while I do have fears about the camino reaching over saturation I also can't be greedy about something so wonderful. While I love the CF I'll be taking the path less travelled next time to make some extra room for new pilgrims.

Tincantinker I also 100% agree with you that self made meals with camino family are the really special ones.

Amy I'd be grateful if you could let us know when this is due to be on TV and what country? If you were prepared to go a little west Albergue Verde in Hospital de Órbigo is interesting. Home made and grown communal meals.

@Tincatinker : This great photo comes back to me time and time again as the (one of many...) spirit of The Camino: :)

Wifi.jpg

Edit:

Agree with you Alex, I was accosted by two TV crews last year and while I do have fears about the camino reaching over saturation I also can't be greedy about something so wonderful.
I hope that when the day I lay my staff down, there will be many persons continuing to walk The Camino and have the same eye-opening experiences I had on my first Camino. From another place, I will envy them, but at the same time, encouraging them. Past pilgrims encouraged me.

Edit II: But we are completely hijacking the OP's thread...:oops:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello there! I am new to this forum and am grateful to see that it exists. I am working on a documentary tv series that will feature the stretch of the Camino from Lugo to Santiago de Compostela, and we want to feature the unique communal experience of eating on the Camino. Any recommendations for great albergues that offer food (or have communal kitchens) or special restaurants/taverns to visit? Any places where the owners are particularly welcoming or feel passionate about the Camino?
I should note that I also plan to hike the Camino Frances - separate from anything involving the series.
Again nowhere near Lugo but 2-3 days out of Pamplona in the parroquial albergue in Estella there are sometimes communal dinners. It depends upon the hospitalero/a.

I must say I agree with Tincatinker and Grayland, but to answer your question about communal meals on the CF; there are the ones done spontaneously by a group of pilgrims and the ones served by the albergue kitchen sometimes enlisting the help of pilgrims to prepare, serve and clean-up. Here is a short list from memory: Orisson, Roncevalles which sells tickets for communal tables at 2 restaurants, Palo de Avellano in Zubiri, municipal in Zalbaldika, Camino del Perdon in Uterga, Casa Magica in Villatuerta, Pedro's albergue in Ciruena, muni in Granon, El Afar in Hornillos, Monastery at San Anton, Ermita de San Nicolas, La Mochila in Itero de Vega, En el Camino in Boadilla, Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos, Benedictine Monastery in Sahagun, Albergue Tio Pepe in Vilar de Mazarife, Alea in Ponferrada, Albergue de Ferreiro, Albergue at Santa Irene.
Some may argue that these aren't truly communal meals but the albergue maybe is situated in a village with no other place to eat, so one may be forced to dine at shared tables with a fixed menu of salad, bread, wine and either pork, chicken or fish.

Last edited:
will feature the stretch of the Camino from Lugo to Santiago de Compostela, and we want to feature the unique communal experience of eating on the Camino
Here is a short list from memory: Orisson, Roncevalles which sells tickets for communal tables at 2 restaurants, Palo de Avellano in Zubiri, municipal in Zalbaldika, Camino del Perdon in Uterga, Casa Magica in Villatuerta, Pedro's albergue in Ciruena, muni in Granon, El Afar in Hornillos, Monastery at San Anton, Ermita de San Nicolas, La Mochila in Itero de Vega, En el Camino in Boadilla, Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos, Benedictine Monastery in Sahagun, Albergue Tio Pepe in Vilar de Mazarife, Alea in Ponferrada, Albergue de Ferreiro,
The scope of the project is probably subject to change, but none of those is anywhere near the Lugo to Santiago stretch!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I know but the OP said she was planning on walking CF and was looking for information. I totally agree with "subject to change" for example I have stayed at Casa Magica 3 times and it was never the same dinner service.

Villares de Origo-great!

Both of these albergues offer excellent communal meals. Fuente del Peregrino in Ligonde offers free coffee to passing pilgrims. Sometimes, when the projector is working, there is an afternoon movie with popcorn followed by an optional prayer group. The evening meal is excellent with the usual vino tinto, and when I stayed there in 2013, there was after dinner liquours. In the morning there is an excellent breakfast and the whole experience is donativo. The only problem is when it is wet, the smell of cow dung over the whole village can be a bit strong

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hello...my Camino started in Leon...there are 2 special albergues for me...NUESTRA SEÑORA DEL PILAR in Rabanal del Camino, they had a great host, a man called Lobo (his real name was Wolf) who was so nice to us. Told us a lot of stories...etc. And A PEDRA just at the entrance of Sarria, next to a OFICINA DE TURISMO, we had a CENA COMUNITARIA (group dinner), lots of stories, great moment. And delicious dinner. Hope I could help you a bit. Just remember, you make your own camino, you stop when you feel like stopping, everyone has a different perspective, because we all have our personal issues (great ones and a little bit less than graeat ) SO ENJOY YOUR MOMENTS AND BUILD YOUR CAMINO !!!!!! Buen Camino

There is also one very cute between AIREXE and PALAS, called “la (hormiga)”...BUEN CAMINO

Iglesia de Santiago El Real Logrono is a must for a communal meal and a mass next door if your interested.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
can I suggest : Alb Parroquial in Bercianos del Real Camino where we all shared a very large paella and later had to sing for our supper !! also Alb Casa del Pescador in Ambasmestas - excellent meal and the lady did all our washing.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Casa rural la Pearla negra Azqueta, about 7kms past Estella. Most amazing food. Lovely hosts, communal table.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back