• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking an app for The Camino Norte

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Good morning, afternoon, evening my fellow pilgrims around the world!

In preparation for my upcoming Camino Norte trip I have gone online seeking an updated and "workable" phone app for this route.
In my searches I find The Wise Pilgrim app as the predominate one, but find the reviews on this app as only 2.3 Stars, with many users commenting that it stops working while activated.
My question is; Does anyone have any recommendations for a Norte app, which they have used recently and are happy with the outcome ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My Camino app of choice is the Buen Camino app.
I also have Wise Pilgrim, but I mostly use Buen Camino.
It has many features, like a stage planner, and it will show the distance to the next town in real time.

I knew if anyone would know it would probably be you (LOL!)

Thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bob, do you speak Spanish at all? Even if you don't, I think you probable would be able to make good use of it. Eroski Consumer has an amazing app with absolutely everything you need for the Camino. You can download it from your App store at no cost. If you'd like to take a look at what it's like check their webpage - which has the same information and you can get an idea of what the app is like. I've used it for different Caminos and would not consider using anything else because it is so reliable and continually updates relevant information;

https://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

I used the wisepilgrim app and for the most part was quite satisfied. There were a few issues at times but when I look at what they were it was more about my phone, the local area I was in and what was servicing that area than the app. But, it easier to just get mad at the app. That was in 2018 and I know from experience that apps improve from the initial releases. In any event whatever app you chose please research in the norte forum the alternate routes around much of the road walking. In using that information, some of which are in wisepilgrim, you will experience some of the most spectacular sections of the norte experience. Don't think not following every official step of defined route is missing something. All the Camino routes are shifting and adjusting with increasing regularity. Unfortunately, many of those adjustments by the local authorties seem to take the easier path of booting perigrinos off to the shoulder of roads.

I use the wise pilgrim app. I've never had a problem with it stopping working in it's current form, unless they mean the initial offline map install, which you do once at home. It takes a while. I have had quibbles with the offline map resolution a few times, but Google maps will rescue you if needs be. The vertical map is very useful, especially on the Norte, where the hills are the main feature. Unfortunately, the blue dot (where you are) doesn't always work in that mode. The guide part is great, and after getting used to the foibles, I think it's a pretty good app.

Don't be surprised if the author pops up with a comment, he's a regular on the forum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have the Wise Pilgrim (Norte) app on my phone to help me plan for my coming trip in August 2022 and I have not experienced any issues with it so far.

I also use the Buen Camino app as I think they compliment each other very well

In preparation for my upcoming Camino Norte trip I have gone online seeking an updated and "workable" phone app for this route.
In my searches I find The Wise Pilgrim app as the predominate one, but find the reviews on this app as only 2.3 Stars, with many users commenting that it stops working while activated.
My question is; Does anyone have any recommendations for a Norte app, which they have used recently and are happy with the outcome ?

Trailsmart. Great app its free works in airplane mode and you can purchase an offline map if you so desire

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for all the information. I will start my research and hopefully come to a swift decision.
Happy planning and walking to all of you!

I knew if anyone would know it would probably be you (LOL!)

Thank you
I agree with trecile. Don't forget Gronze.com that also has lots of choices does a great job of keeping open/closed albergues up to date and has pilgrim reviews. Camino Ninja app is also supposed to be good but I haven't used it. I use Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim also. Call ahead to make sure things are open in these Covid times. No app or webpage is 100% correct about open and closed albergues.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wise Pilgrim developer here to say that the app should not have any crash causing bugs. And if you find one, I’m happy to fix it.

A major update to all of the apps will roll out this weekend, Spring is near!
I bought your bundle about 5 years ago and have used it many times. I am thinking of starting in Samport on the Aragones late in the year. Do you have plans to update that app? Thanks for all you do for us pilgrims.

I bought your bundle about 5 years ago and have used it many times. I am thinking of starting in Samport on the Aragones late in the year. Do you have plans to update that app? Thanks for all you do for us pilgrims.
I do! It should be done this month.
I am eyeballs deep in a complete rebuild of the website, and part of that process is making sure that all of the apps are updated to a common level of functionality... which means that some of the orphaned apps (the Aragonés and the Inglés) will finally be updated.

Thank you for all the information. I will start my research and hopefully come to a swift decision.
Or you can be like me and just download all of them. 🤪
Camino Ninja app is also supposed to be good but I haven't used it.
I haven't used it yet, but of course I've downloaded it. 😅
However, the Norte isn't one of the routes that it covers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or you can be like me and just download all of them. 🤪

I haven't used it yet, but of course I've downloaded it. 😅
However, the Norte isn't one of the routes that it covers.
See you have just proved that me saying I haven't used the app is not fake news ;)

If you decide to try the Buen Camino app (it's free, so no dowside to trying it) be sure to watch the video tutorial. The introduction is in Spanish, but it's in English at the 1:12 mark.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have the Wise Pilgrim (Norte) app on my phone to help me plan for my coming trip in August 2022 and I have not experienced any issues with it so far.

I also use the Buen Camino app as I think they compliment each other very well
I absolutely agree I have used 3 of the Wise Pilgrim apps and really like them. I also have Buen Camino which does compliment

I have used 3 of the Wise Pilgrim apps and really like them. I also have Buen Camino which does compliment the Norte Wise Pilgrim app and I will be using both on again on the Norte this year.

Have you tried Gronze?

Thank you all. I now have lot's of resources and research to do.

Thanks again,

Bob

Far Out Guides (formerly Guthook) has an app for the Norte. I have only used it for the Appalachian Trail in the US, but it is comprehensive and easy to use.

Wise Pilgrim developer here to say that the app should not have any crash causing bugs. And if you find one, I’m happy to fix it.

A major update to all of the apps will roll out this weekend, Spring is near!
Hi Michael. I’m currently in Pedrosa de Valdeporres and I’m suddenly having trouble with your Camino Olvidado app. Since last night, every time I tap the map icon(upper right corner), it collapses the app rather than opening a map. Help, please? I’m using a 16 month-old iPhone 13.

The problem resolved mid-morning. Thank you.
A question for Michael. We have downloaded the Wise Pilgrim Norte Ap on our iPhones at home in preparation for our hike starting next week. We are having a problem with the offline map. When we go from the standard or satellite view online to the offline map, the blue or red dotted route disappears. I have reinstalled both the ap and the map without improvement. Any suggestions?

I do! It should be done this month.
I am eyeballs deep in a complete rebuild of the website, and part of that process is making sure that all of the apps are updated to a common level of functionality... which means that some of the orphaned apps (the Aragonés and the Inglés) will finally be updated.
I found this thread with you on it and I have a problem with the Olvidado app- it suddenly started closing the app every time I tap the map icon. Please help?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For the Norte recently, I used both Gronze and Wise Pilgrim.

Don't forget, "current information"(once on the Norte), from fellow pilgrims and at Albergues may trump any app or website!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.