Search 62305 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Seeking books/articles for someone who hasn't heard of the camino

I’m wondering if anyone could recommend books or articles for someone who has never even heard of the Camino de Santiago but feels the need for a long “backpacking trip” in Europe to clear her head and get some perspective on her life and problems. I know that dozens (or hundreds) of camino memoirs have been published, but I don't want to recommend that type of book because I think something broader than one individual’s personal experience would be more helpful -- e.g., about the camino's history, the value/purpose of pilgrimage, the value/rewards of walking, day-to-day life on the camino (in a general sense). Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
@David Tallan has compiled an excellent bibliography and put it in the Resources section here. A number of those books have been discussed in threads in the Books section of the forum.

For awhile we had a book club on the forum. You might find this thread interesting - it was the first thread asking for nominations of books to discuss, so it includes quite a variety of suggestions.

I would caution against overwhelming your friend with information and experiences. Either the idea strikes her fancy early on, or it doesn't.

C clearly

Staff member
Most years since 2012
Last edited:
Thank you so much for the bibliography and the link to the wonderful article by Carver and Jeter. I think the article is exactly what's needed. I agree that it's best not to overwhelm a person with info and experiences (I studiously avoided reading other people's accounts of the camino before I walked) but the article is just enough to impart a sense of why one might want to do this and what to expect along the way. Thank you!

Sheesh

2009, 2013, (2022)
Awwh crumbs, I was REALLY getting into that article, thinking right on. But then along comes the phrase "belligerent German." Dang, how I wish the authors had used some other descriptor that didn't disparage any nationality. The German pilgrims I met on Camino were some of the nicest, most inclusive pilgrims of all.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

trecile

Staff member
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese
The German pilgrims I met on Camino were some of the nicest, most inclusive pilgrims of all.
I agree. On my 2019 Camino Portuguese I walked mostly with German speakers, but they always used English when we were all together.

TrvlDad1

Covidyard Bob
2017 Frances from Saria
2018 Finnisterre & Ingles
2019 Portuguese from Valenca
2020 Assisi(cancel.)
Perhaps show or buy her Briarley’s guide book which has commentary and might comfort her as to ease and accommodations.

Scott Sweeney

Veteran Member
I’m wondering if anyone could recommend books or articles for someone who has never even heard of the Camino de Santiago but feels the need for a long “backpacking trip” in Europe to clear her head and get some perspective on her life and problems. I know that dozens (or hundreds) of camino memoirs have been published, but I don't want to recommend that type of book because I think something broader than one individual’s personal experience would be more helpful -- e.g., about the camino's history, the value/purpose of pilgrimage, the value/rewards of walking, day-to-day life on the camino (in a general sense). Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
Off The Road by Jack Hitt.

Dalieb

Spring 2019
read "I'm off then" great read, humorous and informative.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

walkinglover

Frances, '16 and '18; Portuguese '17; Ingles - 19
First, watch the movie, "The Way." Then, order the guide by John Brierley. He has one for the Frances, Ingles, and Portuguese route. You can find many youtube videos by those who have walked, and there are other movies in addition to the one above.

SPLENDID McFLOWEY

Del Norte Oct 22
Portuguese Dec 22

Most read last week in this forum

A newish book. Has anyone decided to walk a Camino after reading this book? Or have you walked a Camino - maybe a few times - then read it and found more inspiration to walk even more? I'm...
I have just finished Medieval Irish Pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela. A review under Cambridge University Press begins: "This is an easy book to review as it was an entirely pleasurable read." I...
Richard Ray submitted a new resource: Walking Gratefully: A Camino Story - A pilgrimage of gratitude sure to resonate with peregrinos at every stage of life. Read more about this resource...