• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking input on Granite Gear and REI backpacks, et al.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
I am hiking the Camino Primitivo in September/October 2022 and seeking a backpack with the following features:

1. measurements suitable for carry-on for American and Iberian (22” x 15.75” x 9.84”)

2. light or ultralight (between 2-3.5 lbs)

3. practical features/organization (nothing too complicated), and in the 35-60 L range.

Next week I am going to my local REI to try and test backpacks. I have my eye on the following packs and was curious if anyone had strong opinions on them (excellent Camino backpack, overkill for Camino, etc.), mostly by Granite Gear and one REI:

- Granite Gear Crown2 60 Pack
2 lbs 4.7 oz

- Granite Gear Crown2 38 Pack
2 lbs 1.5 oz

- Granite Gear Perimeter 50 Pack
3 lbs

- Granite Gear Blaze 60 Pack
3 lbs 1.6 oz

- REI Co-op Flash 45 Pack
2 lbs 8.5 oz

Thanks for you input!

Mike

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mike

With those dimensions the permitted volume is 56litres. Knock off the structure of the rucksack, hip belt and so-on and allow for the fact that your sack will not end up with straight sides and right-angles and I think you’re looking at well under 50 litres nominal capacity. I use an Osprey kestrel 38 and if I crammed it to capacity I doubt it would be certain to pass as hand luggage on a budget carrier.

@linkster already mentioned Gossamer Gear, and they have a nice sale (for you folks in america). I throw in the Kumo pack. About 600g, large enough (and some) for a late summer camino, well made, kinda waterproof, lots of bells and whistles. I am aware its the second time i recommend it today, so just to be clear, i am not sponsored or anyhow affiliated to/by Gossammer ;-)

You might also look online at Decathalon's Quechua MH500 pack. I just used it on a short 2 week Camino and found it to be very comfortable to wear and the features were convenient without being fussy. I pack extremely light and the 30L (2.6#) had all the room I needed. A 40L (2.8#) is also available. I initially shopped for an ultra light pack, but the extra ounces were not noticeable. I also appreciated the ability to access the pack from the front or the top.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After researching many, many options for my Camino backpack - using pretty much the same criteria you listed (size, weight, and simplicity) - I eventually settled on the REI Trail 40 (at 3 lb.) and have been very happy with its performance on multiday hikes in advance of its debut on my own Camino next spring. (There are also good reviews on REI.com and in these forums from folks who have already used it on their own Caminos.)

I scored mine at a clearance sale price when the newer (current) model was released, but at $129 it's still a good deal, especially since a raincover is included. And if you can wait until the next REI 20% sale (the latest one ended today, as it happens) it's an even better deal.

I love my Osprey 38L, I think is plenty for Camino. Never had Gossamer gear, REI makes great equipment, but they are a little heavier on the packs! I think comfort is number one! My choice is Osprey, I own 3 different sizes from 38-65, and from the Appalachian Trail to Camino De Santiago, and using different sizes, at different hikes, never had an issue! Hope you pick what is best for you! They will help you at REI, BUEN CAMINO!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just used the Arcteryx Aeros 30 L and I really loved the running vest style shoulder straps. Well made, has a structured back panel, lightweight, and very comfortable. If you need more room, there is a larger version as well, but I’d really encourage you to carry the absolute minimum. The less you have, the happier you will be.

suitable for carry-on

This seems to be the most critical (and limiting) specification for your pack.
I noted dimensions of 22” x 15.75” x 9.84"

My pack suggestion does not meet that aspect but is well within your weight specification.

I use some zPacks.com gear.

Relevant here is my pack first used in 2015 and has been thrice around the world and has a few more years of service left.

The latest version is an Arc Blast 55l backpack with posted dimensions of 7" x 13" x 30", a weight of 20.3 oz and has a frame. Posted price is USD 349. So, too long for you.

I also notice zPacks have a frameless pack: Nero 38 L backpack. Dimensions are said to be 5.5" x 12" x 23" with a posted weight of 10.9 oz. While 1" longer it is well under on the other two. Posted price is USD 199.

From zPacks I purchased a bag liner complete with a soft carry handle. For transport I put the bag liner OVER the pack, so covering all the awkward corners etc. As I use trekking poles, I check in my pack etc.

I wish you well with your search.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

After researching many, many options for my Camino backpack - using pretty much the same criteria you listed (size, weight, and simplicity) - I eventually settled on the REI Trail 40 (at 3 lb.) and have been very happy with its performance on multiday hikes in advance of its debut on my own Camino next spring. (There are also good reviews on REI.com and in these forums from folks who have already used it on their own Caminos.)

I scored mine at a clearance sale price when the newer (current) model was released, but at $129 it's still a good deal, especially since a raincover is included. And if you can wait until the next REI 20% sale (the latest one ended today, as it happens) it's an even better deal.

The REI Trail 40 is my preferred pack for Camino hiking. Works for carry on and most importantly fopr me has TONS of organization options. Pockets and pouches inside and out.

I really wish they made a 50L version!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.