• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking Last Minute Advice!

Chris Hassell

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all!

In two days time, I leave the UK for my very first Camino! I'm excited, nervous and expectant for everything the Camino holds! Being my first Camino, is there anything you would suggest to a newbie like me? Things I mustn't forget to take, important things I should know in advance etc.? I've trawled the forums and guide books but I thought it may be helpful to see if there's anything people might suggest that I've not thought about already!

Thanks all,

God bless, Chris

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all!

In two days time, I leave the UK for my very first Camino! I'm excited, nervous and expectant for everything the Camino holds! Being my first Camino, is there anything you would suggest to a newbie like me? Things I mustn't forget to take, important things I should know in advance etc.? I've trawled the forums and guide books but I thought it may be helpful to see if there's anything people might suggest that I've not thought about already!

Thanks all,

God bless, Chris

Regardless what any one tells you "Start like an old man "
After a few weeks you will finish as a "Young Man"
The reverse can finish many a Camino.
Forget the mob, you will join them when they have to stop and just take in the space, culture, friendship and enjoy your inner peace.
Buen Camino Chris and God bless you also.

PS After you put 2 euros in the fourth church to light up the place...save your money;)

I would also add to the excellent advice above don't pack your expectations - leave those at home. Take each day as it comes and let the Camino unfold for you as it does. Once you finish walking for the day you can plan the next. Rumi was right - each day, experience, person you meet is a gift.

Buen Camino.
NP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, ditto on traveling light. Don't carry "what if's" and "just in case's".
Stay flexible and roll with the punch if you get to crowded spots. It's all good. Not like there's a bad time to holiday in Spain, even if it is crowded.
After just a few days you get a feel for walking the Camino and know exactly what you want to do everyday.
ultreia

The previous pilgrims have each provided you with excellent advice; go back and read them again and make sure you think about what and how each wrote their advice. Doing so will enhance your experience of the Camino.

Be conscious of going slowly - though this advice actually means to move slowly there is a deeper meaning. My intent is that you understand that you go gently with an open heart, mind, and eyes. Be present in each moment, see the people before you and be a source of peace in each environment you enter. You are the pilgrim - you are only passing through and are not a resident - express gratitude for what is provided. Listen to that still, small voice that whispers and counsels you - follow it.

You join the path of millions of pilgrims over hundreds of years. You will follow in their footsteps. May our Father guide you and embrace you in each step you take.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[/SIZE]
, everyone seemed to have this and I had another one...which I binned and had someone post me out Brierly's book, it did not disappoint.
Pack light and be prepared to have an experience of a lifetime.

Buen Camino :)
Hi Pauline,I don't have it . :D
Never use any guide from Brierly .

Wish you well,Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go slower downhill than uphill. I am always pretty fit from the outset and it seems to be the people who crawl uphill then charge downhill who you will see with injuries later.

You need less than you think. Don't take anything you would not be able to drop into a gear recycling box if it turns out you don't use/need it.

Study the water availabilty ahead. Don't carry 3l all the time (3kg). There are only a few stretches where there are no fountains for extended distances. Max 17km.

Hi all

Thank you all so much for your wise and helpful advice! As several of you have referred to, I'm aware that this is as much a spiritual journey as it is a physical one (though of course it is certainly the latter as well!), so, Michael B, as you mention, I hope I will be open and sensitive enough to recognise the Father's guidance and promptings. I hope I'm able to treat each day as a gift and each encounter I have with people, surroundings and circumstances as an opportunity. Thank you all for your practical advice as well. Thornley, I love that advice about starting like an old man in order to finish like a young man! There seems to be much wisdom in that! Thanks for the suggestion about checking distances between water availability too. I did read that there are fewer water fountains on the first day, but hopefully I won't need to carry a lot of water all the time.

My bag is now packed and I leave the house tomorrow morning!

Thanks one and all once again. I really appreciate your willingness to respond.

God bless, Chris

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What's Marmite. I've heard that maybe cows produce it and I don't mean milk!
Marmite is the brewing industry's 2nd greatest gift to the world...after beer of course! I love Marmite, but the squeezy jar of the stuff I took with me in 2015 remained unopened until I got home from my week's walk to Viana!

There's a lovely old woman who runs a family run hostel in cezor menor. (Possibly end of your 3rd day next town after pamplona). She is an angel and X nurse. I suppose you could say she has her own ministry as she looked after my boys blisters. Pure magic and my most memorable stay here. Sore feet 3rd day stay here.
Bon camino

There's a lovely old woman who runs a family run hostel in cezor menor. (Possibly end of your 3rd day next town after pamplona). She is an angel and X nurse. I suppose you could say she has her own ministry as she looked after my boys blisters. Pure magic and my most memorable stay here. Sore feet 3rd day stay here.
Bon camino

In Cizur Menor that would be Maribel Roncal who takes reservations at her albergue which is only closed in November.
See more here.
http://www.elalberguedemaribel.com/

Nearby the Asador El Tremendo
offers simple, hearty food and an open fire in winter.
http://www.asadoreltremendo.com/

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all!

Thanks all,

God bless, Chris

Travel very light. One change of clothes. Well broken in footwear. Plenty of shops on way

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Don't make reservations for the day after tomorrow. You may very well find that someone else's opinion open how far you can go in two days is not how far you can go in two days. It's a real bummer to tell a pilgrim no beds are available and then the bed stays empty because the person who made the reservation is twenty kilometers back treating a blister or something worse. Or they got to our village at noon and thought "wow, great weather; I can easily get to the next village."

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back