• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking more joy ….and more pain!

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances April 2022
Hola! my fellow peregrinos!

In 3 weeks I begin my pilgrimage on the Camino Frances!

I seek the joy of discovery, the pain of sore muscles,

the delight of conversation, the sweet bliss of boredom,

the communion with other pilgrims, the disgust with dirt and sweat,

the peace of spiritual contemplation, and the annoyances of other pilgrims.

I’m prepared to get lost, to be embarrassed, to be uncomfortable.

I seek the full and deep experience without the pacifiers of the Internet and the comforting connections back home.

I seek a full stop mental switch so I can be present in the moment.

To that end I will be signing off the Forum shortly and for the duration of my pilgrimage. I’ve learned a lot here and enjoyed the conversations, but I don’t want to learn anymore. No more pictures, stories, advice, what is better or worse. I will also disable my social media –Instragram, Strava (oh no!), Facebook—and email accounts. I will maintain only Telegram with my immediate family who wish to hear from me occasionally and know that I am still alive.

I did a pilgrimage before during the pre-Internet Cloud era and it was life transforming. It was a 4,500 km journey across Canada on bicycle in 1978 with two high school friends. We were 17 years old. There was no on-line forum, there was no email, no guides, no apps, no social media. Even telephone calls were so expensive that we took turns making collect calls weekly back home to one of the three sets of parents. And we sent a few postcards. For three months we figured things out on our own using paper maps and face to face advice on the road when we ran into trouble or got lost. We experienced the amazing kindness of strangers along the way, the exquisite pain in the heat on the mountain passes, deep spiritual yearning and comfort, intense homesickness, the unexpected delight in discovering places like Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal, the pain and misery of unanticipated hills and rain storms along Lake Superior, and the joy of friendships that last to this day.

I seek the full joy and pain again.

Buen Camino!

(If you are interested in exploring being present, I recommend reading Nancy Frey at walkingtopresence.com)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You sound like you have a very good idea of what you are getting into. May you have a glorious trip. And when things go wrong I am sure you will overcome the discomforts and appreciate those days as well. The Spanish people and all the pilgrims travelling with you will rally around you and lift you up and help you when needed just as you are there for them. Have a great adventure!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are interested in exploring being present, I recommend reading Nancy Frey at walkingtopresence.com)
Thank you @James van Hemert Your post has come at the right time for me. A timely reminder of Nancy Frey. The serendipity of the Way. ❤️

Nancy’s writings resonate with me particularly at this time. I’m about to walk my …th Camino. I’m not a social media user - other than this forum! But I’ve written a blog for every camino since 2011 - mostly for myself, but also to share my experiences with my family and close friends. And to have a words and pictures record. All my many blogs have been transformed into old fashioned hard copy books that I cherish.

I love having these ‘records’ of my walks. But I also know that the thinking about what I might write about ‘tonight’ and what photos I might include is a distraction from being present while I’m walking. I am considering ‘letting go’ of this distraction for my next camino. I wonder what conclusion I will come to 🙏. I’d best decide soon. We are leaving in less than a week and will begin walking on 1 April.😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hope your Camino is everything you want it to be. Excitement and routine. Camaraderie and alone time. Strength and discomfort.
But, please, no pain. If you feel pain, stop and rest.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back