• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

seeking other walkers leaving SJPP late April 2012

Hi
A friend and I were planning to leave SJPP late April 2012- but serious risk that my friend may not make it!!
Im committed with non-refundable flights already paid for but really really do not want to walk deserted bits of countryside.
I know I know, I will meet people along the way, but I am really worried about the first week or so, especially leaving SJPP late April and walking through (over?) the Pyrenees on my own and just the whole security thing.
Is anyone planning on leaving SJPP around that time?
and just a bit about me...
I am a middle-aged woman planning on walking from SJPP to Finisterre, using municipal/church refugios, hopefully the whole way. Im reasonably fit but not looking to set any records, want to enjoy the journey and the destination.
karen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Karen,

Have you tried the various threads in the Camino Crime forum? There is one on safe for a female to walk alone. (I tried to find the URL with the search function but either the site or my computer is moving slowly today).

It is perfectly reasonable for a first-timer to be anxious. I met a lady in 1998 who was walking the Camino for the second time because she had been so worried about her safety on the first pilgrimage that she didn't really enjoy it. Having arrived at Santiago unharmed she decided she would walk again knowing that she would be safe.

You are not the only one to be concerned and being sensible is no bad thing.

It takes a while for people to reply to posts and you might want to relaunch this nearer the time as some people who will be travelling then are not yet aware of that fact.

Hi Methodistpilgrim

thanks for the advice. I will check out the camino crime thread and also good idea to re-launch my post closer to the time.
I have just found out that my friend may not make it so has really put a dampner on my plans. Still determined to get there and reading all the posts on this forum keeps me motivated.

karen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Karen-- as a solo walker in late May I understand your trepidation. Please know that from the moment you stepped in SJPDP you will see a number of other Pilgrims which should provide you a sense of security. At least it did to me. Most Pilgrims will get on the road by 0700-0800 hours. If you wait by the Church/Spanish Gate around this time range you will see the frequent flow and contingent of Pilgrims starting out and you can tag along a group if that makes you feel safer . Get to the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP the day prior to your start day and ask if they recommend the VALCARLOS ROUTE for the next day. This route is meant to be the "safer route" for those days of iffy weather as it offers more options for safe shelter along The Way. The volunteers at SJPDP are local folks who understand the weather patterns in the mountains and can offer the best advice for what may be the next day weather. I did walked by myself most of the 22 Kms (choice) but was never too far of sight from other pilgrim(s) either in front of behind me. I did read up on basic "What to Do" in the event of thunderstorms/snowstorm and felt fairly empowered by this knowledge. Not sure how much flexibility you have, but my strong advice is that, as best you can, you wait for good weather day to get on that first leg SJPDP-Roncesvalles. Not only for safer weather, but also the vistas are breathtaking and would be a shame to miss them! That said, I had zero flexibility :? and started on a day when the weather forecast was rainy. Guess what? It was the most glorious, sunny, gorgeous day! Not a drop along the 22 Kms. Go figure. Wishing you all the Best! Buen Camino!

Quick Note: if you click on the "Camino Calendar" link posted at the bottom of this page, you can enter your name on the intended start day and from where. As the date approaches, hopefully you will get to see other's names starting around your date as well.

thanks Olivares
I have registerd my departure date on the calendar.

Good to know there is an alternative route for bad weather -I have 3 days "fat" built in so could afford to wait a day if need be. I had intended training from Paris to St Jean in the same day but that means I dont arrive till 7ish at night so may consider staying overnight in Bayonne and travelling to St Jean earlier in the day so I can check out conditions.

You must have recently finished and obviously walked solo - are you female?

karen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Karen you might want to check out the private albergue 8km out of SJPP. Pre-booking is essential.

http://www.refuge-orisson.com

Since the first 8km are the worst in terms of elevation many stop here to catch their breath and then walk on to Roncesvalles the next day.

karennz2012 said:
You must have recently finished and obviously walked solo - are you female?

karen
Yes and yes. 8) I am planning a return May 2012, this time I only have time for about 200 Kms. I did LOVED the solo experience. You will start seeing familiar faces right after Roncesvalles-- by Logrono it is a big family (including the annoying "uncles", cute "cousins", diva "nieces", and sweet "Moms"!! :D ) Buen Camino! As many said before me: The Camino will take care of you.

annoying "uncles"
Code for the men who "hit" on the women?!! You can attract the "hound dogs" before you ever leave the Forum! Spanish men in bars are drawn to peregrinas like flies to honey, even at 7 a.m. as they down their coffee with a shot of liquor. Females that make it clear that they are not flirting in response to male overtures, seem to be able to make plenty of friends along the way, and the "uncles" move on to annoy someone else. Flirt even just a little, and you may be doomed to annoyance. Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"annoying "uncles"

:D :D
ha ha ha.....Im over the big 50 -I think if I got "hit on" Id just collapse into hysterics !!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be a good story to bring home to my nearly-adult very pretty daughters.

karen

Karen:

I do not think you should have any problems hiking solo because you are never really solo on the Camino. I do believe, since you are not an experienced hiker, that you should consider staying at Orisson the first day. I have suggested many times on this site, in my opinion, that the first day is the most important day of the entire walk. If you overdue it the effects can impact the next several days.

In addition, pack light, start slowly and the Camino will take care of the rest. I, hopefully, will be walking again a few weeks ahead of you.

Ultreya,
Joe

hi all

feeling much better now about the prospect that I may be travelling solo - now that Ive read more on the forum, had some responses to my posts, and had a few days to get used to the idea.

Currently sorting out accommodation for before and after the Camino.
If I come by train from Paris on one day, I wont get to SJPP till 7pm (maybe 7.30) - will that be too late to get my credencial and get advice on the weather? Would I be better to stay overnight in Bayonne and does anyone have cheap accommodation suggestions for Bayonne?

karen

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
follow-up to my last post -
just saw Sillydoll's reply on another thread with a suggestion for Bayonne hotel - but any more suggestions would be welcome
and also, would prefer to go straight to SJPP but not sure if the timing works
karen

I don't see any problem getting into SJPP at 7 or 7:pM as long as you have a room reserved.
I would prefer to do it this way as you are then ready to mentally start your journey. The pilgrim office is open fairly late as I recall.
If you stay in Bayonne and arrive in SJPP the next day you will need to spend a night in SJPP as it will be too late to leave on the Camino.
Why not get there a night early? You can still decide to spend another night and look around St. Jean and acclimate yourself to your adventure.

I will be coming through SJPP at the end of April from Le Puy but probably not until the very end.
I am allowing about 33 days (or more) from Le Puy to St. Jean (about 750km) so not sure when I will get there on my way to Santiago.

Karen:

I would agree with Grayland that it would be good to arrive that evening versus wait for the next day. I believe the office is open till at least 9:00pm. My experience is that many Pilgrims arrive late in the day. You will still have plenty of time to check in and meet your fellow Pilgrim. Possibly even go to dinner with some. If, per chance, you have decided to only going as far as Orisson (8km) you could spend some time wandering around St. Jean in the morning before leaving.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thanks for responses Grayland and Joe - sorry, I wasnt clear. Regardless of when I arrive at SJPP, I will spend the night and then start early next morning. I was just wondering if maybe I should arrive at SJPP earlier in the day (still staying the night) to ensure I get to the pilgrims office etc. and hopefully catch a dinner with other peregrinos -
but it sounds like it will be okay to arrive 7pm so I will stick with that.
thanks again

karen

Karen I have twice ridden the evening train to SJPP and on both occasions it had other pilgrims on. In 1998 and 2004 most people didn't pre-book, but times have changed and numbers are up.

Try and book accomodation at SJPP as it removes the stress of that issue, try and book Orisson and then after that let the Camino take you where it may.

http://www.refuge-orisson.com

http://www.espritduchemin.org/

is well recommended but has to be pre-booked. E.mail and find out when you can book your night there. They also do dinner so check what time.

thanks methodistpilgrim,
good to know someone has done that route by train to SJPP and it was okay. am determined now to do that and will reserve night at SJPP l'spirit chemin when their bookings open.
since then, Ive seen a couple of posts that say the pilgrim office at SJPP is open till 9.30.

karen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm getting ready for an April departure. Thought about mid April but have also had suggestions a later start is okay too. For the early stretch in particular, I would welcome company. Let me know how you feel about this.

You will have several hundred other pilgrims leaving at the same time you do, so will will find a walking partner right at the beginning. Your pace will be different from others', so you may not walk in lock step, but you will meet old friends, and make new ones, each evening. Approach others, meet them, ask for help, and help others right from the start, and you won't need to find one in advance of your arrival in St. Jean. Everyone is situated similarly to you, so everyone has the same needs.

Buen camino.

The thought of joining several hundred others on the first leg is a little off putting but who knows? Particularly after the movie The Way, the route may be extremely crowded. Even in April. There are reassurances about doing it solo in that others have gone that way before, the route is well marked out and if one begins with a little research including reading this web page, one should have no difficulty. For a woman and all the uncles? Interesting scenario. Historically, or according to Chaucer's bawdy tales of the pilgrimage to Canterbury, the pilgrimage often included the intrigue mentioned earlier. Or at least in Chaucer's imagination. As a 67 year old male I don't suspect I'll have to deal with any of this. No aunties sipping liquor laced coffee in the mornings on the lookout for liaisons. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is quite a bit of info on this site. I hate to add further but a person who has made a similar pilgrimage told me he stayed the night in Bayonne after flying there from Paris, then taking either a bus or train to SJ, arriving there in mid morning in time to get the passport and then begin the trek in early afternoon. The first day was a moderate walk arriving in Orion (sp) for the night. He had made a reservation for this nicely situated and very accommodating hostel well in advance from his (mine too) home base in Eastern Canada.

A woman and all the uncles scenario reminded me of a story from years ago. A young woman I knew touring India carried an umbrella which she repeatedly used to ward off men who all thought they were handsome, desirable and indispensable. She used the umbrella as a weapon. Imagine that?

This May of this year, 4,315 arrived in Santiago having started in St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Roncesvalles, or Pamplona. They started in April, of course. Another 5,575 joined the end of the walk in Leon, O Cebreiro, and Sarria. In a group that size, you will find one or more Camino Best Friends. You will also find lots of folks who want the same bunk that you want!

There are not enough people seeing "The Way" for the numbers to increase next year, but after it has hit HBO and/or The Movie of the Week, Americans will start thinking about the pilgrimage. I am betting on 10,000 pilgrims from the U.S. in 2016, roughly a tripling.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
AGW1 said:
The thought of joining several hundred others on the first leg is a little off putting but who knows? :)

Why bus to SJPP when you can start walking from Bayonne to Pamplona and and continue on the Frances...You are definitively going to be alone (if that is what you want.
Camino Baztan 5 etapas: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... baztan.htm

Or Via de Bayona from Bayonne to Irun to Burgos 12 days:
http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/

I am planning for Vasco del Interior April 2012:
http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... terior.htm

When walking cross the Pyrenees I would stay the first night in Orisson as mentioned before.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

So many alternatives!!!

buen camino
annie

Fascinating information here and grateful for the input. The numbers are mind boggling but reassuring knowing that there are so many other like minded individuals. The only reference point I'm making at present is a long trek made to the base camp of Everest in 1970. We met no other walkers other than Nepalese people who would join our small group of four, stay with us, pause with us for breaks, and then when the road diverged, would simply part. The pattern followed throughout the 15 day trek. I've heard in the meantime that that route has become well travelled with depressing results--lots of garbage beside the paths. In Spain, while the numbers are large, the path remains enticing and thanks to your input I'll not be disappointed. A kind of enlightenment even before the journey begins. The thought of walking from Bayonne sounds good too, although, as a reply to Karen who aims to go to Finesterre, quite a distance, I never indicated such an intention. Lots of time to consider that option.

Hi AGWI
yay! another newbie starting in April - despite the numbers of prilgrms quoted, the Way remains enticing for me too.
I arrive in SJPP the night of 25 April and start the next day. According to a fellow New Zealander, 1 May is the day to watch out for _ a public holiday and because it is on a Tuesday apparently locals take the Monday off as well to have a long weekend so there are more than usual numbers on the Way.

karen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Karen,
Your posts have propelled me into getting organized myself and begin making plans. April is such a long way off but if you've already purchased your ticket I better get going too. After viewing all the comments, I'm wondering if your apprehension about travelling solo remains. I'd like travelling with someone but as they say one should have no difficulty meeting a fellow traveller. As a morning person, I like walking early. Historical sites are appealing. As a recently retired high school teacher, I have many interests but at the age of 67 realize I may have to pace myself differently from the time I was much younger. So far, plenty of hourly 6k walks in and around Toronto. Easy. Will expand the distances so that they replicate a normal day's trek in Spain.
Arthur

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,
I feel that I may be missing something here, (whether it is in my mind or whatever) but for the life of me when looking for the shortcut to the "Camino Calendar" I cannot find it anywhere. Please can anyone help me find it. I intend starting my walk in early April 2012.
Thank you,
George :?

Good question. I can't find it either. I think it used to be one of the links towards the bottom of the page.

€83,-
At the moment I'm reading a very interesting book by Jim and Eleanor Clem called Buen Camino, Hiking the Camino de Santiago. While there may be many people on the way, distances are vast resulting in isolation much of the time. Evenings in the alberges are a relief and provide a warm, fitting conclusion to a long day of hiking. The writer of the book at the beginning stayed in small hotels. After hiking one day in a rain storm, the warm room and hot shower provided much needed relief. Fascinating book. Nicely written. Amazing detail.

Hi Arthur
Pleased I have motivated you into getting organised. I purchased my ticket ages ago for two reasons:
(1) coming from New Zealand, flights are so expensive that I need to get in early to get good prices
and (2) Im totally anal about being organised when I travel. I have a whole ringbinder on the camino - its sad really....
In response to your comment about pace - from what Ive read there are lots of people in their 60s and 70s walking and age doesnt always dictate pace anyway. well except for those speedy 25 year olds....

and to the last two posts - there was a short conversation on the forum about the calendar not working and one of the moderators was going to look at it after I, and others, couldnt post our departure date. It seemed to have disappeared after that.
Is it possible for one of the moderators to set it up again?
karen

mmn... also starting out in april on or around the 9th so i have a feeling there's going to be a few of us kick about in SJPP.

Camino Calendar? Is that a registrar of start dates? It would be cool to how many people are on the trail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Karen,
Interesting about your situation. I met a girl from NZ while travelling in India many, many years ago. She (a chemist) had been working in Dubai in order to finance the trip. If my memory serves me well, there were currency restrictions for NZealanders thus necessitating such a job to help pay for a longer trip in Asia. I guess that's the price you have to pay for living in such a beautiful country. As for the airfare from Canada--I'll be paying for it with Air Miles and should do okay with a later booking provided Air Canada doesn't go into bankruptcy.
The book I have just finished reading by Jim and Eleanor Clem details nights spent mostly in hotels. The prospect of long hot showers coupled with quiet, soundless nights, was a big incentive. Mind you, they missed out on the camaraderie from others. The book is detailed and includes many beautiful black and white photos. They hiked daily for around 14 miles. When tempted because of rain to take a bus as others did, they simply shortened the hike to around 4 miles. They didn't take any prolonged breaks en route. When tired they simply shortened the day.
Half the fun is planning. Happy to come across this page for it increases my own motivation.
I'll tell you, some of those photos from the book look pretty spare--i.e. empty.
Arthur

Half the fun is planning.
The other half is not following the plan! And maybe another half for the food. And another half for the people. And the last half is the scenery.

Karen,
Here's a poem by Robert Browning from The Flight of the Duchess.
Ours is a great wild country:
If you climb to our castle's top,
I don't see where your eye can stop;
For when you've passed the corn-field country,
Where vine-yards leave off, flocks are packed,
And sheep-range leads to cattle-tract,
And cattle-tract to open-chase,
And open-chase to the very base
Of the mountain, where, set at a funeral pace,
Round about, solemn and slow,
One by one, row after row,
Up and up the pine-trees go,
So, like black priests up, and so
Down the other side again
To another greater, wilder country.

Geo2w said:
Hi,
I feel that I may be missing something here, (whether it is in my mind or whatever) but for the life of me when looking for the shortcut to the "Camino Calendar" I cannot find it anywhere. Please can anyone help me find it. I intend starting my walk in early April 2012.
Thank you,
George :?

Unfortunately, the calendar is no longer available.

See: miscellaneous-topics/topic12070.html

Hi,
I am going to do or as I have previously said hoping to start my Camino in early April. I plan to start walking from SJJP and take my time and enjoy the walk. I am going to Australia starting next Saturday and will be ther visiting my son and his family while there and hopefully do some walking (Perth) so as to get used to walking in some heat. When I get back I will be doing as much walking as I can and finally go on my Camino in April. Learning basic French and Spanish as I have read on the forum that it is preferable to be able to speak some Spanish so as to get understood.
I have walked some long distances in Scotland but none like this one (in time and distance) so I hope to be able to do the walk being fit enough. I was just wondering if there are any tips that I could get from some of the forum about my trip.
Sorry if I have went on a bit but I was just hoping for some help if needed.
To all the walkers who are doing the Camino at the present time and in the future, I hope they all have an enjoyable time.
George :|

Buen Caminos George!

I suspect Perth in the Aussie summer will be much more heat than you'll face on the Camino in April. If you're as lucky as I was this year it'll be perfect walking weather.

Good luck learning a bit of Spanish. It really is worth it. Even if it's not perfect people see that you're making the effort, which is half the battle.

Enjoy Oz!

Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Karen!

I plan on starting in the last day or so of April. What are your dates and where are you flying in to? I haven't booked yet but would love a companion!

Best,
Joan

I too am starting in mid to late April and flying in and out of Paris. I am also a Camino newbie and a solo female traveler What are your dates?

Hello fellow April pilgrims-to-be
In answer to your queries, I am arriving SJPP on 25 April, staying overnight and starting on 26 April.
karen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello there,

I'm starting from Roncesvalles on April 19. I'm also a solo female walker and this is my second Camino. Hope to see you all there!

I am a newbie, solo female starting on April 15 from SJPDP too. Hope to see you all on the way!

Hi, I'm starting the Camino in late April too--walking solo and on the Camino for the first time. My primary concern has been around the weather and keeping my pack light. I packed my pack today and it is 12 pounds. So, I'm thinking 14-15 by the time I top it up water and snacks. It's hard to plan for the weather. I find my self expecting it to snow, sleet and rain most of the way since it is rainy season. For those of you who have walked it in April, should I be throwing in a short sleeve shirt? Thanks, ali

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just interested to know how you are managing on 12 pounds. That converts to 5 and a half kilos in my language. are you carrying a sleeping bag? or have you just got ultra ultra-lite gear?

karen

karennz2012 said:
Just interested to know how you are managing on 12 pounds. That converts to 5 and a half kilos in my language. are you carrying a sleeping bag? or have you just got ultra ultra-lite gear?

karen

Hi karen,

I will be walking all April, too and my backpack will be about 6.5- 7 kilos. The secret is good quality tecno gear for runners and merino-wool gear and wearing clothes in layers.

I am a lover of Icebreaker and Smartwool.

My down sleeping bag weighs 450 g (1 pound). Altus rain- jacket- poncho size xs about 400 g (less than 1 pound). My backpack Vaude 1.4 k (3.1 pounds) and so on. Leaves 3-4 k to everything else.
buen camino
annie

Ps. Would you like to get my packing list? i can pm it o you.

Karen,

Please post it here. I'd love to see it as well and I'm sure a few of the other newbies would appreciate it as well.

Anakasha said:
Please post it here. I'd love to see it as well and I'm sure a few of the other newbies would appreciate it as well.
ok this is my packing list (april 2011)
annie´s packing list for Camino Frances

*Vaude Tour 40L Women´s 1400 g
*Altus rain- jacket pocho size xs 400 g
*sleeping bag 450 g (down)
*LifeSystems bed bug sheet 100 g
*towel 115 g
*gaiters 300 g
*spork 10 g
*pegless clothesline 90 g

*old joggers for the evenings and alternative walking shoes 320 g
*flip- flops for the shower room 140 g

*1 Arcteryx technical T- shirt 77g
*shorts Peak Performance 225 g
*summer dress 150 g
*undies & bra x1 + bikini
*leggings for runners lightweight quick- dry Nike
*Seger Trekking Light (Unisex) x2 socks

*guide book John Brierley 304 g
*a note book + pen

*2 zip-locks
*sun- screen Lancome SPF 50 150 ml 150 g
*deodorant, mascara, tooth brush, tooth paste, paracetamol, diclofenac, antihistamin, Compeed, Resorbx2, hair conditioner 100ml, soap bar + case, nail brush

*cell phone, camera + chargers 135 g + 456 g
*day bag

About 7 kg without water.

Wearing:
*cap green military style 150 g
*1 Icebreaker T- shirt
*shorts Peak Performance (capri) 280 g
*1 Silkbody long-sleeve very thin cardigan (good for the hot days as a sunscreen, too)
*1 Arcteryx Caliber Hoody long- sleeve cardigan for travel 313 g
*hiking boots Keen Targhee mids 482 g
*Seger Trekking Light (Unisex) socks
*undies & bra x1

Hey fellow April walkers,Keith here from Ireland.I will be starting from logrono April 23rd,will arrive in logrono the night before.I could only do a week of the camino back in september due to work so will do another 10 days in April and come back and finish the camino next september.I may see some of ye on the way as logrono is 7 days past sjpdp.Wonder what the weathers going to be like tho?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI! I am arriving in Pamplona on May 2 and starting my Camino following morning. I am female travelling solo from Phoenix Arizona. I have my forum patch on my Osprey 24L turqouis pack. My pack weighs 9 1/2 lbs with no water now and all my needs are ultra light! I plan on layering as needed! See you on the Camino!! Anyone there at that time?

My plan is to depart SJPdP on April 27, 2012. I have booked flight to Paris Apr 24-25, then train Paris-Bayonne, staying Bayonne Hotel Loustau (arriving after 2200). Book something at SJPdP (Esprit du Chemin full) for night of Apr 26. Trying to book Orisson for Apr 27 but so far no reply. Afraid to try more than Orisson first day. May chicken out. If I take this HUGE leap of faith, grateful for companions.

Hi Toobizy
I will be a day ahead of you - leaving April 26.
there are two canadians who have posted on the forum who are also leaving SJPP 27 April and staying Orisson night of the 27th - they might see this post and get in touch.
that is a shame you have missed out on l'espirit du chemin - I am staying there the night of 25th.
hope you find somewhere nice to spend your last night before starting your big adventure.
its scary isnt it...but exciting too.
maybe I will see you on the Way - hopefully I will have my forum badge on my pack . I have ordered it but it hasnt arrived yet.
happy training and planning.
karen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all

I will start alone in SJPP in 6 of April 2012. Will go from Portugal by train day 5, arrive SJ in 6 at 900 and start walk that time. Hope to meet you all there.

Bon Camino

Edgar

I see that several of us will be coming down from Paris to begin the French Camino in late April. I'll be arriving in Paris around April 24 or so. Has anyone figured out the train schedules from Paris to SJPP? I'm not sure where and how to book the ticket. Ali

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi ncali12

You can try the french train site (http://www.voyages-scnf.com) or 'rail europe' site which has several country-facing pages (rail-europe.co.nz, rail-europe.co.uk etc)
the french site will give you cheaper fares and you can choose to pick up your ticket at the self-service machine at Gare Montparnasse or have it posted to you.

You need to get a tgv train from Paris to either Bayonne or Biarritz and then a local train to SJPP. Some travel sites will tell you there is no train from Paris to SJPP so you then need to do the booking in two stages, ie Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPP. There are a couple of times you can go. I am on an 8.25am train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a 3.05pm train to SJPP arriving about 4.30.

If you go on the french site you can often get upgrades for very little extra.

happy booking
karen

Hi ncali12 again
just seen the other thread where you asked about train stuff there as well - and I see you have all the info after all.
would definitely book ahead - hope all goes well with your planning
karen

OMG! Heard from Orisson aubergue & paid for it today! This is really happening! Ordered my Camino Badge yesterday. Whoa, Nelly! Hoping to see many Forum members there & en route. My name is Tina. 63 y/o female from Florida. Training still in progress...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My son and I will leave SJPP on the 20th, arriving the night before on the 19th.

Where are people staying when they get to SJPP?

I've already organised my Credential and will have it with me when I arrive on the 20th of April. Should I make my way to the Pilgrim's Office and see where they can suggest? I saw a recommendation for L'Esprit du Chemin but they booked up that night.

Leaving NYC on Tuesday for Paris and arriving in SJPDP late next Friday! Starting out on Sunday the 15th. The panic has just set in! Looking forward to meeting up with others! Buen Camino everyone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Toobizy
Ive sent you a couple of PM replies but for some unknown reason some of my replies seem to submit okay and some dont - there is no rhyme or reason to this.
so anyway.... I can definitely see the Bayonne to SJPP local train on the raileurope site - if you still cant, it may be because the time you want doesnt go every day - i.e. the 3.05 goes every day but some of the other times are only on certain days

You can also use http://www.ter-scnf.com This is the local train site and is in french - note that the logo makes it look like its TEN but its actually TER. click on the 'se deplacer en ter' tab. I can see that train on the TER site as well.

good luck with your booking. let me know how you get on.
happy training - not long to go now.
karen

Hey, Karennz, been pm-ing you too but doesn't seem to be working as planned. Your train site was right on, but my French is just too bad to make heads or tails of it. Plan B: pantomime & very bad French when I get up in the morning at Bayonne--train, bus, or taxi. I sort-of know how to say "St. Jean Pied de Port!" hope to see you! Thanks for all your help!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back