Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking pilgrims to participate in my virtual blood pledge drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

On September 15, I will begin my 200-mile Camino solo hike from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela. This adventure is to celebrate my 40th birthday.

I am looking forward to this opportunity to not only “unplug” and reflect, but also to support a cause that is incredibly important to me.

Every two seconds, someone in the world needs blood and/or platelets, and one donation can potentially save up to three lives. An overwhelming majority of recipients are individuals battling cancer or chronic illness, and it’s very likely that either you or a loved one will benefit from a blood donor in your lifetime.

I learned this firsthand when, a few years ago, a stranger’s decision to donate blood saved the life of my daughter who was delivered via emergency c-section and required multiple donations. I am forever indebted to them.

In an expression of gratitude for this stranger, my goal is to recruit one pledge to donate blood for every mile that I will hike in Spain – 200 blood donors for 200 miles – by the date I am due to arrive in Santiago de Compostela: Wednesday, September 28.

To be clear, I am NOT seeking 200 blood donations by the September 28 deadline. Rather, I am hoping to get 200 individuals to add their name to my online pledge drive, and they can decide when and where to give blood at their convenience (i.e., the “honor system”).

If you are in a position to donate blood, please consider supporting my 40th birthday campaign by adding your name to my online pledge drive and provide a lifesaving gift for patients in need.

By taking an hour of your life to donate blood, you can save somebody’s life.

Sincerely,

Mike O’Rourke

Link to my virtual blood pledge

*Please Note: I confirmed with Ivar that I was permitted to post this message as I am not seeking monetary/charity contributions. I am merely asking Forum members to consider pledging their name to donate blood at some point in the future.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

On September 15, I will begin my 200-mile Camino solo hike from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela. This adventure is to celebrate my 40th birthday.

I am looking forward to this opportunity to not only “unplug” and reflect, but also to support a cause that is incredibly important to me.

Every two seconds, someone in the world needs blood and/or platelets, and one donation can potentially save up to three lives. An overwhelming majority of recipients are individuals battling cancer or chronic illness, and it’s very likely that either you or a loved one will benefit from a blood donor in your lifetime.

I learned this firsthand when, a few years ago, a stranger’s decision to donate blood saved the life of my daughter who was delivered via emergency c-section and required multiple donations. I am forever indebted to them.

In an expression of gratitude for this stranger, my goal is to recruit one pledge to donate blood for every mile that I will hike in Spain – 200 blood donors for 200 miles – by the date I am due to arrive in Santiago de Compostela: Wednesday, September 28.

To be clear, I am NOT seeking 200 blood donations by the September 28 deadline. Rather, I am hoping to get 200 individuals to add their name to my online pledge drive, and they can decide when and where to give blood at their convenience (i.e., the “honor” system).

If you are in a position to donate blood, please consider supporting my 40th birthday campaign by adding your name to my online pledge drive and provide a lifesaving gift for patients in need.

By taking an hour of your life to donate blood, you can save somebody’s life.

Sincerely,

Mike O’Rourke
Link to my virtual blood pledge

*Please Note: I confirmed with Ivar that I was permitted to post this message as I am not seeking monetary/charity contributions. I am merely asking Forum members to consider pledging their name to donate blood at some point in the future.
Due to a variety of conditions and medications I am unable to join but I sincerely wish you well in your endeavours.

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

I'm a repeat donor, but not since March of this year, on my birthday, something of a personal tradition. I scheduled for Thursday 15 sep, in Boulder Colorado, an area not served by Red Cross, so uncertain my pledge went through...

Nice idea!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm a repeat donor, but not since March of this year, on my birthday, something of a personal tradition. I scheduled for Thursday 15 sep, in Boulder Colorado, an area not served by Red Cross, so uncertain my pledge went through...

Nice idea!
Thank you very much! Your pledge will count toward my drive no matter where you plan to donate blood (Red Cross, local blood bank, hospital, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back