• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking recommendations: Leave for Aguilar de Campoo from Bilbao or Pamplona?

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm planning (hoping?) to walk the Olvidado/Viejo to the Invierno and on to Santiago, but I'm not sure whether to leave from Pamplona or Bilbao. I will be in Pamplona because I have friends who live there, but it's pretty easy to get to Bilbao, so transportation is not an issue. I have read that @peregrina2000 has called the Olvidado from Bilbao one of her favorite caminos, but I haven't been able to find opinions on the Pamplona-Aguilar Viejo route.

I would prefer not to walk along highways, and I have no objections to interminable ascents and descents. I plan to walk the Invierno because of the spectacular beauty of at least the part of the trek I saw on the train from Santiago to Pamplona; I wouldn't mind experiencing similarly breathtaking landscapes on the walk to Aguilar.

It seems that there is more information about the Olvidado from Bilbao and that it is better marked than the Viejo. Not sure if that's true, but it is my impression after looking for material here on the forum and online in general.

So, if there is anyone who has walked the Olvidado and the Viejo segments to Aguilar, I would truly appreciate your input. Similarly, if anyone has walked either one or the other, I would love to hear your comments.

Thanks to all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
but I'm not sure whether to leave from Pamplona or Bilbao.

Hi, @harmsdg,

Lucky you!!!!!

To avoid confusion, here on the forum we’ve decided to call the route from Bilbao the Olvidado (and that’s what 99% of the stakeholders along the route call it, though there are still some who are not happy about the term). And we just decided to call the route from Pamplona the Viejo. VN did a GREAT planning thread on the Viejo, which you should definitely take a look at. It is very high on my list. But I think you are right that the Olvidado from Bilbao is much better marked, has a more cohesive group of municipalities and private business initiatives, and is probably in general easier to navigate.

I think that thread shows the kinds of stages that are possible from Pamplona. But my own sense was that there were so many beautiful little detours to take that I wound up looking for GPS tracks to many off-route places. if I haven’t put them in that thread, I will be happy to share with the forum. But I have a route all plotted out in my mind, just waiting for covid to recede.

When are you thinking of walking? I’m asking because right now Ender/Cuñarro (aka Olvidado angel and prime mover and shaker) says it is not a good idea.

When are you thinking of walking? I’m asking because right now Ender/Cuñarro (aka Olvidado angel and prime mover and shaker) says it is not a good idea.
I'm looking at October/November at the moment. I know that the PaĂ­s Vasco is still struggling with the pandemic, so the situation there in late fall will also play into my decision, and I may end up choosing a completely different camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Viejo Camino from Pamlona to Aguilar de C is on the bucket list and will be an interesting alternative route west....

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back