• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking Unpaved Vertical Change

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances16, Norte/Finis18,Olvidado (Bonar)19,Norte2
Which Camino or combination of caminos has the most trail or vertical change. Not necessarily altitude.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Which Camino or combination of caminos has the most trail or vertical change. Not necessarily altitude.
If you would add that Argonne to your list this year,you would be the best person to answer your own question. I will be waiting for your opinion.

If you would add that Argonne to your list this year,you would be the best person to answer your own question. I will be waiting for your opinion.
I very much wanted to hike the GR11 this summer but am unable to get away this summer for that long. That said, I am hoping my plan for this year will give me what I am looking for. I understand it is a lot of pavement though. I am 62 and unsure of my ability to do longer than about 20K. Which caminos have you walked and which do you think offer the most non paced surfaces?
Thanks for the feedback!
Jeri

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I very much wanted to hike the GR11 this summer but am unable to get away this summer for that long. That said, I am hoping my plan for this year will give me what I am looking for. I understand it is a lot of pavement though. I am 62 and unsure of my ability to do longer than about 20K. Which caminos have you walked and which do you think offer the most non paced surfaces?
Thanks for the feedback!
Jeri
Jeri, I have only walked the primitivo,and noticed it had a fair amount of ups and downs. I am going to do the argonne and salvador this fall,so will get plenty of ups and downs. I would suggest that you read about the salvador,which should satisfy you yen for ups and downs. Consider doing the salvador from leon,then do the primitivo,and if you have time,walk on to muxia and finesterra. That should be enough for anyone. If not do the Gr10,as a friend of mine did. 550000meters of rise and fall. Buen Camino,whatever you choose!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jeri, I have only walked the primitivo,and noticed it had a fair amount of ups and downs. I am going to do the argonne and salvador this fall,so will get plenty of ups and downs. I would suggest that you read about the salvador,which should satisfy you yen for ups and downs. Consider doing the salvador from leon,then do the primitivo,and if you have time,walk on to muxia and finesterra. That should be enough for anyone. If not do the Gr10,as a friend of mine did. 550000meters of rise and fall. Buen Camino,whatever you choose!
My general plan is Olvidado to
My current plan is Olvidado to Salvador to Primativo but the stages are long with little time to prepare. Looking forward to whatever it may bring!

My general plan is Olvidado to

My current plan is Olvidado to Salvador to Primativo but the stages are long with little time to prepare. Looking forward to whatever it may bring!
Jeri, i am74 and found the primitivo very do-able. I feel that I will handle the argonne and salvador as well. If you are reasonable fit and can do some uphill training, You should have no problem. Often times our biggest obstacle is ourselves! If 5 days on the salvador seems too hard,take 6 days.Likewise on the primitivo.i suspect that you will be just fine!

Jeri. I confess that I did not know what the olvidado was,so had to look it up. It seems to be a great alternate to the Frances,and it passes through la robla,which is the first stop on the Salvador,if which I am sure is no surprize to you. It would seem that you are trying to avoid the Frances(my first choice also). So,I would suggest that you leave the Primitivo in Lugo( having done the best part of this camino already),and take the Camino Verde west and connect with the Norte. I walked a short 12 km to Boimorto and then headed to lavacola and Santiago,completely avoiding the Frances. It is well marked and takes you into Santiago by a whole different route. I suspect the Verde will become more and more popular,and maybe someday few will go to Melide. If you have any questions,feel free to ask!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never done the Olvidado, but I have done the San Salvador and the Primitivo. The San Salvador is by far the bigger challenge. I just wrote about the San Salvador, and if you click on the link, you will see the elevation profile, etc.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back