• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seems like I'll walk another camino (Mozarábe-VdlP-Sanabrés)

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I will most probably not get any vacation until October so I'm thinking of going back to Spain and do VdP then. First I thought that I could only get a couple of weeks off but now it looks like I can have 5 weeks. I might be lucky and be able to go on vacation in September instead will have to talk to the project manager. Otherwise I guess I'll start around October 4th and be in SdC 4-5 weeks later. Now I just have to go back to my normal training at home and walk walk and walk... to prepare. I have been so lazy since my last camino 2016 :-/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will most probably not get any vacation until October so I'm thinking of going back to Spain and do VdP then. First I thought that I could only get a couple of weeks off but now it looks like I can have 5 weeks. I might be lucky and be able to go on vacation in September instead will have to talk to the project manager. Otherwise I guess I'll start around October 4th and be in SdC 4-5 weeks later. Now I just have to go back to my normal training at home and walk walk and walk... to prepare. I have been so lazy since my last camino 2016 :-/
I've just finished the VdP and I had a great time.
The beginning of the VdP is so flat I'm not convinced any training is necessary. I'd never experienced those wide open landscapes before, I loved them.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The beginning of the VdP is so flat I'm not convinced any training is necessary. I'd never experienced those wide open landscapes before, I loved them.
Well as my normal stages are 35-40 km I guess I have to gets the feet a little bit ready to avoid blisters (and break in a new pair of sandals). And so have had a injury in my thigh that made the leg weak. I did some of my caminos with almost no training and my body doesn’t care about flat or hilly but when 60 % of the leg strength is gone I should take care of it before I do a long hike again so I don’t get injuried again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Great to see you back, Beatrice. As you think about your route, you might want to consider starting with the Mozárabe in Almería and carrying on on the Vdlp after the Mozárabe merges with it in Cáceres. I walked from Almería to Salamanca this year in 32 days. I do walk longer distances than many, but not at your level, so you would probably be there a lot sooner. And then from Salamanca, Gronze lists 16 days, but those are not Beatrice-length stages either. Anyway, I found the Mozárabe to be both challenging and beautiful. There are a few days of walking on stony riverbeds that are a bit of a challenge, but the route goes through Granada and Córdoba, two amazing places to see. Buen camino, Laurie

Beatrice, if you plan to walk the Via de Plata, maybe consider staying with your October start date, rather than trying to change your time off to September. From what I often read here on the forum, September can still be quite hot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well as my normal stages are 35-40 km I guess I have to gets the feet a little bit ready to avoid blisters (and break in a new pair of sandals). And so have had a injury in my thigh that made the leg weak. I did some of my caminos with almost no training and my body doesn’t care about flat or hilly but when 60 % of the leg strength is gone I should take care of it before I do a long hike again so I don’t get injuried again.
You know your body so you know what you should do. I started doing shorter stages and ended up doing 30km and more stages. This wasn't planned it's just what happened.

Beatrice, if you plan to walk the Via de Plata, maybe consider staying with your October start date, rather than trying to change your time off to September. From what I often read here on the forum, September can still be quite hot.
Good advice! Thanks for the input.

Excellent news! Woohoo! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great to see you back, Beatrice. As you think about your route, you might want to consider starting with the Mozárabe in Almería and carrying on on the Vdlp after the Mozárabe merges with it in Cáceres. I walked from Almería to Salamanca this year in 32 days. I do walk longer distances than many, but not at your level, so you would probably be there a lot sooner. And then from Salamanca, Gronze lists 16 days, but those are not Beatrice-length stages either. Anyway, I found the Mozárabe to be both challenging and beautiful. There are a few days of walking on stony riverbeds that are a bit of a challenge, but the route goes through Granada and Córdoba, two amazing places to see. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks!
I’ll look into your suggestion. I have noticed that my longer stages might be a little bit harder when there isn’t albergues all over the place. So I guess I have to plan a little bit more than usual. I mostly walk until the body say “ok enough for today” but then I might end up in the middle of nowhere in Via de la Plata :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie made a good suggestion or even start further up in Granada. That's what I did one year starting end of September. I loved walking in the fall after many previous July Caminos including the Plata from Sevilla.

My Plata/Sanabrés walks have averaged 33 km per day so I'm sure that you can arrange to get in even longer stages. I sometimes do 2 together which takes you over 40 km.

Have fun planning!

Don't you think your body is trying to tell you something? Sounds like it does care, to me. Enjoy shorter days and take it easy, no?

Don't you think your body is trying to tell you something? Sounds like it does care, to me. Enjoy shorter days and take it easy, no?
I just mean that I have more or less the same speed/distance regardless of the type of nature without pressing my self. My feet just walk.
Everyone can get an injury mine isn’t related to walking and it doesn’t get worse by walking now but I have been doing rehab for a year. I can’t walk slow then my body hurts (slow people can’t really understand that but it’s the same if I should force them to walk in 6-8 km/h their body’s will not like it). And if I walk short distances I’m normally at the albergue before they even open. Boooring. We are all different I enjoy walking and photography. Others enjoy sniffing the flowers, drinking coffee in all cafés and chatting with other pilgrims over a glass of wine. I enjoy the feel of movement, solitude and see what is around the next hill.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Pat
Agree the first sections were relatively flat. Hills after about 3 weeks. Climb up to 900-1000 m as well as Mt Pico!
Buen Camino
Happymark

B - I guess you got to do the VdlP.

Are you recently arrived back here to the site? I showed up again like 2 weeks ago after a year + hiatus. Thinking about trying to do San Salvador + Primitivo + Fin in about 16 days. Someone told me how you did better. Seems typical if I remember! Happy to see us heading back to Spain again.

I just mean that I have more or less the same speed/distance regardless of the type of nature without pressing my self. My feet just walk.
Everyone can get an injury mine isn’t related to walking and it doesn’t get worse by walking now but I have been doing rehab for a year. I can’t walk slow then my body hurts (slow people can’t really understand that but it’s the same if I should force them to walk in 6-8 km/h their body’s will not like it). And if I walk short distances I’m normally at the albergue before they even open. Boooring. We are all different I enjoy walking and photography. Others enjoy sniffing the flowers, drinking coffee in all cafés and chatting with other pilgrims over a glass of wine. I enjoy the feel of movement, solitude and see what is around the next hill.
I am planning VdlP for late September. I am hoping for some solitude also after busy caminos. I absolutely love meeting people and have been very lucky to have shared time with some of the very best. But sometimes I need uninterrupted time to process. Thanks for all the informative contributions. James

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning VdlP for late September. I am hoping for some solitude also after busy caminos. I absolutely love meeting people and have been very lucky to have shared time with some of the very best. But sometimes I need uninterrupted time to process. Thanks for all the informative contributions. James
I prefer the company of other people in the albergue, sharing a meal in the evening, breakfast together but the walk is for me "Bea time" time to contemplate, have my internal discussions with my self or just let the head go blank for a while after a stressful work year.

Buen camino maybe I catch up with you on the VdlP if you are one of the flower sniffing pilgrims, I might stay in line to photograph the flower instead of sniffing ;-)

See you on the trail....doing VLDP again this Sept, walking out of Seville on Sept 11th. In 2016 did it April /May, looking forward to seeing it in the fall. Hopefully it will be a bit drier!

"Hi, my name is Beatrice, and I am a Caminoholic". ;):cool::D

Buen camino.

Could we not form a breakaway group where we get together, sit down over a vino tinto or two and try and talk each other out of EVER walking another Camino, EVER again?

We could meet somewhere convenient, say Santiago?

Three days off the Camino and my knees are getting stiff . . .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I prefer the company of other people in the albergue, sharing a meal in the evening, breakfast together but the walk is for me "Bea time"

The Vdlp is perfect for this. I walked from salamanca earlier this year. Easy to walk alone, with no sight of anyone else for hours then arrive at the albergue or bar to meet all of the lovely other people you have been seeing for the last week.

We walked the VDLP and thoroughly enjoyed it. So different from CF. The scenery changes slowly as you walk north. We walked in late winter early spring, so spring caught up with us!! Birds and greenery..so beautiful. Starting in a poorer area, with the trail maintained and marked differently from Galicia, but never really got lost, even with the diversion for the high speed train lines. Lucky you, enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could we not form a breakaway group where we get together, sit down over a vino tinto or two and try and talk each other out of EVER walking another Camino, EVER again?

2 vinos for you then as I don't drink alcohol but I take your agua. Yes Santiago will be fine. We just have to walk there first ;-)

The Vdlp is perfect for this. I walked from salamanca earlier this year. Easy to walk alone, with no sight of anyone else for hours then arrive at the albergue or bar to meet all of the lovely other people you have been seeing for the last week.
I usually walk away from people I have met before. But now and then I do meet other people doing long stretches. But that is fine I get to meet new people and new stories every day.

€46,-

Better idea, let's meet in Seville, drink some wine then find the bus station!

OMG, there are TWO super-pace-mega-camino-walkers then? :D
Walking with a partner is quite a different experience, but a good one - if it's a nice partner, of course! :D
I love how you are comfortable with long stages and still enjoys everything about the rout. Hope you two have an awesome time at VdlP!

As you know I always hike on my own and is usually to fast to get a camino family but I'll have company this time, her name is Ariel and you can find her here: http://instagram.com/arielonadventures, unfortunately she can't join here.

You’ve found your perfect companion.
I see you and Ariel will definitely find no fault in each others’ pace and ideas on stopping places.
Buen Camino Bea & Ariel
Wish I was planning again ..... definitely thinking hard.
Ps. Surprised to read you say that you get lazy about walking when not ‘on’ camino. I thought I was unique there. Glad I’m not.

Annie

Last edited:
You’ve found your perfect companion.
I see you and Ariel will definitely find no fault in each others’ pace and ideas on stopping places.
Buen Camino Bea & Ariel
Wish I was planning again ..... definitely thinking hard.
Ps. Surprised to read you say that you get lazy about walking when not ‘on’ camino. I thought I was unique there. Glad I’m not.

Annie
Thanks!

It is a little bit on and of with the walking, as my partner is a cyclist he wants me to go out on the bike as well. I love MTB where I can still be in the woods. I got a injury in my leg a couple of years ago so it has been restricting me as well. But I do love walking at home as well. But sometimes I get lazy especially during winter in 1,5 meter snow and -30 C. It is the get started again part that is hard I guess, it is so much easier to take the bike or stay inside with a good book :)

€46,-
OMG, there are TWO super-pace-mega-camino-walkers then? :D
Walking with a partner is quite a different experience, but a good one - if it's a nice partner, of course! :D
I love how you are comfortable with long stages and still enjoys everything about the rout. Hope you two have an awesome time at VdlP!
He he I think Ariel won't do much walking by her self. As she said "My shoes are not made for walking" :)

He he I think Ariel won't do much walking by her self. As she said "My shoes are not made for walking"

Her credential is covering it, is she a boots or rail runners 'person'? C'mon, pretty sure she will nail many 40km days!

I was considering Mozárabe but want to see Sevilla so now I have to figure out if I should start in Cadiz,
Her credential is covering it, is she a boots or rail runners 'person'? C'mon, pretty sure she will nail many 40km days!
She is more of a wedge heel girl. I'm a sandal person my self.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok tickets booked for Almería so now I just hope the legs are with me for 1400 km in 5-6 weeks :) My biggest probelm will be the alberguesb not spread out on the distances I want/need to walk. But in worst case I guess I have to call home and take some more days off from work, I have one more vacation week saved.

I watched the video at and I got tears in my Eye of longing when they showed typical camino signs and arrows. Now i want to speed up time to September 12 when I leave Sweden.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
5 weeks, 1,400kms - 40km/day! Wow! Buen Camino!!!!!!!
My previous caminos:
Camino Francés (start in SJPdP) + Camino Ingles (from Ferrol) + Camino Fisterra-Muxía and back to SdC: average 33,9 (33 days)
San Salvador+Primitivo: 40,57 average (11 days)
Camino Portuguese (start in Lisboa): average 40,33 (16 days)
Camino del Norte: (start in Biarritz): average 41,9 (24 days)

It is a little bit longer (almost as as Norte + San Salvador + Primitivo) so 6 weeks might be more suitable. But my legs are made for walking.

Last edited:
Well done! That is very impressive. I have walked a few 40-45km but could not do it every day.
Buen Camino. I hope you have another wonderful and precious camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back