• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Segovia to Santa Maria de la Real Nieva

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
A long walk but probably very pleasant on a sunny day. Here it rained all day. So no snow but lots of mud. Much better than yesterday.

The Albergue is very clean but very little heat . Probably in the 40's. Hot shower and a kitchen. Some holiday here so I had to walk a km out of town to eat. Hope I make it back in the dark after a bottle of wine and Orujo.

Lots of diversity, nature wise, on today's walk.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Joe, Thanks for the updates!! I'll be starting the Madrid in two weeks, and this is a treat to get such current info == sorry to hear about the weather, however! Sounds like you have it, more or less, under control! Buen Camino!! Terry

Hey @jpflavin1 (or anyone else who has walked this stretch recently), how flat is this bit? I've been struggling a bit with the frequent ascents, particularly over rough paths. I'm hoping to do Segovia to Santa Maria in one day, but if it's anything like the first three days out of Madrid it will probably be too much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Rob,
Mundicamino has a schematic elevation map for each stage. Here's the one for Segovia to Santa Maria. Nothing like leaving from Cercedilla. I remember that it was a long day, but more because we didn't find any bar/cafe open at all (it was a Sunday, I think). I don't think the elevation will be too much of a factor for you. Buen camino! Laurie

http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos.cfm?ruta=40&etapa=5&tipo=trazado

Hey @jpflavin1 (or anyone else who has walked this stretch recently), how flat is this bit? I've been struggling a bit with the frequent ascents, particularly over rough paths. I'm hoping to do Segovia to Santa Maria in one day, but if it's anything like the first three days out of Madrid it will probably be too much.

Rob:

This was actually a pretty easy walk if no rain and mud. The landscape changed quite a bit too. As I recall, there was not much in the facilities (restaurant/bar) arena. In Huertas, I passed a bar that was padlocked at 11:00 and there was no bar in Ane that I could find. I actually got my water bottle filled by a resident. There is a bar when you first enter Vilseca. I did stop there and had breakfast. Santa Maria is a good size town but there was some kind of Holiday so almost everything was closed. I walked out of town about a km and had a good meal at a restaurant/hotel place. Only issue was I walked home in the dark. Basic Albergue bit it had hot water and some heat. On a non holiday, this town should be very Pilgrim friendly.

Joe

Thanks @peregrina2000 and @jpflavin1. I've booked a room at Hostal Avanto, which apparently about 1.5km before Santa Maria. It's raining in Segovia now (I was forced to take my croquettas and sangria inside the bar!), but hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow morning.

The sky over the mountains is looking particularly grumpy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've booked a room at Hostal Avanto, which apparently about 1.5km before Santa Maria.

Yes, next to the road. I don't know nowadays but it was a well-known food stop on the road from Arévalo to Segovia.

If you don't want to backtrack from Santa María la Real de Nieva to your accommodation, once in Pinilla-Ambroz, take the road to Pascuales. Once in Pascuales, continue on the same road that you took to go from Pinilla-Ambroz to Pascuales till it joins a bigger road (CL-605) on the outskirts of Pascuales. At the junction of both roads, turn right towards Santa María la Real de Nieva. You'll see your accommodation, isolated, on your right something like a kilometer and some meters later.

Don't miss the church in Santa María la Real de Nieva (even if you aren't too willing to walk to the town and back from your accommodation).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back