• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seizures, hospitals, and blood tests, oh my!

Luppy

If you haven't guessed by now, I have ongoing medical woes that won't prevent me from walking, but that I have to prepare for. Are there are any people with seizure conditions out there who have walked the Camino Frances? Anyone who required a blood test? I will probably need to get a blood test by the time I reach Leon. Any advice for the medically challenged? :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Blood test for what?

lynne

Talk to your doctor or your hospital/clinic where you currently have your blood taken. They will often know how to arrange for the work to be done in Spain during your stay there. The medical practice in Spain is excellent and you will be able to have all your needs cared for.

Michael

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just by way of explanation, I am not trying to learn about any of your medical conditions, but it depends what kind of bloodwork you need done (again, I don't need to know). The most important thing you can do is carry the appropriate information/medical alert, preferably in a formal document (outlining your history/condition) from your doctor (I'm sure you already know that). If you go to an private doctor or clinic, there will be a fee. Free medical care is available at the urgent centres, but if your need is not urgent I would not go there. As a user of the Spanish healthcare system several times, I can attest to its efficient, quality care.

lynne

It would also be helpful to have any documentation about your medical history in Spanish, if you were to need medical care and were unable to speak for yourself. It's always helpful to have a medication list with dosages, allergies, medical history, and names/phone numbers of your doctors. I work in an ER in Oregon and we had a patient from Australia whose doctor was in contact with us through her visit. We even had to figure out how patient privacy laws worked internationally! It was very interesting.....either way, more information is always better than none when it's your health!

most larger towns in Spain have a farmacia that has a medical technologist on hand qualified to draw blood and perform laboratory tests. Fees are quite reasonable. Look for the "Laboratorio Clinica" sign.

Reb.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back