• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Self Guided biking the Camino from Pamplona...

MelissaSue67

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to start my walk on 23 September (2016). Will be travelling from Paris by train to SJPP. Planning to spend about 8 days in Paris.
Hi,

I've received quotes for bike hire and accommodation package through four different travel companies; Rayo Travel, CaminoWays, Randonee Tours and RAW Travel.

I would love some feedback from anyone who may have used these services. I'm a bit stuck as to who to go with, and I don't want to make a wrong decision.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would do it myself. It is easy. You are paying a high premium to use a travel company, which is fine if that is what you want, but really, it is unnecessary. Make yourself a plan based on how many kilometres a day you are confident you can ride - and build in some extra time to see things along the way. For accommodation, look at this site (open each section) and book direct. For bike hire see previous threads here and here

To get luggage carried for you, try Caminofacil or Jacotrans. They will pick up and deliver bags each day.

Hi,

I've received quotes for bike hire and accommodation package through four different travel companies; Rayo Travel, CaminoWays, Randonee Tours and RAW Travel.

I would love some feedback from anyone who may have used these services. I'm a bit stuck as to who to go with, and I don't want to make a wrong decision.

I cycled from SJPP. It is very easy. I don't know who started the rumor rhat cyclists were the last ones to het bess in alburgues. That was not my experience at all. When I would ask if I needed to wait hospitaleros looked at me funny. But who knows? Anything is possible.
As a bike ride it's great! But when I walked two years latwr, it felt much more like a pilgrimage.
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It used to be quite clearly stated that cyclists would not be admitted until after a certain time (usually 6pm), to ensure walking pilgrims got a room. Booking ahead was not possible. It made sense to give walkers first priority in the days when there was very little infrastructure, and not getting a bed might mean an extra 10 kilometres, or going off-camino, something easier for a cyclist to do. These days, with many commercial private albergues, things are probably different.

When will cyclist be admitted to an albergue? Well I guess it really depends upon where you are intending to stay. The municipal/donativo albegues do have rules and I think the time is generally after 4.00 pm. I only stayed on 2 or 3 donativo albergue. I was happy to use the private ones and I NEVER had any of them turn me away regardless of what time of day I arrived. I usually rode in excess of 35 km most days (often more than 45 km) and had the stamps/cellos in my passport I had supporting evidence.:):rolleyes:

I cycled from SJPP. It is very easy. I don't know who started the rumor rhat cyclists were the last ones to het bess in alburgues. That was not my experience at all. When I would ask if I needed to wait hospitaleros looked at me funny. But who knows? Anything is possible.
As a bike ride it's great! But when I walked two years latwr, it felt much more like a pilgrimage.
Buen Camino!
Did you follow the pilgrimage walking trail? I've read that this route is quite hard for bike riders and you are encouraged to take another route? I would like to ride the trail, although I have only bike experience on road or footpaths.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I rode the Camino Portugues in Oct/Nov 2015 and used http://www.cycling-rentals.com/ It's a family run business and they are wonderful and extremely helpful. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone talking to Dee/ She lives and works out of the US, but the company is based in Portugal. They will deliver most places and have a Camino specific package. I went from Lisboa to SdC self supported. There can be some pitfalls as a cyclist - ex. we ended up carrying 2 75 lb + bikes (bike plus panniers and everything we had with us) up a mountain as it was impossible to ride the section... As to Albergue's as we were off season, there was (almost) never an issue. The only place we were turned away was in Tui (Portugal/Spain boarder) where they would not take cyclists.

I don't know who started the rumor that cyclists were the last ones to get beds in alburgues.

I had problems as a Bicigrino with Albergues and small hotels in the Meseta...best solution was to ask for a "single room" and suddenly there is "room at the inn" for a bicycle Pilgrim at a higher price.

Did you follow the pilgrimage walking trail?

I rode the entire Pilgrim trail except where the road was directly next to the trail...the Pilgrim trail is not that difficult to ride except several areas that I remember...but maybe I have a higher tolerance since I am from Colorado...entering Pamplona don't take the poorly maintained traditional trail because of all of the wooden stairs and narrow washed-out trails...instead take the very nice park-like nature trail along the river...leaving Cirauqui there was an old washed out Roman bridge that was poorly repaired followed by a 45-degree uphill climb up large cut rock stairs...but I could have gone back and taken the road around...and then climbing the hill to the Cruz de Ferro there are some areas with cut rock stairs...but don't take the road just stay on the trail because of the crazy uphill drivers...so I rode 1,000 km from SJPDP to Muxia with a 100+ lbs outfitted mountain bike...my estimate is that I rode 500+ km...pushed uphill 300+ km...and glided downhill 100+ km...and other than the hill climbs I really did not think it was that difficult to ride.

Did you follow the pilgrimage walking trail? I've read that this route is quite hard for bike riders and you are encouraged to take another route? I would like to ride the trail, although I have only bike experience on road or footpaths.
Yes, I kept to the footpath. The only place I did not was up to Alta de Perdon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

Hi Sue,

I am also looking for a good/reasonably priced bike hire company. How is your search coming on? Where are you planning to start and will you be carrying your own gear?

Hi Sue,

I am also looking for a good/reasonably priced bike hire company. How is your search coming on? Where are you planning to start and will you be carrying your own gear?

Hi natalie, i have now booked a group guided bike tour departing from leon on 9 October with Exodus. I am going to walk to leon from SJPDP. I am not very experienced with bike maintenance, plus i started to get frightened reading other people's experiences. I thought it safer for me and other pilgrims if i did a group guided tour. I am looking forward to the walk though. When i was researching self guided bike hire i found that caminoways was the best option. I hope that has helped you.

Hi natalie, i have now booked a group guided bike tour departing from leon on 9 October with Exodus. I am going to walk to leon from SJPDP. I am not very experienced with bike maintenance, plus i started to get frightened reading other people's experiences. I thought it safer for me and other pilgrims if i did a group guided tour. I am looking forward to the walk though. When i was researching self guided bike hire i found that caminoways was the best option. I hope that has helped you.
Hi Melissa Sue, please send us a report of your experience. I would love to hear how it goes with an organized group.
Joanne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Okay as this is already started I will carry on from here itself. I am starting cycling from ssjp the end of this April and will cycle the whole French way to Santiago. I have around 14 days so left myself enough time to enjoy the scenery and also don't push myself too hard. I am looking forward to the challenge.
I'm also looking to leave my car at ssjp and come black in 2 weeks as I'm driving from uk here. Anyone know anywhere safe I can leave my car and any specific place I should or should be riding. I'm a newbie so excuse the silly questions, only one week to go...

Okay as this is already started I will carry on from here itself. I am starting cycling from ssjp the end of this April and will cycle the whole French way to Santiago. I have around 14 days so left myself enough time to enjoy the scenery and also don't push myself too hard. I am looking forward to the challenge.
I'm also looking to leave my car at ssjp and come black in 2 weeks as I'm driving from uk here. Anyone know anywhere safe I can leave my car and any specific place I should or should be riding. I'm a newbie so excuse the silly questions, only one week to go...
Hola San04 - welcome to the Forum. Firstly - there are no silly questions. If you do not know, how are you going to find out if you do not ask. As for long term car storage, sorry I do not know SJPP well enough to advise. Have a great camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?
I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back